watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My memory fades

Started by sunburywhite, July 05, 2019, 05:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Who was it that time at Craven Cottgae who wound Ian St John up so much that he got sent off for throwing a punch
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 05, 2019, 05:11:39 PM
Who was it that time at Craven Cottgae who wound Ian St John up so much that he got sent off for throwing a punch

Mark Pancho Pearson
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Oakeshott

I was there at the time and saw the whole thing very clearly, but I'm not sure who our player was Seems as if we are both on the slippery slope, memory-wise.

The name who does come to what passes for my mind this days is Fred Callaghan, but I'm probably wrong.

ps

Having seen Woolly's post I think he is right.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Oakeshott on July 05, 2019, 05:17:49 PM
I was there at the time and saw the whole thing very clearly, but I'm not sure who our player was Seems as if we are both on the slippery slope, memory-wise.

The name who does come to what passes for my mind this days is Fred Callaghan, but I'm probably wrong.

ps

Having seen Woolly's post I think he is right.

Yes, I think the one your thinking of when Fred Biffo Callaghan got sent off was at Whitehart Lane v Spurs when Fred and Terry Venables introduced themselves to each other in a hostile way, and we're both sent off for their troubles, although I thought Venables started it.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Liverpool fans loved Ian St John as their centre forward.
Remember the story about the sign outside of the church which read "what will you do when the lord comes" , some joker had written on the sign " move St. John to inside left"

Beamer

Quote from: filham on July 05, 2019, 10:14:08 PM
Liverpool fans loved Ian St John as their centre forward.
Remember the story about the sign outside of the church which read "what will you do when the lord comes" , some joker had written on the sign " move St. John to inside left"

Reminds me of the one that says "Jesus Saves" to which was added "But Dalglish Knocks In The Rebound"

Cambridge Pete

I thought it was "killer" Keetch. Or was that a different occassion?  They showed it om MOTD as Keetch had pulled at St John's hair.

Cambridge Pete

Just watched the video. For 57 years I have had it wrong.  094.gif

Woolly Mammoth

I don't think even St John would confront Killer Keetch even if Killer was in a good mood. Bobby Keetch took no prisoners, something some of our current players need to learn, how to defend, how to tackle and how to foul. Instead of just fouling up.

Never forget your Roots.

Ronnief

I was at the match when Mark Pancho Pearson was floored. I was only a few yards away and if my memory is correct it was fairly early in the match. Pearson and St. John had no need to wind each other up as there was obviously a long standing dislike between the two. St John hacked at Pearson first, then there was the hair tug and the punch. I was sure at the time that the punch had connected but seeing the video he was pulled first as the punch was swung. Did it really connect? Did Pancho make a real meal of it? Never liked St John or even Liverpool from that time.

OldBrownShoe

I was there, our player was Mark Pancho Pearson, who was largely a waste of space and a Manure reject. But great days. 092.gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

filham

Quote from: Ronnief on July 06, 2019, 10:55:14 AM
I was at the match when Mark Pancho Pearson was floored. I was only a few yards away and if my memory is correct it was fairly early in the match. Pearson and St. John had no need to wind each other up as there was obviously a long standing dislike between the two. St John hacked at Pearson first, then there was the hair tug and the punch. I was sure at the time that the punch had connected but seeing the video he was pulled first as the punch was swung. Did it really connect? Did Pancho make a real meal of it? Never liked St John or even Liverpool from that time.
[/quote

I wouldn't put all of the blame on St John, Pancho Pearson was no angel.

sunburywhite

Stil alive agd 79
In 1965, after two season at Hillsborough, Pearson joined Fulham and played a pivotal role in the club's escape from relegation in the 1965–66 season. Fulham seemed doomed until a 2–0 win against Liverpool, runaway league leaders and eventual champions, in which Ian St John was sent off for punching Pearson, sparked them into a sequence of 10 wins from their last 13 matches. He left Fulham for Halifax Town in 1968, playing just five league games before retiring the following year at the age of 29.