Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (01/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 01, 2010, 08:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219358

Fulham - That's More Like It!
How ninety minutes makes a difference.

Two Clint Dempsey goals have brought Mark Hughes out of the metaphorical dog house and suddenly, despite the weather on Saturday, it's not all doom and gloom in SW6.

We were, to put it bluntly, beautiful against Wigan yesterday. By no means perfect, but beautiful, without a doubt.

Some of the football we played could have almost put Hodgson to shame and it was a joy to watch from the stands; stands which were filled to the brim with nothing but Fulham fans.

The likes of Hughes and Hangeland were rocks at the back, however, they were barely needed such was our dominance within the tie.

The passing was crisp and elegant, while some of the flair shown from Dembele and Dempsey for example, was something more suited to Brazilian football than an end-of-October affair in the Premier League.

And, the plaudits have to go to Sparky for this turn in events.

Now, I think it's fair to say our 'poor' run of form was slightly over-exaggerated and in reality, we weren't in the sorry state we were made out to be by some media outlets.

Yet, Hughes still had a job on his hands to prove to some that he is indeed the man to carry the Whites forward, and, his style of play and approach to the game showed he certainly is that man.

Take Salcido for example. The left-back was easily the man of the match in my eyes. His presence on the wing and his array of pin point crosses caused the Latics no-end of problems.

I'm sure we're all aware of who moved quickly over the Summer in order to bring in the Mexican in what is now clearly a great piece of business.

On top of that, we were disciplined and played some really nice stuff. Those who doubted Hughes' ability to allow his teams to play attractive, free-flowing football can stand back and congratulate the man on building upon the strong foundations that Hodgson left us behind.

And finally, it's the sheer intent that we now show. There's no sitting back and allowing teams to come onto us, instead, we take the game to our opponents and it's a delight to see.

As I said at the start, we weren't perfect, and it will be decent amount of time until we are the team that Sparky wants to build.

In the second half for example, we didn't threaten nearly as much as we did in the first, but, the signs are there that we have really quite a good setup at Craven Cottage now and Hughes' capped it off delightfully when finalising his post match interview, with the line

'I feel we are a top 10 side and I won't be persuaded from that.'

Well, here's to finishing in the top ten then!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219358#ixzz1414F1zyM

WhiteJC

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/soccer/article/2010/oct/31/american-delivers-victory-to-craven-cottage-via-me/?

American delivers victory to Craven Cottage via Mexico as Salcido stars

Clint Dempsey struck twice as Fulham avoided a third successive Premier League defeat to rocket up the table. Dempsey, paired alongside Moussa Dembele in attack, took his tally for the season to five with both goals arriving in the first half of an encounter dominated by Mark Hughes' side.

The USA international's brace saw him take centre stage at Craven Cottage, but left-back Carlos Salcido was another outstanding performer. Salcido, a £1.6m summer signing from PSV Eindhoven, set up the opener for Dempsey and was a constant menace to Wigan's over-worked defence. The Mexican has become a key attacking weapon and his reputation at Craven Cottage is growing.

Fulham should have won by a more convincing scoreline given their ascendancy, with Zoltan Gera and Brede Hangeland missing chances. It was Wigan's first defeat in seven games in all competitions and they appeared lethargic, hardly troubling Mark Schwarzer throughout the 90 minutes.

The lively Simon Davies, who along with Danny Murphy was restored to the midfield after overcoming injury, squared a quickly-taken free-kick when he should have pulled the trigger himself.

Charles N'Zogbia ended a dynamic run by blazing wide of the left post as Wigan enjoyed a rare attacking moment. N'Zogbia continued to look Wigan's most penetrating player as he darted into space once again, though on this occasion his shot fell straight into the arms of Schwarzer.

Fulham were still the more likely goalscorers, however, and in the 30th minute they crept into the lead through Dempsey. Murphy sprayed the ball wide to Salcido who dashed forward before delivering a tremendous cross into the six-yard box.

Dempsey drifted in between Antolin Alcaraz and Caldwell before outjumping the latter and heading into the corner to give goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi little chance.

Fulham almost extended their lead but Gera hit the side netting with a sweetly-struck shot and a heartbeat later the Hungarian shook his head in reaction to missing a sitter. The dangerous Salcido delivered another superb cross which Dempsey appeared to have converted only for Al Habsi to scoop his effort off the line.

The danger was not over as the ball fell to Gera but he somehow nodded over from point-blank range.

Fulham were on the rampage and the second arrived a minute before half-time, Chris Baird supplying a wonderful pass that outwitted Caldwell for Dempsey to thump home.

Dembele was eventually crowded out as he zig-zagged his way into Wigan's area before Salcido found the top netting with a speculative lob.

The home defence was largely confined to a watching brief as Wigan struggled to secure any possession.

Fulham continued to dominate but could not produce the decisive ball, though Jonathan Greening caused a few anxious moments with a crafty pass.

Davies slid a ball across goal that the omnipresent Dempsey just failed to meet before stabbing Gera's cross wide. Gera and Dembele saw attempts foiled by desperate defending as Fulham pressed for a third they richly deserved. Davies was replaced by Andy Johnson with 10 minutes to go, but the striker had little impact as outgunned Wigan focused on damage limitation.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219360

Fulham - And The Manager`s Views!
The win was a welcome relief for all those at the Cottage!

After the game both managers spoke about the game, firstly Mark Hughes, who remarked,

"We were comfortable. I feel we are a top ten side - I have seen what we can produce."

"Clint took his goals exceptionally well and was a real threat."

Probably what we expected from Mark.

Secondly, Roberto Martinez, who commented,

"We came here with no real energy and we were unable to compete."

"Fulham played very well but it is the type of performance we must eradicate from our season."

Probably what we`d expect from the losing manager as well!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219360#ixzz1414p5Wo7

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=837747&sec=england&root=england&cc=5739

Team of the week

Though the demons of his clanger in Rustenburg will probably never be exorcised, Rob Green has quietly gone about the business of restoring his damaged reputation this season. Despite his resistance being broken late on against Arsenal, when Alex Song headed home from close-range, Green's succession of excellent saves saw West Ham come tantalisingly close to being rewarded with an unlikely away point. In what was his finest post-World Cup performance, Green kept a side that had scored 12 goals in their previous three games at bay for 88 minutes with a commanding display. An England recall may not be far away.

Branislav Ivanovic is doing his best to keep Jose Bosingwa and Paulo Ferreira out of the side
Branislav Ivanovic has had to fight for his place in the Chelsea defence, with the formidable centre-back partnership of John Terry and Alex keeping five clean sheets from a possible seven this term. And with one eye on the returning Jose Bosingwa, Ivanovic appeared keen to stake his claim to the Blues' right-back berth, topping off an impressive display against Blackburn with the game's winning goal. With Chelsea looking flat-footed and far and away second best at Ewood Park, the Serbian remained full of energy and proved to be Chelsea's key attacking outlet on the right. As Paulo Ferreira was being readied to replace him, Ivanovic's far post header secured a late, if undeserved, win for the Blues.

With the likes of David Silva, Emmanuel Adebayor and Mario Balotelli in town, the likelihood of a towering performance by Wolves' young centre-back Richard Stearman seemed remote. But the 23-year-old defender rightly won the plaudits from his manager, Mick McCarthy, who described his performance as "brilliant". Indeed, Stearman's ability to maintain his composure after conceding a first-half penalty showed maturity beyond his years and, after the game, McCarthy cooed: "You make a mistake and give a penalty away and you could crumble against a team like that. He reacted really well and defended superbly afterwards."

When you wake up and realise you are about to spend 90 minutes defending against the physically-imposing strike partnership of Johan Elmander and Kevin Davies, going back to bed must seem like an appealing option. But Sotirios Kyrgiakos wasn't fazed by Bolton's fearsome front pair, and marshalled them effectively enough to help Liverpool claim a rare clean sheet, at the Reebok Stadium. With two goals in his previous three matches, Kyrgiakos may have fancied his chances of adding to that total against the Trotters, but his display on this occasion was all about defensive solidity.

Just as Chelsea clinched victory when they weren't at their best, Arsenal were given a run for their money by a West Ham side rooted to the bottom of the table. But Gael Clichy had the key to unlock the Hammers' defence very late on at the Emirates; his inch-perfect cross in the dying minutes found Alex Song's head and prevented Arsenal's title-challenge from stalling before it really started. In another display of defensive discipline and tireless running, Clichy's influence from left-back was evident again and helped the Gunners keep a valuable clean sheet.

Wolves had a number of heroes on the pitch to help inspire their surprise fight back against Manchester City's band of merry millionaires, but Matt Jarvis's performance was particularly eye-catching. Jarvis, signed from Gillingham in 2007, has long been tipped for an England call-up by the Molineux faithful, and they witnessed him play the role of conductor once again as he orchestrated his side's comeback. Wes Brown and then Gary Neville were tormented by Jarvis in the Carling Cup in midweek, and it was Micah Richards who played the role of right-back victim on Saturday. Richards couldn't get close to Jarvis, who had a hand in the two goals that have now dented Manchester City's title-challenge.

Rafael van der Vaart is, at the moment, perhaps the last player any defensive midfielder would want to mark, but Darren Fletcher played an integral role in reducing the Dutchman's influence during United's controversial 2-0 victory over Spurs. Fletcher's industrious display saw him cover almost every blade of grass and the Scot, so often the heartbeat of the United team, was central to many of their attacks. His ability to retain the ball and find the right pass as United burst forward was crucial in dictating the cadence of his side's play.

In a derby game that means so much to the North East, the midfield battle between captains Kevin Nolan and Lee Cattermole was always going to indicate the outcome. All afternoon, Nolan dominated the midfield, with his knack of timing his late runs to perfection causing Sunderland irreparable problems. Ultimately, he was the star of the show as an improvised flick, a calmly taken side foot and a powerful header saw him claim a stunning hat-trick that capped off a fine all-round display.

Clint Dempsey has had some great moments in the Premier League but also some quiet ones, with consistency the biggest enemy of a player who has proven on many occasions his ability at the highest level. Thankfully for Fulham, the Texan forward was in devastating mood for the visit of Wigan, scoring two excellent goals to hand the Cottagers a 2-0 victory. He climbed superbly to power an unstoppable header past Ali Al-Habsi for his first, manoeuvred acrobatically to score a second and could have had a third if not for some superb Al-Habsi saves.

Clint Dempsey was at his unplayable best against Wigan, netting twice in Fulham's win
Not many players can run Chelsea ragged, but former Portsmouth and Manchester City striker Benjani did his level best to do just that with a menacing diplay against the reigning champions. Chelsea's experienced defenders were left in his wake time and time again, with the Zimbabwean's darting runs, superb positional sense and aerial presence leaving John Terry and Alex in knots on more than one occasion - a feat that few Premier League forwards will achieve this season.

The excellent early season form of Andy Carroll may have limited Shola Ameobi's appearances to that of substitute, but the St James' Park stalwart made an unmistakable statement of intent in what was only his third league start this season. An expertly taken penalty and a sweet second-half volley further endeared him to the Magpies faithful - who have now been witnessing his goalscoring exploits for more than ten years. Chris Hughton can surely leave Ameobi out of his next starting line-up at his peril.

Mick McCarthy pulled off one heck of a half-time team talk at Molineux on Saturday. Trailing a side with a multitude of attacking options, Wolves came out for the second half like a side whose lives depended on securing victory. Their fearlessness, spirit and clinical finishing mugged Roberto Mancini of what he would have expected to be a straightforward three points. Instead, McCarthy equipped his side to outperform City in every area of the pitch, and they succeeded. Matt Jarvis takes the plaudits for taking the game by the scruff of the neck, but McCarthy wins praise for what must have been an epic pep talk.

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/10/increasing_capacity_at_the_cot.php?

Increasing Capacity at the Cottage

Fulham's ambition to match the elite of the Premiership must be dictated by our ability to generate revenues from money at the gate. Are we ready to go to the next level?
Our deep emotional attachment to Craven Cottage and football down by the river is both our strength and weakness. It is the 'tie that binds,' in the words of Johnny Cash. We all recognise the unique heritage invested in our quirky West London home that makes it as much a favourite among visiting fans as with ourselves.

Take the packed houses who experienced the heartstopping drama of our midweek Europa League ties last spring. TV and DVD's cannot come close to conveying the electric atmosphere that built over the heads of those lucky enough to be inside the ground. 25,000 people ceased to be individuals for a few brief minutes. Hemmed in by the chill night they morphed into one gigantic ball of energy - as vital as life itself - at the final whistle. 25,000 men, women and children as eucharist, embodying the very substance and soul of Fulham Football Club.

From a previous generation I still vividly recall as a schoolboy standing among the 47,000 plus crowd for our 2-2 draw with Man United in 1967, our largest post-war attendance. That of course was on banked terracing of a type never to be seen again. But taking the Wigan game as an example of Fulham's growing box office appeal, I wonder if the Club might soon see fit to add another 3,000 or so to our ground capacity?

The feasability study and build plan already exists to basically fill in the four corners. A more ambitious plan to make the Putney End a two tier monstrosity would involve some goodwill from the local planning department, as this requires new exit ramps and a slice of Bishops Park to get people away from the ground safely, but don't rule it out. That could take us up above 30,000, and generate £4 million more pounds per season over 19 home games if we continue selling out.

Examining attendance figures from recent Wigan games show we are clearly adding extra box office appeal. We sold out this season's game on the back of an indifferent run and with virtually no away support. That was an improvement of 3,000 from last April's fixture. I'll skip the 2008 home game as it was midweek, so going back a further season to 2007, our Wigan game then, albeit when we were in the bottom three, attracted 20,000.

I do know the executive at the club said last season they wanted clear evidence of a permanent growth to our fan base before pushing ahead with further ground alterations. With Aston Villa also sold out 8 days in advance, I would suggest the time has come for action.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325394/Fulham-2-Wigan-0-Mark-Hughes-loves-bargain-Carlos-Salcido-earns-managers-plaudits.html?

Fulham 2 Wigan 0: Hughes loves a bargain as Salcido earns manager's plaudits

Managers dream of having the transfer budget which goes with being at the world's richest club - but Mark Hughes is relieved to have escaped it.

In his last job at Manchester City, Hughes had enough money to sign any footballer on the planet.

Bargain basement: Hughes was delighted with Salcido's display yesterday

But the Fulham boss prefers the challenge presented by a tighter budget, and the opportunities it offers for spotting unheralded, value-for-money talent.

THE REBUILDING OF AJ
Andy Johnson returned as a substitute for Fulham against Wigan, ending a nightmare 14-month battle with three separate injuries. 'I hope I never experience anything like it again,' he said.
Aug 2009 Hurts shoulder in Europa League tie against Amkar Perm following a barge by Dmitry Belorukov.
Nov 2009 Comeback wrecked by groin problem, which requires surgery and rules Johnson out for three further months.
Jan 2010 Knee cartilage damaged in challenge by Blackburn's Chris Samba. Top US surgeon Dr Richard Steadman conducts the operation but Johnson misses eight more months.

That is why he took such satisfaction, during Saturday's 2-0 win over Wigan, from the displays of Carlos Salcido and Moussa Dembele. That pair cost a combined £6.6million - or around a third of what City paid for the now unwanted striker Roque Santa Cruz.

'I enjoy that part and maybe that was forgotten at my last club,' said Hughes. 'People just assumed I cherry-picked players and spent lots of money... which I did! But I had a track record prior to that of picking decent players and I'll back my judgment on that time and time again.

'I don't like harking back to the City situation because it's got nothing to do with me, but at that time they wanted to run very quickly. So we had to get numbers in and maybe the numbers were too many too soon. When you've got time you can use your judgment, use your contacts and find good players.'

That certainly seems to be the case with Salcido - and Paul Konchesky's departure to Liverpool now looks like something of a blessing in disguise.

'We had a situation with Konchesky that presented itself as soon as I walked in the door,' said Hughes. 'We tried to resist the attention of Liverpool and we did for a few weeks. But we realised we should look at the options and see if we could get someone in who wouldn't weaken us.

'If I'd felt Konchesky leaving would weaken us, I wouldn't have allowed it to happen. With Carlos (Salcido), having seen him play, the level he's played at and the experience he has, it wasn't a risk letting Konchesky leave. Now you're seeing a player who really enjoys the Premier League.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325394/Fulham-2-Wigan-0-Mark-Hughes-loves-bargain-Carlos-Salcido-earns-managers-plaudits.html?#ixzz1416ASUKh

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6480035,00.html?

Hughes - I can spot a player
Fulham boss ready to wheel and deal as he plays the market

Mark Hughes believes his ability to spot a player will come to the fore at Fulham given he no longer deals with the astronomical budgets afforded to him at Manchester City.

Prior to his spell at Eastlands, where he was practically given a blank chequebook and told to spend, he earned a reputation for being a shrewd mover in the transfer market when at Blackburn.

Carlos Salcido, a £1.6million summer signing from PSV Eindhoven, has quickly settled into life at Craven Cottage since being brought to the club by Hughes, with the Welshman of the opinion the Mexican's success is testimony to his eye for a bargain.

The buccaneering left-back is capable of delivering pinpoint crosses, as Clint Dempseywould attest after profiting from his team-mate's delivery at the weekend in bagging a brace in a 2-0 over Wigan.

"I enjoy the part of spotting a player's potential," said Hughes.

"Maybe it was forgotten I could do that when I was at City because people presumed I could cherry pick players, spending lots of money...which I probably did!

"But prior to that I actually had a track record of picking decent players. I'll back my judgment on players time and time again. I like to think I'm good at it.

"At City they wanted to run very quickly so we had to get numbers in. At times it was too many, too soon, but that was the remit I was working to.

"When you can use time, your judgment and your contacts, then you can get good players in."

Ideal replacement

Salcido's remarkably swift acclimatisation to the Premier League has meant the departure of Paul Konchesky has barely been noticed.

Konchesky joined former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson at Liverpool in a £4million deal but Hughes believes he has signed a superior replacement.

"The situation with Konchesky presented itself when I walked through the door here," he said.

"We tried to resist the attention of Liverpool. We managed it for a few weeks but then decided to look at our options.

"We wanted someone who would enhance us, certainly not weaken us. If I felt Paul leaving would weaken us, I wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

"I'd seen Carlos, the level he'd played at and his experience and didn't see it as a risk allowing Paul to go.

"Now you're starting to see what Carlos can do. He's very humble and enjoys his work.

"He thrives in this environment with the type of football we're playing. Overall it's a good fit."

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/johnson-can-see-the-light-2121876.html?

Johnson can see the light

Before Bobby Zamora emerged as Fulham's spearhead, there was Andrew Johnson. Remember him? The former England international who the Cottagers bought in 2008 for £10.5m from Everton. He played a full campaign in his first season in south-west London but last year picked up a problem in August, came back too quickly and then disappeared from view after an FA Cup tie in January.

Finally, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. After a brief appearance at West Bromwich last week, he came on as a substitute for the last 10 minutes of this easy win.

All this time away has not been easy for Johnson, who turns 30 in February. He said: "I was out for three months with my groin as well before [this injury] so it has been a 14-month lay-off. It's been very frustrating, very hard, it has definitely done my head in. It's like London buses, they all come along together – that's how my injuries have been. I have had a lucky career as regards to injuries but those 14 months have been very difficult."

Since August last year, his injuries have been to a cruciate ligament, a shoulder, his groin, and then this year his knee. Rushing back from one led to another, by loading stress on other parts of his body. He is four weeks away from full fitness but still showed some nimble touches in his cameo. By that stage Fulham were cruising as Clint Dempsey's first-half goals – a header and a well-taken strike – were enough against an abject Wigan, whose manager Roberto Martinez, admitted were "mentally flat" after reaching the last eight of the Carling Cup.

Still, Fulham took a worryingly long time to secure their first win in seven games. Only once left-back Carlos Salcido got forward did they pose a threat. It was the Mexico international who provided the cross for Dempsey's first, before Chris Baird supplied the American with the pass for the second as Fulham jumped into the top half of the table. To stay there keeping everyone fit is the minimum requirement.

Man of the match Dempsey

Possession: Fulham 65% Wigan 35%

Shots on target Fulham 9 Wigan 3

Referee A Marriner (West Midlands)

Attendance 25,448

Match rating 7/10

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/208804/Fulham-s-Andy-Johnson-Fans-patience-will-be-repaid/?

FULHAM'S ANDY JOHNSON: FANS' PATIENCE WILL BE REPAID

ANDY Johnson thanked Fulham fans for their patience after emerging from 14 months of injury hell at Craven Cottage on Saturday, but warned it would be another four weeks before he is back to his best.

Johnson's return was a happy sub-plot on a day when two goals from Clint Dempsey gave Fulham victory over a woeful Wigan side and a much needed lift into the top half of the table.

But it was the first sight for home fans since January of the £10.5million striker that dominated the post-match chatter.

After first suffering a shoulder injury in a Europa League match in August 2009, Johnson returned a month later only to sustain a bad groin injury and then a knee problem in January last season, both of which required surgery.

Johnson received a warm reception when he came on and looked lively in a 10-minute cameo.

And after taking time to salute all corners of the ground and hand his shirt to one lucky fan, he said: "They have been absolutely fantastic and to come back to a set of fans like that is truly amazing.

"I just need to get match fit now. I am looking forward to every day now in training and hopefully in four weeks' time you will see me super match fit, back to how I was."

Fulham were posting only their second victory of the campaign but rarely will they meet a team as abject as they encountered here.

After citing tiredness from their mid-week Carling Cup exertions, Wigan manager Roberto Martinez accepted his side played poorly, saying: "We need to make sure that performance doesn't happen again."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/160881/Fulham-2-Wigan-1-Bargain-hunter-Sparky/?

FULHAM 2 - WIGAN 1: BARGAIN HUNTER SPARKY

MARK HUGHES had cash to burn at Manchester City – but he insists he much prefers wheeling and dealing at Fulham.

Having unearthed Premier League gems Morten Gamst Pedersen and Roque Santa Cruz during his spell at Blackburn, the need to find rough diamonds wasn't on his Eastlands job description.

Sheikh Mansour's endless riches saw Hughes spend mega money on the likes of Robinho, Gareth Barry, Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor and Joleon Lescott during his ill-fated tenure as City manager. But Sparky's switch to Craven Cottage has seen the Welshman return to what he knows best – and the Fulham boss looks to have discovered another untapped talent in left-back Carlos Salcido.

The Mexico international was in sizzling form on Saturday as the west London side cruised past a pathetic Wigan to end a run of six games without a win.

Salcido set up Clint Dempey's with a pinpoint cross that the American nodded home in the 30th minute, while his energetic bursts up and down the left flank really caught the eye.

Hughes said: "I enjoy spotting a player and maybe that was forgotten at my last club.

"People just assume I cherry-picked players and spent lots of money, but I had a track record prior to that of picking decent players and I'll back my judgement on that time and time again. I don't like harking back to the City situation because it's got nothing to do with me, but at that time they wanted to run very quickly.

"When you've got time you can use your judgement, use your contacts and find good ­players."

Salcido may not have even joined Fulham had Hughes continued to dig his heels in over Liverpool's interest in Paul Konchesky.

He added: "If I felt Konchesky leaving would weaken us, I wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

"But with Carlos, having seen him play, the level he's played at and the experience he has, I didn't think it was a risk allowing Konchesky leave."

The two biggest cheers of the afternoon came when Dempsey gave the home side a deserved lead before doubling Fulham's advantage on the stroke of half-time with an exquisite finish on the half-volley from Chris Baird's cross.

But the introduction of Andy Johnson inside the final 10 minutes followed closely behind.

It was the former England striker's first appearance at Craven Cottage since January.

Johnson, who had to battle back from shoulder, groin and knee problems, said: "My injuries have been like London buses – you wait hours for one and then they all come along together. I must have stood on a black cat."

Latics manager Roberto Martinez blamed his side's display on their midweek exertions in the Carling Cup, saying: "We were flat. We didn't have any energy, we didn't look a threat, we didn't keep the ball well.

"We all know Fulham are very strong at home with a high tempo. I just thought the game against Swansea took a lot out of us."

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/11/01/aj-will-get-better-for-fulham-says-boss-64767-27576156/?

AJ will get better for Fulham, says boss

MARK Hughes has promised the best is yet to come from Andy Johnson.

The Fulham forward came off the bench for the second consecutive game in Saturday's win against Wigan.

It's been a frustrating year out injured for the former England international, but Hughes is delighted with his progress.

The Whites boss said: "We are pleased with AJ, he got 10 minutes and this is what he needs.

"He is close to starting for us but it is important that we don't push him to the fore too quickly.

"Exposing him to the Premier League again is the right way to go."

With Bobby Zamora out until early next year, Hughes knows there is no better time for Johnson to quickly recapture his form.

"We saw little snap shots against Wigan and the ability he has to get past people like he always has done - he is going to be a good player for us," Hughes added.

"It's a long time for him to be out but you have to be really mentally strong and that is what he is showing at the moment."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/11/01/mark-hughes-hails-carlos-salcido-s-impact-at-fulham-82029-27575995/?

Mark Hughes hails Carlos Salcido's impact at Fulham

CARLOS Salcido has more than filled the void left by Paul Konchesky, according to Fulham boss Mark Hughes.

The pacey Mexican left-back has made an instant impression at the Cottage since Konchesky followed boss Roy Hodgson out the exit door to Anfield.

Hughes is delighted with the way Salcido has settled into his role, but it has certainly come as no surprise.

He said: "I did not think it was a risk to see Paul Konchesky go because of Carlos's level of international experience.

"He enjoys the intensity of the Premier League and thrives on the type of football we play - it is what he is used to for teams he has played with before."

The £1.6million summer signing from PSV Eindhoven continued to hit the heights on Saturday after turning provider for Fulham's all-important first goal against Wigan.

And the 30-year-old's contribution didn't go unnoticed by his boss.

"Everyone saw how good his understanding of the game was against Wigan," Hughes added.

"He gets forward into wide spaces and offers us a real attacking threat, as we saw with the first goal.

"All in all, we could not be happier with him."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/11/01/mark-hughes-hails-carlos-salcido-s-impact-at-fulham-82029-27575995/?#ixzz1418QaeVI

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8101298/Mark-Hughes-talent-spotting-pays-off-as-Fulham-beat-Wigan-Athletic-at-Craven-Cottage.html?

Mark Hughes' talent-spotting pays off as Fulham beat Wigan Athletic at Craven Cottage
Fulham 2 Wigan Athletic 0

High rise: Clint Dempsey heads Fulham ahead against Wigan
Photo: REUTERS

Mark Hughes has watched from afar the problems at Manchester City, the apparent falling out between players and management and inconsistent results, and the Welshman can afford a private smile.

On Saturday he saw his current team, Fulham, produce a controlled, intelligent and attractive performance to end a worryingly long spell without a win, a victory inspired by two relatively unknown players spotted and signed by the manager.

Hughes took particular pleasure from the performances of Carlos Salcido and Mousa Dembélé, a Mexican and a Belgian who exposed woeful Wigan Athletic's failings.

As Manchester City struggle with their millionaire squad, their former manager said: "I enjoy seeing my signings succeed and maybe that was forgotten at my last club. People just assumed I cherry-picked players and spent lots of money ... which I did!

"But I had a track record prior to that, of picking decent players and I'll back my judgment on that time and time again. I like to think I'm good at that.

"I don't like harking back to the City situation because it has got nothing to do with me. But in fairness, at that time they wanted to run very quickly.

"So we had to get numbers in and maybe the numbers were too many too soon. That was the remit I was working to. When you've got time you can use your judgment, use your contacts and find good players."

Fulham flourished as Clint Dempsey destroyed a Wigan side who wilted in the late autumn sunshine. Dempsey's two first-half goals gave Fulham a cushion that enabled them to give a run out to Andy Johnson for the final few minutes.

By his own admission, Johnson is a mix between a London bus and the Bionic Man. But there was enough to suggest, in his 10 brief but eventful minutes, that the wait for the striker has been worthwhile.

Patient Fulham have waited seven weeks and seven games for a win, and finally got a glimpse of Johnson, nine months since he last trod the turf at Craven Cottage.

Johnson, though, has had a year he would rather forget. A knee injury kept the one-time England striker out of the game for three months and when he returned he injured his shoulder. And when it seemed he was ready to come back again it was discovered he needed surgery on a new knee problem.

"I feel like the Bionic Man," said a relieved Johnson. "And it's like a London bus, you wait hours for one and then they all come along together – that's how my injuries have been.

"I must have stood on a black cat. Mentally, it is so hard, but the reward for getting through it comes through the reaction of the fans."

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/01/fulham-wigan-athletic-premier-league?

Mark Hughes is keen to unearth more gems in the transfer window
• Carlos Salcido is the Fulham manager's latest shrewd buy
• 'When you've got time to look, you can get good players '

Carlos Salcido, right, evades the challenge of Wigan's Ronnie Stam and sets off on
another powerful, surging run down Fulham's left flank. Photograph: John Stillwell/PA

Of all the skills required of a manager of Manchester City the ability to spot a bargain is not one of them. Away from Eastlands, though, Mark Hughes has been able to rediscover his knack for shopping at the sharper end.

Carlos Salcido, a £1.6m signing from PSV in the summer, was the catalyst for this victory and any January reinforcements at Craven Cottage are likely to be of a similar ilk – unheralded, rather than household, names. It is a challenge that Hughes is relishing.

"I enjoy that part of it," said the Fulham manager. "Maybe that was forgotten somewhat at my last club because people just assumed I went out and cherry-picked people and spent lots of money. I probably did. But I actually had a track record prior to that of picking decent players up. I like to think I'm good at that.

"I don't want to keep harking back to the City situation because it's got nothing to do with me but in fairness at that time they wanted to run very, very quickly, so we had to get numbers in and at times the numbers were too many too soon. That's where we were. When you've got time, you can use your judgment, use your contacts and you can get good players."

At Blackburn Hughes was responsible for, among others, the signings of Ryan Nelsen and Chris Samba, the defensive rocks upon which Sam Allardyce's current Rovers side is built, for a combined total of well under £500,000 and, although Salcido cost rather more, it seems Hughes has unearthed another gem. The Mexican created the opening goal for Clint Dempsey and enjoyed a rampaging afternoon from left-back.

"We had a situation with Paul Konchesky which presented itself as I walked through the door," said Hughes. "We tried to resist the attentions of Liverpool at the time but then we thought we'd have a look at our options and see if we could bring someone in who could enhance us and certainly not weaken us. I felt that Carlos, the level that he's played at, the experience that he has, meant it was not a risk to allow Paul to go. What I like about him is that he's very humble, he enjoys his work, he likes the type of football that we play, because that's what he's used to. All in all it's a good fit for us and for him."

With Wigan labouring, Dempsey added the second before half-time, this time capitalising on a cross from Chris Baird. It ended a run of five games without a win for the Cottagers. "More than anything, today was all about the result," said the American, who has now scored four times in the league this season and could be on course to reach double figures for the first time since his days with New England Revolution. "We had slipped down the table and that wasn't where we wanted to be. This win has put us in a more positive position and we can build on that and move forward."

While Fulham leapt from 16th to ninththe manner of Wigan's defeat is a worrying one for Roberto Martínez. The Spaniard is something of a one-off as a manager. He learned his footballing philosophy playing "Fútbol Sala" on the five-a-side pitches of Catalunya, yet spent the bulk of his career twinkling his toes among the hardmen of England's lower leagues. It is a combination of silk and steel that he has always attempted to instil in the teams he has coached, but the Latics showed neither at Craven Cottage.

After decent performances against Bolton Wanderers and Newcastle United in recent weeks yielded only two points they got exactly what they deserved here.

"It's a disappointing day," said a brutally honest Martínez. "We had two very good performances in the last two games but today we were flat, we didn't have any energy, we didn't look a threat, we never kept the ball well, we allowed Fulham to dictate things, we couldn't stop crosses from the wide areas – every single department showed we couldn't cope with Fulham's intensity."

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/redknapp-fulham-ace-dempsey-best-american-play-england-1217641?

Redknapp: Fulham ace Dempsey best American to play in England

Former Tottenham and Liverpool star Jamie Redknapp has described Fulham ace Clint Dempsey as the best American to play on English shores.

Dempsey struck twice in victory over Wigan Athletic and Redknapp wrote in his Daily Mail column: "Clint Dempsey is the best American to have played over here.

"Consistently, he performs well, scores goals and can either lead the line, play deeper, or play wide. He scored two on Saturday in a big win for Mark Hughes and Fulham. He is trying to make them more adventurous, but they had slipped towards the wrong end, and Dempsey won them three points."

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hughes-selling-konchesky-liverpool-no-loss-salcido-1217701?

Fulham boss Hughes: Selling Konchesky to Liverpool no loss with Salcido

Fulham boss Mark Hughes says selling Paul Konchesky to Liverpool was no risk with Carlos Salcido lined up.

Konchesky's departure to Liverpool now looks like something of a blessing in disguise.

"We had a situation with Konchesky that presented itself as soon as I walked in the door," said Hughes. "We tried to resist the attention of Liverpool and we did for a few weeks. But we realised we should look at the options and see if we could get someone in who wouldn't weaken us.

"If I'd felt Konchesky leaving would weaken us, I wouldn't have allowed it to happen. With Carlos (Salcido), having seen him play, the level he's played at and the experience he has, it wasn't a risk letting Konchesky leave. Now you're seeing a player who really enjoys the Premier League."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6479678/Hughes-shows-talent-for-picking-players?

Hughes shows talent for picking players

Mark Hughes believes his gift for spotting talent may have been overlooked amid the extravagance of his reign at Manchester City.

Fulham striker Clint Dempsey stole the show at Craven Cottage on Saturday after firing both goals in the 2-0 Premier league victory over Wigan.

But the USA international had to share centre stage with Mexico defender Carlos Salcido, a £1.6million summer signing from PSV Eindhoven.

Salcido has become a key attacking player and is establishing a reputation as a dynamic left-back capable of delivering pinpoint crosses.

Hughes is pleased to have unearthed another gem and believes it is a skill he has not always been given credit for during spells at Blackburn, City and now Fulham.

"I enjoy the part of spotting a player's potential," said the Cottagers manager.

"Maybe it was forgotten I could do that when I was at City because people presumed I could cherry pick players, spending lots of money...which I probably did!

"But prior to that I actually had a track record of picking decent players.

"I'll back my judgment on players time and time again. I like to think I'm good at it.

"At City they wanted to run very quickly so we had to get numbers in.

"At times it was too many, too soon, but that was the remit I was working to.

"When you can use time, your judgment and your contacts, then you can get good players in."

Salcido's remarkably swift acclimatisation to the Premier League has meant the departure of Paul Konchesky has barely been noticed.

Konchesky joined former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson at Liverpool in a £4million deal but Hughes believes he has signed a superior replacement.

"The situation with Konchesky presented itself when I walked through the door here," he said.

"We tried to resist the attention of Liverpool. We managed it for a few weeks but then decided to look at our options.

"We wanted someone who would enhance us, certainly not weaken us.

"If I felt Paul leaving would weaken us, I wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

"I'd seen Carlos, the level he'd played at and his experience and didn't see it as a risk allowing Paul to go.

"Now you're starting to see what Carlos can do. He's very humble and enjoys his work.

"He thrives in this environment with the type of football we're playing. Overall it's a good fit."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325328/Roque-Santa-Cruz-set-Getafe-loan-Fulham-face-battle-land-striker.html

Roque Santa Cruz set for Getafe loan move as Fulham boss Mark Hughes faces battle to land unsettled Manchester City star

Fulham boss Mark Hughes could miss out on a reunion with Roque Santa Cruz with the Manchester City striker set to be on the verge of sealing a January loan escape to Spanish outfit Getafe.

The Paraguay international has fallen out of favour at Eastlands under manager Roberto Mancini, making just one appearance so far this season in the Carling Cup defeat to West Bromwich Albion.

Hughes, who signed Santa Cruz both for Blackburn and then last year costing City £17million, registered an interest in signing the unsettled forward in the summer.
s
Having failed to finalise a deal before the window slammed shut in September it is understood the Fulham manager listed the 29-year-old at the top of his transfer wish-list for January.

However it is believed City are reluctant to do business with any of their Barclays Premier League rivals for any of their players unless it is an outright deal.

Leicester boss Sven Goran Eriksson is also said to be keen on a temporary deal for the former Bayern Munich hitman but the Championship side would only be able to offer City a £20,000-a-week contribution - a fraction of the player's weekly salary.

Santa Cruz is deeply frustrated at his lack of playing activity having fallen way down the pecking order behind Carlos Tevez, Mario Balotelli, Emmanuel Adebayor and Jo.

It is reported that La Liga side Getafe would offer him first team football assurances and president Angel Torresis set to open discussions with City chiefs in a bid to beat off rivals suitors from England and Spain, with Real Mallorca and Espanyol also keen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325328/Roque-Santa-Cruz-set-Getafe-loan-Fulham-face-battle-land-striker.html#ixzz141AvnUN4

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/11/01/fulham-star-delighted-with-important-wigan-win-82029-27578842/?

Fulham star delighted with 'important' Wigan win

ZOLTAN Gera admits Fulham's victory over Wigan on Saturday was vital.

The Whites went into the game on a five-match winless streak, but Clint Dempsey's first-half double saw them ease past the Latics.

And Gera insists the three points were just what they needed.

He said: "We looked forward to this game because we knew it was very important to the club.

"We didn't disappoint. It was a very good performance, especially in the first-half, and we totally deserved the three points.

"A 2-0 lead at half-time is dangerous, because if you start the second-half sloppy you can allow them back into the game if they score.

"We played well for the whole 90 minutes. We should've score one or two more, but we're happy to win 2-0."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/11/01/fulham-star-delighted-with-important-wigan-win-82029-27578842/?#ixzz141VV1Khf

WhiteJC

http://www.offthepost.info/2010/11/match-of-the-day-steals-two-points-from-fulham/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

MATCH OF THE DAY STEALS TWO POINTS FROM FULHAM

The screenshot above seems to show Fulham manager Mark Hughes staring towards the Match of the Day captions looking a little perturbed. And with good reason. He could have sworn his side had scored two goals against Wigan.

Sparky, what's the score?