News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When will our defenders learn how to mark players in our penalty area.

Started by The Swan, August 26, 2019, 09:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Although the goal scored after just three minutes was a good goal but I am sure we could have cut out the pass into our penalty box.

The player who put the pass through simply bypassed our defenders who were ball watching instead of marking Gabban.

He was completely unmarked when he received the ball.

Who is our defensive coach, he cant see the mistakes made by our defenders time and time again.
The Swan

RaySmith

They must know, as pro's, what they should do, but somehow it doesn't always happen in the heat of the game.

The very best players are the ones who make the least mistakes.

Organisation, and  playing as a unit with understanding of each other, and also protection by the midfield are all obviously important.
Also, the opposition - their players pace, and quality.

The Rational Fan

We played the same players three games in a week, and only in the third game they don't track back.

snarks

Actually for once let's not do the criticise the defence thing. Grabban actually makes a good run with good movement, he takes Ream towards the ball before pulling away to give himself a bit of space. The cross is perfect, curving away from the keeper and round the defence. Credit where it's due if we had scored it we would be talking about the cross and the finish, not poor defending.

toshes mate

We have been exposed and vulnerable early on in every game this season and could easily shipped more than the two we have.  Players should be wired up and ready from the moment they leave the dressing room.  Perhaps there is a reason why the slow starts are happening, which needs fixing - fast.

Milo

Felt Ream at fault for both.. and I'm a Ream fan these days..

Southcoastffc

Lolley was very impressive at the beginning of that move, holding off several players and played a great pass out to the player on the left (whose name I forget).  He then played a SUPERB cross which Grabban converted perfectly. Give Forest credit.  Yes, Ream could/should have been tighter on Grabban but the move and goal deserve praise. That's sport.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fernhurst

Never wish to assassinate individuals but for a considerable amount of time our defence has been slow in mind and action. Until we produce a fix, aspirations of Premiership promotion and survival need to be cooled.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Chutney

We've needed to sign a couple of defenders for the last two transfer windows, no point now blaming the coaching, we have what we have until Jan.
C O Y W

RaySmith

Our players warm up extensively so should be up to pace at the  start of a game.

You have to credit the opposition as well as criticising our own players, but I'm sure Parker and the coaching team will be taking note on how to stop being caught o the back foot in the game's opening minutes.

Matt10

By the same logic, we should always hit the target. So the same question should be asked "When will our players learn how to hit the target"? Yet, we hit the target 7 times on 11 chances vs Millwall, for 4 total goals.

Yes, we need to work on certain things. However, it's not about learning or lack of learning. Through 5 games, we have allowed 2 crosses into the box that led to goals. How many times have we defended the cross though? I'm curious what number that is so we can develop a more accurate ratio before making these statements.

Sting of the North

The first goal was not a mistake by any of our players. It was a good goal by Forest. We lost a couple challenges in midfield (the biggest cause for the goal in my opinion. Then we lost a man in the box. None of those were mistakes, but individual battles that our opponents won. That happens, and sometimes it leads to a goal. I am sure our defensive coach (makes it sound like it is a one man job, which it of course isn't) is aware that it is not good to lose your man when there is a cross, and I am similarly sure that the players are aware.

The second goal was an obvious mistake by Sess. It happens to all players, and probably more common to young inexperienced players. I don't share some people's assessment that it was a mistake to play Sess in three straight games as I didn't think he looked overwhelmed or jaded at all against Forest, and I believe this mistake could as well have happened against Huddersfield or Millwall.

No panic at all from my end, think we will at the very least end up in the playoffs since we are already looking like quite the team. If it really comes together we will probably fight for the title. Should be a fun ride, as opposed to last year.

toshes mate

Quote from: RaySmith on August 27, 2019, 09:53:53 AM
Our players warm up extensively so should be up to pace at the  start of a game.

You have to credit the opposition as well as criticising our own players, but I'm sure Parker and the coaching team will be taking note on how to stop being caught o the back foot in the game's opening minutes.
The physical warm ups are essential to avoiding injuries but I do feel it's that mental thing at the start of games and after conceding that shape team responses in the right direction.   

Don't want to open the thread out and annoy certain others but I do think most goals are created out of one or more passes that catch an opponent (sometimes other than nominal defenders) 'off' duty for their covering responsibilities.   

MikeW

"When will our players learn how to mark players in our penalty area?"

Purchasing two new central defenders would be a start.  So many been saying it for so long.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Fernhurst

Purchasing two new central defenders would be a start.  So many been saying it for so long.
[/quote]

Van Dyke and  who though??
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Skatzoffc

We do need to get Hector in in Jan.
Both as cover for injuries and as competition for our CBs
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !