watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why hasnt the club sorted out the CB?

Started by Deuce, July 24, 2019, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deuce

Following this summers transfer business (and gossip), I cant help but feel ambivalent. We are doing some great business in the attacking department. Cant complain about Knockaert or Cavaleiro. But, with rumours mostly consisting of midfielders/wingers (Cabral, Besic, Omoah, N'Koudou) I cant help but feel that the club is neglecting the CB role.

The club is once again looking for the cheaper option at the back with the more obscure spanish Chema as the only CB-rumour, apart from a (wait for it..) loan deal for Chalobah the younger.

We havent seen a proper premiership quality CB since the days of Brede and Hughes. And since Brede left, this is how the club decided to act when trying to sort out the Brede shaped hole left in our backline: Since 14/15 the club have spent roughly about 30 million euros on different CBs in: Casasola (1 millon), Hutchinson (free), Ream (1,7 mil), Stearman (1,3 mil), Sigurdsson (4,7 mil), Madl (1,5 mil), Odoi (1 mil), Djalo (800k), Mawson (16 mil), Le Marchand (4 mil). Its fair to say that besides Ream, Mawson and Odoi, thats not money well spent.

And lets not forget the CB loans: Turner, Kalas, Chambers.

In my opionion, the club has only made two real tries in order to sign a quality CB in Mawson and perhaps Sigurdsson, at the time. Odoi and Ream were good signings but never really the type of signings that scremead premiership quality.

So why are Fulham/Khan seemingly keen to only splash the cash on strikers, midfielders and wingers, and not - in a number of seasons - tried to properly adress the CB situation? Im fully aware that attacking players tend to be a bit more expensive, but that still doesnt explain why the club seems so keen on trying to sign bargain deals for the CB roles - when this approach clearly isnt  applied elsewhere in the squad (except for when the need for added depth occurs)

I cant remember the last time we were rumoured to sign a high quality CB. Such an important position, why not adress this properly once and for all? You build a team from the back, solidifying the defence first. At least imo

fulhamben

Maybe just maybe, and I'm not saying this is the case, but maybe parker thinks he has enough for the center back position. And I know we sucked in the prem, but how many centre backs out there would actually improve on what we have and still want to play in the championship. If we had of bought mlm and mawson in this window, I'm certain we would have all been happy.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Milo

For me, RB should be our new priority and then leave it at that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cav, AK, and Knockaert became our top 3 and Mitro struggles a bit to find form.

The Rational Fan

Fulham has limited money, and we have Christie, Odoi and Ream on the bench against West Ham that is an exceptional championship bench, yet preseason Kebano is in our first XI upfront. I would upgrade by getting attacking midfielder to cover Cairney and maybe left winger to replace Kebano/Ayite.

If there is a lesson from the first half of 17/18, second half of 17/18 and most of 18/19 that people are missing is that when all the first XI and bench players are fully fit we stay on track with our objectives (ie automatic promotion or avoid relegation). We easily has the strongest First Xi this season, but Stoke, Leeds and Huddersfield have better benches according to transfermarkt.

fulhamben

Quote from: Milo on July 24, 2019, 10:48:59 PM
For me, RB should be our new priority and then leave it at that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cav, AK, and Knockaert became our top 3 and Mitro struggles a bit to find form.
must admit, I'm a tiny bit worried about mitros from too. He been pretty shocking in 2019. Although his form did dip when ak was sent out on loan. So hopefully with him, the new ak and cav all raring to go, they can help to get mitro back on track too

fulhamben

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 24, 2019, 11:18:35 PM
Fulham has limited money, and we have Christie, Odoi and Ream on the bench against West Ham that is an exceptional championship bench, yet preseason Kebano is in our first XI upfront. I would upgrade by getting attacking midfielder to cover Cairney and maybe left winger to replace Kebano/Ayite.
cav will play down the left.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2019, 11:20:35 PM

Calv has averaged 1,700 over the last three seasons as Wolves, who will do the other 2,600 minutes. If he is play centre forward for 700 minutes this season, then there is 3'000 minutes for a left winger. Even the promotion season Calv only managed 2,500 minutes. Are you happy Kebano do the remain 1,500?  Generally, if a winger is tired after 70 minutes and you need another winger to unlocks defensive. We need 13 wins by Christmas, scoring with reserves against Milwall and Luton is key.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

The key here is.............rumours.
Who knows what's going on really ?
I'm sure, the way things are going this window that we will be surprised.
The only reason we weren't surprised about Cav or Knock is that someone
"gobbed off about it"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

wheelerdeeler

I'd expect to sign a Centre-Back, it's just when. I'm personally not too concerned with us starting the season with Mawson and Le Marchand. Especially as they've played together a few times already in Pre-Season and I'd expect them to do so again against West Ham based on Odoi starting against Oxford. Barring injury I think the defence that started against Brighton will start against Barnsley. 

And I'd also add that all along I've thought our most "likely" Centre-Back signing was Michael Hector, in which case he'd only have been in for Pre-Season starting on Monday- so we'd have been starting the season with Mawson and Le Marchand anyway.

Nero

maybe just maybe, we are waiting for the last day of the window to see what happens with Chambers, Arsenal want rid are offering in deals to get players so if they dont shift him we might make another cheeky loan bid

fulhamben

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 24, 2019, 11:31:43 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2019, 11:20:35 PM

Calv has averaged 1,700 over the last three seasons as Wolves, who will do the other 2,600 minutes. If he is play centre forward for 700 minutes this season, then there is 3'000 minutes for a left winger. Even the promotion season Calv only managed 2,500 minutes. Are you happy Kebano do the remain 1,500?  Generally, if a winger is tired after 70 minutes and you need another winger to unlocks defensive. We need 13 wins by Christmas, scoring with reserves against Milwall and Luton is key.
am I happy for ayite and Kebano to be back up for cav down left? Yes, yes I am. More than happy. They both played a big part in our last promotion so the fact that neither are now seen as possible first steamers for that position, just goes to show how strong we are in that department

The Rational Fan

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 24, 2019, 11:42:15 PM
I'd expect to sign a Centre-Back, it's just when. I'm personally not too concerned with us starting the season with Mawson and Le Marchand. Especially as they've played together a few times already in Pre-Season and I'd expect them to do so again against West Ham based on Odoi starting against Oxford. Barring injury I think the defence that started against Brighton will start against Barnsley. 

And I'd also add that all along I've thought our most "likely" Centre-Back signing was Michael Hector, in which case he'd only have been in for Pre-Season starting on Monday- so we'd have been starting the season with Mawson and Le Marchand anyway.

Its debatable who is the better centre back out of Michael Hector or MLM, both our Championship CB's in their late 20s. Michael Hector has an advantage he knows the Championship and MLM has an advantage he has learnt to play with the other CBs. MLM/Ream formed a good partnership last season, Mawson/MLM seems an even better partnership, Mawson/Ream is also good, Odoi/Ream is proven acceptable and Odoi/MLM is acceptable provided the rest of the team is at full strength.

Rather than buy a RCB now, I think we should keep a good amount of money £20m in the transfer kitty for the "winter transfer window" to either a) add some talent to get promoted (if we are 2nd to 7th position), b) build for next season in the championship (if we are below 8th position) or c) build for next season in the premier league (but that's only if we are coming 1st with no championship gaps in the squad, so we buy either a Premier League RCB or RB which ever we need most).

southwest6

could it not be that we are just waiting to sell sess and will then use that money on a CB/RB?

Porthogs FC

Quote from: southwest6 on July 25, 2019, 04:11:16 AM
could it not be that we are just waiting to sell sess and will then use that money on a CB/RB?
I think we're waiting on Sess and Anguissa. Have a feeling RCB and CDM are our priorities and will be funded by one sale, that of Sess. Anguissa could be a loan apparently, which wouldn't find a thing.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Porthogs FC on July 25, 2019, 04:48:07 AM
Quote from: southwest6 on July 25, 2019, 04:11:16 AM
I think we're waiting on Sess and Anguissa. Have a feeling RCB and CDM are our priorities and will be funded by one sale, that of Sess. Anguissa could be a loan apparently, which wouldn't find a thing.

If we go into the Premier League next season, we would have Mawson as the only first XI Premier League CB. We would have to buy two more centre backs, and at least one of the three would have to be able to play both RCB and LCB. Right Footed Mawson is already a premier league LCB and CCB, he seems ideal as a able to learn to do all three.

If fit, i expect Mawson to be a better RCB than Jansen who was in the Championship PFA team of the year as RCB. If i was TK, I'd get loan players in defensive if we cannot get good enough for Premier League.

Holders

Quote from: fulhamben on July 24, 2019, 10:43:37 PM
Maybe just maybe, and I'm not saying this is the case, but maybe parker thinks he has enough for the center back position. And I know we sucked in the prem, but how many centre backs out there would actually improve on what we have and still want to play in the championship. If we had of bought mlm and mawson in this window, I'm certain we would have all been happy.

It's all very well SP taking the view that we can get through this season with what we have but if we get promoted we surely need to have our PL CB partnership experienced with playing with each other. Though I  note, of course, that Hangeland was brought in by Roy mid-season.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

fulhamben

Quote from: Holders on July 25, 2019, 07:59:48 AM

It's all very well SP taking the view that we can get through this season with what we have but if we get promoted we surely need to have our PL CB partnership experienced with playing with each other. Though I  note, of course, that Hangeland was brought in by Roy mid-season.
yes, but what premiership standard center backs are going to drop down and play for us this season

The Rational Fan

Quote from: fulhamben on July 25, 2019, 08:54:44 AM

yes, but what premiership standard center backs are going to drop down and play for us this season

If every one in front of Anguissa is premier league quality this window, then we can invest big behind Anguissa in 2020 (winter or summer).

As Sam Allardyce pointed out if a team gets promoted his recommendation is to spend £100m on three positions possibly with more than one signing.

I think TK and SP maybe thinking the same with a plan to upgrade RB, RCB and DM in 2020. If that's his plan he'll make do with what he has plus some championship loans (Michael Hector is a Championship type player)..

toshes mate

Perhaps it is time our (what should be fabulous) networking outlets paid dividends and found another 'Smalling' laying around somewhere just waiting to be discovered ...

fulhamben

Quote from: toshes mate on July 25, 2019, 09:27:28 AM

Perhaps it is time our (what should be fabulous) networking outlets paid dividends and found another 'Smalling' laying around somewhere just waiting to be discovered ...
yo do no smelling was pretty crap in the few games that he actually played for us  didnt he score two own goals and gave away a penalty