watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Striker Situation

Started by nikhil24, May 14, 2019, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikhil24

Obviously, our defence was the major issue this season. However, our strike force was far from impressive. I think that the problem was playing with one striker in the form of Mitro. He is strong enough to control any ball that is played over to him in the air by using his chest to control it and holding defenders off the ball. But he has no pace. This was a big problem when playing against fast premier league defenders. This meant that he held up the ball well and tried to turn and run past the defenders which he obviously could not do.

I have no idea why none of the managers thought about playing Ayite as a second striker due to his pace. We can see Mitro's heading capability which gives him a significant advantage over the opposition. Ayite playing next to him would allow Mitro to either header or flick the ball on , leaving Ayite in a one on one situation. This way we have a big target man and a fast player to run off him. Maybe this is something that we should take into the championship if we are able to hang on to Mitro...

filham

Not many teams playing two up top these days, at times Babel was alongside Mirovic and provided the required pace.

Next season it looks as if we could be without Babel and Mitrovic which means Ayite becomes the lone striker. We need a couple of new signings.

There is of course Fonte but I think he has demonstrated that he is not effective in the Championship.

KeenCottager

Surely Parker will be able to loan in a half decent Striker from one of his previous clubs - Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle (Gayle) etc.

Woodrow got 20 goals and promoted and is bound to score against us next season.

Humphries has gone.

We're really light up front if Mitro leaves / gets a long term injury.

Jamie88

How is everyone forgetting the imminent return of the goal machine that is Rui Fonte? I think we will be in safe hands whilst he's banging in his 30 goals next season.

Mike the White

.... and not forgetting AK47! He's still ours at the moment.   With a new management could we all have a change of heart and give him another go??

jarv

N_O_W_S

Current premier league strikers whose contracts expire this summer (not all realistic obviously:

- Sturridge: be surprised if liverpool renew his contract, but someone will snap him up.
- Welbeck: Expect arsenal to renew or other prem to sign
- Giroud: Expect Chelsea to renew due to transder ban
- Andy Carroll: Avoid. no idea where he will end up.
- Okazaki: would love a cheeky contract offer. Still decent at 33.
- Babel & Markovic: NO COMMENT
- Sako: Crystal Palace. Expect to resign but would be a good target if actually available.
- Llorente: Spurs dont spend money so expect to see him renew to play backup to Kane again.
- Crouch: 10 years ago yes!

Not much choice!

N_O_W_S

Quick look at Championship strikers of note whose contracts are expiring:

- Gary Hooper
- Frazier Campbell
- David Nugent
- Wayne Routledge
- Marco Matias
- Callum McManaman
- Andre Green
- Will Buckley
- Freddie Sears

Mickeyboro

None of the above. We need to aim higher...

junior white

Think its been announced that Welbeck will be leaving, his problem is injuries but a fit Welbeck I would take but then if he were fit some teams would want him

Hooper like Welbeck has had injury issues (if we had to sign one I would go with Welbeck as I believe he is younger)
Campbell is very hit or miss
Nugent given one up front he wouldn't be a bad call but age against him at 34 i guess
Routledge more of a winger also 34 so age against him
Green is also more of a winger, has done well at Pompyt in league 1
Sears been around for ever it seems but still only 29, his championship record is not that good i do not think, league 1 level he has done well at
McManaman is again more of a winger I believe
Don't know much Matias or Buckley

nikhil24

If we can't manage to keep Mitro and have to make do with what we have. Our only attacking options are Kebano, Ayite, Kamara, Fonte and Johansen at the moment. They are not the worst (apart from Fonte :005:), but do not have the shooting ability that we will need. Ayite is the closest player we will have to a striker.

N_O_W_S

Quote from: nikhil24 on May 14, 2019, 02:07:43 PM
If we can't manage to keep Mitro and have to make do with what we have. Our only attacking options are Kebano, Ayite, Kamara, Fonte and Johansen at the moment. They are not the worst (apart from Fonte :005:), but do not have the shooting ability that we will need. Ayite is the closest player we will have to a striker.

Johansen is a DM as well. Not sure why he is on your list!

nikhil24

Quote from: Ols_S on May 14, 2019, 02:11:44 PM

Whoops my bad, did not mean to include him!

OldBrownShoe2

With a billionaire owner, parachute payments, likely sales and Tony Khan effectively running the show, I am sure we can afford to buy players rather than loan them. That said our scouts, such as we have, can surely go to the lower divisions or leagues? Scotland and Ireland used to be good hunting grounds as our history will show.
Keep the faith!

nikhil24

Quote from: OldBrownShoe2 on May 14, 2019, 02:16:38 PM
With a billionaire owner, parachute payments, likely sales and Tony Khan effectively running the show, I am sure we can afford to buy players rather than loan them. That said our scouts, such as we have, can surely go to the lower divisions or leagues? Scotland and Ireland used to be good hunting grounds as our history will show.
Keep the faith!

As we have seen from this season, loaning is a bad idea due to the players not playing to their full potential as they are not committed to the club (except Babel). However, it could also be a benefit as it reduces the risk of wasting money on players that will not be an effective addition to the team. A good example of this is Rui Fonte. Hopefully, the Khans will learn from this disastrous season and put more thought into our summer signings.

junior white

Quote from: OldBrownShoe2 on May 14, 2019, 02:16:38 PM
Keep the faith!
Dont forget to factor in the loss of income if the riverside goes ahead

Sting of the North

Quote from: nikhil24 on May 14, 2019, 02:24:55 PM

As we have seen from this season, loaning is a bad idea due to the players not playing to their full potential as they are not committed to the club (except Babel). However, it could also be a benefit as it reduces the risk of wasting money on players that will not be an effective addition to the team. A good example of this is Rui Fonte. Hopefully, the Khans will learn from this disastrous season and put more thought into our summer signings.

I think other than Babel, also Chambers and Rico at least showed every effort and didn't look like worse attitude wise than anyone else. The same goes for Vietto I would say, he just wasn't up to the standards required. I also believe that Schürrle's problem was not lack of effort in particular, or rather he didn't lack effort because he was a loan player, I think that is just how he is as a player. Not the kind of player you want in a relegation scrap, but would have been very helpful if we were a better team.

Actually, only TFM looked like he really couldn't care less in my opinion. And even then I would be hesitant to put that down to him being on loan, as I have nothing to compare to. Some people just have bad body language and/or attitude. 

In short, I think you are fundamentally wrong, or at least that there's no evidence backing up your claim. You can also look at last season. Did Norwood, Targett, Mitro, Kalas and Piazon look like they weren't committed?

With that said, having loan players is not ideal compared to having them permanently since they all need to be replaced after the season. But it is about availability and budget and whatnot as well, so not always easy to avoid.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Ols_S on May 14, 2019, 02:11:44 PM

Didn't he actually play as a number 9 at times early last season though? Not saying he is a striker, but as far as I know he has never played as a true DM either.

aaronmcguigan

We need to replace AK with a direct likeness, but with a bit of intelligence.
Teams will sit back and let us do our slow build up. Mitrovic will grab a good few goals but if teams go defensive we need a fast direct brute of a player to add unpredictability and speed into the attack.

Ak would be perfect if he had a brain. But Mitrovic needs support or we need to adapt our attacking play, as we leave him without support, or he's too slow, that and he'll burnout if used every game

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: filham on May 14, 2019, 11:06:33 AM
Not many teams playing two up top these days, at times Babel was alongside Mirovic and provided the required pace.

Next season it looks as if we could be without Babel and Mitrovic which means Ayite becomes the lone striker. We need a couple of new signings.

There is of course Fonte but I think he has demonstrated that he is not effective in the Championship.

064.gif

No way that happens.     He's a decent backup championship winger.    Which game in the promotion season did Ayite play up top?