watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We have 2 in top 7 do you agree?

Started by f321ffc, May 08, 2019, 04:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

I do not agree. Why is seri not on the list too.
for diffent reasons in each case they have been poor signings and three places that could have been taken with more productive individuals.
sure zambo had a couple of better games but that really isn't saying much and against wolves he was back to his worse. we need far more reliable and consistent players next season.

ffcne

Quote from: ALG01 on May 08, 2019, 04:14:16 PM
I do not agree. Why is seri not on the list too.
for diffent reasons in each case they have been poor signings and three places that could have been taken with more productive individuals.
sure zambo had a couple of better games but that really isn't saying much and against wolves he was back to his worse. we need far more reliable and consistent players next season.

Yes me too .Seri should be on the list.
Le Marchand was probably as a squad player .
But has played more games as Mawson being injured and Chambers playing in midfield.
Would let Maxime off that list .

Andy S

I cannot get onto that site so what is this list?

filham

Hard to say who our two worst signings were, easier tow say that the two best were Chambers and Babel and then the rest were failures.

I don't think La Marchand needs to be singled out as he was, I think,   relatively low cost and only a makeweight in the Seri deal. He has been more use to us than Schurlle, Nordviet, Vietto, Mensah  and Markovic

Statto

Funny, if we had to pick a defender (which we should, given it was our weakest area this year) I'd have Chambers as the worst defensive signing.

He was probably the defender of which I had the highest expectations and from which we had the poorest performances, in his primary position.

Yes he has made a half-decent makeshift DM, but is barely an upgrade on Mcdonald/Norwood, and if Anguissa hadbeen able to do what we bought him for (play as sole DM) then Chambers would actually have been as useful this season as a chocolate fireguard.

I Ronic

Chris Baird used to be booed on and off in his first season with use. Zoltan Gera was thought a lightweight until Andy Johnson got injured and the rest is history. Clint Dempsey the most expensive American brought by a Premier league team at the time took a while to find his feet and Dembele the 1st used to carry the ball from side to side but never forwards at the begining.
Don't give up on players just yet. I'm hoping SP is the new Roy.

davew

Fake result, sure we have the top 7??
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

f321ffc

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Twig

Quote from: Statto on May 08, 2019, 06:06:22 PM
Funny, if we had to pick a defender (which we should, given it was our weakest area this year) I'd have Chambers as the worst defensive signing.

He was probably the defender of which I had the highest expectations and from which we had the poorest performances, in his primary position.

Yes he has made a half-decent makeshift DM, but is barely an upgrade on Mcdonald/Norwood, and if Anguissa hadbeen able to do what we bought him for (play as sole DM) then Chambers would actually have been as useful this season as a chocolate fireguard.

Mawson for me. Not because of ability but because of non availability. Chambers has done a very decent job in protecting the back four, ok not the role he was brought in for but valuable none the less. Mawson has contributed the square root of nothing.

filham

Oh dear, here we are trying to choose the failure of the season instead of player of the season which of course is just about impossible.
Can't wait for next season to begin so that we can stop reminding ourselves of just how bad this one was.

davew

Quote from: filham on May 08, 2019, 09:55:46 PM
Oh dear, here we are trying to choose the failure of the season instead of player of the season which of course is just about impossible.
Can't wait for next season to begin so that we can stop reminding ourselves of just how bad this one was.
Agreed!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Harsh on Le Merchand. I think he is being made a bit of a scape goat.

On a different note, what has happened to Joe Hart? He went from being Man City and Englands number one, to a nobody. Is the life of a 'Keeper shorter than every other position?
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on May 08, 2019, 06:06:22 PM

I was so excited when i thought the backline for the season would be Fabri, TFM, Chambers, Mawson and Ryan Sessegnon with Rico, Christie, MLM, Ream and Bryan as backup; with Betts and Odoi not even good enough for 2nd XI. How could we be the worst defensive in the league?

For me TFM and Chambers were equally disappointing, i would have laughed at anyone that said at the start of the season that Odoi is a better defender than both of them. Chambers was good as a DM, but ultimately destroyed the mix of the team.

Marcelo Bielsa bought Anguissa as a future sole DM, while Anguissa has never played that position, I still think he can learn that position especially as McDonald understudy for the first half of the season. Slavisa said a few days before deadline day that McDonald needs cover and I think Anguissa was a good reserve sole DM and be a FFC star in future seasons of premier league.

wheelerdeeler

I actually like Le Marchand. Think he could do a job for us next season as well, especially if we look at playing 3 at the back.

Would personally have Fabri, Vietto, Schurrle and Fosu-Mensah ahead of him in-terms of the worst signings. Could make a case for Mawson as well given he was probably the defender we were looking to build around and he's spent about three quarters of the season injured.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 08, 2019, 11:20:22 PM
Harsh on Le Merchand. I think he is being made a bit of a scape goat.

On a different note, what has happened to Joe Hart? He went from being Man City and Englands number one, to a nobody. Is the life of a 'Keeper shorter than every other position?

Granted, MLM was terrible against top six teams (for me the worst defender against the top six) and he has been poor at left back against average teams, but i actually cannot remember him having a bad game at centre back against teams not competiting in Europe.

According to papers, Fulham has bid on a RB, RCB and LB; and I would be really happy injury prone Mawson's cover for next season is MLM.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on May 09, 2019, 02:07:43 AM
I actually like Le Marchand. Think he could do a job for us next season as well, especially if we look at playing 3 at the back.

Would personally have Fabri, Vietto, Schurrle and Fosu-Mensah ahead of him in-terms of the worst signings. Could make a case for Mawson as well given he was probably the defender we were looking to build around and he's spent about three quarters of the season injured.

Think it's harsh to put Fabri in that list, a player rated higher than Ryan Babel by his former team. He has two bad (but not shockingly bad) games where he let in 5 goals and made 16 saves, then thrown to the scrap heap. The former 2x Turkish Goalkeeper of the season must feel unfairly treated given his last 70 league games he has conceded less than a goal per game.

Your spot on with Schullre, Vietto and TFM though, all given enough chances.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 09, 2019, 02:24:42 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on May 09, 2019, 02:07:43 AM

Think it's harsh to put Fabri in that list, a player rated higher than Ryan Babel by his former team. He has two bad (but not shockingly bad) games where he let in 5 goals and made 16 saves, then thrown to the scrap heap. The former 2x Turkish Goalkeeper of the season must feel unfairly treated given his last 70 league games he has conceded less than a goal per game.

Your spot on with Schullre, Vietto and TFM though, all given enough chances.

It's not to say I believe Fabri's a bad player. I personally think he's better than Bettinelli based on the fact Bettinelli only made 4 more saves than him in 5 more games (and Bettinelli was a disaster against Cardiff away). And I realise that's probably a very unpopular opinion, but it's obvious who's staying and who's leaving this summer considering Bettinelli has tenure with the club and only signed a new deal in October, and I'm still fine with Bettinelli as our #1 next season.

But we spent 5-6m on him to play 180 minutes of football in all competitions this season. That's a bad signing.

Burt

Quote from: Andy S on May 08, 2019, 04:51:24 PM
I cannot get onto that site so what is this list?

David Suarez
Fred
Mateo Kovačić
Alireza Jahanbakhsh
Joe Hart
André-Frank Anguissa
Maxime Le Marchand

Neil D

Quote from: Twig on May 08, 2019, 07:53:34 PM
Mawson has contributed the square root of nothing.

I failed Maths O level  three times so I'm not sure how much that is but I reckon it's still too much.