watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In Praise of Tobin Heath

Started by Forever Fulham, June 22, 2019, 09:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Been watching the women's tournament, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken notice of the one on one skills of USWNT's Tobin Heath.  Ball at feet, she's a magician, maybe one of the best I've ever seen, and I'm counting men and women players both. The U.S. women's team is loaded with talent, and many of her teammates get a lot more publicity and attention than she does.  She's quiet and let's her playing do her talking for her.  But, God, is she good.  A very special player.   

Statto

I've caught some of the women's games from the gym, where the TV is so far away you can't tell whether the players are men or women.

I watched half of Netherlands v Cameroon and the football was awful. I can honestly say without exaggeration, there are lots of lads in the weekday evening 5-a-side leagues here in London who are better than the women players I saw in that game.

I watched Brazil v Italy and admittedly the standard in that game was higher.

However last night I saw the England men's u21 game and could instantly tell it wasn't a women's game, just from the pace and way the players and ball were moving around. I've never thought much of the women's game but even I found the difference surprisingly stark.

It's a bit of a travesty the way the women's world cup is getting more attention over here than contests between more talented players, like the men's u21s (and arguably even the local Powerleague 5-a-side games). 

Russianrob

Cannot get into womens football whoever is playing.Would rather watch the Afgan goat-throwing championships at present which the BBC are not showing as the goats are not Gay(meaning happy).If womens football was invented before mens I would never have been interested in football whatsoever.

jarv

Living in usa, I have caught a few games over the years and I coach a girls high school team.  It is a totally different game to men's football. It has its merits and is decent sometimes. They play the ball to feet all the time, have time on the ball because of the lack of pressure by opponents. It can be pleasing on the eye but the downside, frankly, it is littered with mistakes. The ball is given away far too often. (even without the pressure). Sweden were guilty of this last week.

They are very lucky girls, they get to play in super stadiums which a decent park footballer or low level non league player can only dream about. My gut feeling is that none would be able to match the boys physical level at non league standard. I have witnessed it at college level, the boys take it easy so as not to hurt them. It is fun though.

SP

I'm a supporter of the ladies game following my involvement with my daughter's teams. I've enjoyed the England ladies WC games probably because there's nothing else to watch at the moment. Doubt they'll progress beyond the semis though.  I agree they should be receiving more support/funding, particularly as the FA actively worked against the development of the Ladies game in the past.  Not sure how some people are calling for equal pay with the men's game though?

Matt10

Good call on Tobin Heath, she just gets the job done. Another player I was impressed was is the left back, Crystal Dunn. She is not easy to beat, is quite aggressive, and only made 1 glaring mistake where she tucked in too early against Sweden.

Russianrob

Back in the good old days(late 70s) the school boys internationals were a favourite watch especially England v Scotland.Will school girl internationals ever take off? Whatever happened to Rachael Heyhoe Flint and the annual womens hockey match at Wembley with thousands of screaming girls.That was fantastic to watch,experience and truly appreciate.What a pity women decided they would become men and play football like men.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Russianrob on June 22, 2019, 05:17:05 PM
Back in the good old days(late 70s) the school boys internationals were a favourite watch especially England v Scotland.Will school girl internationals ever take off? Whatever happened to Rachael Heyhoe Flint and the annual womens hockey match at Wembley with thousands of screaming girls.That was fantastic to watch,experience and truly appreciate.What a pity women decided they would become men and play football like men.

They are becoming men in a way,I think we'll all be one sex in a hundred years time.
Can't remember the last time I saw a female in a summer dress and looking feminine, now they've all got them tight jeans and leggings stuck to them all year,phone in one hand,roll up in other and drinking pints,swearing and covered in tattoos.😡
They want to be one of the boys.😜

Mighty Maik

The quality of some of the teams in the Women's World Cup is outstanding. If you think it isn't you've been unlucky and haven't watched the right games. England Women are light years ahead of where they were four years ago in terms of talent, skill and fitness. the speed and quality of passing is first rate. The USA team has some brilliant skilful players Tobin Heath, Rapinoe, Ertz. The sight of absolutely packed stadiums of fans throughout France is a testament to how much the Women's game has grown and how the quality of play has improved - they deserve the platform they have - this Women's World Cup has been a triumph so far. Long may it continue!

Sting of the North

Quote from: Mighty Maik on June 25, 2019, 10:27:13 AM
The quality of some of the teams in the Women's World Cup is outstanding. If you think it isn't you've been unlucky and haven't watched the right games. England Women are light years ahead of where they were four years ago in terms of talent, skill and fitness. the speed and quality of passing is first rate. The USA team has some brilliant skilful players Tobin Heath, Rapinoe, Ertz. The sight of absolutely packed stadiums of fans throughout France is a testament to how much the Women's game has grown and how the quality of play has improved - they deserve the platform they have - this Women's World Cup has been a triumph so far. Long may it continue!

I agree with most of this, but hasn't most stadiums been half empty for most games?

Mighty Maik

Some of the group matches - yes - Last night's England game looked packed. The USA games also look to be full. the France matches, as you'd expect, are packed. The only down side with the tournament I've seen is the use of VAR which is causing long delays and resulting in 7 or 8 minutes of added time in many cases. I was always a huge supporter of VAR but this use of it has made me wonder if it is good in theory and awful in practice.

toshes mate

In the period I have watched the women's game (c. three decades) I have seen the improvements in the overall presentation of their professional game.  The coaching investments made are obviously showing through in international tournaments but it is grass roots women's professional football that must prove it can fill grounds regularly with paying customers that ultimately provides success.  It would be condescending to any professional player to say they 'deserve the platform' since it is the customers attracted to a sport that declares its suitability to be a meaningful job.

What I do feel is important is that the women's game is different, has its own personality, and is interesting in its own right.  I certainly feel it deserves encouragement via media interest but that is also a double edged sword.  The better a sport becomes via media audience measures the more likely it will only be found on subscription only platforms.  That then devalues it from mass audience (and therefore casual) viewing.  Women have the disadvantage in football in that it has taken so long for it to be accepted that they can play soccer at all, and we know the reasons why.

Mighty Maik

One of the great virtues of football is that it is the same game everywhere but played differently by different players - "Condescending"? A strange choice of descriptive. This year's world cup has been extremely popular...by the criteria of popularity alone women's football deserve their platform - many, many people enjoy watching it. It's fabulous it is doing so well and there is an energy and heart present in many of the matches - precisely because not all of the women are professional - that makes it so refreshing.

toshes mate

Quote from: Mighty Maik on June 25, 2019, 11:17:43 AM
One of the great virtues of football is that it is the same game everywhere but played differently by different players - "Condescending"? A strange choice of descriptive. This year's world cup has been extremely popular...by the criteria of popularity alone women's football deserve their platform - many, many people enjoy watching it. It's fabulous it is doing so well and there is an energy and heart present in many of the matches - precisely because not all of the women are professional - that makes it so refreshing.
It is popular, but, like football at any level that popularity has to pay the bills at grass roots and we know, via the men's game that attendances are no longer the main source of income at the top of the game.  The women's game either has to build on what already exists as a business model for grass roots in the men's version or find their own way of delivering revenue into their sport.  Nobody knows better than those involved in the women's game what is needed to build upon successes, but I for one hope they are not going to go the same way as the men's game has gone.  Competition is everything in any sport and it is nowhere to be seen in the PL as an example.  I hope women learn from that and show and teach us a better way.

Mince n Tatties

Should be at home hoovering and polishing and darning socks..😜

Carborundum

Having played some Powerleague recently, I think these ladies are really quite a lot better.  Bouncing the ball off the sides is all part of the Powerleague game, but footballs a lot harder when you can't do it.

Unconvincing, third rate and a poor shadow of the men's equivalent, Phil Neville and his so-2018 waistcoat have managed to remain all of these things, at least in my eyes.  The players however have been terrific and a reminder of how football should be - it's for everybody.

Mince n Tatties

I'm sure half that Cameroon side had testicles.😱

Statto

Quote from: Carborundum on June 25, 2019, 01:52:48 PM
The players however have been terrific and a reminder of how football should be - it's for everybody.

Football is for everybody... but playing in massive stadiums and being broadcast on national tele (particularly if it's taxpayer funded) should be reserved for an elite few