watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Marcus Bettinelli

Started by fulhamfever, August 16, 2019, 09:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elgreenio

How on Earth is Betts getting the blame for not saving a free header deep inside our box [emoji16].

Betts is fine, especially in this league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Lighthouse

Look at the Fulham winner. Would we be blaming the defence and the keeper for allowing the great finish? Poor old keepers and defenders are always blamed.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

grandad

Moan, moan, moan. Have some of you nothing else to do. I´m celebrating another win & well done every member who stepped up tonight.
Where there's a will there's a wife

copthornemike

Betts was not in my opinion at any fault for Ahearne-Grant's well taken header - almost pulled of a top class save in fact as the ball looped off the post.
Ahearne-Grant looks a good striker - thankfully he had no other service tonight.
CBs could have been better positioned but was an excellent early cross and Grant did well to get his header on target

Fulham1959

Quote from: junior white on August 16, 2019, 10:38:08 PM
Looking at the replay he only got a touch after the ball hit the post, even then not sure it was his hand. I felt he should of diced to the post not into the goal, yes he would have hit the post but that's part of keeping

No goalkeeper deliberately dives 'into the goal'.  Their first aim, in a split second, is to just reach the ball.  Betts was a split second late, probably because of the speed and placement of the header, but he reached it and clawed it outwards.  Another couple of centimetres and it would have been, as someone has said, a 'worldie' save - which many of us probably thought it was at first glance.

bigalffc

Betts will do for me thank you
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

junior white

Quote from: Fulham1959 on August 16, 2019, 10:52:50 PM
Quote from: junior white on August 16, 2019, 10:38:08 PM
Looking at the replay he only got a touch after the ball hit the post, even then not sure it was his hand. I felt he should of diced to the post not into the goal, yes he would have hit the post but that's part of keeping

No goalkeeper deliberately dives 'into the goal'.  Their first aim, in a split second, is to just reach the ball.  Betts was a split second late, probably because of the speed and placement of the header, but he reached it and clawed it outwards.  Another couple of centimetres and it would have been, as someone has said, a 'worldie' save - which many of us probably thought it was at first glance.
You don't have to tell me, my dad Played in Goal at a decent level, was just observing that he dived backwards and not towards the goal post.

He actually never (it so it seemed from the replay I've seen here in Spain) got a full hand on the ball after it hit the post, if he had dived at the post he probably would have saved it.

For me Betts is a good keeper at this level, certainly worthy of a top 6 side, don't want it to sound like I am balling him out s I am not, just saying what it seems from the replay

Jurassic Parker

I'm not the biggest fan of Bettinelli, and yes perhaps he could have done better with the save if he didn't dive backwards; though I personally am of the opinion that he wouldn't have even got a hand if he didn't dive how he did. However that is opinion, purely that.

We can argue about that forever.

But one thing is fact. Bettinelli did great tonight in withstanding a very high press from Huddersfield. He was excellent in finding men in space. He didn't let the pressure of an opponent running to him from 5 foot way get to him. He distributed well. He made great choices in when to go short and when to go long.

Many complain that we go short too often and that we need to utilize Mitrovic more. The Sky Sports analyst showed the average positions before the game and showed that Knoockaert typically played further than Mitro who drops back to receive. We saw that plenty and it gave us a different mode of attack.

Often Mitro came to the center circle and knocked it over to a winger, it worked great against their high press and Knocky had two one on ones. Which to be fair, their keeper did excellent on.

He didn't slip in playing it short. His defenders trusted him to do so, and they trusted to go back to him. He also distributed great and found the balance between short and long.

Let's not let that goal get to our heads. If Mitro scores that header then we'd all 'hurrah' and comment on how great he is to direct a header that the keeper can't even touch without diving backwards. That's what their forward did tonight.

Bettinelli isn't a world beater, but he did great.

ChesterTheTabby

Betts wasn't at fault at all for that goal! He almost pulled off an Cavalereio goal type save - a worldy. Their striker was delivered a perfect ball in and was completely unmarked. Marcus so very nearly had it out.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Texas White

Only a fraction away from a miracle save.

Mince n Tatties

I was a goalie,not professional but not bad.
Do some of you know the speed a ball comes at you at an angle even off someone's head.
Minicule of a second in a keepers movement can be the difference of saving or not.
He had no chance,he dived into the goal to get the rebound off of the post if it hit it imo.

RaySmith

Love Betts, thought he played well, a great improvement, and couldn't be blamed for their goal.

Great performance by  everyone who played last night - really battling, classy performance.

WokingFFC

Quote from: grandad on August 16, 2019, 10:46:43 PM
Moan, moan, moan. Have some of you nothing else to do. I´m celebrating another win & well done every member who stepped up tonight.

I could not agree more. Why to we always have to single out people, especially when they are not at fault?? I celebrated the win gained by the TEAM - 3 points away from home in August, that does not happen often irrespective of who the opposition is! Bett's was not at fault for the goal. His distribution is improving, defence look steady under his and guidance too and long may it continue - COYW

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 17, 2019, 06:42:47 AM
I was a goalie,not professional but not bad.
Do some of you know the speed a ball comes at you at an angle even off someone's head.
Minicule of a second in a keepers movement can be the difference of saving or not.
He had no chance,he dived into the goal to get the rebound off of the post if it hit it imo.

Agree 👍⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on August 17, 2019, 06:49:45 AM
Love Betts, thought he played well, a great improvement, and couldn't be blamed for their goal.

Great performance by  everyone who played last night - really battling, classy performance.

Agree 👍⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: bobby01 on August 16, 2019, 09:50:55 PM
Oh well, as Dennis wasn't playing I suppose this was predictable.
Like.
A new scapegoat for a very old disease.

Sgt Fulham

Betts was good enough in our promotion season and is good enough now. It's also nice to have a keeper that is one of our own rather than a recycled old timer like Kiraly. Seems a character and well liked by his teammates.

Statto

Quote from: copthornemike on August 16, 2019, 10:47:01 PM
Betts was not in my opinion at any fault for Ahearne-Grant's well taken header - almost pulled of a top class save in fact as the ball looped off the post.
Ahearne-Grant looks a good striker - thankfully he had no other service tonight.
CBs could have been better positioned but was an excellent early cross and Grant did well to get his header on target

+1

Statto

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on August 17, 2019, 08:20:45 AM
Betts was good enough in our promotion season and is good enough now. It's also nice to have a keeper that is one of our own rather than a recycled old timer like Kiraly. Seems a character and well liked by his teammates.

+1

JimOG

Jeez lads you're being ridiculously hard on him. It was a great attempt to get there. God knows what ye'll write when he drops a clanger as all keepers do!