watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We're a strange lot

Started by JoelH5, August 08, 2019, 10:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelH5

Today we manage to snatch a promotion rivals best striker for £10m making them considerably weaker and a lot of fans are still upset.

I know we needed a defender but Ream was player of the season the year we went up. How do we know he won't regain that form?
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Jimsbeerbelly

JoelH5

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on August 08, 2019, 10:19:32 PM
It was a loan

Loan with and option to buy at 10 mill. Thanks for your contribution!

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: JoelH5 on August 08, 2019, 10:20:42 PM
It was a loan

You said we snatched him for 10M, we did not, it was a loan.

Luka

Well for what's its worth I'm happy with the business we did this transfer market.
I think every incoming player has strengthened the squad.

JoelH5

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on August 08, 2019, 10:31:27 PM
It was a loan

Thanks Jim!

JoelH5

Quote from: Luka on August 08, 2019, 10:31:49 PM
Well for what's its worth I'm happy with the business we did this transfer market.
I think every incoming player has strengthened the squad.

I think most this morning would have said we needed a ST, DM and a CB. We got two of the three so not that bad.

Statto

So the players we lose if we don't go up this year are

Knockaert
Cavaliero
Reid
Reed
Arter

And probably Odoi and Johansen, and at least one, if not both, of Mitrovic and Cairney.

So only two thirds of the team, that's fine.

JoelH5

Quote from: Statto on August 08, 2019, 10:33:35 PM
So the players we lose if we don't go up this year are

Knockaert
Cavaliero
Reid
Reed
Arter

And probably Odoi and Johansen.

So only two thirds of the team, that's fine.

Let's hope we go up then!

FFC1987

I feel like we've gambled two ways though. One with how Statto just summed up and secondly, but not bringing in a CB. I can't see how one can disagree with that. Its certainly high risk, granted with potential high reward, but the CB was a no brainer.

ALG01

they seem good signings
BUT
we needed defenders as a top priority and gt none
we have a very poor right back and LB I am not impressed with, the goal at Barnsley was a good example of what is wrong with him, as it was all last season. mawsom for the goal danced like a disco gogo dancer not knowing whether to come or stay amd conmsequently did nothing worthy of the name. so we needed defeneders, that is the issue we have massively unbalanced squad as we have for several seasons but do not have slav to try and paper over the cracks. the signings look to be good, but we needed defenders.

JoelH5

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 08, 2019, 10:35:25 PM
I feel like we've gambled two ways though. One with how Statto just summed up and secondly, but not bringing in a CB. I can't see how one can disagree with that. Its certainly high risk, granted with potential high reward, but the CB was a no brainer.

I don't think anyone would say we shouldn't have got a CB in. Like.you say it's a big risk what we've done but there's no reason Mawson and Ream may not strike a good partnership and we end up being okay.

JoelH5

Let's not forget we got Stuart Gray back

FFC1987

Quote from: JoelH5 on August 08, 2019, 10:37:27 PM

I don't think anyone would say we shouldn't have got a CB in. Like.you say it's a big risk what we've done but there's no reason Mawson and Ream may not strike a good partnership and we end up being okay.

Whilst true, one could say the same with our midfield of StefJo and KMac, sadly, I don't see that happening either!

JoelH5

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 08, 2019, 10:39:02 PM
Quote from: JoelH5 on August 08, 2019, 10:37:27 PM

Whilst true, one could say the same with our midfield of StefJo and KMac, sadly, I don't see that happening either!

Yes but Kmac wasnt player of the season nor has he really played for 14 months where as Ream has

FFC1987

KMac was up there though, but playing time is fair enough, good point.

fulhamben

Quote from: JoelH5 on August 08, 2019, 10:32:01 PM
It was a loan

Thanks Jim!
and actually we dont have an option to buy him either. If there was an option the club would have said so. Instead the club has said it's a one year loan that could  later be made permanent. So no option
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jamie88

Quote from: fulhamben on August 09, 2019, 10:29:17 AM
Quote from: JoelH5 on August 08, 2019, 10:32:01 PM
It was a loan

Thanks Jim!
and actually we dont have an option to buy him either. If there was an option the club would have said so. Instead the club has said it's a one year loan that could  later be made permanent. So no option

Saying 'a one year loan that could be made permanent' is the the same thing as option to buy

HV71

We have definitely made some good signings and therefore that deserves some credit
BUT
Any decisions whether it  be in the rarefied world of football or any business has to be put in the context of priorities . Has to be 100%.  Surely , as the majority of people on here have pointed out - we needed defenders. That was the priority and we drew a blank.
This window was good but not good enough

snarks

At this stage who knows whether the defence is good enough,

It was the season before last, when we were promoted, we lost 2 of that back 4, when we got promoted, and the new back 4 never gelled or was given the time to gel.

However a fully fit Mawson with a preseason, may make the back 4 a better unit. Also I think Betts vocally will make a difference to Rico from last season too.

Are the current players we have for a back 4 (or 5) good enough? possibly is the only answer now. If we were in the Prem are they good enough - no definitely not.