Main Menu

Jokanovic named new head coach of Qatar Super League side Al Gharafa

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 16, 2019, 04:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Sorry but I can't see this as a step to anything.  Big money (until he inevitably gets sacked) but not a step for anyone with ambition in the major leagues. If he thinks he can cash in for a couple of years and then take a significant job in Uk, Spain, etc., he may find himself mistaken; his CV will have started to age.
I supose there is some sort of shop window with the forthcoming World Cup and I wish him every success, but have my doubts.

The Rational Fan

It seems Slavisa had the opportunity to manage West Brom from the 9th March to the 25th May, but couldn't agree to accepting bargain basement wages (for only 3 months). Frankly, seems very bad judgement and a bit short sighted, because another promotion in the Championship would have virtually guaranteed him legend status.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on June 16, 2019, 11:09:25 PM
Terrible move.

A stepping stone to nothing - when did a decent club in Europe ever recruit a manager because they "did really well in Qatar"?!

Also an awful place to live and work. Horrible, mad culture, horrible climate. I hope for his family's sake he's left them in Spain.

There must surely be more to this than meets the eye. This is the sort of move Steve Kean made after getting Blackburn relegated. How can Jokanovic have gone from being talked about as the next Chelsea manager, to that, in the space of 12 months?

Another career ruined by Tony f****** Khan

I agree that it is a terrible move from a pure footballing fame career perspective, but probably a lucrative one. Maybe there was just no other in his mind financially viable options, and then fair play to him I say. There may also be an eye on an even bigger job in that area with the World Cup coming up.

With that said, surely this is not Tony Khan's doing, however much you happen to dislike the guy? I agree that TK did Joka's career no favours by dealing him a shitty hand and then blaming him when it all went pear shaped (also unfortunately aided by Joka's inability to play that hand in a smart way, however shitty it was to begin with). Surely Joka still would have had more interesting offers (from a footballing perspective) than the one he took? Even though TK did him no favours, it was surely Joka's choice to go to Qatar instead of taking up a new challenge in England or Spain.

toshes mate

Jokanovic's stock in England would have seen a strong downward movement more from the circumstances of his times at Watford and FFC than from the actual process of and reason for being sacked.  He is the consummate and ultimate professional who responds to commands made to him by his bosses that defy normal rules.  He proved a handful to his cocky American bosses [sic] throughout his tenure at FFC and perhaps gave their reputations more credit and success than they have ever deserved.  His handling of team selection may have appeared to have been unconventional and sometimes off the wall but he was looking for answer that he knew he could find if he tried enough variations to a theme.  He knew how he wanted football played and how to find players who will play that way even if they haven't done so before.  What he didn't accept was nonsense from his bosses and that alone is enough to suggest that many football businesses in England and Europe would be wary of him.

He'll have his reasons for going to Qatar no doubt loosely connected with that World Cup date that now goes wherever the biggest brown paper bags are to be found.  Let the story unfold itself as time goes by and clubs and their fans in England are deprived of a unique talent just because it comes in such an unfashionable package.

[email protected]

Think of the positives though, at least we don't have to watch Jokanovic manage a Championship team who subsequently rip us apart twice next season!

The Rational Fan

BBC Reported that Jokanovic's contract at Watford ended as they were unwilling to meet the £2.5m basic salary, Watford instead offered £1m and a further £1m based on performance. I would have thought a premier league management position for a £1m per year was a good opportunity for Slavisa.

KJS

Really amazed shows a total lack of ambition and he is better than that!

TommyFFCGun

Quote from: HV71 on June 16, 2019, 08:49:58 PM
Somehow I just don't buy the fact that this move is about nothing else than money, (and even if it is - then who could blame him ?) . Maybe he has been given carte blanche to build a team in any way he feels fit - which I am pretty certain would appeal to him

I can only wish him all the best as , for me , he was treated shabbily by ourselves , and the wrong man was the scapegoat. I can only hope that I live long enough (unlikely ) to see such exciting football at the Cottage again . A true legend as far as I am concerned
:plus one:

Slaphead in Qatar

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Statto on June 16, 2019, 11:09:25 PM
Terrible move.

A stepping stone to nothing - when did a decent club in Europe ever recruit a manager because they "did really well in Qatar"?!

Also an awful place to live and work. Horrible, mad culture, horrible climate. I hope for his family's sake he's left them in Spain.

There must surely be more to this than meets the eye. This is the sort of move Steve Kean made after getting Blackburn relegated. How can Jokanovic have gone from being talked about as the next Chelsea manager, to that, in the space of 12 months?

Another career ruined by Tony f****** Khan

It's a nicer place to live and work than the UK. And it's got a stronger culture than UK. Try not to be so bigoted Statto.

Fernhurst

HV71
"I can only wish him all the best as , for me , he was treated shabbily by ourselves , and the wrong man was the scapegoat. I can only hope that I live long enough (unlikely ) to see such exciting football at the Cottage again . A true legend as far as I am concerned.

Absolutely agree  0001.jpeg
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Statto

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on June 17, 2019, 03:51:42 PM
It's a nicer place to live and work than the UK. And it's got a stronger culture than UK. Try not to be so bigoted Statto.

If I was a bigot I suspect I'd love it in Qatar. Slaves, capital punishment, no gays and no abortions. Basically everything the KKK want.

ALG01

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 17, 2019, 10:02:52 AM
BBC Reported that Jokanovic's contract at Watford ended as they were unwilling to meet the £2.5m basic salary, Watford instead offered £1m and a further £1m based on performance. I would have thought a premier league management position for a £1m per year was a good opportunity for Slavisa.

The truth of these things is never certain but I do happen to believe that at Watford and Fulham he felt that he was worth more than he was being offered, what we do not know is what he had been promised.

I do recall that when Chelsea got promoted Edie McCreadie the manager resigned because the club would not fund him a new car... as it was reported then. So it's not a new phenomena

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on June 17, 2019, 04:16:36 PM
HV71
"I can only wish him all the best as , for me , he was treated shabbily by ourselves , and the wrong man was the scapegoat. I can only hope that I live long enough (unlikely ) to see such exciting football at the Cottage again . A true legend as far as I am concerned.

Absolutely agree  0001.jpeg

+1 100%