watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is the tide turning with Tony Khan?

Started by ffcthereligion, July 15, 2019, 05:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skatzoffc

We need a RCB to partner Mawson. Preferably with height.
We need Mawson to stay fit. I think he is a leader in defence.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

toshes mate

I do so dislike the labelling of people as being good, bad, ugly, or plain indifferent from a limited perspective.  People who perform in a successful team are more likely to appear, both statistically speaking and in real time perspective, to be on a better trajectory than they would appear to be in an unsuccessful team. 

Players like Christie, Bryan and Ryan Sessegnon are no different to any other players in that it is circumstance that will find them out or push them forward.  That circumstance includes all the many inputs and affectations of all those around them, whoever they are, for good, bad, or plain nasty purpose, by accident or design, because we are talking about human beings.  What those in 'command' have to do, and what 'leadership' demands of them, is for them to let their egos and uglier traits go and acknowledge that chance plays a huge part in everything human beings do, and what we all work hard for is the moment chance comes together for the whole team to allow all to taste success.  Once there you do not look the gift horse in the mouth but simply keep it all together testing out theory for improvement with the whole for the whole.  As a leader you must manage change very carefully and have a thorough understanding of fortune and why it sometimes favours you. 

A leader is but one of many catalysts required for a team to happen and it is the skill with which they keep an even keel that makes the journey more worthwhile, rewarding and ultimately successful.  TK claims to be a statistician and analyst which means he understands the theory.  Now he must prove he also understands the practice which is a whole new skill set and one that he hasn't a hope in hell of just getting by on just a little knowledge, or a small success here and there.  TK needs to prove himself to the whole of the rest of the team not as Mr Nice Guy but as Mr Highly Valuable Asset as a team member who knows how to lead and follow.       

FulhamStu

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 16, 2019, 06:31:52 AM
The number one rule in football, is first and foremost make yourself hard to beat, that breeds confidence throughout the team. Therefore, the defence comes first, second and last. Get the defence sorted organised and prepared, that is the priority, it's about good habits, and our current defence and certain members of it lack height, lack physicality, lack organisation, lack dominance in the air, lack a commanding player that will marshal and lead the Back Division. Furthermore the last time I had the misfortune to observe them, my deduction is that they will get bullied into submission.
Surgery is needed and needed ASAP.

This is an argument i often use, we tend to be a bit lightweight and frankly Fulham have pretty much always been like this.   I can remember an away fan calling us Johnny Haynes and the Severn Dwarfs back in the 1960's...am I allowed to say that ?

Anyway, football has changed so much since my days, Man City are the model that many love to try and emulate, the trouble is, to play that way required your players to be better coached and better technically than in opposition.   In the championship, we generally were, in the Premier League we most definitely were not.

Facts Not Fiction

The number one rule in football, is first and foremost make yourself hard to beat, that breeds confidence throughout the team. Therefore, the defence comes first, second and last. Get the defence sorted organised and prepared, that is the priority, it's about good habits, and our current defence and certain members of it lack height, lack physicality, lack organisation, lack dominance in the air, lack a commanding player that will marshal and lead the Back Division. Furthermore the last time I had the misfortune to observe them, my deduction is that they will get bullied into submission.

Didn't we get promoted with a strong attack and a relatively weak defense?

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 16, 2019, 07:45:19 AM
We need a RCB to partner Mawson. Preferably with height.
We need Mawson to stay fit. I think he is a leader in defence.

Agree. Hector would fit the bill.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 16, 2019, 08:14:45 AM

Yes but it required a record breaking unbeaten run where we statistically overachieved and had practically 0 injuries. That's very unlikely to happen again. I agree with Woolly. Our defence is currently not good enough for promotion. Add a proper RCB and things will look a lot better. But we're running out of time. We can't sign a CB two days before the start of the season and expect him to be ready.  :022:

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 16, 2019, 08:39:18 AM

Yes but it required a record breaking unbeaten run where we statistically overachieved and had practically 0 injuries. That's very unlikely to happen again. I agree with Woolly. Our defence is currently not good enough for promotion. Add a proper RCB and things will look a lot better. But we're running out of time. We can't sign a CB two days before the start of the season and expect him to be ready.  :022:

I agree that we need a RCB, but apart from that, I think we're set until January. Christie is the main concern, but he deserves at least half a season.

Ians

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 15, 2019, 06:25:35 PM
What do some of you guys want ? Tommy Trinder back, or Ernie Clay or that arse Bulstrode.  We have an ownership putting tens of millions into the training facilities and well over 100 million into Craven Cottage.
They have purchase well and badly, but hardly deserve some of the comments...making me sick!  Honestly, ridiculous comment.

Totally with you on that.

70sPimlico

Everything I have seen from the Khan's, tells me that their good people.

Small number of people on here spout much negativity and hate (dont think thats too strong a word) on TK. It's up to them. It's just not what I'm into.

This post is just to say I quite like them. They make mistakes like the rest of us. Frankly, the day they announced and started building the new riverside was the day I completely bought into them. I do see this as securing our future as a top 20ish english club.

Theyre allowed a few mistakes

Ians

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 16, 2019, 08:48:36 AM
Everything I have seen from the Khan's, tells me that their good people.

Small number of people on here spout much negativity and hate (dont think thats too strong a word) on TK. It's up to them. It's just not what I'm into.

This post is just to say I quite like them. They make mistakes like the rest of us. Frankly, the day they announced and started building the new riverside was the day I completely bought into them. I do see this as securing our future as a top 20ish english club.

Theyre allowed a few mistakes

Indeed, I remember the grass growing up the steps at the Putney End, Letters missing on the Riverside Stand. I was one of the 3,500, look where we are now. Stop the complaining. Me, I can't wait for the season to start. COYW

Statto

What's your definition of "statistically overachieved"?

FWIW I agree we were lucky with injuries although I think that point is already mitigated to some extent by the fact that players like Odoi, Ream, Mcdonald and Ayite are likely to be on the bench this year rather than in the best XI.

I also agree we need a RCB.

Twig

I cannot understand people on here who personalise their view of Shad or Tony Khan (or indeed other members of the FFC management team). We don't know them at all. I am happy to make and read objective criticism or support based on their decisions and actions but that's as far as it goes.  The other stuff just polarises us and generates ill feeling.

For what it's worth, the little I have read about the way Khan senior runs his interests in the US seems quite enlightened.  Certainly nothing to take objection to.

JoelH5

When Al'Fayed left, we could have been bought by any number of tyrants and quite easily been a Bolton or other similar club. The fact we are investing in the squad, stadium and training facility, not to mention actually paying the staffs wages, shows we don't have it bad.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

FFC1987

Quote from: @jolslover on July 15, 2019, 10:59:27 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 15, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on July 15, 2019, 07:21:15 PM
Quote from: Chutney on July 15, 2019, 06:53:44 PM
This happened last summer because people got blinded by names like schurrle and seri despite the fact we actually downgraded our defence.

It is happening again. The TK love in will last until a few weeks in to the season and we are still starting the likes of christie, le marchand and bryan and their mistakes are costing us points.

We could have a front 3 including ronaldo and messi but not go up with our current defence.

That said, our attack is looking tasty. But its not enough to only have a strong attack.

Bryan was the best LB in the Champ the season we got promoted, Christie one of the best RBs in the champ before he joined us. Le Marchand good player at this level.
Defence not looking too bad.

I don't disagree too much but Christie wasn't one of the best RB's in the division.

He was at Derby - 100%

He 100% wasn't. He was an up and coming with a lot of potential but no where near best RB in division.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 16, 2019, 09:19:37 AM
This happened last summer because people got blinded by names like schurrle and seri despite the fact we actually downgraded our defence.

It is happening again. The TK love in will last until a few weeks in to the season and we are still starting the likes of christie, le marchand and bryan and their mistakes are costing us points.

We could have a front 3 including ronaldo and messi but not go up with our current defence.

That said, our attack is looking tasty. But its not enough to only have a strong attack.

Bryan was the best LB in the Champ the season we got promoted, Christie one of the best RBs in the champ before he joined us. Le Marchand good player at this level.

I don't disagree too much but Christie wasn't one of the best RB's in the division.

He was at Derby - 100%

He 100% wasn't. He was an up and coming with a lot of potential but no where near best RB in division.

Christie isn't the best in the championship in his position, but I don't think Kamara or Atiye are either.

FFC1987

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 16, 2019, 12:03:32 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 16, 2019, 09:19:37 AM

He was at Derby - 100%

Christie isn't the best in the championship in his position, but I don't think Kamara or Atiye are either.

I think i'd make the argument that all of the above are capable of performing at that level (best in league) with form but all just aren't consistent enough be it through performance, or injury. I've been down on Christie but have always acknowledged with form, hes more than capable, it's his consistency I'd take most issue with.

The Rational Fan

Consistent players are very expensive, it's often better to give Parker a few more options to choose. I think Parker will find one in form right back each game out of Christie, Odoi, Fossey and S.Sess that's on form.

Chutney

Yes, but our defence is now even weaker.
C O Y W

FFC1987

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 16, 2019, 12:18:26 PM
Consistent players are very expensive, it's often better to give Parker a few more options to choose. I think Parker will find one in form right back each game out of Christie, Odoi, Fossey and S.Sess that's on form.

Again, as an advocate of buying a RB, i'm slowly putting my optimism in a youth prospect comign through. I like the look of Fossey but I get the impression he might struggle with injury.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 16, 2019, 09:00:15 AM

What's your definition of "statistically overachieved"?

FWIW I agree we were lucky with injuries although I think that point is already mitigated to some extent by the fact that players like Odoi, Ream, Mcdonald and Ayite are likely to be on the bench this year rather than in the best XI.

I also agree we need a RCB.

No injuries help enormously, but a bigger deeper squad can provide many of the benefits we got with an injury free season. Two players in every position with an extra GK, CB, Winger and CF is a good rule of thumb.