watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Building from back & Khan's new buys

Started by 70sPimlico, August 11, 2019, 01:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

V pleased we are sticking to our style. Few older chaps around me having kittens with it. I think if I have one gripe, its that having created space, we often took the easy option other than a slighty risky forward pass. Odoi played it a little too safe.

Some fans will need to relax and not get on the players backs. Their under instruction and clearly working on it during the week. Theyre not going to just "get rid of it" because its encouraged teams to pressure. That is the point.

Suprisingly, Alfie looks the least comfortable with it but Tim Ream is superb and I think will rub off on Mawson.

The biggest help was Arter. You cannot do succesfully if the midfield dont drop and not just want the ball but absolutely demand it. TC playing higher up is interesting as, well, I think we all like him high up but he also is superb at giving an out to the defence. We got better as the game went on and we will get much better as the season develops.

Occasionaly Blackburn went short and the difference was clear, they were so nervy and couldnt wait to "get rid of it".

I posted on here after the barnsley game and midweek that I really didnt think our major problem was defence. I thought the problem was our midfield, the tactics on pushing the full backs high all the time & front 3 not holding onto the ball.

I belive the player purchases we have made are superb and have addressed the real areas of weakness we had.
I listened closely to the Tony Khan interview on fulhamish and he talked about charachter of players bought.

Its clear we went for a type.  in Knockheart, Arter and both Reid's we have got exactly the players we needed but also players that want to dictate the game. They all seem to be very vocal and the type of players that will galvanise the team. I have really felt we lacked that and now we seem to have it all over the park.

Tony Khan takes a crazy amount of stick on here. Well, I'm only one voice but I think he has absolutley nailed it in this window

Today was a long way short of being classed as good and we are going to have far better teams than rovers come and push high and at the moment this causes us problems but I cant wait for a team to take us on toe to toe. Looking at fixtures it could be forest. I cant belive that there is a team that could take us on and not get really hurt in the process.

a good day

Milo

I was thinking today we do need to get clearances right from the GK. Mawson across the back line looked shaky. So, we need to find a "solution" as Joka would say.

Our second outlet used to be the cross field goal kick to the full backs who would attempt to retain possession by heading the ball inside or controlling it.

What if Mitrovic dropped to the centre circle for every goal kick and Betts practiced hitting the centre circle? Mitro could chest it down to the midfield and we are away?

RaySmith

Quote from: 70sPimlico on August 11, 2019, 01:02:02 AM
V pleased we are sticking to our style. Few older chaps around me having kittens with it. I think if I have one gripe, its that having created space, we often took the easy option other than a slighty risky forward pass. Odoi played it a little too safe.

Some fans will need to relax and not get on the players backs. Their under instruction and clearly working on it during the week. Theyre not going to just "get rid of it" because its encouraged teams to pressure. That is the point.

Suprisingly, Alfie looks the least comfortable with it but Tim Ream is superb and I think will rub off on Mawson.

The biggest help was Arter. You cannot do succesfully if the midfield dont drop and not just want the ball but absolutely demand it. TC playing higher up is interesting as, well, I think we all like him high up but he also is superb at giving an out to the defence. We got better as the game went on and we will get much better as the season develops.

Occasionaly Blackburn went short and the difference was clear, they were so nervy and couldnt wait to "get rid of it".

I posted on here after the barnsley game and midweek that I really didnt think our major problem was defence. I thought the problem was our midfield, the tactics on pushing the full backs high all the time & front 3 not holding onto the ball.

I belive the player purchases we have made are superb and have addressed the real areas of weakness we had.
I listened closely to the Tony Khan interview on fulhamish and he talked about charachter of players bought.

Its clear we went for a type.  in Knockheart, Arter and both Reid's we have got exactly the players we needed but also players that want to dictate the game. They all seem to be very vocal and the type of players that will galvanise the team. I have really felt we lacked that and now we seem to have it all over the park.

Tony Khan takes a crazy amount of stick on here. Well, I'm only one voice but I think he has absolutley nailed it in this window

Today was a long way short of being classed as good and we are going to have far better teams than rovers come and push high and at the moment this causes us problems but I cant wait for a team to take us on toe to toe. Looking at fixtures it could be forest. I cant belive that there is a team that could take us on and not get really hurt in the process.

a good day

0001.jpeg

Statto

We were 2nd favourites for promotion going into this window and that's the benchmark against which I'll be judging TK. We're still 2nd favourites now the window has closed which suggests he met expectations in the window, ie not surprisingly good but not surprisingly bad, which seems about right to me on balance. The ultimate indicator will of course be oue final league position.

WhiteJC

did the wind contribute to us playing out from the back rather than long goal kicks up field?

70sPimlico

Quote from: whitejc on August 11, 2019, 09:29:05 AM
did the wind contribute to us playing out from the back rather than long goal kicks up field?
Pretty much done it for 3 years, bar ranieri.

V much did it at barnsley. Hope we continue

mrmicawbers

Quote from: 70sPimlico on August 11, 2019, 10:32:37 AM

I had assumed we were playing like that in first half with the wind in our faces.Didn't seem to do it so much in second half when the wind in our favour.

Twig

Quote from: 70sPimlico on August 11, 2019, 10:32:37 AM

Absolutely agree.  When you have some quality in the team as we do and aspire to playing your football through the opposition on the ground, it's a no brainer.  Some fans, mostly some from us older ones, need to learn some patience and enjoy what we are trying to do.

@jolslover

STH H3

Spirit of 2000

a good day

Fantastic post and I tend to concur with all sentiments.

GJB

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on August 11, 2019, 07:57:11 PM

a good day

Fantastic post and I tend to concur with all sentiments.

+1

AnOldBrownie

a good day

082.gif

Agreed.

The Rational Fan

I think Tony Khan took Big Sam advice on board that is improve one section of the field each window, but add real quality and fix one area, rather than buying minor upgrades everywhere.

Using this Big Sam logic, we shouldn't buy just a RCB instead wait for a window and completely fix the backline (ie a minimum of a RB, RCB, backup RCB, backup LB and maybe retire/replace some CBs).

toshes mate

Quote from: Milo on August 11, 2019, 01:48:00 AM
I was thinking today we do need to get clearances right from the GK. Mawson across the back line looked shaky. So, we need to find a "solution" as Joka would say.

Our second outlet used to be the cross field goal kick to the full backs who would attempt to retain possession by heading the ball inside or controlling it.

What if Mitrovic dropped to the centre circle for every goal kick and Betts practiced hitting the centre circle? Mitro could chest it down to the midfield and we are away?

I largely agree with this.  I think the rule change has caught everyone taking the obvious options and not thinking about the movement that can generate panic among opponents since there are now many more options for playing the ball out.  Hopefully the training ground will foster a little thoughtfulness and creativity on approach to these options since playing out from the back is only ever useful if you retain the ball for at least one attack.  If possession is squandered then surely it is better to concede the ball as far up the pitch as you can.   

Can't help but feel any positive attributions to TK's signings is as premature as they come.  They all look to be good players but it is a team game and they all have to work to make that team successful.  If your idea of success is mid-table comfort then that is fine, but I have heard it on the grapevine that promotion is the desired outcome this term, and, if so, we are a long way from being convincing suitors.  Huddersfield will be a much better test of where we are, but I'd like to wait until mid-September before hazarding a guess at where we may end up.

Andy S

I agree Toshes mate I think we have a lot of improvement in us the more the team plays together but mit to late. September will show what progress has been made