watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Championship footballer to come out as gay - Independant

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, July 07, 2019, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Really couldn't care less if this player is gay or not. He could identify as a lion for all I care it doesn't change anything or my view of them

I thought society had moved on from this, the fact he has had to tell the club is going to come out and announcing it to Twitter is a little strange. Surely you would just come out and let it go by if you thought it was going to be a huge issue, rather than treat it like a publicity stunt.

Lighthouse

I actually am feeling a bit bored with all this stuff. I am fed up with the idea that we have to listen to the same people who wanted to be treated the same as everybody else yet feel it necessary to make a s statement about their sexuality on a public forum. I don't care. I don't want to know about the LGBTQXYZ. I wish them all the best in their everyday lives. But really you are not important and the more you pretend you are the more some moron will feel it their duty to attack and boo your lifestyle choices.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Carborundum

This seems important and I agree with the opening post title.  Football should be for absolutely everyone and until some players make a stand the impression is that it isn't.

If one or more players of opposition teams  "come out", then you can be sure I'll be applauding them at the Cottage before the match starts, which I don't normally do.  Then, once the game kicks off I'll treat them just like any other player.

But if it turns out that he's a Fulham player, then I'll be very proud and cheering them on.  Our club should have the supportive environment that makes it possible.

Fulham76

I nearly didn't read this because of the terrible headline! Why don't people use punctuation or check what they write any more??

KJS

I am really fed up with all the stuff about gay this and that! I really don't give a toss I just wish they'd get over themselves their not different they are just attention seekers :031:

SG

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 07, 2019, 05:51:47 PM
I actually am feeling a bit bored with all this stuff. I am fed up with the idea that we have to listen to the same people who wanted to be treated the same as everybody else yet feel it necessary to make a s statement about their sexuality on a public forum. I don't care. I don't want to know about the LGBTQXYZ. I wish them all the best in their everyday lives. But really you are not important and the more you pretend you are the more some moron will feel it their duty to attack and boo your lifestyle choices.

Spot on. Exactly my thoughts

Twig

Quote from: KJS on July 07, 2019, 06:42:10 PM
I am really fed up with all the stuff about gay this and that! I really don't give a toss I just wish they'd get over themselves their not different they are just attention seekers :031:

No, they have for many years suffered discrimination, suspicion and public scorn. Things are improving but it still isn't always easy.

Twig

Quote from: Carborundum on July 07, 2019, 06:07:08 PM
This seems important and I agree with the opening post title.  Football should be for absolutely everyone and until some players make a stand the impression is that it isn't.

If one or more players of opposition teams  "come out", then you can be sure I'll be applauding them at the Cottage before the match starts, which I don't normally do.  Then, once the game kicks off I'll treat them just like any other player.

But if it turns out that a Fulham player, then I'll be very proud and cheering them on.  Our club should have the supportive environment that makes it possible.

Pretty much agree with you.

SuffolkWhite

Your sexuality does not matter, what does matter is if you can play football, "back of the net"!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Tabby

Quote from: Fulham76 on July 07, 2019, 06:33:36 PM
I nearly didn't read this because of the terrible headline! Why don't people use punctuation or check what they write any more??

It didn't end on an ellipses at least...

Camel Club

This shouldn't matter but it does. Unfortunately there are too many football supporters (as in all areas of life) who are knuckledragging Neanderthals. Racist, homophobic, you name it.

The reason it's a such a big deal is that players have been/are terrified of the consequences.

If and when this player 'outs' themself it will be a huge moment in British football and I for one, as a heterosexual male, will stand and applaud them at The Cottage when they run out regardless of what shirt they are wearing.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Twig on July 07, 2019, 06:47:05 PM

No, they have for many years suffered discrimination, suspicion and public scorn. Things are improving but it still isn't always easy.

There was a Gay chap on the radio last week talking about the increase in homophobia, and guess what he said?....He stated that the gay community were partly to blame for this as they keep going on about what their sexuality is,just get on with it he said.
And he's right,everyday your either reading about rights for Gays.
A gay man has the same rights as me,he can get up and do all the things I do in everyday life.

KJS

Agree but it's now old hat and boring there are more Pride marches in this country than is really needed they just need to get on with life and let other people get on with theirs

KJS

Quote from: KJS on July 07, 2019, 07:42:35 PM

Agree but it's now old hat and boring there are more Pride marches in this country than is really needed they just need to get on with life and let other people get on with theirs
:54:

Fulham76

Quote from: Tabby on July 07, 2019, 07:21:55 PM
Quote from: Fulham76 on July 07, 2019, 06:33:36 PM

It didn't end on an ellipses at least...

Aren't we lucky...? At least most of mine make sense.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Homosexuals used to be imprison for who they loved. A man who helped win the war by breaking the Nazi secret code, was shunned because he was gay. People are still getting beaten up, purely for being gay.
So yes it is a bloody big deal.
I'm a straight man by the way. I just know being an openly gay man in today's game will be a huge promising turning point.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Statto

If it hadn't been for the age I'd have said it might be Joe Bryan. Based on his social media. FWIW I'm not having a dig; he seems like a lovely lad and quite bright

elgreenio

Quote from: Statto on July 07, 2019, 09:26:36 PM
If it hadn't been for the age I'd have said it might be Joe Bryan. Based on his social media. FWIW I'm not having a dig; he seems like a lovely lad and quite bright

been thinking the exact same for a while.

SuffolkWhite says it perfectly for me. It's not a crime to be gay or otherwise, it's what you do on the pitch and how you hold yourself whilst part of the club that I will judge and support.

Just want to say as a mod it's nice to see everyone sharing their differing views on what can easily turn into a controversial thread which would end up being closed.
touch my camera through the fence

Stoneleigh Loyalist