Main Menu

Why hasnt the club sorted out the CB?

Started by Deuce, July 24, 2019, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 25, 2019, 10:10:58 AM
A good question!

Poor recruitment to say the least!
Hutchinson, Bodurov, Madl, Stearman, Djalo, Sigurdsson.
Burn was worth a punt but very one dimensional (that's being kind) and even Ream only came good when the "keep ball" tactics came in.

Odoi? I have a soft spot for him but he's not really the permanent answer at CB is he?
MLM? Looking decent most of the time is not enough if you always have a couple of dodgy moments every game.
Mawson? Now fit, now is the time to see his ability and leadership.

I rated Madl and don't think we should've let him go.

Deuce

I see some of you are answering my question more or less based on this summer, and thats fine. My question was however more general as to why we havent paid attention to the CB-role quite as much as other positions. What we do this window, doesnt explain why we didnt try and fix this 2-3 seasons ago or so.

But lets base this on the current window. I still dont buy it. We might have enough for the Championship for now. Odoi, Ream, MLM and Mawson should do the business even thou a big red flag for me is the lack of pace. We'll be playing with a high Dline this season, and might just get caught out a lot more than two seasons ago.

What I miss is however the somewhat more long term investment into the CB. As I said, Ream/MLM/Mawson/Odoi might do well this season, but this just means that - if things go well - we'll need at least one new, preferably two, CB. One of which should go straight into the XI. This means that whoever that new cb is, needs to build a cb-pairing with Mawson/new CB and do that in our first season back into the PL. Thats not ideal for any new cb, let alone a completly new cb pair.

Deuce

Quote from: filham on July 25, 2019, 11:48:45 AM
A very good OP Duece , I too am disappointed at the money we have spent and yet failed to sign a good centre back.
I think perhaps we should realise that Hughes and Hangeland were exceptional and were bound to leave us with a problem when they left, we should however have solved that problem by now.

I actually had time for Dan Burn who is playing well right now , perhaps we should have kept hold of him a litte longer
Thanks!

As for Hughes/Hangeland I think a lot had to do with Whoy keeping the team under a very strict tactic, and Hughes thrived under it. He was, just like Konch and Euthu, a limited player that Hodgson got the most out of. Hangeland was the real gem, and hit the ground running basically. But, on the other hand, times are a changing and the premiership is a lot more competetive now than before. Making shrewd signings like Hangeland is rare.

Deuce

Quote from: filham on July 25, 2019, 06:19:24 PM
Not sure the centreback is our priority, we have added Mawson and Le Marchand since we were last in the Championship, that may get us by.
If Anguissa is not going to stay then another strong midfield player is more critical.
Maybe not this summer, but when was it our main priority? Shouldnt it have been at some point during the last 3-4 years or so? Thats my point.

Statto

Soccer 101 with Tony Khan -

Need a centre back? Nah, have 2 wingers instead.

Playing in the English league? Have some players from Spain and France. It's all the same. 

Pre-season friendlies? Meh, no need for that. Just as long as you get your transfer business done by the time the season starts, that's fine.

Lyle from Hangeland

What center back should Tony Khan bring in? What is his or her name? Do you guarantee they will be successful at Fulham?

Woolly Mammoth

A Centre Back is necessary, it's just a case of looking in the right places, which I imagine is the responsibility of the recruitment team.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rock

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on July 26, 2019, 10:30:26 PM
What center back should Tony Khan bring in? What is his or her name? Do you guarantee they will be successful at Fulham?

Chambers. That's it.

Feel better? Dream on. Oddly, that's about all it would take.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 26, 2019, 10:50:12 PM
A Centre Back is necessary, it's just a case of looking in the right places, which I imagine is the responsibility of the recruitment team.

No money now that we amortised Seri and Anguissa over one year instead of five years. We have to cut wages by at least £10million this year, a sacfrice made rather than being stuck with Seri and Anguissa for five years. In my opinion a dumb move, We should have played Seri and Abguissa off the bench so we had money for a CB. If we don't sell Sessegnon we will have to sell Betts or Cairney, this could end up really badly.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 26, 2019, 11:57:49 PM

No money now that we amortised Seri and Anguissa over one year instead of five years. We have to cut wages by at least £10million this year, a sacfrice made rather than being stuck with Seri and Anguissa for five years. In my opinion a dumb move, We should have played Seri and Abguissa off the bench so we had money for a CB. If we don't sell Sessegnon we will have to sell Betts or Cairney, this could end up really badly.

Why would their values now amortize over 1 Yr instead of 4/5 yrs? We still own both players for that long. We've loaned them, not given them away.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 27, 2019, 12:28:05 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 26, 2019, 11:57:49 PM

Why would their values now amortize over 1 Yr instead of 4/5 yrs? We still own both players for that long. We've loaned them, not given them away.

If another club has a option to buy a player, then this is the maximum that intangible asset price of the player can be o. our accounts. Fulham must writeoff "Buy Price X 4/5 - Option Sale Price" this year, which is probably more than playing his contract down. If we cannot get a replacement, then we just swapped Anguissa for Tayo Edun this year.