watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sheffield United and Norwich City

Started by Riversider, July 16, 2019, 03:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

It's like they've already accepted their fate , I give Villa a chance as they battle it out with Burnley and Brighton for survival , but Sheffield United and Norwich City look doomed.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Riversider on July 16, 2019, 03:38:56 PM
It's like they've already accepted their fate , I give Villa a chance as they battle it out with Burnley and Brighton for survival , but Sheffield United and Norwich City look making repetitive replies that aren't funny! .

It's not good for us if they get relegated, they seem like Norwich and Sheffield United are concentrating on next seasons promotion campaign with a view to staying up after that. I actually think it's quite wise by them.

FFC1987

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 16, 2019, 04:09:56 PM
It's like they've already accepted their fate , I give Villa a chance as they battle it out with Burnley and Brighton for survival , but Sheffield United and Norwich City look making repetitive replies that aren't funny! .

It's not good for us if they get relegated, they seem like Norwich and Sheffield United are concentrating on next seasons promotion campaign with a view to staying up after that. I actually think it's quite wise by them.

The Huddersfield model to some extent.

Camel Club

Norwich could be the surprise package in the PL next season. I can't see Sheffield United surviving without spending a stupid amount of money and racking up an unsustainable debt back in the Championship, especially under FFP.

I think both Norwich and Villa could finish outside of the bottom 3. It may already be too late for Newcastle and if you accept the premise that Sheffield will be relegated both clubs have a decent chance of survival.

I can't see Burnley being anywhere other than in the bottom 6, Brighton have taken a huge risk with Hughton's replacement (however well thought of he may be) and Bournemouth cannot continue to overachieve season after season.

Riversider

Bournemouth are in no danger whatsoever next season, not even close.

filham

All teams except the top six will be concentrating on getting those first 40 points, Villa , Everton and possibly Newcastle are big clubs and should do well. I don't thing any team will fold up like us and Huddersfield last season, it will be a rat race at the bottom.

Ruleszz

Quote from: Camel Club on July 16, 2019, 05:01:05 PM
Norwich could be the surprise package in the PL next season. I can't see Sheffield United surviving without spending a stupid amount of money and racking up an unsustainable debt back in the Championship, especially under FFP.

I think both Norwich and Villa could finish outside of the bottom 3. It may already be too late for Newcastle and if you accept the premise that Sheffield will be relegated both clubs have a decent chance of survival.

I can't see Burnley being anywhere other than in the bottom 6, Brighton have taken a huge risk with Hughton's replacement (however well thought of he may be) and Bournemouth cannot continue to overachieve season after season.
cant see norwich surving matr there signings ain't exactly great not sheff utd, all they are doing is signing championship playere lol

ffc73

My Toon mate put a bet on then going down before Rafa moved to China.  He saw it coming & says if they get relegated the winnings will soften the blow but he'd much prefer them to lose Ashley

Horsfield_No9

Cardiff also went this route of buying Champ players and it almost worked in keeping them up. Shouldn't be mocked. Don't we look more daft spending 100m and finishing 2nd bottom?

They also ensure when they go down their wage structures aren't blown and they actually make profit. Smaller clubs without rich owners like us kind of have to play it this way. 
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

St Eve

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 16, 2019, 04:15:35 PM

Mmmm and Villa chose the Fulham model

simplyfulham

Quote from: Ruleszz on July 16, 2019, 05:57:09 PM

cant see norwich surving matr there signings ain't exactly great not sheff utd, all they are doing is signing championship playere lol

And Aston Villa hasn't?!

They've spent £20m on Tyrone Mings...

Tyrone Mings!???!

I don't think Villa have made any better signing then Norwich so far. And Norwich were the better team last season so logic dictates that they are still better than Villa.

Sheffield have been slower but have the better manager and arguably the better squad of the 3 before you take transfers into account.

Texas White

Norwich will go straight back down. Same problem we had. Gift too many chances to the opposition.

FFC1987

Quote from: St Eve on July 16, 2019, 07:04:52 PM

We'll soon see. If we keep large sections of the squad, get automatic then reinvest and establish ourselves for 2-3 years in Prem then its the right model. I don't see huddersfield getting near top 6 to be honest but tehy're slightly different to some teams that managed to keep the nucleus of the team that got them up. Losing Mooy for instance will be massive for them.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 17, 2019, 05:15:56 PM

We'll soon see. If we keep large sections of the squad, get automatic then reinvest and establish ourselves for 2-3 years in Prem then its the right model. I don't see huddersfield getting near top 6 to be honest but tehy're slightly different to some teams that managed to keep the nucleus of the team that got them up. Losing Mooy for instance will be massive for them.

Huddersfield can make a loss over three seasons of £83 million, made profit of £25 million per season in premier league, revenue this years would be £65 million and their costs are currently £96 millon per season. If Huddersfield want to push FFP to the absolute limit, they could spend £100m this season which would be 66x the one year loan price of Seri. We are letting Seri go on 9% of Brentfords totally wages bill.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 18, 2019, 06:20:35 AM

Huddersfield can make a loss over three seasons of £83 million, made profit of £25 million per season in premier league, revenue this years would be £65 million and their costs are currently £96 millon per season. If Huddersfield want to push FFP to the absolute limit, they could spend £100m this season which would be 66x the one year loan price of Seri. We are letting Seri go on 9% of Brentfords totally wages bill.

Yep, you lost me.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

FFC1987

If thats the case, why aren't they?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 18, 2019, 09:34:15 AM

I assume the owner doesn't want to pour his money into the club. The club can spend on increase wages, loss money and maybe get promoted, but the owner might not thinks it's worth it.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 18, 2019, 09:34:15 AM

You and I aren't caught by FFP so there's nothing to stop us spending £100m on superyachts and ferraris. But we don't because we don't have £100m to spend. Something similar may apply to Huddersfield. FFP restrictions are only relevant if you've a chairman with the cash to spend.

FFC1987

I just don't see it I guess. They haven't done anything remotely ambitious since relegation (and last year), makes me think there might be more to the finances.

toshes mate

With an open mind that is not going to allow our misfortune last season to dominate my thoughts this season, I think all three promotion teams start their campaigns optimistically.  They have good managers and settled cores at heart and do not have apparent afflictions behind the scenes.  It can, of course, go all pear shaped very quickly for any team who is not challenging for a top half PL place, but the key is their ultimate staying power to obtain a bit more than one point per game average.  Of course the yo-yo is a default position that can be written into any strategy and requires team builders to concentrate on methodical building rather than trying to be too clever and over ambitious.  I don't think any of the promoted teams have been or are trying to be too clever.   I think at least two of the three will surprise everyone over the course of the seasons and it'll be a much tougher battle at the bottom which isn't decided in March.