watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All English European final

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, May 10, 2019, 08:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

But how many ENGLISH players will play in it?

Some rule needs to be introduced that a certain amount of English players have to be in every squad. It might be good news for the premiership, meaning more money into their coffers, but what benefit is it to the national team?
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

simplyfulham

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 10, 2019, 08:52:40 AM
But how many ENGLISH players will play in it?

Some rule needs to be introduced that a certain amount of English players have to be in every squad. It might be good news for the premiership, meaning more money into their coffers, but what benefit is it to the national team?

There already is though, it's the homegrown rule.

Statto

Someone should do some kind of study on the belief (I'd say 'myth') that there's a correlation between the proportion of a country's own nationals playing in its domestic league, and the success that country has at international level

I don't know the answer but I doubt it's a particularly strong correlation. Among the best international teams, you've some like Brazil and Argentina whose domestic leagues are populated almost entirely by their own nationals, but others like England and most of the other European teams whose leagues are full of foreigners. Similarly among the worst international teams, you've some like China and the Middle Eastern countries whose leagues are full of foreigners, but also loads who's leagues are full of their own nationals and they're still crap.

Very little correlation as far as I can tell.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2019, 10:46:21 AM
Someone should do some kind of study on the belief (I'd say 'myth') that there's a correlation between the proportion of a country's own nationals playing in its domestic league, and the success that country has at international level

I don't know the answer but I doubt it's a particularly strong correlation. Among the best international teams, you've some like Brazil and Argentina whose domestic leagues are populated almost entirely by their own nationals, but others like England and most of the other European teams whose leagues are full of foreigners. Similarly among the worst international teams, you've some like China and the Middle Eastern countries whose leagues are full of foreigners, but also loads who's leagues are full of their own nationals and they're still crap.

But what's the correlation between a country such as Brazil, that whilst their players all played in Brazil, they were practically unbeatable, yet now most ply their trade in Europe and have therefore become more European style players, their national team has fallen off the wayside?

Statto

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 10, 2019, 11:27:45 AM
Quote from: Statto on May 10, 2019, 10:46:21 AM

But what's the correlation between a country such as Brazil, that whilst their players all played in Brazil, they were practically unbeatable, yet now most ply their trade in Europe and have therefore become more European style players, their national team has fallen off the wayside?

Valid point

Russianrob

Have always detested Chelsea even before I supported Fulham over 50 years ago.It does not matter if they have British players or foreign they like their supporters are generally arrogant donkeys.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Russianrob on May 10, 2019, 12:58:27 PM
Have always detested Chelsea even before I supported Fulham over 50 years ago.It does not matter if they have British players or foreign they like their supporters are generally arrogant donkeys.

As a whole, their supporters are the worst I've interacted with. Usually racist. Always arrogant. And think they're better than everyone and anyone.

Robbie

There will be more Spanish players than English on the fields.

Twig

I get that some supporters like to see home grown players in their squads. Don't really care myself. Some of my FFC favourites were from the UK but many were from overseas. Once they've pulled on a Fulham shirt I tend to forget about nationality.
In terms of impact on the England team, I have my doubts. British players can benefit hugely in their development from playing in overseas leagues and it is refreshing to see more young players doing just that.

andyk

Delighted to see an all English representation in the European finals.  Very best of luck to the finalists, wishing them well, cheering them on, applauding their efforts.

Apart from Chelsea, of course, they can go phuck themselves.