News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR should women play with smaller goals?

Started by Neil D, June 14, 2019, 08:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

When I suggested smaller pitches for women I was not intending to be sarcastic but was remembering that at school we played ( in South Park) with smaller goals and pitches.
Women do generally run slower than men and therefore take longer to cover distances, a smaller pitch would speed up their game. Also , again generalising, women have less stamina than men and therefore on a shorter pitch would be fitter at the end of the match.

In grand slam tennis we don't expect women to play five set matches, their football may look better if made a little less strenuous.

I have to admit that I have only just about accepted that football is really a game for women and I certainly can't accept that women should be boxing or playing rugby.

Burt

So long as it's the same for both sides, it kind of doesn't matter, and women have as much right to participate in any sport as men.

toshes mate

Karen Bardsley, the England women's 'keeper says this about the position: "The constant messages I heard growing up was: 'If you're unfit, you go in goal. If you're no good, you go in goal.' How do we change that? How do we give goalkeeping more respect?". 

It flooded my memories at school when, as a borderline late entry to teenage years, I was way down the list for selection to a playground team. I ended up in goal and, because I was agile, had lightning reflexes, and could land without damage on the playground surface, I soon became a very early selection.  I played in goal for my school and as a youth in a good five-a-side team where I was never beaten by a penalty.  I never grew tall enough fast enough to be a serious candidate for post school football and I was never coached and everything was down to speed, agility and a quick perception of where the ball was going to end up.

Bardsley goes on to say that she trained in a mixed college and this taught her more than if she had trained alongside other girls only.   Interesting thoughts,     

Woolly Mammoth

I was shoved in goal, because I was 6' 8"and a half, there was no other choice, and I had hands like shovels so I was probably made for the job, I ended up loving every minute of it. I think you have to be of a certain mentality especially in those days when there was very little protection for Goalkeepers.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: filham on June 15, 2019, 09:36:29 PM
When I suggested smaller pitches for women I was not intending to be sarcastic but was remembering that at school we played ( in South Park) with smaller goals and pitches.
Women do generally run slower than men and therefore take longer to cover distances, a smaller pitch would speed up their game. Also , again generalising, women have less stamina than men and therefore on a shorter pitch would be fitter at the end of the match.

In grand slam tennis we don't expect women to play five set matches, their football may look better if made a little less strenuous.

I have to admit that I have only just about accepted that football is really a game for women and I certainly can't accept that women should be boxing or playing rugby.

I must admit I too struggle with women boxing and playing rugby.  Football i'm Fine with but rugby and boxing a step too far for me.

Montague

Quote from: Burt on June 15, 2019, 10:58:08 PM
So long as it's the same for both sides, it kind of doesn't matter, and women have as much right to participate in any sport as men.

I think the women's game would benefit greatly from being played on a smaller pitch (with smaller goals) similar in size to what the U13 Academy teams play on at present.

The Women's international team is similar in stature to a U13 Academy team (physical strength and size) and playing on a smaller pitch would let them concentrate on the technical ability, skill and movement rather than trying to compete physically with the men's game.

the Women would get greater football development and the matches would be faster and more entertaining.

There is a reason that the U13's play on a smaller pitch and that is to develop their game and not just have the most physically developed of them dominate.

Women's football is different from Men's in the same way futsal is different from 11-a-side and there is no point trying to compare them.

I don't think it's coincidence that watching the Women's world cup the more physical teams are progressing.

if we were watching this tournament being played in purpose built stadiums with different sized pitches then it would be a totally different ball game.

toshes mate

Quote from: Montague on June 17, 2019, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: Burt on June 15, 2019, 10:58:08 PM

I think the women's game would benefit greatly from being played on a smaller pitch (with smaller goals) similar in size to what the U13 Academy teams play on at present.

Yes, but women's rugby and field hockey (as examples) use the same dimension pitches as the men's game and they still manage to produce entertainment which is what the professional (rather than amateur) sport is there to produce.  There is even a move to have women playing five set tennis which is only hampered by complaints in the administrative circles that scheduling would be a serious problem at the logistical level in the existing circuits i.e. they'd have to reduce the number of players participating for both men and women and/or lengthen the duration of the tournament.

The best women have proven they can produce similar steady improvements in quality in comparison to men.  For sure physical strength, stamina, and technical ability are required in all sport but as long as women want to play on full sized pitches with the same rules as men then who in their right mind would argue with them other than the women themselves?