more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

KMac and our midfield next season

Started by TommyFFCGun, May 29, 2019, 02:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyFFCGun

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on May 29, 2019, 04:11:49 PM
We defo missed kmac's leadership last season always thought of him as our real captain .I would keep hom atound even if I woudn't start gim everyweek

Absolutely agree with this. Tom has grown in stature but if KMac is on the field it's him giving the team talks in the huddle not TC.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: TommyFFCGun on May 30, 2019, 11:03:47 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 30, 2019, 02:47:15 AM
Who are the five midfielders better than Seri? Based on current form McDonald, Anguissa, Johasen and Cairney maybe ahead of him, but i think coming off the bench next season it won't be long before he breaks into the team's regular starting XI. Who is the fifth central midfielder better than him, please don't tell me Cisse?

I honestly don't see the infatuation with Seri. I have no doubt he has talent but after a blistering start he faded and I cannot see how someone once strongly linked with Barcelona is going to settle for the a season or more in the Championship.

If Seri won't settle to play in the championship, then he can either
a) stop playing football (not likely he wants the money) or
b) get a transfer (but whose going to pay his transfer fee that doesn't give us a loss) .

If Seri get offered a transfer near breakeven, then FFC will surely sell. But, this is not likely to happen.

If Seri get offered transfer at a huge loss (like £15m), then i) we can not sell or ii) sell him and cut £290k per week in wages (e.g. cut the entire midfield's wages).

Better plan keep Seri and let him earn his place from the bench. If he gets his value back up to breakeven, then he can leave.

TommyFFCGun

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 30, 2019, 11:26:59 AM
Quote from: TommyFFCGun on May 30, 2019, 11:03:47 AM
Who are the five midfielders better than Seri? Based on current form McDonald, Anguissa, Johasen and Cairney maybe ahead of him, but i think coming off the bench next season it won't be long before he breaks into the team's regular starting XI. Who is the fifth central midfielder better than him, please don't tell me Cisse?

I honestly don't see the infatuation with Seri. I have no doubt he has talent but after a blistering start he faded and I cannot see how someone once strongly linked with Barcelona is going to settle for the a season or more in the Championship. He is more likely to go than Ryan S. As for Cisse I do not know why he has never been given a consistent run. I am not saying he is any sort of answer but it would be worth knowing what we have. A midfield featuring a combination of Anguissa, McDonald, Cairney, Luca DT, O'Reilly, Stefand maybe Cisse all battling for places is good enough for me. It's up top and the defence that concerns me more. As I said I want to see some real pace injected into the team.
Cheers. I am still trying to work out how to quote only one person in a conversation.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 29, 2019, 10:09:11 PM
Quote from: Statto on May 29, 2019, 08:52:06 PM
Agree with the general sentiment on this thread that McDonald, Johansen and Cairney have a solid track record in the Championship (did anyone else notice Johansen made the play-offs for the third season in a row?) and having added Anguissa to that, we've nothing to worry about in CM.

I haven't yet seen any credible, specific rumours about Seri and perhaps I'm the only one, but I really hope he also stays, albeit unlikely. I actually think he's probably the most inherently talented player in our squad and getting dropped for Chambers, a hugely less talented player, was purely down to the fact that in a relegation battle, a bus is more useful than a Bugatti unfortunately. But Seri would be some player in the Championship IMO.

I won't question why you think he is what I bolded, but I will say that I wouldn't want him starting over the 3 other players I mentioned as starters...and I'd almost bet my car that HE wouldn't be ok as a bench player.   That would only hurt his stock in the long run.

Seri might well be a good championship midfielder...but he's 6th on the squad when it comes to midfielders I want to see playing on the pitch.   

How do you rate better?   I didn't mean to imply that Seri wasn't more talented than...say, our youth midfielders.   Obviously he's got talent.

But if Drequissa, Stefjo and Cairney are the projected starters... Best case scenario for Fulham would be that you can bring Seri in for Tom at the 70th minute, or start him instead of Tom for less important matches or when Tom is hurt.

Not every midfielder can play every position.    Seri is poo as a holding mid.   So is Tom.

Seri is below average as a box to box (epl), so is Tom.

I'd just rather see Tom on the pitch instead of Seri, and I don't think that will be ok with Seri.

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 30, 2019, 03:23:55 PM
Agree with the general sentiment on this thread that McDonald, Johansen and Cairney have a solid track record in the Championship (did anyone else notice Johansen made the play-offs for the third season in a row?) and having added Anguissa to that, we've nothing to worry about in CM.

I haven't yet seen any credible, specific rumours about Seri and perhaps I'm the only one, but I really hope he also stays, albeit unlikely. I actually think he's probably the most inherently talented player in our squad and getting dropped for Chambers, a hugely less talented player, was purely down to the fact that in a relegation battle, a bus is more useful than a Bugatti unfortunately. But Seri would be some player in the Championship IMO.

I won't question why you think he is what I bolded, but I will say that I wouldn't want him starting over the 3 other players I mentioned as starters...and I'd almost bet my car that HE wouldn't be ok as a bench player.   That would only hurt his stock in the long run.

Seri might well be a good championship midfielder...but he's 6th on the squad when it comes to midfielders I want to see playing on the pitch.   

How do you rate better?   I didn't mean to imply that Seri wasn't more talented than...say, our youth midfielders.   Obviously he's got talent.

But if Drequissa, Stefjo and Cairney are the projected starters... Best case scenario for Fulham would be that you can bring Seri in for Tom at the 70th minute, or start him instead of Tom for less important matches or when Tom is hurt.

Not every midfielder can play every position.    Seri is poo as a holding mid.   So is Tom.

I'd just rather see Tom on the pitch instead of Seri, and I don't think that will be ok with Seri.

Projected starters as it stands should be Anguissa, Seri and Cairney IMO.

Whitesideup

Tom and Seri together in the middle is not a good fit, both playmakers who do not have the tackling presence of others, such as Anguissa and Kmac. Therefore hard to accommodate both in same starting line-up.

Thought Tom did look premiership quality when playing in the middle. Seri is quality on the ball, but somehow does not seem to exercise the influence on the game that a playmaking central midfielder of his quality should.  Needs to add a bit more of a Danny Murphy dimension to his game, and be more of the hub. Also, Anguisssa improved as season went on. Hopefully we saw the real him against Liverpool, when I thought he was excellent.

Harry Arter? Another good championship midfielder, and, I believe, Scott Parker's brother-in-law, but fell out with Eddie Howe. Maybe not the best for the dressing-room?

Statto

Seri is far far better at tackling than Cairney, but I'll concede not a DM. I'm pretty sure he was brought in as a direct replacement for Johansen, which was a good idea IMO. Unfortunately, in the PL we tried to remedy a crap defence by filling the midfield with DMs. This time it was Anguissa and Chambers, just like last time it was Parker and Sidwell. IMHO those tactics are conducive of crap, unsuccessful football, and I neither hope nor expect to see us playing that way next season. As such, I think that if Seri stays, his competion will be Johansen, not Cairney, and only one DM (whether its Anguissa, KMac or Arter) will ever be on the pitch.

RaySmith

Seri could be like Bryan Ruiz, staying with Fulham in the Championship, for a bit anyway, if he isn't able to get a move he wants, and the club don't want to let him go unless the fee is right.

Ruiz featured under Kit, after being left out by Magath, and did Ok I thought.
Seri is a lot better player, and could do well in the Championship, if played  in a way that suits him, and in the right midfield combination.

TommyFFCGun

Quote from: Statto on May 30, 2019, 03:49:11 PM
Seri is far far better at tackling than Cairney, but I'll concede not a DM. I'm pretty sure he was brought in as a direct replacement for Johansen, which was a good idea IMO. Unfortunately, in the PL we tried to remedy a crap defence by filling the midfield with DMs. This time it was Anguissa and Chambers, just like last time it was Parker and Sidwell. IMHO those tactics are conducive of crap, unsuccessful football, and I neither hope nor expect to see us playing that way next season. As such, I think that if Seri stays, his competion will be Johansen, not Cairney, and only one DM (whether its Anguissa, KMac or Arter) will ever be on the pitch.

It wasn't always Anguissa and Chambers and we started off with one DM which contrary to your view I feel was not the way forward in light of our defensive weaknesses. Our chief problem I believe was playing the wrong DM's. Chambers had never played there before and Anguissa had no experience of the English game. I totally agree we can get away with playing one DM in the Championship but I think if we had have played two in the Premier League then KMac should have been one as his experience, leadership and know how would have been invaluable. I think the hope is that Anguissa will fill the role on his own this year but I still don't entirely trust him although I think his potential is massive. I'd like us to start with TC as AM then KMac and or Anguissa and then one of the others. I am really intrigued to see O'Reilly. I think he's the next Michael Carrick and would be ideal as a deep lying playmaker.

086.gif

filham

Essential that we do not try to buy new players for every position but rathe build onto the best players that we already have.

That engine room of Cairney, Mac. and Johansen was magnificent in the Championship, lets start with them again

bobby01

Quote from: Statto on May 30, 2019, 03:49:11 PM

I tend to agree with you Statto, I think there is a very good player in Seri. I do believe however, for all the good qualities Tom has we have to stifle our choices because we need 2 dm, to cover for him, and pacy players with good movement in front of him, which at the moment we do not have.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on May 30, 2019, 08:09:10 PM
Essential that we do not try to buy new players for every position but rathe build onto the best players that we already have.

That engine room of Cairney, Mac. and Johansen was magnificent in the Championship, lets start with them again

Anguissa > Kmac
STH H3

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: @jolslover on May 30, 2019, 09:13:10 PM

Anguissa > Kmac

As long as his conditioning continues to improve.     I still don't think Anguissa can play two consecutive 90 minute games without it REALLY hurting his play.   When he gets tired he really shows that he's tired.   Stops making runs...jogs back..hands on knees...slower passes...

It's not that he sucks.   He's just not conditioned well enough.    Hopefully Scott is working on that because there are a lot of games in the championship season.

filham

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 30, 2019, 09:38:12 PM

Anguissa > Kmac

As long as his conditioning continues to improve.     I still don't think Anguissa can play two consecutive 90 minute games without it REALLY hurting his play.   When he gets tired he really shows that he's tired.   Stops making runs...jogs back..hands on knees...slower passes...

It's not that he sucks.   He's just not conditioned well enough.    Hopefully Scott is working on that because there are a lot of games in the championship season.
We have seen K Mac perform well throughout a complete Championship season, we saw Anguissi have two or three good games towards the end of last season. We cannot yet be sure how Anguissi will play over the next 46 matches.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on May 30, 2019, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 30, 2019, 03:23:55 PM

Projected starters as it stands should be Anguissa, Seri and Cairney IMO.

I would be happy to start with any three of KMac, Anguissa, Seri and Cairney; especially if Johansen is on the bench.

All Good Combinations
KMac, Anguissa and Cairney (well balanced)
KMac, Seri and Cairney (strong possession)
KMac, Anguissa and Seri (strong defensively)
Anguissa, Seri and Cairney (strong attack)
KMac, Johansen and Cairney (strong cohesion)
Subs Johansan and/or Seri (best midfield bench in league)

Given Anguissa, Seri and Cairney have combined total of 84 league starts for both 17/18 and 18/19, it seems realistic that all three starting will be rare.

With a three man midfield and a 49 game league season,  we need ideally 147 league starts and 49 substitutions from these five midfielders.

A 49 game season with 5 CMs, requires an average of "29.4 starts" per midfielder, "9.8 substitutions" per midfielder and "9.8 rest games" per midfielder.

My suggestion would be to play our starting line up to be KMac, Anguissa and Cairney with Johasen as regular sub; with Seri filling in for a different players throughout the season. When all five are available, I would have Cairney and Seri splitting the AM role 60 minutes and 30 minutes.

We should try to stick with each combination for at least 8 games straight (or until injury) and return midfielders back from injury as slowly as possible.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on May 30, 2019, 09:52:00 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 30, 2019, 09:38:12 PM

Anguissa > Kmac

We have seen K Mac perform well throughout a complete Championship season, we saw Anguissi have two or three good games towards the end of last season. We cannot yet be sure how Anguissi will play over the next 46 matches.

There is no guarantee he can replicate that under a different manager with different players around him. I think Anguissa is the better player.
STH H3

bill taylors apprentice

Apart from his goal early in the season I really don't remember Seri doing anything positive during the season that lead to putting the opposition under pressure to concede.
He probably did several good things but the fact nothing really comes to mind say's it all for me!

snarks

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 31, 2019, 08:59:55 AM
Apart from his goal early in the season I really don't remember Seri doing anything positive during the season that lead to putting the opposition under pressure to concede.
He probably did several good things but the fact nothing really comes to mind say's it all for me!

The chip pass at brighton for the goal, is the best example of the kind of player he can be (Seri) I did say all last season we missed SteffJo in midfield doing the donkey work. At box to box he is better than Seri, compliments Cairney well. For me Seri or Cairney is the direct competition,. Both can find the right pass but Seri was required to play a more holding role, which did not suit his game.

toshes mate

I always get a little disheartened about arguments about who is the better player from X or Y when football is about the eleven players who make the best team from the overall squad.  When SJ was constructing his 'best team' his judgement was often questioned as was highlighted by the many changes he'd try until he found best fit solutions.  His key to answering the possession conundrum was to have balanced attacking potential across the entire midfield – left, right and centre – and players with the understanding, pace and ability to support one another.  Did he need the 'best' players to do that or did he rely on his 'best fit' players (e.g. the ones who made things work). 

Central midfield is less of a problem when opponents observe that when they stop an attack from one direction then the midfield simply moves them and the ball around until an opening is created or a defensive mistake occurs which can be exploited.  Whether or not a goal is scored is not an issue unless the conversion rate of openings falls below a critical point; it is the pressure and frustration that is created when your opponents realise you can create openings and score from possession at will.   We all saw how that pressure and frustration can work against you last season, especially when we were being hammered.

What is proven to work is best unless and until other players in the squad can prove they are better (or as good as) options both in training and on match days.   If Anguissa, Seri, and others fight for their places and succeed in impressing Parker then everybody lives in a much better environment from a team perspective knowing all bases are covered.

It's my belief that the promotion midfield (KM, SJ, and TC) will work as before if the right and left flanks reach the same potential as we saw in both SJ's full seasons.  IMO those wide partnerships are key to finding a winning team when all else is equal.  SP will earn his stripes if he can identify and persuade his boss exactly what he needs to have a 'best team' always available.

filham

Well after all of that what is clear is that we are pretty strong in midfield at the moment with Anquissi, K. Mac, Cairney, Johansen and Seri, just up to Parker to choose the right players for each match, interesting to see if they all stay.

Suspect that Seri will want to move on but even that would leave four capable players in midfield, bring back Norwood and we would be set for the season.