https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 18/09/19...

Started by WhiteJC, September 18, 2019, 07:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham loanee Jerome Opoku ready to play anywhere for Accrington

Accrington Stanley's Jerome Opoku

ACCRINGTON Stanley's Jerome Opoku says his team mates are going to Wycombe Wanderers with a positive mindset in the hope that they can come back to East Lancashire with the three points.

Opoku insists he will play wherever his manager John Coleman needs him to in order to help the team.

The Fulham loanee is a centre half by trade, but made his Reds debut at left-back in the 3-1 defeat to Sunderland on Saturday.

"It's going to be a tough one but I think the lads and the manager, we all know what we've got to do now and he's told us for a while, so we're just going to get the three points and go there with a positive mindset, forget about this and just try and get the win," said Coleman.

Opoku made his Reds debut as he played 90 minutes in the loss at the Wham Stadium.

He impressed at left-back and will look to make the place his own throughout the season to maximise his playing time.

"On a personal note, I was delighted to get the start and get 90 minutes under my belt so it was good, but as a team we expect to do better, so now it's about focusing on the next game on Tuesday and getting the win," he said.

"I'll play wherever the manager really wants me to play, and I've played left-back a couple of times, obviously my main position is at centre-back but I'll do a job there also, so that doesn't phase me at all."

Stanley's defending was criticised in Saturday's defeat and Opoku thinks his side need to be better together at the back.

"We didn't group together and defend properly, so now I think we're just looking at how to tighten up the back four and as a collective to just defend properly and deal with them little mistakes that we're making."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17907223.fulham-loanee-jerome-opoku-ready-play-anywhere-accrington/

WhiteJC

Fulham prospect issues message after EFL debut

Fulham's Jerome Opoku has told the Lancashire Telegraph how delighted he was to get a start for Accrington Stanley this weekend, even if they did come out on the wrong side of the result.

John Coleman's side were beaten 3-1 at home by Sunderland, the second time they've lost to the Black Cats at the Crown Ground this season. They took a fifth-minute lead, but goals by Aiden McGeady, Marc McNulty and a belter from Lynden Gooch killed the game off before the interval.

Opoku was making his first start in the Football League, having made his debut from the bench against Bristol Rovers.

"I was delighted to get the start and get 90 minutes under my belt so it was good, but as a team we expect to do better, so now it's about focusing on the next game on Tuesday and getting the win," he said.

He also confirmed that he can play anywhere across the defence, giving Coleman some options. His side have shipped six goals in their last two matches and have not kept a clean sheet all season.

"I'll play wherever the manager really wants me to play, and I've played left-back a couple of times, obviously my main position is at centre-back but I'll do a job there also, so that doesn't phase me at all."

Opoku has previously turned out for the Cottagers in the EFL Trophy, as well as captaining their Under 23 side in the Premier League 2.

Our View

Stanley are struggling, fourth from bottom and only kept out of the relegation zone by virtue of the division having 23 teams, not 24.

They're shipping goals and don't have the financial means by which to compete at this level.

Loans are going to be vital and Okopu will be learning fast this season. Under 23 football can not prepare a player for the stress and strain of a League One relegation battle.

https://therealefl.co.uk/2019/09/17/fulham-prospect-issues-message-after-efl-debut/

WhiteJC

Fulham player impressing on loan – Option to buy could be seen as a 'bargain' if form continues

Of the numerous disappointing signings that Fulham made last summer, André-Frank Zambo Anguissa ranked highly.

The Cottagers paid Marseille a princely £22m for the midfielder, hopeful he would add the type of power and strength that's required in a Premier League midfield.

Like their season, though, Anguissa failed to get going, neither scoring or assisting in 25 appearances as Fulham returned to the Championship.

They moved Anguissa on this summer, shipping him out to Villarreal on loan and bringing his short stint in London to an end. And it seems that loan move is working out well for all involved.

El Periódico Mediterráneo report Anguissa is impressing everyone at Villarreal, having made a positive start to life with the La Liga side.

He's featured as a box-to-box midfielder in three of their four games so far and the change in position (the club initially signed him as defensive cover) has given the midfielder a new lease of life.

So much so that the newspaper reports if he maintains his 'positive' performances, Villarreal will be keen to activate the purchase option they included in the deal with Fulham.

That's set at €25m, although it isn't compulsory, and Villarreal could see that as a 'bargain' given the form he's showing.

It's suggested the Spanish side would pay that and then even look at selling him on for a profit.

That would suit Fulham, who would presumably be more than happy to get their money back on a midfielder who didn't come close to making the grade at Craven Cottage.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-player-impressing-loan-option-buy-seen-bargain-form-continues/

WhiteJC

Club's plans for on loan Fulham man revealed

Villareal would be open to making midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa's loan move from Fulham permanent if he maintains his impressive start to the season, Spanish outlet El Periodico Mediterraneo have reported.

Anguissa left Fulham on a season-long loan during the summer transfer window, just one year after joining from French side Marseille for a reported £25million.

But after failing to impress as the Cottagers were relegated after just a single season in the Premier League, Anguissa has now made the temporary move to Spain, were he has helped Villareal to tenth place in the early La Liga standings, after reinventing himself as a box-to-box midfielder with his temporary new club, having originally been signed as defensive cover.

It is now thought that Anguissa's performances have been that impressive for Villareal, that the club are open to paying the apparent €25million option to buy clause on the midfielder's loan deal, although there is said to be no obligation to make the deal permanent.

There are even suggestions that the Spanish side would then look to sell Anguissa on for a profit further down the line.

During his time at Fulham, Anguissa made 25 appearances in all competitions for the London based club, failing to score or assist a single goal for the club.

Having signed a five-year contract at Fulham, there will still be three-seasons remaining on Anguissia's deal at Craven Cottage when his initial loan with Villareal expires at the end of this season.

The Verdict

I think this would arguably suit everyone involved.

For Villareal, it would give them the chance to benefit long-term from a player who has already clearly had an impact at the club, both on the pitch and off it.

Given Fulham don't particularly seem to be missing Anguissa, I also think they would be happy to make this permanent, since it would give them an opportunity to make their money back on an investment that simply hasn't worked out for them.

This would also surely be better for Anguissa as well, as it would give him the chance to completely put that nightmare spell at Fulham behind him, before going on to rebuild his career elsewhere.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/clubs-plans-for-on-loan-fulham-man-revealed/

WhiteJC

Southampton's Harrison Reed impresses at start of Fulham loan

Harrison Reed continues to make an excellent start to his latest loan spell - by winning another man-of-the -match award.

Fulham began the season with three defeats from their first five games, including the 1-0 defeat at home to Saints in the Carabao Cup.

But Reed has been outstanding for the Cottagers.

After coming off the bench in wins against Blackburn Rovers, where he spent last season on loan, and Huddersfield, the Saints midfielder has played the full 90 minutes in 1-1 draws away to Cardiff City and at home to West Brom.

He was particularly impressive against West Brom on Saturday.

The official Fulham FC website said: "Shielding the back four so that his fellow midfielders Tom Cairney and Bobby Decordova-Reid could operate further forward, Reed did an excellent job of picking up scraps and starting moves for his side.

"His four tackles won was matched only by Joe Bryan, while he also won possession nine times, made two interceptions, went on two successful dribbles and played two key passes.

"One of these was a sublime through ball to Cairney who was denied the opener when Sam Johnstone tipped his shot onto the crossbar.

"Reed also enjoyed his best pass success rate of the season, finding a teammate 95 per cent of the time, making him the most accurate passer in the side alongside Tim Ream.

"Sky Sports also awarded Reed Man of the Match, with 57 per cent of Fulham fans agreeing with that decision."

Fulham is 24 year-old Reed's third loan club, following impressive, lengthy spells at Norwich in 2017/18 and Blackburn last term.

He joined Fulham on a season-long loan last month.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17908965.southampton-39-s-harrison-reed-impresses-start-fulham-loan/?ref=rss