watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Striker Situation

Started by nikhil24, May 14, 2019, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danitar

What about Che Adams, he's like for like with Mitrovic and I think Adams is better on the ball

Statto

Quote from: OldBrownShoe2 on May 14, 2019, 02:16:38 PM
With a billionaire owner, parachute payments, likely sales and Tony Khan effectively running the show, I am sure we can afford to buy players rather than loan them.

With FFP, wages exceeding revenues, 70-80% of last summer's spending not yet accounted for, most of those expensive signings having fallen in value, and even Sessegnon only having 12 months left under contract, I am not so sure!

Personally I've no problem with loans however 

Matt10

Our shots on target overall needed help. We averaged 3.8 on target a game and about 12 total. Our top 3 leading goal scorers took the most shots, which doesn't say much. So, anyone in the championship who has 10+ goals, or someone lower than that with 15+, would be a target for me. Striker or Winger doesn't matter. Regarding Mitro, as much as I love the traditional hold-up striker, it may be time for a system more pace to get behind the lines to mix things up a bit. Assuming Mitro is off and away of course.

filham

Quote from: Jamie88 on May 14, 2019, 12:35:51 PM
How is everyone forgetting the imminent return of the goal machine that is Rui Fonte? I think we will be in safe hands whilst he's banging in his 30 goals next season.
For how long are you going to leave your tongue in your cheek, not all the way to August I hope.

filham

Quote from: Newry FFC on May 14, 2019, 03:36:18 PM
We need to replace AK with a direct likeness, but with a bit of intelligence.
Teams will sit back and let us do our slow build up. Mitrovic will grab a good few goals but if teams go defensive we need a fast direct brute of a player to add unpredictability and speed into the attack.

Ak would be perfect if he had a brain. But Mitrovic needs support or we need to adapt our attacking play, as we leave him without support, or he's too slow, that and he'll burnout if used every game
A million or two spent on a summer brain transplant, or a psychology course for AK47 could be money well spent with a better chance of success than say 10m on a new striker based on a Stats program.

Jeroen

How about Vincent Janssen from Spurs - he hasn't done anything there so needs an escapee, but he was a quality striker before his spurs tenure and we have a knack of revitalising players careers

Sting of the North

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 14, 2019, 03:37:49 PM
Quote from: filham on May 14, 2019, 11:06:33 AM
Not many teams playing two up top these days, at times Babel was alongside Mirovic and provided the required pace.

Next season it looks as if we could be without Babel and Mitrovic which means Ayite becomes the lone striker. We need a couple of new signings.

There is of course Fonte but I think he has demonstrated that he is not effective in the Championship.

064.gif

No way that happens.     He's a decent backup championship winger.    Which game in the promotion season did Ayite play up top?

Funny, because he was a preferred starter for his first two seasons, in which the team reached the playoffs in both. Maybe that is the definition of decent backup, but I see him as a potential starter. Also, he has looked quite good in his limited PL appearances in my opinion.

But to try to answer your question, he started 10 games up top in our promotion season according to the stats I can find. Other starters up top were Rui Fonte (12), Kamara (7), Mitrovic (15) and Johansen (3). I know that seem like 47 games, so maybe missed something but should be fairly correct. All of Ayite's starts we're before Christmas, but I won't list the games.

filham

Quote from: Jeroen on May 14, 2019, 07:59:07 PM
How about Vincent Janssen from Spurs - he hasn't done anything there so needs an escapee, but he was a quality striker before his spurs tenure and we have a knack of revitalising players careers
[/quote

We also have a knack of spending bigtime on disappointing strikers.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on May 14, 2019, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: OldBrownShoe2 on May 14, 2019, 02:16:38 PM
With a billionaire owner, parachute payments, likely sales and Tony Khan effectively running the show, I am sure we can afford to buy players rather than loan them.

With FFP, wages exceeding revenues, 70-80% of last summer's spending not yet accounted for, most of those expensive signings having fallen in value, and even Sessegnon only having 12 months left under contract, I am not so sure!

Personally I've no problem with loans however

As the most expensive players are on long contracts, costs are in the future and we can afford to spend the next two years, but it would be an understatement to say things are dire if we don't get promoted the next two years. We talk about giving Parker a go, but he really has our future in his hands.

I really hope we bring in someone with real experience for a bit to help our inexperienced manager and limited DoF who is "best in the world" at getting funding and a novice at spending it on football players.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Newry FFC on May 14, 2019, 03:36:18 PM
We need to replace AK with a direct likeness, but with a bit of intelligence.
Teams will sit back and let us do our slow build up. Mitrovic will grab a good few goals but if teams go defensive we need a fast direct brute of a player to add unpredictability and speed into the attack.

Ak would be perfect if he had a brain. But Mitrovic needs support or we need to adapt our attacking play, as we leave him without support, or he's too slow, that and he'll burnout if used every game

If he had a brain cell he would be playing for a top club and not us