watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lyle Taylor

Started by H4usuallysitting, May 26, 2019, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Could he do a job for us in the championship....scores goals in the lower divisions.... shouldn't think he'd be loads of money either

Jims Dentist

I've been thinking that also.

sunburywhite

Saw him play today

Dont think he is anywhere near good enough
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

bobby01

I have seen Charlton a fair few times this season, I think Aribou has been their stand out player, a bit disappointing today.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: sunburywhite on May 26, 2019, 09:15:34 PM
Saw him play today

We should be buying players proven at the championship level (sometimes older) and players with potential to improve significantly (normally younger). He maybe good, but i doubt he is either. He is a good buy for another Championship club, that haven't got enough money to get a proven scorer, as he can score.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 27, 2019, 05:07:26 AM
Saw him play today

We should be buying players proven at the championship level (sometimes older) and players with potential to improve significantly (normally younger). He maybe good, but i doubt he is either. He is a good buy for another Championship club, that haven't got enough money to get a proven scorer, as he can score.

With that rationale, would you have talked Norwich out of signing Teemo Pukki last season who at 29 had never played in England.  He'd be decent as a squad player instead of bringing in the likes of Cyriac, Fonte, Kamara. We need options with serious goal scoring threat

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Newry FFC on May 27, 2019, 05:45:37 AM
Saw him play today

With that rationale, would you have talked Norwich out of signing Teemo Pukki last season who at 29 had never played in England.  He'd be decent as a squad player instead of bringing in the likes of Cyriac, Fonte, Kamara. We need options with serious goal scoring threat

Well, Teemo Pukki obviously was ready to improve significantly so is the kind of player we should be buying, but if I'm honest given his age I wouldn't have suspected that. I can see a strong comparison between Lyle Taylor now and Teemo Pukki a year ago, but that doesn't mean Lyle Taylor is the next Teemo Pukki.

Besides, Teemo Pukki has scored 8 goals in the Bundesliga, which I would class is proven at the Championship level.

Sting of the North

Saw him play today

I think it would likely have been reasonable to be very sceptical of the success chances for Pukki. He hasn't really set the world alight anywhere before, not even Celtic which is a team for which many players have scored for fun. He only has reasonable scoring stats in the Danish league, and that league is not even close to the Championship. Maybe other stats told a different story, or maybe someone saw something that most others missed. However, most likely Norwich struck gold by accident. I would guess that they thought they got a reasonable squad player for a good price, but they got so much more. Some times things just work out much better than expected.

Therefore, my short answer is that I would have talked them out of it if the stated intention was to get a potential top scorer at Championship level, but not if they wanted a decent squad player.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 27, 2019, 05:52:10 AM
Saw him play today

Well, Teemo Pukki obviously was ready to improve significantly so is the kind of player we should be buying, but if I'm honest given his age I wouldn't have suspected that. I can see a strong comparison between Lyle Taylor now and Teemo Pukki a year ago, but that doesn't mean Lyle Taylor is the next Teemo Pukki.

Besides, Teemo Pukki has scored 8 goals in the Bundesliga, which I would class is proven at the Championship level.

But it wasn't that obvious before the fact, as you also state. As such, he was not the obvious kind of player to buy, but rather an exception to the rule you set out. Also, at most he scored 5 goals in the Bundesliga in a season. That doesn't really translate to being proven at Championship level.

Finnans Right Peg

Pukki is a one hit wonder and wont get to double figures next year and lyle taylor isnt worth the risk would much prefer to sign a striker as back up that will score double figures on the cheap and .I reaf wednesday want 7 million for rhodes thats a bargain

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on May 27, 2019, 07:11:05 PM
Pukki is a one hit wonder and wont get to double figures next year and lyle taylor isnt worth the risk would much prefer to sign a striker as back up that will score double figures on the cheap and .I reaf wednesday want 7 million for rhodes thats a bargain
Rhodes has scored 20 league goals in the past four seasons, an average of 5 a season. Hardly setting the world alight, and at 30 next season he ain't gonna be getting any better in all likelihood.

Finnans Right Peg

But in those 4 years how many games has he started and also in the 4 years how much money have we spent on strikers that havent scored 20 goals between them

bencher

We should be looking to get either or both of a young and hungry striker in the Tammy Abraham mould, and a proven goalscorer with recent pedigree, in the Dwight Gayle mould.

Stay well clear of Jordan Rhodes, Gary Hooper, Chris Martin, Cameron Jerome etc.