watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Terrible England Performance

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, June 06, 2019, 10:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Haven't been to critical of Southgate since he's taken over, seems to have given us a new lease of life, however, that tonight was a terrible England performance.

Yes, play out of the back, have a system, but do it with players that can. That whole back 4 were terrible tonight, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell (what is Chilwell even doing near the England side?)

All night, we watched that clamorous back 4 try and pass it around, get caught out, bomb forward and lose the ball, and we were just waiting for that mistake to come within the 90 minutes.

I accept there are mistakes in games, but, John Stones continuously trying to do pirouettes on the ball when being the last man, and both Walker and Chilwell bombing forward, only to get dispossessed half way up the pitch.

If Southgate is to continue playing this system, then we need players brought in that can control and see out games.

Ross Barkley once again slowing the game down in midfield, wanting the ball, but then turning around with one foot and playing it back to our defenders.

Frustrating evening, all huff and puff, but no real go, in wht would have been a great final for this young side.

Nero

didnt it just remind you of Fulham

Steeeeeeeeeed

England had a very lucky time in the World Cup, they are an average team, as was found out today.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it last summer, and was impressed with Southgate, but we were / are not a top 4 team in the world, not even close. Apart from Sterling, and maybe Kane, the rest of the team is just ok

Defensively very lacking, and Pickford is too crazy.

Next summer the big guns of Germany, Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands, as well as the already better Belgium and France, will push past England again.

gang

Quote from: Nero on June 06, 2019, 11:02:33 PM

Awful defending just like Fulham.

Nick Bateman

Ross Barkley escaped criticism despite being involved in the chaos which led to 2 goals.  Obviously Stones having barely kicked a ball for Man.City all season was at fault and there were several other calamities at the back.

It's so easy to pick English players from the team that wins the EPL without analysing that they were either the worst in that team, or hardly figured.  Had Stones featured in City's run-in one suspects they would have dropped enough points for the 'Pool to overtake them.

Glad to hear the England fans boo Van Dycke - he's a horrid character!

A further point.  While Barkley was 'playing for fouls' as he constantly does for Chelsea (of which he gets because of the corrupt officials) he was pretty hopeless, something mentioned in Sky aftermath without blaming him in particular.

Why isn't JACK GREALISH being considered for England?  If he can equally lessen the cynical side of his game, certainly in an England shirt, one feels he is far more talented than the likes of Barkley or Rice who both were inadequate proving a release outlet for the defence.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

The Rational Fan

England seriously need a new central midfield Barkley, Delphi and Henderson seems more problematic than Gerrard, Lampard and Schiles.

Matt10

3-2 win vs Spain
2-1 win vs Croatia
5-0 win vs Czech Republic

Already forgotten those performances?

It's always about "What have you done for me lately" isn't it? One real bad performance, change everything!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Matt10 on June 07, 2019, 05:01:26 AM
3-2 win vs Spain
2-1 win vs Croatia
5-0 win vs Czech Republic

Already forgotten those performances?

It's always about "What have you done for me lately" isn't it? One real bad performance, change everything!

Don't worry Fabien Delph and Ross Barkley had a combined 13 premier league starts in central midfield this season, and 18 months ago Declan Rice got this third game of 90 minutes in premier league, so noto too many bad performances between them.

The problem is not one really bad performance, but a complete lack of anything else other than England Performances to judge these players by, one of which is bad.

vancouver

England has become a joke.

What other top 10 nation starts multiple players who aren't first choice for their own club teams?

Can you imagine Germany Spain Italy or holland doing that or giving multiple caps to players who haven't even played 10 professional games?

The Enclosurite

Quote from: Nero on June 06, 2019, 11:02:33 PM

Definitely felt like I was having flashbacks to the season just gone at times.  Let's hope we see a little bit of it next season.
¡COYW!

Statto

I remember once watching an England game in a pub, Wayne Bridge was bought on as sub and a few of us looked at each other oddly because until the name came up, we didn't realise who it was. It felt surreal at the time, not to immediately recognise an England player. Well now it's normal because whilst names like "Chilwell" ring a bell ("Is that a name I've heard on MotD or is it one of the guys in accounts I occasionally deal with at work?") I've no idea who he plays for, what position he plays or what he looks like. If the current England squad walked past me, I'd only be able to put names to about 5-10 faces. There's also not a single galactico among them. 10-20 years ago, the whole squad were household names and most of the starting XI were galacticos. Even then we never won anything so it's safe to say we won't now.

bill taylors apprentice

They're all decent players but any game of football is won and lost due to decision making under pressure at critical moments in a game.

OK that's a big generalisation but the England team suffers from too many players not able to make those decisions at crucial times as constantly as they should.

Players like Stones, Barkley etc will end their profitable careers having never mastered a consistent and assured authority on the pitch that we expect from true International class!

We have a group of talented players but IMO too many lack the ability to see the next right move in their head before it occurs and make the simple safe decision when required and that's whats needed to be successful.

_Putney_

Bill2

Listening to the latter stages of the game on the radio it sounded like we tried to defend a 1-0 lead, always dangerous. Then came the calamity of errors by Stones and Barklay two players who cant get regular first team places. What also puzzled me was that I never heard anything about Sterling, he was definitely anonymous to the listener.

gang

Quote from: _Putney_ on June 07, 2019, 10:36:02 AM
we nearly won it 2-1

Nearly lost it 4-1. Nearly doesn't win tournaments.

cottage expat

Besides the multiple  defensive errors, the midfield was an abomination. The Dutch ran rings around them. I couldn't believe it when the lineup was announced ( Delph, Chillwell???) England have probably blown the one possible opportunity they had to win something since 1966 and with teams such as Germany, Spain, Netherlands rebuilding, it's going to get even tougher.

Beamer

How can you pick players who rarely get a full game for their clubs and expect them to be match sharp. Add in a striker who hasn't played for months except for a run around in the Euro cup final in which he looked way off the pace and you have a team short of the sharpness and stamina that regular playing brings.
No questioning their desire and heart but that doesn't quite cut it at the top level.

ALG01

Maguire and stones were pathetic. That wasn't attempting to play out that was selfish fancy dan indulgence. Over and over failing to play the simple ball quickly.
The two should bnot be defended, no pun intended, they should be hung out to dry for the lack of effort and thought for the team and the supporters.
As far as the complete waste of space berkly is words almost fail me. He believes his own publicity but as far as being a footballer of quality, that he isn't. He ran into trouble endlessly, passed the ball as if he were a dutchman because that is who he passed to and he fell over every time the wind changed direction calling for a foul.
Rashford is pathetic even if he can take a pen under pressure.. disgraceful performance and proves how we get carried away..

Jims Dentist

Why did they drop so deep in the second half.
They were inviting the Dutch on and you could see the equaliser coming.
Yet when it came they started playing again and got the VAR disallowed goal.
We have seen that at Fulham many times, but surely Southgate and Holland could see this and do something about it.

Dr Know