watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Unpopular opinion...

Started by Classic94, July 06, 2019, 11:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classic94

But I don't believe we need a new RB. Certainly, there's other positions I'd prioritise.

Christie came in for plenty of criticism last season, some of it justified, but surely he's more than good enough for the Championship? He's proven at this level. Besides, we're stocked on promising young RBs in the shape of S Sessegnon, Fossey and Drameh. Odoi can
also play there.

I'd prefer to monitor the kids over pre season and give them a meaningful pathway into the first team, otherwise, we risk losing them. Should Christie or our other options prove inadequate, we can always reassess in the January window.

Thoughts?

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Totally agree. Now is the time to blood some youth.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

ALG01

IMO
christie is a dreadful liability
If the younger players are showinf sufficient promise i am happy to play them.

Christie was proven in the championship but proven to be way below the required standard.

S.F.Sorrow

I'm not a huge fan of Christie but I would be ok with Odoi at RB. He's a lot better at RB than CB. Both are decent Championship RBs though.

Personally I think a CB, a backup striker and a winger (or two) are the most critical positions (provided we keep everyone currently in the squad, which we probably won't).

Deeping_white

Quote from: ALG01 on July 06, 2019, 12:13:33 PM
IMO

Christie was proven in the championship but proven to be way below the required standard.

He's only played for teams that have ever been in and around the top 6, so how's that proven he's not of the required standard? Truth is he's fine at this level, he's no Freddo but he had pace that's a rarity - yes you could get better than Christie at this level but it's going to cost money that could and should be spent on far more important positions. If he's a starter and Odoi/Steve Sess/Marlon Fossey push him for that spot then that's not really a bad thing

FPT

The anti-Cyrus Christie stuff is actually making me feel quite ill at the moment. Sure, he wasn't a good Premier League full back; he never has been a Premier League full back. What he has been is a playoff calibre full back of which the numbers and performances back up from his time in the division. Is he excellent? No, that's why he's played in the Championship for years.

In Championship standards, he's athletic, has great size which helps with set pieces and defended the back post. I think he can get forward well and with a genuine run of games we'll see the best of him.

I will not be stunned if Christie turns this feeling about him around this season, so yeah, I think we're good at right back, especially when you consider we've got Steven Sessegnon and Marlon Fossey in the squad as well. You'll never give young players game time if you just stock a position.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Personally I think Odoi, even though knee high to a grasshopper, he better as a back up CB.

Thats my opinion anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Walsh

Sessegnon to start RB next season.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Milo

I don't see him kicking on to ever be Prem level. Whereas I think Bryan can.

Last season showed us we need players who can kick on .. otherwise we leave ourselves too many holes to fill in the summer when we go up..

If we go up..

Keep him on the books as a reliable sub.

AnOldBrownie

I think RB is the most needed improvement position on the squad...but I agree with you.

I don't have faith that spending money on an outside player is needed when Drameh, Sess and Fossey might be good enough in that position.

Plus, as others have said..Odoi can cover in that spot as well.

Yes, it's Cyrus' job to lose...but I hope within 12 months time we've decided on someone else as Fuham's long term RB...and hopefully it's someone from the youth side.

Quote from: FPT on July 06, 2019, 01:49:09 PM

In Championship standards, he's athletic, has great size which helps with set pieces and defended the back post. I think he can get forward well and with a genuine run of games we'll see the best of him.

I don't know his career prior to Fulham, but was he known for his strength and height being an advantage for set piece defending?

He's athletic, yes, but it leans towards the strong side, not the agile side.   

Perhaps we've all been spoiled by the likes of Ryan Fredericks (and me personally by other fast/agile fullbacks) but when I see them trying to use Cyrus the way that Ryan was used...because Cyrus isn't agile or fast as Ryan I always worry he'll get caught out because he was tired after his forward run and didn't get back quick enough (like Fredericks could do because of his wc pace).

I guess we'll see though.   Speed alone isn't everything as proved by Timothy Fosu Mensah... (I say that knowing full well that TFM would be a fine championship side FB)

ffc73

Let's not forget that Joka played Christie sparingly in the Championship but in games we needed more of a defender than Fred. Bristol away and most noticeably @ Wembley when we were down to 10 men and defending a lead.

I agree with the opening post

toshes mate

You cannot talk about full backs without considering who is ahead of them up the pitch.  The flaws on both flanks were the most troublesome feature of last season's debacle and to be perfectly honest Christie is not a great defender or midfielder; he is mightily average.  Even when running fast, no matter if for FFC or Ireland, he looks as though he is running through treacle.  But, if he can be matched with a decent wide right midfielder (or let him be the wide right midfielder) with a sensationally adept partner then who knows what can happen?  The flanks are key to making the whole core midfield have more of the game via space created by their threats something SJ worked hard to achieve.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: FPT on July 06, 2019, 01:49:09 PM
The anti-Cyrus Christie stuff is actually making me feel quite ill at the moment. Sure, he wasn't a good Premier League full back; he never has been a Premier League full back. What he has been is a playoff calibre full back of which the numbers and performances back up from his time in the division. Is he excellent? No, that's why he's played in the Championship for years.

I will not be stunned if Christie turns this feeling about him around this season, so yeah, I think we're good at right back, especially when you consider we've got Steven Sessegnon and Marlon Fossey in the squad as well. You'll never give young players game time if you just stock a position.
Agree.
Glad to see you back posting FPT.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: toshes mate on July 06, 2019, 07:17:58 PM
You cannot talk about full backs without considering who is ahead of them up the pitch.  The flaws on both flanks were the most troublesome feature of last season's debacle and to be perfectly honest Christie is not a great defender or midfielder; he is mightily average.  Even when running fast, no matter if for FFC or Ireland, he looks as though he is running through treacle.  But, if he can be matched with a decent wide right midfielder (or let him be the wide right midfielder) with a sensationally adept partner then who knows what can happen?  The flanks are key to making the whole core midfield have more of the game via space created by their threats something SJ worked hard to achieve.

First I've ever heard of treacle, but just on context alone I'm going to agree with you 100%.   At best Christie is a middle of the pack  championship midfielder who can't run, but might be able to do ok in the right partnership on the right side.

Is Floyd Ayite that player to bring out the best in Cyrus?

filham

Odoi will do a good job as a championship right back.

Our priorities remain replacements for Sess. and Mitrovic when or if they leave, and it is important that they are quality replacements . Deadline day panic buys will not do.

ALG01

Quote from: Deeping_white on July 06, 2019, 01:29:49 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 06, 2019, 12:13:33 PM
IMO

He's only played for teams that have ever been in and around the top 6, so how's that proven he's not of the required standard? Truth is he's fine at this level, he's no Freddo but he had pace that's a rarity - yes you could get better than Christie at this level but it's going to cost money that could and should be spent on far more important positions. If he's a starter and Odoi/Steve Sess/Marlon Fossey push him for that spot then that's not really a bad thing

I have seen him play... my judgement and most supporters i talk to at the stadium share the same or a very similar opinion. His fan club is a handful of posters on FoF

FFC1987

I'm surprised people are surprised Christie is having serious question marks to his name. He's sadly just not consistent enough. If we don't replace, and he stays and does well, awesome. But if we do go up, he's the no1 player needing replacing. He'll do ok and my assessment remains that we need to improve our wide men but let's not beat around the bush, he's ok, not good, not great, sometimes very poor. If our youngsters can't edge in front of Christie, you have to question why really.

Statto

Quote from: Classic94 on July 06, 2019, 11:26:15 AM
But I don't believe we need a new RB. Certainly, there's other positions I'd prioritise.

Christie came in for plenty of criticism last season, some of it justified, but surely he's more than good enough for the Championship? He's proven at this level. Besides, we're stocked on promising young RBs in the shape of S Sessegnon, Fossey and Drameh. Odoi can
also play there.

I'd prefer to monitor the kids over pre season and give them a meaningful pathway into the first team, otherwise, we risk losing them. Should Christie or our other options prove inadequate, we can always reassess in the January window.

Thoughts?

Agree

Plus you can get away with having average full backs more than you can get away with having average players in other more integral positions

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: filham on July 06, 2019, 09:34:38 PM
Odoi will do a good job as a championship right back.

Our priorities remain replacements for Sess. and Mitrovic when or if they leave, and it is important that they are quality replacements . Deadline day panic buys will not do.

But unlike Matt Targett (expiring loan) and Ryan Fredericks (contract) both Sess and Mitro are under contract...so the owners already know they are going to be here unless Fulham say otherwise (not some other party like what happened with the two Fullbacks a year ago).

So we already have our starting left winger for this season.   Already have our starting CF for this season.

I'm of the opinion RW is the more important position to address over the next 3 weeks.   We have the other starting 9 outfield players under contract.  (I don't think Ayite or AK47 are regular starters),