News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Must obtain new signings early to learn our system?

Started by ealex40, July 31, 2019, 01:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ealex40

I suppose it would be ideal to sign people earlier, to get used to our system. However, international players don't get a lot of time to practice before a match in mid-season..... especially new call ups. I know people will say it shows when England struggle, but nobody seems to use the excuse that they need more time to get used to each other.
Also, even if we sign someone late in the window, aren't they suppose to already be fit and raring to go? In the old days, a new signing might travel to his new club and play a day or so later. They are professional athletes, under contract,  who should maintain their fitness level at all times. I just read that Eden Hazard turned up at Real Madrid, 7 kilos overweight. Contracts and loyalty mean nothing to these spoiled and overpaid prima-donnas.

The Rational Fan

Our three early buys in the last two years are MLM, Seri and Fabri. We are terrible at buying early. It's not a good idea unless we can get the right players.

brightster

I am sure the club want to sign players early, but it's not as easy I as we all think, the agents and players wait for better deals to come along most of the time, been listening to other managers who are all saying the same thing.
I would like a smaller window of say July 1st to 15th July. Less time for the agents to stall the progress of a deal.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 31, 2019, 04:58:49 AM
Our three early buys in the last two years are MLM, Seri and Fabri. We are terrible at buying early. It's not a good idea unless we can get the right players.

Are you suggesting those three are better or worse than Rico, Chambers and Anguissa, whom we signed late? Equally poor IMO.

Historically under TK I'd suggest our early signings have been much better...

17/18

JULY: Djalo, Cisse, Kamara, Piazon, Norwood, Kalas (50-70% success rate IMO)

AUGUST: Rui Fonte, Mollo, Ojo, Soares, Graham (0-20% success)

16/17

JULY: Madl, Ayite, Aluko, Odoi, Malone, Button, McDonald, Kalas (100% success)

AUGUST: Jozabed, Sigurdsson, Kebano, Johansen, Piazon, Martin (50% success)

humussapiens

What is our system, btw?

Under SJ I knew, after CR I have no clue.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 31, 2019, 09:04:36 AM

Are you suggesting those three are better or worse than Rico, Chambers and Anguissa, whom we signed late? Equally poor IMO.

17/18

16/17

Mmm! you have a point with previous seasons. Btw i do think the late signings of Bryan, Chambers and Anguiissa were better than MLM, Fabri and Seri. Although the later three took a long time to bed dowm.

Lighthouse

We have a system of playing out from the back. That seems to be fairly clear from many of the friendly games. To the point where we put ourselves under needless pressure.  I have never been a believer that players need to come in early to learn how a team plays. But needless to say it is better to play in a team that you at least know the names of the players you are playing with and how they move to collect a pass etc. 

However players in all team generally move late in the window.  We like to pick out the exceptions but they are just that, exceptions. But clearly when we have had a problem in a certain position over some years it is frustrating when players who have come in, prove to be less than adequate to the task.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

the nutflush

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 31, 2019, 12:04:26 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 31, 2019, 09:04:36 AM

17/18

16/17

Mmm! you have a point with previous seasons. Btw i do think the late signings of Bryan, Chambers and Anguiissa were better than MLM, Fabri and Seri. Although the later three took a long time to bed dowm.

Bryan was barely a pass. Chambers was good after we found the right position for him. The rest were titanic disasters.