watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettinelli should never start again

Started by Ordar, August 30, 2019, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

The Bettinelli bias on this forum is so hilarious. He's a terrible terrible keeper. Constantly costs us goals.

But he's from the academy, so he's incredible.

When did he produce an above average performance..... NEVER

bobbo

His distribution night was good. But his time wasting and his behaviour letting the opposition get within an inch before he plays it out is almost suicidal. The goal was a difficult stretch but he did get a hand on it - I think
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Fulham1959

Quote from: Ordar on August 30, 2019, 10:28:31 PM
The Bettinelli bias on this forum is so hilarious. He's a terrible terrible keeper. Constantly costs us goals.

Where were you, then, when we won promotion ?

Plodder

Ordar is right in one respect. The bias on this forum is incredible - but it is an anti-Bettinelli bias without objective foundation. I suspect it to be a sort of iconoclastic, contrarian approach because of Bettinelli's popularity as a one club man.  On almost any subject, there is a spectrum of opinion, and people are entitled to express the view that they think Bettinelli is not good enough (I disagree). What flummoxes me are some of the reasons given. How anyone could call his distribution tonight "shocking" is beyond me, except that I can only assume they had an agenda from the start.  His distribution was of a consistently high quality throughout the match.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Fulham1959 on August 30, 2019, 10:41:50 PM

Watching an average keeper have to do not much because the defending was superb.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Plodder on August 30, 2019, 11:10:36 PM
Ordar is right in one respect. The bias on this forum is incredible - but it is an anti-Bettinelli bias without objective foundation. I suspect it to be a sort of iconoclastic, contrarian approach because of Bettinelli's popularity as a one club man.  On almost any subject, there is a spectrum of opinion, and people are entitled to express the view that they think Bettinelli is not good enough (I disagree). What flummoxes me are some of the reasons given. How anyone could call his distribution tonight "shocking" is beyond me, except that I can only assume they had an agenda from the start.  His distribution was of a consistently high quality throughout the match.

Without objective foundation? He's awful with crosses, something everyone was more than quick to slate Rico for last year, and if you think he couldn't do better with the goal tonight then I'm not really sure what to say. His distribution was good in the first half but every time he went long in the second, it was nowhere near a Fulham player

KingofCheese

Quote from: Statto on August 30, 2019, 10:09:19 PM
Quote from: river phoenix on August 30, 2019, 09:46:25 PM
A decent goalie but his distrubution is shocking.

Was thinking the opposite actually. Several worldy long passes from him tonight, and not a single unforced stray one to my recollection. However he should have saved the goal, and got done at his near post last week. It's his shot-stopping that's letting him down IMO.

Agree, Rodak deserves a go after tonight

Totally agree with you re distribution- some really good pin point passes. I thought he look good mostly.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Plodder

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 30, 2019, 11:20:08 PM
Quote from: Plodder on August 30, 2019, 11:10:36 PM

Without objective foundation? He's awful with crosses, something everyone was more than quick to slate Rico for last year, and if you think he couldn't do better with the goal tonight then I'm not really sure what to say. His distribution was good in the first half but every time he went long in the second, it was nowhere near a Fulham player

On a good day, a top class keeper might have saved that shot despite the bobble, I agree - maybe twice out of ten?  It would have been an excellent top quality save. I don't classify that as a serious goalkeeping "mistake", but I can accept that as a matter of opinion. I didn't see him do anything wrong with any crosses tonight. I thought that with eleven players players on the pitch, his distribution was high class. Once we had ten players on the pitch and only Mitrovic upfield surrounded by two or three defenders, with our midfield hanging back, kicking it straight down the field would just have given Cardiff live possession in midfield on about the halfway line. Kicking into space on the flanks was the only option, often forcing Cardiff to regain possession or take a throw deep in their half where we could press them more effectively.  I don't see what else he could have done in the circumstances other than kicking it long.

I acknowledge this may not describe you - you are expressing a view with some judgement to back it up - but in most seasons after a few games, some people on this board want an early head to roll. Last season Fabri was almost instantly in the dock. A few years back, Baird was the villain for a long time, and many years before him, Gary Barnett, and there are  plenty of other examples. It is Bettinelli's turn this year. The player in question becomes a scapegoat. If we want to point fingers of blame, Cavaleiro, Sessegnon and others bear responsibility for the Cardiff goal, but few are calling for them to be dropped (nor do I think  they should be).  If we had van der Sar in his prime available, then he would be preferred to Bettinelli in goal, but I have not seen any reason to suggest that Rodak, for all his merits, would be a better choice.

bigalffc

Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

The Rational Fan

Betts is a decent championship keeper, but we have the two best backup keepers in the league Rodak and Fabri. We don't need to buy a new keeper, we just need to work our who is our number one. Betts is not playing his best.

Tabby

Would like Rodak given a shot at some point. Sounds like he did well in the cup and he has a fair amount of championship experience.

the nutflush

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on August 30, 2019, 11:13:15 PM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on August 30, 2019, 10:41:50 PM

Watching an average keeper have to do not much because the defending was superb.

That's ridiculous. His last half of that season was incredible.

We would have been 2-0 down at half time if not for his save just after the first goal. Sess as much at fault for the first. Let the goal scorer get inside of him too easily.

Moltobueno

never been a big fan of Bettinelli but seeing topics like "xxx should never play again" are just ridiculous  063.gif

despite the goal, i thought he had rather good game. Plays well with his feet and communicates with defenders. Also I admire his passion, seems a good teamplayer.

The time wasting is a bit too much but he seems to control it not to be sent off.

I didn't see Rodak play and I'm sure he will get his chance, but not just yet. Keeping the same back line will build confidence, and it already shows (comparing last season).

So.. go Bettinelli  049:gif

Hatch007

That's an absurd post. You don't go 23 games unbeaten in the Championship with a "terrible, terrible keeper"! Completely OTT

Slaphead in Qatar

Shouldn't have let in second goal v forest nor Cardiff goal. Problem is we don't have anyone better

Moltobueno

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on August 31, 2019, 06:19:41 AM
Shouldn't have let in second goal v forest nor Cardiff goal. Problem is we don't have anyone better

forest second goal came from defenders mistake and the shot was so accurate it hit the post and went in (not sure grabban wanted to put it there tho) - no way you can put any blame on Bettinelli there...

Mince n Tatties

As an ex keeper,I always defend them.
Tonight he should have got a strong hand on their goal.His positioning at times was poor,the header from Morrison at the end nearly caught him out.
Rodak has performed well in the Championship for a poor Rotherham side,maybe he should be given a go.

Twig

Quote from: Fulham1959 on August 30, 2019, 10:21:56 PM
I'm sick of this continuing vendetta against Bettinelli.

The first goal would have beaten many a goalkeeper because of the bobble and I didn't see that much wrong with his distribution.  Under this style of play he has far, far more passing to do than 'in the old days'.

:plus one:

The OP banged on about this all evening on the match thread.  Betts is rarely found wanting as a shot stopper and the distribution argument is hard to press after last night when he barely put a foot wrong. Why some on here have such an obsession about him is beyond me.

I know we have been fortunate to enjoy some great keepers over the years and that Marcus may not be in that category but some of the comments on here are arrant nonsense.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Twig on August 31, 2019, 07:17:43 AM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on August 30, 2019, 10:21:56 PM
I'm sick of this continuing vendetta against Bettinelli.

The first goal would have beaten many a goalkeeper because of the bobble and I didn't see that much wrong with his distribution.  Under this style of play he has far, far more passing to do than 'in the old days'.

:plus one:

The OP banged on about this all evening on the match thread.  Betts is rarely found wanting as a shot stopper and the distribution argument is hard to press after last night when he barely put a foot wrong. Why some on here have such an obsession about him is beyond me.

I know we have been fortunate to enjoy some great keepers over the years and that Marcus may not be in that category but some of the comments on here are arrant nonsense.

He has stopped 5 shots in 6 games. Hardly a shot stopper.

His distribution last night was 55%, because he was tasked with distributing the ball further than Ream and Mawson.