watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January window

Started by jayffc, September 09, 2019, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

I know its a way off but what do the early indicators suggest to you that we need in January.

Now weve secured Hector (very pleased with that)
For me itd be looking into swapping out christie for a different RB to push Steven on (like ryan and malone in his breakthrough season) and LB cover for Bryan.

Other than that we should, on paper, be ok, providing we steer clear of too many injuries.

jayffc

Should add the only reason I dont say a GK is because Id like to see Rodak given a chance in the league first before making that call

Sting of the North

Don't think we need anything unless we have some serious injuries before then. Don't need more cover in my opinion, and would only like to see players that should actually be a clear upgrade on the current ones (in preparation for a PL return, if that appears to be a decent possibility still).

filham

This team has hardly got itself together, let us see how they look in a couple of months time when strengths and weaknesses may begin to develop.
Who knows come December Sess and Christie may have scored a few goals and be playing so well that it is difficult to choose between them and premier league clubs could be queuing up for their signatures.

Fernhurst

If we are in the top 6 or better when the next window opens and are flirting with the Premier League again.

Not a decision taken lightly,but, we require a huge upgrade in the keeper postion.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

The Rational Fan

We are yet to see if fringe players like Rodak, S.Sess, MLM, Christie, KMac, Reed, Onamah, Reid, Kebano and Kamara can still deliver consistently for Fulham in this league. If any fringe player is not up to standard, then replacing them will help the team. If everyone is great, investing all remaining cash in one premier league player would be awesome.

KeenCottager

What's the score with loans in the next window?

How many are we allowed in from UK or abroad?

1 or 2 shrewd loan signings (like Target or Mitro) could make all the difference (with options to buy, please)

jayffc

Surprised no one is concerned about the lack of options at LB. If bryant is out for any reason its MLM out there who offers no threat going forward and hasnt been much better at defending either.

That said Steven Sess hasnt performed terribly at LWB for England U-21s so perhaps he could move over there bringing Odoi on to the right if needs be.

Statto

Quote from: jayffc on September 11, 2019, 01:05:38 AM

That said Steven Sess hasnt performed terribly at LWB for England U-21s so perhaps he could move over there bringing Odoi on to the right if needs be.

Yep, or just play Odoi LB

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 09, 2019, 11:24:49 PM
If we are in the top 6 or better when the next window opens and are flirting with the Premier League again.

Not a decision taken lightly,but, we require a huge upgrade in the keeper postion.

Frankly, i think a keeper upgrade can be saved until summer window, wouldn't be shocked if Rico or Fabri comes back. Rico is fighting for a place on bench this season and Fabri looks like first choice in a Liga A team playing against Messi in a few weeks.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on September 11, 2019, 01:15:39 AM

Why are people trying to crowbar odoi into the team?
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

The perceptible weaknesses in the team have already shown themselves, and, as always in football, you hope that the resins that bind things together become stronger as familiarity breeds stronger on pitch behaviours and relationships.  It is relatively early in the cycle of team building and bonding and there are plenty of untried options and combinations that may become more obvious as wear and tear and injuries and suspensions influence selections.  Although our first team starting profile appears more obvious this season than for a few seasons before I still don't feel the balance of that nominal side is right and I am not sure it is something that can wait until January to fix. 

I think Parker is going to start really earning his money over the next several weeks because it isn't a straight road ahead. People should expect a bit more pain before we see the really solid gain.  I think shoehorns are less destructive tools than crowbars.   

Sting of the North

Quote from: MJG on September 11, 2019, 06:54:10 AM

How is playing Odoi in one of his best positions, one with which he is very familiar, to "crowbar" him in? Him or Sess, with the other one on the right, is our best combination if Bryan is out, in my opinion.

Woolly Mammoth

Left back cover is essential, and in the absence of any current LB cover, like a player from the academy ready to fill that spot, we need to purchase a player who is an orthodox LB.
Odoi appears to be a utility player, but imo not quite good enough to secure a permanent position whilst we have other players fit to play in their current positions. Odoi is fine in an emergency and will always give his all, so on the bench as a squad player is ok by me.
Signing Hector certainly makes sense, we have been crying out for a player like him for a while.
As for Odoi, I don't like to see round pegs in square holes. At full back he tends to give too many free kicks and fouls away when defending, his passing is wayward, and his positional sense also comes into question. So Odoi despite all his other qualities worries me.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 11, 2019, 11:32:47 AM

How is playing Odoi in one of his best positions, one with which he is very familiar, to "crowbar" him in? Him or Sess, with the other one on the right, is our best combination if Bryan is out, in my opinion.

Exactly.

Odoi has played left back 106 times in his career. More than in any other position.

He's a left back.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on September 11, 2019, 11:55:47 AM

Exactly.

Odoi has played left back 106 times in his career. More than in any other position.

He's a left back.
Bryan is first choice. as cover Odoi would be fine but beyond that no.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Quote from: MJG on September 11, 2019, 12:47:27 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 11, 2019, 11:55:47 AM

Exactly.

He's a left back.
Bryan is first choice. as cover Odoi would be fine but beyond that no.

Yes agree with you 100% on that, IMO Bryan has been brilliant since the Barnsley goal, but the full post i was replying to was talking about cover and said "Surprised no one is concerned about the lack of options at LB. If bryant is out for any reason its MLM out there..."

AnOldBrownie

Because I'd rather he play backup LB than MLM.   And he's just as good as Cyrus Christie (if not better) at RB.

We really don't need another FB.    I'm pretty sure (since he is still on the squad) that Marlon Fossey is expected to come into play at some point at fullback as well.

If it were me, I wouldn't bring in anyone at the transfer deadline unless someone picks up a serious injury.   

Even if Mawson were to go down for an extended period of time...Ream, Hector, Odoi and MLM would be enough in those spots.

Jims Dentist

The window is a few months away and much can happen in that time.
Although, I would like to see us get a young hungry back up to Mitro.
Not necessarily him but someone like Lyle Taylor.
Mitro could get injured or suspended at any time.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes there are over three months to go, and a lot of water will flow under the bridge before then. Anything can happen before then. But it is clear to me that we will need reinforcements by January, especially if injuries take their toll.
We have a comparatively small squad for a club with aspirations to get back in the Premier League, it lacks depth in certain positions, and we may not be quite so fortunate as we were with injuries compared to the last time we achieved promotion. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.