watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kalas

Started by H4usuallysitting, May 31, 2019, 11:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

What's he been up to since he departed....any chance of us getting him back for this coming season - I thought he was one of our better player's last time around

Burt

Still on loan with Bristol City, i think.

Nero

He was playing for Bristol City last season, but stil has 3 years left on the Chelsea contract he signed the season before last. will probably go out on loan again and spend the rest of his playing days doing so

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: gang on May 31, 2019, 11:34:42 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on May 31, 2019, 11:15:04 AM
What's he been up to since he departed....any chance of us getting him back for this coming season - I thought he was one of our better player's last time around

Really? Joca didn't.

and look what happened to Joka
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Statto

Quote from: gang on May 31, 2019, 11:34:42 AM

Really? Joca didn't.

Well let's have it right shall we. Joka evidently thought he was good enough to be one of our starting CBs for a year and a half.

When he got injured and we went on a winning streak with Odoi standing in, Joka didn't think Kalas was good enough to break up a winning team just to reinstate him. Not really sure that means anything though.

MikeW

A good mate of mine is a BC STH and he reckons Kalas was the best signing they'd made in years (on loan mind).
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

AnOldBrownie

He couldn't unseat Odoi and Ream as starting CB.    Fulham need a fast, tall CB that can play the ball in the air.   

But... I'd take Kalas over Mawson all day long.    Kalas would do a job and play the entire season.   

Bracken White

Thought Kalas was an asset, too - guess there'd be no appetite for him to be sold on a permanent.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Twig

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 31, 2019, 03:47:38 PM

He couldn't unseat Odoi and Ream as starting CB.    Fulham need a fast, tall CB that can play the ball in the air.   They already have two that can play the ball out of the back (Odoi and Ream) that aren't good at playing the ball in the air.

Fulham need better.

Actually Odoi is excellent in the air...for his height, in fact I would wager he had the best jump of ant of our starting eleven.  I think it is wrong to say that he isn't good at playing the ball in the air but if you want to argue that we need someone equally good but significantly taller then fine.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Twig on May 31, 2019, 03:52:35 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on May 31, 2019, 03:47:38 PM

He couldn't unseat Odoi and Ream as starting CB.    Fulham need a fast, tall CB that can play the ball in the air.   They already have two that can play the ball out of the back (Odoi and Ream) that aren't good at playing the ball in the air.

Fulham need better.

Actually Odoi is excellent in the air...for his height, in fact I would wager he had the best jump of ant of our starting eleven.  I think it is wrong to say that he isn't good at playing the ball in the air but if you want to argue that we need someone equally good but significantly taller then fine.

You're right.    He can jump really well.

To be fair to Dennis, I think that if he were 5 inches taller he'd probably be a consistent starter for a premiere league side.     I like him.

filham

Odoi, Ream, Mawson and Le Merchand should be OK in the Championship, if we are to sign another centre back then it needs to be someone distinctly better than any of those four, not sure that Kalas could meet that requirement.

AnOldBrownie

Is there an older set of CBs in the entire Championship?

WTF is up with the youth development of CBs at Fulham.   Ben Godfrey over at Norwich City is what we should be talking about ...a young, fairly tall, fast CB that can grow with the club. 

FFC1987

I'd happily see Kalas and Piazon join our squad fr next season.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: filham on May 31, 2019, 03:59:37 PM
Odoi, Ream, Mawson and Le Merchand should be OK in the Championship, if we are to sign another centre back then it needs to be someone distinctly better than any of those four, not sure that Kalas could meet that requirement.
Agreed

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 31, 2019, 04:52:02 PM
I'd happily see Kalas and Piazon join our squad fr next season.

I agree, we need that kind of depth in the Championship marathon. I want a bench that is better than we started with against Crystal Palace this season (i.e. Rico, TFM, Cisse, Johansen, Kebano, Vietto and Kamara) with that bench no wonder we got relegated.

I think our first XI next season should be top class (provided we get some wingers), but our bench is what will make the difference and a bench of Fabri/Rodak, Odoi, Kalas, Johansen, Seri, Piazon and Gayle would make promotion very likely.

We need six defenders (four playing and two on the bench) every game; Mawson cannot be counted on to be fit, Ream is getting older, Odoi and MLM are FFCs backup full-backs (injury and form), so another experienced centre back like Kalas would really help.  Piazon would also be a great addition to the bench.

toshes mate

From what I have seen of him for Bristol City last season he looked every bit as steady as in his best matches for us during the Jokanovic era.  He is reliable but perhaps lacking in that extra something that would get a club writing our a cheque in payment for him as soon as they could.  Odoi can offer that extra something which is why Jokanovic stuck with him after Kalas recovered from injury.  Not sure what Kalas would be like with a really fit Mawson beside him (in fact it would be nice to have a really fit Mawson to test out how any partner would do) but he seems a reasonable asset for any Championship side with top half ambitions.

I am certainly a fan of Piazon and I think he is a very underrated player, but I feel we need a 'new' right back before looking for a best fit partner. 

Vinnieffc

As an amateur I played for a few years as part of a CB pairing. I was successful and played for the county. My main attributes were reading the game and being good in the air. I'm 5'7". Having an idea of where the ball will drop and having a decent leap as important as being tall. Odoi does it for me apart from the one screw up per game he inevitably makes.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The Rational Fan

Quote from: toshes mate on June 01, 2019, 09:26:19 AM
From what I have seen of him for Bristol City last season he looked every bit as steady as in his best matches for us during the Jokanovic era.  He is reliable but perhaps lacking in that extra something that would get a club writing our a cheque in payment for him as soon as they could.  Odoi can offer that extra something which is why Jokanovic stuck with him after Kalas recovered from injury.  Not sure what Kalas would be like with a really fit Mawson beside him (in fact it would be nice to have a really fit Mawson to test out how any partner would do) but he seems a reasonable asset for any Championship side with top half ambitions.

I am certainly a fan of Piazon and I think he is a very underrated player, but I feel we need a 'new' right back before looking for a best fit partner.

I am no huge fan of Cyrus Christie, but he is 26 yo and has played 175 games in the Championship and Premier League. In addition, Denis Odoi has played over 100 games at Right-Back plus Marlon Fossey and Steven Sessegnon are on international duty in this position. If we can get a quality right winger that can defend (unlike Schullre), then Right-Back won't be the hardest position to play in the Championship. The Championship is a tough league because lower table team have strong and well organised defences that are hard to score against, that will catch you on the counter attack from time to time.

We need two wingers and a backup striker better than Atyie, Kamara and Fonte. Scoring goals and getting 26+ wins must be FFC's primary focus that's what gets promotion.

Stoke City now know that conceding 52 goals (4th Best in the Championship), which is less than promoted Norwich's 57 conceeded goals, can still see you in the bottom half of the table. Stoke City found that while defending is easier in the Championship, scoring is just as hard (35 in 38 games vs 45 in 46 games) because scoring a goal on the counter attack is much harder, with teams keeping their defensive shape, because a draw is a good result against an ex-Premier league team (which is why Stoke got 22 draws this season).

toshes mate

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 03, 2019, 05:19:51 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on June 01, 2019, 09:26:19 AM

I am no huge fan of Cyrus Christie, but he is 26 yo and has played 175 games in the Championship and Premier League. In addition, Denis Odoi has played over 100 games at Right-Back plus Marlon Fossey and Steven Sessegnon are on international duty in this position. If we can get a quality right winger that can defend (unlike Schullre), then Right-Back won't be the hardest position to play in the Championship. The Championship is a tough league because lower table team have strong and well organised defences that are hard to score against, that will catch you on the counter attack from time to time.

We need two wingers and a backup striker better than Atyie, Kamara and Fonte. Scoring goals and getting 26+ wins must be FFC's primary focus that's what gets promotion.

Stoke City now know that conceding 52 goals (4th Best in the Championship), which is less than promoted Norwich's 57 conceeded goals, can still see you in the bottom half of the table. Stoke City found that while defending is easier in the Championship, scoring is just as hard (35 in 38 games vs 45 in 46 games) because scoring a goal on the counter attack is much harder, with teams keeping their defensive shape, because a draw is a good result against an ex-Premier league team (which is why Stoke got 22 draws this season).
I take your comment and throw it back to you.  FFC attacked from every area on the pitch under Jokanovic and we could score goals from anywhere.  I felt it was an almost inconceivable injustice that Fredericks didn't score a goal for us in those two successful seasons but he did make us so very potent on the right no matter who played ahead of him.  Christie hasn't shown that for either Ireland or us.  Defending becomes easier when you have the ball and have players who will always threaten to get the ball back.  Possession was Jokanovic's weapon and I have a feeling Parker feels that may be the best way too.

Art Vandelay

Been talking to a Bristol City friend of mine who is under the impression that Kalas is close to signing for them again which is a great shame in my opinion.