watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Youth players

Started by flyingfish, July 24, 2019, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingfish

Isn't most of the stuff written on social media expounding at length on the quality of our youth players just coming from the social media/twitter echo chamber?

For example as a STH I think I've seen S Sessegnon play a total of about 30 minutes in an early round of the league cup, certainly not long enough to come to much of a judgement about him. The odd video clip here and there.

I don't understand the massive clamour for him to be starting RB in the league when the vast majority of people haven't even seen him play.

No doubt some will respond that they've watched him week in week out in every under 23 game therefore know what he's like but it's pretty unlikely that everyone clamouring for him to start has event seen him play other than video snippets? Ditto ORiley - think he played 8 minutes against Exeter last year or something - can't be that great then?

If they was that good wouldn't thy have started last season once we were relegated?

Dr Quinzel

There was no chance any youth players were being played last season, as Parker saw it as his audition.

Elliott being the exception, in order to drive up the potential fee at tribunal.

flyingfish

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on July 24, 2019, 04:14:41 PM
There was no chance any youth players were being played last season, as Parker saw it as his audition.

Elliott being the exception, in order to drive up the potential fee at tribunal.

My point being that  people speak a lot about youth players based on what exactly? The odd video clip? I really have minutes whether sess II is better than Christie....

fulhamben

Quote from: flyingfish on July 24, 2019, 10:44:42 PM

My point being that  people speak a lot about youth players based on what exactly? The odd video clip? I really have minutes whether sess II is better than Christie....
you've also got to factor in that some would play anyone over Christie.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

flyingfish

Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2019, 11:22:06 PM

Which, again, is an orthodoxy on social media.

The Rational Fan

Last season, we signed a lot of good players that took 15-30 games each to adjust to the Premier League; most of our youth players are going to take equally long to adjust to the Championship. If possible, its time to send them on loan to a team that they will start every week and if still in the championship next year then bring them back as a regular sub.

flyingfish

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 25, 2019, 03:13:48 AM

Last season, we signed a lot of good players that took 15-30 games each to adjust to the Premier League; most of our youth players are going to take equally long to adjust to the Championship. If possible, its time to send them on loan to a team that they will start every week and if still in the championship next year then bring them back as a regular sub.

Agree with that. Don't understand how sess is suddenly a preferred starter over Christie!

Tabby

Have we ever had a youth player go out on loan to then establish themselves here? The loaning out mantra is a bit of a broken record when we have teams like Tottenham integrating them straight into the squad.

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2019, 11:22:06 PM

I don't think thats true.

Two Ton Ted

After watching so many u-23's in action against Oxford the other night I'd say none of them are remotely ready for elevation to the first team squad.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Tabby on July 25, 2019, 10:08:44 AM
Have we ever had a youth player go out on loan to then establish themselves here? The loaning out mantra is a bit of a broken record when we have teams like Tottenham integrating them straight into the squad.

Spurs send their youth on loan. Kane, Winks, Rose all have done so.

Tabby

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on July 25, 2019, 01:29:54 PM
Quote from: Tabby on July 25, 2019, 10:08:44 AM

Spurs send their youth on loan. Kane, Winks, Rose all have done so.

Harry Winks didn't go on loan anywhere. Walker-Peters and Skipp have never done so either. Kane and Rose went out on loan before Poch got in charge. The ones who go on loan are the ones that they're looking to sell more often than not, like Edwards, Onomah and Carter-Vickers.

If we're looking at the top 3 young RB's of England, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Max Aarons and Trent Alexander-Arnold none of them went out on loans to acclimatise. Norwich managed to walk the league with a player that I'm sure half the board here would send off to Portsmouth so he can get acclimatised.

Dr Quinzel

You're right, Winks didn't. I still don't think it's an indicator of a player who won't make it however.