News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are we actually still seeing benefits of our europa league run?

Started by General, July 22, 2019, 11:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

All those years later? When a player has that ambition to achieve how much does it count for past successes and what that says about the facilities, expertise and supportive environment at a club.

Knockaert alluded to us being a big club, with a significant history. Whilst nearer the time we obviously did well to be a reason Mladen petric came and moussa dembele the first.. wondering if you think that still plays on the minds of players who are getting into their careers now and would've seen fulham at our peak and been inspired by it for it to still be an attraction for players to come here..?

Obviously images of the final a Wembley and a packed out stand helps enforce this imagery to players but thought I'd float it by you all.

I reckon it'd impact my decision to join.

Andy S

Only individual players can answer this but agents need to sell a club to a player and it all helps for certain

RaySmith

And we were in the Prem for 13 years at that time, and we've just been back there, albeit briefly, and have a rich, ambitious owner and are maybe prepared to pay decent wages for a player like Knockaert, so I think we are quite an attractive proposition, and being a London club probably also helps.

At least they've heard of us!

toshes mate

History cuts any which way and depends upon the version of it you research or read.  I am sure it helps most players that the club they explore as a place to work feels right for them at the moment in time they are considering it.  I think it helps if a club as a really definable and unique personality and atmosphere that attracts more than it repels.  I think one of our greatest selling points is Craven Cottage because it has few rivals in the charismatic places to play football stakes.

junior white

Looking at European finals haven't only Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool been to one since us? Maybe that helps

bencher

Quote from: junior white on July 23, 2019, 07:24:09 AM
Looking at European finals haven't only Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool been to one since us? Maybe that helps

And Arsenal and Spurs.

junior white

Quote from: bencher on July 23, 2019, 07:45:01 AM

And Arsenal and Spurs.
So outside the big 6 we are the only club to have made it, still a big acheivement

Southcoastffc

Quote from: junior white on July 23, 2019, 08:59:22 AM
Quote from: bencher on July 23, 2019, 07:45:01 AM

And Arsenal and Spurs.
So outside the big 6 we are the only club to have made it, still a big acheivement
Villa, Leeds, Nottm Forest, Newcastle. May be others I can't recall. Not SINCE us obv.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Camel Club

Without doubt it still counts as does so much else. When you take away any hype and acknowledge that every club and it's supporters like(s) to think of itself as bigger than it probably is you are left with the facts. And the facts as far as Fulham are concerned are:-

* We are the oldest club in London
* The club and it's training ground are situated in the nicer parts/suburbs of our capital city.
* We have been playing at Craven Cottage for the vast majority of our history and the ground is currently undergoing an exciting redevelopment courtesy of our billionaire owner who wishes to make Fulham an established Premier League club once more.
* Fulham spent 13 consecutive seasons in the Premier League from 2001.
* During that time the club qualified for the UEFA Cup / Europa League on 3 separate occasions and reached the final of the Europa League in 2010.
* Fulham also reached an FA Cup Semi-final during that period.
* Following an absence from the Premier League the club put together a record-breaking 23 match unbeaten run to qualify for the playoffs and won the Final at Wembley to be promoted back to the PL.

In addition the unique history of our club is well documented as are the players who have worn the shirt.

Aside from the facts we may live in the shadow of Chelsea because of the geographical proximity but we are not a mini version of them. We stand alone with our unique identity and history; a history  which so many other clubs look on in envy of.

Twig

All of the above may help but I am pretty sure agents and players look at salaries, bonuses and contractual terms first and foremost.  (Sadly)

Fulham 442

Most players when they sign say flattering things about a club and almost always the same sort of things. It seems expected now as part of their introduction.  I do think being in a nice part of London is one of the reasons we can attract players, plus after a 13 year stint in the PL means everyone has heard of us.

Dr Quinzel

Players just say what they're told to say in these interviews in order to make the fans feel good about themselves and the club. It's just PR.

filham

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on July 23, 2019, 11:14:32 AM
Players just say what they're told to say in these interviews in order to make the fans feel good about themselves and the club. It's just PR.
That is right. Can you imagine a player saying I just had to get away from my last club as the pay was low and I wasn't getting game time, it was the last day of the window and really I just had to grab any remaining offer.