watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (11/05/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 11, 2019, 07:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Oldham Athletic's win over Fulham earns them the Emirates FA Cup Giant-Killing Award

Oldham keeper Daniel Iversen shakes hands with a fan after handing him his gloves at Craven Cottage, following their 2-1 win over Fulham

Oldham Athletic have won the 2019 Emirates FA Cup Giant-Killing Award, following their third round victory over Fulham.

The League Two club beat off competition from AFC Wimbledon, Barnet and Newport County in the voting with their 2-1 win at Craven Cottage earning 34 per cent of your votes via TheFA.com.

With three divisions between them and Fulham, the Latics were given little chance of progressing before their trip to face the Premier League outfit in January.

It looked as though that was going to be the case too, when Dennis Odoi put the hosts in front early in the second half.

But the Latics bounced back when AFC Bournemouth loanee Sam Surridge equalised from the penalty spot to draw level things up in the 77th minute.

Despite the prospect of a draw and a replay at Boundary Park on the cards, caretaker boss Peter Wild and his team smelt an upset and Callum Lang duly notched their 88th minute winner.

The win led to memorable scenes for Oldham's players and fans, who were able to celebrate together by the Thames, and that win picked up 34 per cent of the votes in this year's Giant-Killing Award shortlist.

"It was probably the best moment of my life," said Lang, on hearing of the award.

"It was a good moment for me, all my family were there and the way the game went was all a factor.

"The team performance from start to finish was great, we had a plan, we stuck to it and got the result."

AFC Wimbledon's 4-2 win over West Ham was a close second with 27 per cent, Newport County's 2-1 victory against Leicester City was third with 25 per cent and Barnet's away win against Sheffield United was fourth with 14 per cent of the votes.

Representatives of Oldham Athletic will be at Wembley for next weekend's FA Cup Final, where they will be presented with the award by Cup giant-killing legend Ronnie Radford and representatives of Wigan Athletic, who won the award last season. 

http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/may/10/oldham-athletic-win-fa-cup-giant-killing-award-100519

WhiteJC

Paul Mesron predicts Fulham v Newcastle

Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson has predicted a final day stalemate for Newcastle United as the Magpies face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

Newcastle will be looking to end their campaign on a positive note and continue their improvement in the second half of the season despite doubts surrounding the future of manager Rafa Benitez.

Fulham will also want to build on an encouraging end to a season that has ended in relegation.

Merson cannot pick a winner between the two sides though and has predicted them to share the spoils in a 2-2 draw.

"I hope Scott Parker gets the Fulham job. They've shown a bit of respectability towards the end, they've had a plan at least, and Newcastle are a team who are hard to play against at the moment as we saw on Saturday night. I think both of them will have a go," Merson wrote on the Sky Sports website.

OPINION
A draw, as Merson suggests, maybe the most likely outcome for this fixture, with both sides not wanting to the end the season with successive Premier League defeats. Both sides lost last weekend, Newcastle 3-2 at home to title chasing Liverpool, and Fulham losing 1-0 at Wolves. There is also a potential question mark about the respective futures about both teams managers as the season reaches it's ending, Benitez is wanting Newcastle's board to show more ambition in the transfer market if he to remain in charge at St James' Park. Fulham's Scott Parker, who was named in caretaker charge until the end of the season after replacing Claudio Ranieri, and has overseen a recent up turn in form for his side, but could not prevent the London side from being relegated. A draw would give both sides a reasonable end to the season, with more pressing matters and concerns to attend over the summer before the start of next season.

https://nothingbutnewcastle.com/2019/05/blogs/paul-mesron-predicts-fulham-v-newcastle/

WhiteJC

What if Fulham and Newcastle United had swapped managers in summer 2018?

If we go back to summer 2018 and if Fulham and Newcastle United had swapped managers, where would the two clubs be now?

With Rafa Benitez' future totally up in the air, it is a very pertinent question.

Just how valuable is having the right manager?

Going into Sunday's game, Newcastle are on 42 points and Fulham with a bit of a small late rally are on 26 points. However, the real story of their season is that the Cottagers were relegated after 33 Premier League games with only 17 points on the board at the time.

So could/would Rafa Benitez have kept Fulham up?

Whilst more to the point for Newcastle fans, would Slavisa Jokanovic have relegated Newcastle United?

The Serbian manager was followed at Craven Cottage in November 2018 by Premier League winning boss Claudio Ranieri, then one-time Newcastle midfielder Scott Parker from February 2019.

We may well find out next season how this team/squad would get on without Rafa Benitez...

More interesting maybe though, is considering Rafa's value as a manager elsewhere.

Fulham were promoted a year ago full of momentum and playing good football.

Over £100m was then spent on the squad plus a number of high profile loan signings.

The area to focus on for a number of reasons, is Fulham's defending, or rather the lack of it.

In the opening 33 games that brought relegation, the West London club conceding a massive 76 goals. Would that have happened with Rafa Benitez?

Amongst the new recruits, when it came to defence, over £20m was spent on centre-back Alfie Mawson and left-back Joe Bryan. High profile loans for the backline were Callum Chambers (Arsenal), Sergio Rico (Sevilla) and Tim Fosu-Mensah (Man Utd).

Also, around £50m was spent on central midfielders Jean Michael Seri and Andre Zambo Anguissa.

Can you really imagine Rafa Benitez would have relegated Fulham with £100m to strengthen the team/squad?

The defence would have been cracked into shape but with decent money available, every reason to assume that they would also have recruited decent quality going forward.

Maybe the best way to look at it, is that a manager such as Rafa Benitez, all but ensures that you finish a number of positions higher up the league table than would otherwise happen.

It then comes down to the backing a manager of Rafa's level gets.

Which brings us back to Newcastle United.

The Spaniard doesn't want to be fighting relegation every season, finishing 10th-15th instead of possible/probable relegation if he wasn't there.

Give Rafa a budget in line with the club's revenue (7th/8th highest in the Premier League) and who knows where he can take NUFC?

It would be nice to find out.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2019/05/what-if-fulham-and-newcastle-united-had-swapped-managers-in-summer-2018/

WhiteJC

Fulham appoint Scott Parker as permanent manager after successful interim spell

In charge: Scott Parker ( REUTERS )

Scott Parker has been appointed as Fulham's permanent manager after a successful interim spell in charge.

The former England midfielder has impressed in a caretaker role since he replaced the sacked Claudio Ranieri in February, becoming the third man in the Craven Cottage dugout this season, even though he failed to save Fulham from relegation.

Parker is now entrusted with leading the Cottagers to an immediate return to the top flight after a disastrous season in the Premier League.

The 38-year-old, in his first managerial role, has shown promise ahead of a full season in England's second tier, guiding the club to three top-flight wins on the bounce for the first time in over seven years.

"I'm delighted to be appointed Head Coach of Fulham Football Club and I thank the Chairman for entrusting me with this responsibility, as well as the support and encouragement that both he and Tony Khan have provided me," he told the club's official website.

"The players, staff and fans have all been fantastic with me since I took temporary charge.

"We are now all focused on ending this campaign with a positive result on Sunday against Newcastle and look forward to preparations for the new season, which have already begun."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-appoint-scott-parker-as-permanent-manager-after-successful-interim-spell-a4139281.html

WhiteJC

Matchday Preview

Fulham v Newcastle United - Craven Cottage - Sunday 12th May 2019 - 3pm

Fulham doubts

Marcus Bettinelli, Lazar Marković, Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Newcastle doubts

DeAndre Yedlin, Miguel Almiron, Florian Lejeune, Sean Longstaff, Ki Sung-yeung
Tickets

A limited number of tickets are still available for supporters to purchase on General Sale.
Weather

It will remain dry on Sunday with sun behind the clouds, and temperatures around 16 degrees.
#PassOnPlastic

All draught beer and wine will be served in reusable cups, and we ask that fans drop these into specially designated bins when they're done.
Travel Information

Please be aware that Hammersmith Bridge has been closed indefinitely for repair works.
Post-match

The players will re-emerge for a pitch walk after the game to show their appreciation to the fans for your support this season.
Fulham Flutter

A shirt signed by Ryan Sessegnon is just one of the prizes up for grabs in the final Fulham Flutter of the season.
Dafabet match odds

Fulham: 6/4

Draw: 5/2

Newcastle: 7/4

To take advantage of Dafabet's various price boosts for this fixture, follow this link.

Odds correct at the time of writing. 18+ only. begambleaware.org
Live commentary

Tune into the App or the Newcastle United match centre for full live commentary of the game from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid.
He said

"We have one game left to play. We have to try and do well, we want to finish one place higher if we can." - Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez
Newcastle last five

L: Newcastle 2-3 Liverpool

D: Brighton 1-1 Newcastle

W: Newcastle 3-1 Southampton

W: Leicester 0-1 Newcastle

L: Newcastle 0-1 Crystal Palace

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/10/matchday-preview

WhiteJC

Fulham Appoints Scott Parker As Head Coach

Shahid Khan, Chairman of Fulham Football Club, today promoted Scott Parker from Caretaker Manager to the full-time post of Head Coach, effective immediately.

"Scott was brave to accept a very difficult challenge in February when appointed as our Caretaker Manager," Khan said. "Since that time, day by day, whether in training or on matchday, we've undeniably become a better football club.

"Scott will now have another challenge to face, and that is to return Fulham to the Premier League. I fully believe Scott is more than up to the task. I appreciate that he's been clear for many years that his ultimate goal is to excel as a manager, and he will be given every opportunity to succeed at Fulham. I also have no doubt that he knows and loves this Club every bit as much as our supporters, and that's an intangible that everyone can welcome."

Scott Parker added: "I'm delighted to be appointed Head Coach of Fulham Football Club and I thank the Chairman for entrusting me with this responsibility, as well as the support and encouragement that both he and Tony Khan have provided me.

"The players, staff and fans have all been fantastic with me since I took temporary charge. We are now all focused on ending this campaign with a positive result on Sunday against Newcastle and look forward to preparations for the new season, which have already begun."

Parker, 38, arrived at Fulham from Tottenham Hotspur in summer of 2013 as one of the Khans' first signings. In his first season with the Club, Parker made 32 appearances and scored two goals, including a strike from outside of the box, late in the game, to win at 2-1 Norwich City on Boxing Day.

The following season he was appointed Club Captain and would later help Fulham reach the Championship Play-Off Semi-Finals in 2016/17, departing that summer after having made 128 appearances for the Whites while notching six goals.

Parker then returned to Fulham as First Team Coach in the summer of 2018 before being installed as Caretaker Manager following Claudio Ranieri's departure on February 28th. Under Parker's guidance, Fulham narrowly lost to Chelsea and Liverpool before producing our only three-match winning streak of the season, recording clean sheets in all three games.

Parker earned 18 caps for England, for whom he played all four of the Three Lions' matches at Euro 2012, while also serving as captain earlier the same year versus the Netherlands at Wembley Stadium. Parker was voted Player of the Year in 2011 by the Football Writers' Association and, overall, has made 590 career appearances for club and country, pocketing 36 goals.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/10/scott-parker-fulham-head-coach

WhiteJC

Fulham confirm Parker as permanent manager as they prepare for return to Championship football.. after being rejected by Wenger

Scott Parker appointed manager of Fulham on a permanent basis
    Former England midfielder had been in caretaker charge of the club since March
    He wasn't able to save them from relegation out of the Premier League
    Parker, 38, has signed a two-year contract as they prepare for the Championship

Fulham have confirmed Scott Parker as their permanent manager as they prepare for life back in the Championship.

The former England midfielder took charge of the Craven Cottage club as caretaker manager following the sacking of Claudio Ranieri in February.

But the 38-year-old wasn't able to keep Fulham in the Premier League with their relegation confirmed following a 4-1 defeat at Watford on April 2.

Scott Parker has been confirmed as Fulham's permanent manager on a two-year contract

Parker puts pen to paper on a permanent deal as Fulham return to the second tier next season

Parker signs his full-time manager contract with Fulham co-owner Tony Khan

His appointment on a two-year contract comes after Fulham once again failed to entice former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger to the job.

They initially approached Wenger back in November following the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic, appointing Ranieri instead.

And undeterred by that knock back, the club went for the Frenchman once again this month.

Speaking at his press conference ahead of Sunday's final match of the season against Newcastle, Parker said: 'It's a two-year contract and I'm very excited about the challenge. I know how things work, the daily dynamics of team, and where improvements need to be made.

'Now, the challenge lies with me to move things forward. Ultimately, success comes from a culture and a desire - that needs to be our foundation. We'll drive a culture here that our fans will recognise.

'I've got twenty years of playing experience and twenty years of being in changing rooms. I want to use that experience to help the Club be successful and move things forward.'

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan said: 'Scott was brave to accept a very difficult challenge in February when appointed as our Caretaker Manager,'

'Since that time, day by day, whether in training or on matchday, we've undeniably become a better football club.

'Scott will now have another challenge to face, and that is to return Fulham to the Premier League. I fully believe Scott is more than up to the task.

'I appreciate that he's been clear for many years that his ultimate goal is to excel as a manager, and he will be given every opportunity to succeed at Fulham.

'I also have no doubt that he knows and loves this Club every bit as much as our supporters, and that's an intangible that everyone can welcome.'

Parker added in a statement: 'I'm delighted to be appointed Head Coach of Fulham Football Club and I thank the Chairman for entrusting me with this responsibility, as well as the support and encouragement that both he and Tony Khan have provided me.

'The players, staff and fans have all been fantastic with me since I took temporary charge.

'We are now all focused on ending this campaign with a positive result on Sunday against Newcastle and look forward to preparations for the new season, which have already begun.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7015067/Fulham-confirm-Scott-Parker-permanent-manager.html

WhiteJC

Parker appointed Fulham head coach

Caretaker manager gets the job on a permanent basis looking to return the club to the Premier League

Fulham have announced that they have appointed Scott Parker as their head coach.

Parker had been caretaker manager at Craven Cottage since February following the departure of Claudio Ranieri.

While he was unable to save Fulham from relegation, the 38-year-old has improved their form ahead of their final match in the Premier League at home to Newcastle United on Sunday.

He masterminded three wins from four matches in April, earning a nomination for the Barclays Manager of the Month award.

"We are now all focused on ending this campaign with a positive result on Sunday against Newcastle and look forward to preparations for the new season, which have already begun," Parker told the club's official website.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1214051

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: Fulham appoint ex-captain as permanent manager

Parker has won three and lost six of his nine games in charge

Scott Parker has been appointed Fulham manager on a two-year contract.

The former England midfielder, 38, was promoted from first-team coach to caretaker boss in February after Claudio Ranieri was sacked.

He lost his first five games in charge as Fulham were relegated from the Premier League, but then won three of the next four matches.

Chairman Shahid Khan said he believed Parker is "more than up to the task" of returning the club to the top flight.

"Now, the challenge lies with me to move things forward," said Parker. "Ultimately, success comes from a culture and a desire - that needs to be our foundation. We'll drive a culture here that our fans will recognise.

"I've got 20 years of playing experience and 20 years of being in changing rooms. I want to use that experience to help the club be successful and move things forward."

He was capped 18 times by England and played nearly 600 professional games, mainly in the Premier League for Charlton, Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Tottenham, before ending his career at Fulham in June 2017.

A year later he returned to the club as first-team coach, having been in charge of Tottenham's Under-18 side.

"Scott was brave to accept a very difficult challenge in February when appointed as our caretaker manager," Khan said. "Since that time, day by day, whether in training or on matchday, we've undeniably become a better football club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48230034

WhiteJC

Fulham appoint Scott Parker as permanent manager

The former England midfielder took over from Claudio Ranieri as caretaker manager in February

Scott Parker has been appointed as permanent manager of Fulham ahead of their return to the Championship.

The former England midfielder took over from Claudio Ranieri as caretaker manager in February by which point the club's relegation was all but inevitable.

However, Parker has begun to imprint positive changes on the squad and recently led the side to a hat-trick of wins and clean sheets, convincing owner Shahid Khan that he is the right man to plot their return to the Premier League.

"I'm delighted to be appointed Head Coach of Fulham Football Club and I thank the Chairman for entrusting me with this responsibility, as well as the support and encouragement that both he and Tony Khan have provided me," Parker said in a statement on Fulham's official website.

"The players, staff and fans have all been fantastic with me since I took temporary charge.

"We are now all focused on ending this campaign with a positive result on Sunday against Newcastle and look forward to preparations for the new season, which have already begun."

Chairman and owner Shahid Khan said: "Scott was brave to accept a very difficult challenge in February when appointed as our caretaker manager.

"Since that time, day by day, whether in training or on matchday, we've undeniably become a better football club.

"Scott will now have another challenge to face, and that is to return Fulham to the Premier League. I fully believe Scott is more than up to the task."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/scott-parker-fulham-manager-confirmed-appointment-epl-a8908181.html

WhiteJC

Cauley Woodrow: Barnsley striker extends contract to 2022

Barnsley's joint top scorer Cauley Woodrow has extended his contract by a year until the summer of 2022.

The striker, 24, scored 19 goals in all competitions to help secure an instant return to the Championship by finishing as League One runners-up to Luton Town.

He joined the Tykes on loan from Fulham last August, with the deal being made permanent in January.

"I've loved my time at Barnsley so far. We've got a good squad and I'm looking forward to more time here," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48230130

WhiteJC

Parker named new Fulham boss on two-year contract

Fulham have this afternoon confirmed the permanent appointment of Scott Parker as the club's manager on a two-year contract.

The former England captain has impressed the club's hierarchy since stepping up to replace Claudio Ranieri on a caretaker basis in February. Although the 38 year-old was unable to prevent the Whites from being relegated from the Premier League, Parker did lead Fulham to three consecutive wins against Everton, Bournemouth and Cardiff City, keeping clean sheets in all three games.

He told the club's official website that he was delighted to be offered the opportunity to do the job on a permanent basis:

"I'm delighted to be appointed Head Coach of Fulham Football Club and I thank the Chairman for entrusting me with this responsibility, as well as the support and encouragement that both he and Tony Khan have provided me.

The players, staff and fans have all been fantastic with me since I took temporary charge. We are now all focused on ending this campaign with a positive result on Sunday against Newcastle and look forward to preparations for the new season, which have already begun."

Parker, who was previously first team coach at Fulham under Slavisa Jokanovic and the Tottenham Hotspur under-18 head coach for a season, finished his illustrious playing career at Craven Cottage, making 128 appearances for the Whites and scoring six goals.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan added:

"Scott was brave to accept a very difficult challenge in February when appointed as our Caretaker Manager. Since that time, day by day, whether in training or on matchday, we've undeniably become a better football club.

Scott will now have another challenge to face, and that is to return Fulham to the Premier League. I fully believe Scott is more than up to the task. I appreciate that he's been clear for many years that his ultimate goal is to excel as a manager, and he will be given every opportunity to succeed at Fulham. I also have no doubt that he knows and loves this Club every bit as much as our supporters, and that's an intangible that everyone can welcome."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/05/parker-named-new-fulham-boss-on-two-year-contract/

WhiteJC

Spurs favourite warns Daniel Levy not to splash the cash on teen star this summer

The Tottenham favourite was speaking in an interview with Bwin where he discussed Mauricio Pochettino's summer transfer plans.

Tim Sherwood believes that Tottenham dodged a bullet by not signing Ryan Sessegnon last summer.

The Fulham starlet was linked with a move to both Spurs and Manchester United last summer, but opted to stay with the Cottagers for their return to the Premier League.

Sessegnon has endured a difficult campaign at Craven Cottage this term with Scott Parker's side being relegated with a whimper, and Sessegnon showing precious little in terms of his undoubted potential.

Speaking to Bwin , Sherwood said that it's crucial that the youngster picks a position to specialise in before he can become a top talent.

He said: "I think Tottenham should forget about signing Ryan Sessegnon and probably thank their lucky stars they didn't spend a fortune on him last summer.

"Sessegnon is a very young player but he had a very disappointing season for a player tipped to cost a fortune less than 12 months ago.

"I don't think Sessegnon has decided what he wants to be yet. He doesn't know if he is a full back or a winger and I can't see him fulfilling that potential until he settles in one position.

"Sessegnon has been damaged as a result of Fulhams' season in the Premier League."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/spurs-favourite-warns-daniel-levy-16257386

WhiteJC

Ki ruled out for Fulham clash, says Rafa

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benítez confirmed that midfielder Ki Sung-yueng will miss the Magpies' final Premier League game of the season at Fulham on Sunday (kick-off 3pm).

Ki picked up a knee injury following Newcastle's 3-2 defeat against Liverpool at St. James' Park which leaves the South Korean international unavailable for the trip to face the Cottagers.

United lie in 14th place on 42 points, three adrift of Bournemouth and, with a healthier goal difference compared to the Cherries, Benítez admitted his squad will target a strong finish to their top flight campaign.

Benítez said: "We have more or less the same problems that we had before. The kind of injuries they have, they will not be ready. We have also lost Ki, who has a knee problem. It is not very serious but we don't want to take the risk.

"We have one game to play and we have to try to do well. We can finish one position higher in the table and we will try to do that.

"It will not be an easy game but you still have to be fair with the professionals who have been working so hard for the whole season. We have to approach the game with the same mentality and try to win.

"I have the same feeling as when we played against Liverpool – we are professionals and we will try to do our best. (At the end of the season), when you have players with little knocks, you don't want to take risks with them.

A victory in West London will see Benítez's squad overpass their points tally sustained last term - with the Magpies ending in tenth pace.

Although United will not claim a spot in the Premier League's top half this season, the Spaniard believes his side have performed well after failing to win their opening ten league fixtures.

Benítez added: "You can be lucky one year but, to be consistent, you need to have everything in place. Brighton, Huddersfield and ourselves were promoted and we were more or less there but when you have Wolves and Fulham spending £100 million, it can be totally different.

"Last year, with 44 points, we finished tenth. This year, tenth place have 50 points already. That means that this year has been more difficult. Last summer, everybody was spending big money. To be where we are now is a great achievement. It may not be as big as last season but it was more difficult for sure."

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/ki-ruled-out-for-fulham-clash-says-rafa

WhiteJC

Scotty's at the Wheel

Finally confirmation of the news we have pretty much all been expecting over the past couple of weeks, Scott Parker is our new Head Coach. I didn't for a second think that Tom Cairney would sign a new contract without knowing who the new manager was going to be so I guess this has been in the works for a bit of time. Given that Cairney, the leader of our squad, is clearly happy with the news, I think that we can be confident that it's a welcome appointment from the players point of you.

I don't know about you, but I feel so much more confident about relegation this time around than I did five years ago and one of the reasons for that is because I think we have a Head Coach who understands the club so much more than Magath did. Parker finished his career at Fulham. He was the one of the first signings of the Khan era back in 2013 and has been our captain and club captain. This is a signing that we can all get excited about. While he doesn't have mountains of experience, if we can keep hold of Stuart Gray then I believe that Scott has all the ingredients to be a successful manager. He was always the sort of player who would run himself into the ground for his club and the fact that he has already instilled that sort of attitude into players who were facing relegation, means that we are in good hands.

One of my fondest memories from his playing days at Fulham was in 2016 in a dull and uninspiring 1-1 draw at Birmingham. It was just after the January transfer window when Moussa Dembele had been rumoured to be joining Spurs, but the move didn't come off and Dembele's head dropped. He looked dis-interested for the remainder of the season. Going into the last few minutes with the game still level, Jokanovic brought Dembele off but instead of leaving the pitch quickly he decided to make his feelings known and went slowly, making the home and away crowd go nuts considering that the game could still be won by someone. Parker was our captain that day and he sprinted to Dembele, took him by the arm and ran him off the pitch. He wasn't waiting for some kid to throw his toys out of his pram, he was focused on the game and trying to give Fulham a chance to gain all three points. There is no messing around with Parker, and that is the sort of thing we need going into a very difficult Championship campaign.

However, I think we need to have our realistic heads on next season. We don't know how the squad will look come August and we know that there are a lot of areas where we need strengthening. The Championship is probably the most difficult league in the world to get out of, even for managers and coaches who have a tonne of experience. Without knowing what our squad will look like it's hard to really say what our target should be next year, but I'd imagine that the Khan's are focused on promotion. Obviously that's what we would like, but I think we have to back a long-term project. If it doesn't happen next season it's not the end of the world. The Khan's have acted swiftly, giving Parker a full summer and pre-season which is great news. This is a new chapter in our history, and I can't wait to see what it brings.

#COYW

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/05/scottys-at-the-wheel/

WhiteJC

Collins Column: Parker, Better, Faster, Stronger

Fulham have a new permanent boss in place for the roughshod road of the Championship, and it is a rookie in many regards who will be at the helm, in Scott Parker. The former skipper has done a good job since taking over, and yet it is hard to truly define a reign that has been mostly done in the light of first impending, and then confirmed, relegation. Jack J Collins digs a little deeper.

So, the deal is done and Scotty has the wheel on a permanent basis. It is the appointment we were all expecting, despite talk of approaches for Arsene Wenger, and whilst there are obvious drawbacks to Parker's stewardship, there are plenty of upsides as well.

The first piece of good news is that the three victories and clean sheets secured against Everton, Bournemouth and Cardiff have somewhat broken the spell of the 'Parker curse' which was still holding sway amongst the more superstitious parts of the fanbase—so I was glad that we could get that one out of the way.

On a more serious note, the biggest upside of Parker getting the role on a full-time basis is the rapport that he appears to have with the squad, and the fact that he is a trusted and down-to-earth modern footballer who will understand the pressures and rigmaroles of what it takes in both the Championship and the modern game as a whole.

Tom Cairney has spoken at length about why Parker was able to transform the dressing room after a strange period with Claudio Ranieri, and I imagine part of the reason that the captain signed a new long-term deal committing him to the club was that he will have been given assurances regarding who was to be in the manager's chair at the start of next season.

You imagine that to young players, Parker will be not only a shining example of what can be achieved in the game. As a former Premier League Player of the Year and England captain, he is uniquely placed to show just how far a player can go with the right attitude and application.

Interestingly, he appears to have developed somewhat of a bond with some newer players as well as those who he knew from his playing days at the club. Whilst I expect Stefan Johansen to return to play under the man who held the No. 8 shirt before him, I've noticed that Parker seems to have become close to Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa too.

I've heard from more than one source close to the club that Parker rates the Cameroonian midfielder highly, and if his appointment allows us to keep the likes of Anguissa in the Championship, then Parker serves more than just a tactical purpose – he can also become a figurehead for players to rally around and remain in black and white next season.

Tactically, the new gaffer also seems to fit. Having cut his coaching teeth under Mauricio Pochettino, Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri; as well as working under the likes of Mourinho, Villas-Boas, Capello, Hodgson, Curbishley and Roeder; Parker should have a decent understanding of a number of systems, styles of manager and ways of playing.

His favoured 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 appears to have been gleaned from the two real Cruyffian ideologists in that list in Pochettino and Jokanovic, meaning that Fulham should return to the Championship playing the style that brought them up – possession-heavy and progressive in attack – which is music to the ears of us whose shine for this side was dulled and battered by Ranieri's catenaccio-influenced attempts to bludgeon out a counter attacking unit from a team clearly not built to play that way.

However, he does not possess the same single-minded approach that Jokanovic did. Whereas the Serbian rigidly stuck to his principles no matter the occasion – something on the whole which I respect, but didn't always come off – I feel that Parker is able to rotate his pack of cards slightly differently, employing differing solutions to attempt to claim three points. He's shown that he's not afraid to tinker with things that are not working, and I imagine we will see more rotation of formation to suit the opponent, next season.

The last major positive for me is the respect that Parker seems to command in the game. Former teammates, opponents, managers and clubs all seem to have all the time in the world for the new gaffer, and that respect will allow him to build bridges in terms of signings, both loan and permanent. If he can go back to former club Tottenham to pick up a prodigious youth talent who could light up the Championship, in the way that Reece James has at Wigan on loan from Chelsea, or Mason Mount or Harry Wilson has at Derby, to name but a few, then perhaps Fulham could be on to a winner.

This has all been sunshine and roses so far, and it would be insincere of me to not also address the fallbacks that this appointment may well have. Whilst Kit Symons' heart was in the right place when Fulham appointed him as a permanent manager, not that long ago, it was evident from the start that he simply did not have the managerial chops to turn Fulham into a force in the Championship; and his appointment came from the heart, not from the head. The fact that he has not had another hot seat since suggests that even he knew that he probably wasn't cut out to be a number one in the dugout.

There is a slight concern that Parker's appointment is from the same mould. He took a squad bereft of confidence and being played hopelessly out of shape, restored some normality and saw a spike in performances and results that is not unthinkable given the quality present within the squad. If Fulham can keep that level of talent above the ceiling of others in the Championship next year, there is no reason to think that Parker will not succeed, but if the levels drop below that, how much ability does he have to squeeze the very most out of a squad with clever tactical tweaks and ingenious solutions on the training field.

We have seen at Manchester United that since Solskjaer's permanent appointment, the original feelgood factor quickly wore off and the superior tactical nous of opponents has seen United slip up against opposition you would not be expecting a squad of that quality to be slipping up against. I do have underlying concerns that a similar situation might be in play at Fulham, although I do hope that Parker's education under some exceptional managers, a seemingly excellent tactical Number Two in Matt Wells, and a squad who appear to deeply respect his experience and authority will combine to make his reign a success.

We won't really know if we've got this right or wrong until November, I would suggest, so for now, all that's left to do is congratulate Scotty on his appointment, get behind him and the lads and believe in the project. He's shown in his time at the helm that he is capable of bringing this squad up a level from where they sat. If he can do so again, and he's backed accordingly, there's no reason that this can't be the beginning of something beautiful.

All together now: "Scotty's at the wheel, tell me how good does it feel!"

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-05-10-collins-column-parker-better-faster-stronger/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Newcastle United

SUN 12 May 2019   Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage

Salomon Rondon, whose loan deal at Newcastle expires this summer, scored his 10th league goal of the season last weekend

TEAM NEWS

Fulham will assess full-back Denis Odoi, who missed the defeat by Wolves after being concussed in last month's win against Cardiff.

Newcastle midfielder Ki Sung-yueng is ruled out of their final game because of a knee injury.

Full-back DeAndre Yedlin, who this week underwent groin surgery, is also absent.

Miguel Almiron, Sean Longstaff and Florian Lejeune continue their rehabilitation from injuries.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@Mark_Scott_: Fulham bid farewell to the Premier League on Sunday but they won't be saying goodbye to Scott Parker, who has landed the manager's job on a permanent basis, having overseen three wins from the last four games as caretaker.

It remains to be seen whether Newcastle's manager is still in charge next season, with the Toon fans desperate for Rafael Benitez to remain as talks continue about a new deal.

Meanwhile, both sides' star striker might be making their final appearance for the club, with Aleksandar Mitrovic tipped to leave Craven Cottage and Salomon Rondon's very successful loan spell on Tyneside coming to an end.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Fulham manager Scott Parker: "The challenge lies with me to move things forward.

"Ultimately, success comes from a culture and a desire - that needs to be our foundation. We'll drive a culture here that our fans will recognise.

"The way I want to be as a coach won't change. I'm a coach that's very much into communication. I like to give the players ownership, responsibility and clear guidance."

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez on his future: "We have one game left to play. We have to try and do well, we want to finish one place higher if we can.

"I have some players asking me questions about the future, but still we don't know.

"We've waited eight months, so we can wait another 10 days."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Newcastle are awkward opponents at the moment, as Liverpool discovered on Saturday.

The big questions, as ever, for the Magpies are will manager Rafa Benitez stay, and will he get the money that he wants to spend?

I think the answers are 'yes' and 'no'... but he will get some of it, and enough to make some more improvements to his squad.

Prediction: 1-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham have won eight of their past nine home league games against Newcastle, including each of the last six (five of them in the Premier League).
    The Magpies have kept clean sheets in three of the last four top-flight meetings, although those shut-outs all came on Tyneside.

Fulham

Fulham could win three consecutive Premier League home games for the first time since a four-match streak in 2012.
    They have conceded just one goal in four top-flight matches, after conceding at least twice in each of their previous 13 fixtures.
    The Cottagers have won their final game in just one of their last six Premier League seasons, a 3-0 victory against Swansea in 2013.
    Ryan Babel has been directly involved in each of Fulham's last six league goals at Craven Cottage, scoring three and setting up three.

Newcastle United

Newcastle have won their final league game of the season in each of the past four campaigns, scoring 13 goals and conceding just one, although all those matches were at St James' Park.
    The Magpies have not won away from home on the final day of a top-flight season since beating Tottenham 3-0 in 1976.
    They have taken just five points from their last 12 Premier League matches in London, and have lost more away games in the capital (76) than any other side.
    Salomon Rondon has been directly involved in 45% of his side's Premier League goals this season, scoring 10 and assisting seven - only Eden Hazard (49%) boasts a higher figure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48165990

WhiteJC

Scott Parker promises to create 'a culture and a desire' in relegated Fulham after being confirmed as permanent head coach

Scott Parker has promised to create the right "culture" at Fulham after being appointed the club's new head coach.

The 38-year-old has been in charge since Claudio Ranieri was sacked in February and has been pushing the club's owners to make a decision over his future.

In an interview with Telegraph Sport Parker had outlined his desire to get the job on a permanent basis and attempt to bring relegated Fulham back up from the Championship next season.

The club's vice-chairman Tony Khan was at last weekend's narrow defeat away to Wolverhampton Wanderers and has stayed on to resolve who will manage the team next season.

Parker wanted the decision to be made before Fulham's final Premier League game of the season, at home to his former club Newcastle United, and has already been putting plans in place for an overhaul of the squad. He has signed a two-year deal.

In particular the futures of Aleksander Mitrovic and Ryan Sessegnon, both in demand from a number of Premier League clubs have to be sorted out.

Parker was promoted from first-team coach, having returned to Fulham last summer, and was presented with a difficult series of fixtures. Although he lost his first five games there was a marked improvement in Fulham's performances and Parker won three league games in a row, keeping three clean sheets, before the defeat at Wolves.

The former Fulham and England midfielder has made no secret of the fact that he wanted to become a manager and would probably have sought a job at another club had he not been appointed at Craven Cottage.

"Now, the challenge lies with me to move things forward," said Parker. "Ultimately, success comes from a culture and a desire - that needs to be our foundation. We'll drive a culture here that our fans will recognise," Parker said.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan said he believed Parker is "more than up to the task" of returning the club to the top flight. "Scott was brave to accept a very difficult challenge in February when appointed as our caretaker manager," Khan said. "Since that time, day by day, whether in training or on match-day, we've undeniably become a better football club."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/10/scott-parker-promises-create-culture-desire-relegated-fulham/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth's Harry Arter reportedly keen on Fulham switch after confirming Cardiff City exit

Bournemouth's Harry Arter spent the season on loan at Cardiff City.

According to a report in the Irish Independent, Bournemouth's Harry Arter is keen to join recently relegated Fulham after confirming his exit from loan club Cardiff City.

"I loved every minute of my time at Cardiff. The atmosphere in that stadium was just incredible and from the moment I walked into the club, the fans were fantastic to me. It was just such a shame that we couldn't quite stay up," Arter told the Irish Independent after confirming his exit from Cardiff City.

It is said the Bournemouth player could now be set for a move to Fulham as he wants to move to a club closer to home.

The Cottagers have just appointed Arter's brother-in-law Scott Parker as their new permanent manager, seemingly strengthening the possibility of a potential switch to Craven Cottage.

The Republic of Ireland international still has two years left on his contract at Bournemouth where he picks up £40,000 per week in wages, according to Spotrac.

But Arter hasn't been a regular with the Cherries since the 2016-17 campaign. He managed just 11 league starts for Bournemouth in the 2017-18 campaign, before joining Cardiff on a season-long loan deal this season.

At 29, his influence is seemingly on the wane, but he has still shown his capabilities in a Cardiff shirt this season after making 25 Premier League appearances for the Bluebirds, averaging 2.5 tackles per game.

Fulham will be looking to make several changes this summer as they will seek an immediate return to the top-flight. Arter could be an astute buy, although he may have to lower his current wages to push through a move.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/05/10/bournemouths-harry-arter-reportedly-keen-on-fulham-switch-after/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Breaking News: Scott Parker Appointed As Fulham Head Coach
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is our initial reactions to Fulham appointing Scott Parker as their head coach. Co-hosting this episode was Emilio Di Nello, and he shared his view on the move, and why he thinks Parker's appointment is different than when Kit Symons was named head coach several seasons ago, He also compares Parker to Frank Lampard, who is now coaching in the Championship.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/5/10/18564782/cottage-talk-breaking-news-scott-parker-appointed-as-fulham-head-coach