watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How can we not get promotion ?

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, July 23, 2019, 11:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

WE are so much stronger than the team 2 seasons ago, with more players to come.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Tempest

Sadly, doesn't work that way, I think the exception rather than rule is a relegated team getting a good start, I fully expect us to struggle to get to grips with the Championship,  happy with top 6 at the moment and go up via play offs. Pretty sure a few "better teams" expected to finish above Sheffield United. Just hoping the fans show patience if we do start slowly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

The Rational Fan

I think our depth is still lacking with injuries certain to occur, especially in attacking midfield as our results in 17/18 were terrible without Cairney fit. I also think we may underestimate the loss of Ryan Sessegnon aa he maybe better for us than his replacement, especially because he played almost every minute of 17/18. We also very dependent on our centre forward Mitro and centre back Mawson staying fit.

I Ronic

Our last season in the Championship was magical. This time I'd like to see us as possible league winners from the begining of the season and not start chasing till after Christmas. To early to say whose going to win it. Injuries, decisions at key moments in games etc but it's all coming together.

David I

It's a strong league, we still have the worst defence from the prem season, Rico has gone, unbalanced, lacking in depth  ... apart from that I'm not really sure why we are not guaranteed promotion  :022:

Andy S

Getting too confident is very dangerous but I'm sure we will give it a go

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Andy S on July 24, 2019, 01:33:40 AM

Seri, Anguiissa and MLM played well in 17/18, but most didn't see them all until 18/19 and concluded they aren't worth the price paid. Every English Football Fan has seen why TK wants Knockaert and Calaverio, but that doesn't guarantee that we haven't overpaid for them.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Tempest on July 23, 2019, 11:44:45 PM
Sadly, doesn't work that way, I think the exception rather than rule is a relegated team getting a good start, I fully expect us to struggle to get to grips with the Championship,  happy with top 6 at the moment and go up via play offs. Pretty sure a few "better teams" expected to finish above Sheffield United. Just hoping the fans show patience if we do start slowly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Most relegated teams lose too much talent and their players have learnt to not lose rather than win.

..FOF..

The big audacious goal or objective should be to get that No 1 automatic promotion.

To prevent overconfident, the management should place MEASURABLE KPI or Key Result or whatever you call it these days to track progress and identify which area needed help before it gets worse.

We simply cannot go in thinking mid-table or just surviving or even a playoff.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ..FOF.. on July 24, 2019, 07:18:51 AM
The big audacious goal or objective should be to get that No 1 automatic promotion.

To prevent overconfident, the management should place MEASURABLE KPI or Key Result or whatever you call it these days to track progress and identify which area needed help before it gets worse.

Want a Big Goal?

Four wins and Two draws from first six games
1. Barnsley (A)
2. Blackburn Rovers (H)
3. Huddersfield Town (A)
4. Millwall (H)
5. Nottingham Forest (H)
6. Cardiff City (A)

And, don't play deadline day signings at all until after first international break.

..FOF..

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 24, 2019, 07:26:36 AM

Want a Big Goal?

1. Barnsley
2. Blackburn Rovers
3. Huddersfield Town
4. Millwall
5. Nottingham Forest
6. Cardiff City

And, don't play new players (those after Knockaert) until after first international break.

THAT would be overconfident:)

Key Result or KPI should be placed every quarter in a season to collect data to measure, reflect upon it and then improve in the next quarter.

Asking for 4 win and 1 draw by picking numbers from the air adding to it being the start of the season, that could backfire on the motivation of the team.

toshes mate

Paper strong, result weak ... how many leaders in business, politics and life generally have lost and surrendered in these circumstances ...

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ..FOF.. on July 24, 2019, 07:34:48 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 24, 2019, 07:26:36 AM

Want a Big Goal?

1. Barnsley
2. Blackburn Rovers
3. Huddersfield Town
4. Millwall
5. Nottingham Forest
6. Cardiff City

And, don't play new players (those after Knockaert) until after first international break.

THAT would be overconfident:)

Key Result or KPI should be placed every quarter in a season to collect data to measure, reflect upon it and then improve in the next quarter.

Asking for 4 win and 1 draw by picking numbers from the air adding to it being the start of the season, that could backfire on the motivation of the team.

Maybe we should aim for Norwich's results last season for first six games : 1 win, 2 draws and 3 losses (WBA, Sheffield United and Leeds), it worked out of in the end.

Fernhurst

Re: How can we not get promotion ?

Don't worry Rog, we will find a way!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SuffolkWhite

Expectation is always the killer, one game at a time and enjoy the ride. You could spend 100m and still only win a few games! Funny old game football. Team spirit is more important this season than ever.
COYW
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Two Ton Ted

How can we not get promotion?

A long term injury to Mitrovic, or expecting tp wing every game 3-2, as our defence is still poor.

Two areas that need addressing before season kick off.

Never ever bloody anything ever.

S.F.Sorrow

'So much stronger'?

I don't see it that way. We've upgraded a couple of positions but we've also downgraded one or two, like RB. Our defence still looks poor. A lot will depend on Anguissa finding his feet in the Championship and that's still a huge unanswered question IMO. KMac was one of the most important players in our promotion team but sadly he looks too slow now.

Personally I see the starting 11 as SLIGHTLY stronger but with an unexperienced head coach instead of Jokanovic.

And we're sorely lacking in depth. Injury to Cairney or Mitro = disaster. Cover at LB is a problem too, especially if MLM is a regular starter at CB. Hopefully we will avoid injuries until the deadline day arrivals have had a couple of weeks to settle in.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 24, 2019, 02:03:17 AM
Quote from: Andy S on July 24, 2019, 01:33:40 AM

Every English Football Fan has seen why TK wants Knockaert and Calaverio, but that doesn't guarantee that we haven't overpaid for them.

They were loans so we definitely haven't overpaid for them...

ALG01

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on July 23, 2019, 11:25:00 PM
WE are so much stronger than the team 2 seasons ago, with more players to come.

Sorry to say we are not 'so much stronger.'
1 our two full backs are rather less good
2 we will not have sess
3 we do not have a totally exeprienced proven manager
4. knock is a good signing but could be another loose cannon
5 center backs rely on mawsom remaining fit and living up to what we actually expected
6 anguissa? Many see him as a star in the making, I see him as a liability in the making
7 MLM if he starts regularly our defence will be substantially less capable

I do agree the two forwards we got are good positive signing s but that does not make us a better team.

filham

How can we miss out on promotion, don't worry we are past masters at it.
A few good reasons:-

1.That short cross field passing just outside our own penalty area , teams will be awake to it and it could easily cost us a few matches.

2.Betts failing to get hold of crosses, teams will be looking for this possibility from every corner.

3. Direct passes to the opposition in our half by Odoi from time to time.

4. A couple of red cards for Kamara.

5. A serious injury to Mitrovic.

6. A serious injury to Cairney

7. Losing a couple of our best players in the last week of the window.

Winning promotion requires good solid performances all through the long season, Parker will have a tough job to develop and maintain the right attitude, nothing should be taken for granted.