No chance of top 2

Started by JoelH5, September 21, 2019, 04:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2019, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 21, 2019, 05:13:47 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2019, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 21, 2019, 05:04:36 PM
Knee jerk brigade out in full force I see. All teams have bad games, this was our first bad game in a while and we were still better than the opponents who are supposed to be a decent team. Gutting result, disappointing performance, but a point away to Wednesday is no shame and no reason to call for heads.

See, I generally like and agree with most of your posts but if you can't see critically, that we simply aren't doing good enough, simply look at the table. We're 12th, 5 points from automatic and tactically, we look bloody dreadful.

I agree that we didn't pay well today, which happens sometimes. Last week we were really good, and the tactic was very clearly working. It is amazing to me that any regular football viewer cannot see that. We have only looked bad in two games this season, and somewhere between good and very good for most of the rest. Results wise it is disappointing, but I will start to worry if we are not there or thereabout closer to Christmas.

Results are all that matter in this industry. I get its disappointing when we play well (subjective really but i'll grant you it), but to be sitting 12th from our fixtures is really embarrassing. Getting points away from teams liek Cardiff and SW is good, if you're strong at home and convincingly beat bottom 12 away, but sadly, we don't have that luxury. On the tactics point, defending a one goal lead going into the last 20 minutes and inviting pressure isn't smart and is beneath this team.

Yes, ultimately results are what matters. But, and I don't know why this has to be repeated, we are 8 games into the season. I know our owners have been trigger happy before, but hopefully they have learned something. I will at least not give up hope that people can evolve to a better version of themselves.

On the tactics point, defending a one goal lead is deemed good when it works, and bad when it doesn't. We will of course never know what would have happened otherwise. But that is not our full tactic. Since you described our tactic as dreadful, I would assume that would have to cover the 90 minutes, yes?

Worcesterwhite

Chris Houghton would do wonders with this squad!

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 21, 2019, 05:32:35 PM
Why are we trying to defend a lead, why can we not defend a lead. Why are we always second best when it comes to heading in defensive areas. These are the issues that should have been addressed before the season commenced. Same old failings short defenders and sit back and invite trouble. It's another two points we will not add to our total.
Nevertheless, I see no reason to change the manager, it's more the system of play.
Last time we won was 6 games ago. Scoring 4 in 4 matches, and dropping 9 points in 4 games, that's 3 out of 12.
We have to get back to winning as many as possible in a row. No need to panic or even knee jerk.
But the manager and the players have to address this before it gets out of hand.

They scored off a deflected header from Mawson. Is Mawson short? 

Sting of the North

Quote from: WindyCity on September 21, 2019, 05:20:49 PM
Knee jerk brigade out in full force I see. All teams have bad games, this was our first bad game in a while and we were still better than the opponents who are supposed to be a decent team. Gutting result, disappointing performance, but a point away to Wednesday is no shame and no reason to call for heads.

C'mon Sting, really?

""All teams have bad games""

Sure, but how many points has FFC dropped that were easily within grasp?  Quick, someone give me a calculator.......

""this was our first bad game in a while and we were still better than the opponents who are supposed to be a decent team.''

Maybe we need to define what a 'bad game' is?  When you have leads and lose them?  When you outplay possession wise and have a disappointing result?   If FFC was, as you post, "still better" than the opponent, where are the three points? 

Sorry, but this is getting very frustrating indeed.  I think it's reasonable for one to say FFC could be top 2 right now if not for all the points pissed away.  Sadly, "buts" and "what ifs" won't count in the table.

Yes, really. It's a simple concept. You however seem to be confusing how we play with our results and should maybe try to decide what it is you are discussing. We played bad today, got a disappointing but what would beforehand be a tolerable result. Last week we played very well, but got an equally disappointing result. As to where the three points are, the answer is of course that there is not three points in a draw, but I guess it may have been a rhetorical (albiet completely unnecessary) question.

Also, no one as far as I can see has stated that "what ifs" and "buts" count in the table, so not sure what you are arguing against there.

Fulham1959

Too right.  Get's on my nerves - 'snowflake' fans.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 21, 2019, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2019, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 21, 2019, 05:13:47 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2019, 05:09:07 PM

See, I generally like and agree with most of your posts but if you can't see critically, that we simply aren't doing good enough, simply look at the table. We're 12th, 5 points from automatic and tactically, we look bloody dreadful.

I agree that we didn't pay well today, which happens sometimes. Last week we were really good, and the tactic was very clearly working. It is amazing to me that any regular football viewer cannot see that. We have only looked bad in two games this season, and somewhere between good and very good for most of the rest. Results wise it is disappointing, but I will start to worry if we are not there or thereabout closer to Christmas.

Results are all that matter in this industry. I get its disappointing when we play well (subjective really but i'll grant you it), but to be sitting 12th from our fixtures is really embarrassing. Getting points away from teams liek Cardiff and SW is good, if you're strong at home and convincingly beat bottom 12 away, but sadly, we don't have that luxury. On the tactics point, defending a one goal lead going into the last 20 minutes and inviting pressure isn't smart and is beneath this team.

Yes, ultimately results are what matters. But, and I don't know why this has to be repeated, we are 8 games into the season. I know our owners have been trigger happy before, but hopefully they have learned something. I will at least not give up hope that people can evolve to a better version of themselves.

On the tactics point, defending a one goal lead is deemed good when it works, and bad when it doesn't. We will of course never know what would have happened otherwise. But that is not our full tactic. Since you described our tactic as dreadful, I would assume that would have to cover the 90 minutes, yes?

Yep, it's still September. Some people are just really impatient and incompetent.

Robbie

The bottom line is by Xmas we need to be in 6-7-8 and within 6 points of 2-3.

SP

Still early days but the next few games should help.  I see QPR are one point off the top!

colinwhite

hughton ? yeh right ,just like Ranieri saved us from relegation

grandad

We won´t be playing many more anti football thug sides this season. SW were a disgrace as were the blind officials. We have played 2 of the teams relegated with us, WBA & SW & not lost to them. 3 of the games were away.

Look at the next 5 games. All very winnable.

SP will promote us. Be positive, give SP & the squad your full support. If some of you have already given up I suggest you support Man City or the like.
Where there's a will there's a wife

FFC1987

Quote from: colinwhite on September 21, 2019, 05:52:22 PM

Personally, I'd have Hughton in a heart beat to be honest. Nothing against Scotty, but Hughton is just a proven manager.

MikeW

Quote from: grandad on September 21, 2019, 05:57:33 PM
We won´t be playing many more anti football thug sides this season. SW were a disgrace as were the blind officials. We have played 2 of the teams relegated with us, WBA & SW & not lost to them. 3 of the games were away.

Look at the next 5 games. All very winnable.

SP will promote us. Be positive, give SP & the squad your full support. If some of you have already given up I suggest you support Man City or the like.

Yeh, but we won't win them playing 'possession with no outcome' football.  Get real.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2019, 05:58:21 PM

Personally, I'd have Hughton in a heart beat to be honest. Nothing against Scotty, but Hughton is just a proven manager.

Rather go down that watch Houghtons  boring tactics,even at home.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 21, 2019, 05:38:57 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 21, 2019, 05:32:35 PM
Why are we trying to defend a lead, why can we not defend a lead. Why are we always second best when it comes to heading in defensive areas. These are the issues that should have been addressed before the season commenced. Same old failings short defenders and sit back and invite trouble. It's another two points we will not add to our total.
Nevertheless, I see no reason to change the manager, it's more the system of play.
Last time we won was 6 games ago. Scoring 4 in 4 matches, and dropping 9 points in 4 games, that's 3 out of 12.
We have to get back to winning as many as possible in a row. No need to panic or even knee jerk.
But the manager and the players have to address this before it gets out of hand.

They scored off a deflected header from Mawson. Is Mawson short? 

Why are you covering up for our shortcomings, open your eyes, compared to other teams in the main we are poor and mediocre in the air, don't bury your head in the sand because it won't go away. We will continue to leak goals whist we cannot defend a lead, because to defend a lead against tall opponents, you have to have tall players ourselves, we are not physically strong enough to grind out a 1 0 win when we find it hard to keep a clean sheet. So because we invite teams on by playing and defending deep, we have to score more than one goal a game, and we cannot do that either. We are better off winning one and losing one, than drawing 2.
Some will say our next five games are winnable on paper, but forget that, it's a case of winning the next game and not look any further. We are not playing well enough yet, and we will always find it difficult  to defend against bigger teams than us, and that won't change whilst we have not got big enough players who can actually jump and head a ball.
cannot
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

I agree the knee jerk is totally unfounded. But we do need to find a way to score a few. the two wingers are on the 'wrong side' because they like to cut in but that does mean Mitro does not get th service quickly enough. we have the players but we are not quite clicking. scott needs to fix this soon or we will be playing catch up all season.

Lighthouse

:Haynes The Maestro:

I don't get these gloom and doom fans every week. I really can't. I get the frustration today and annoyance at the last minute goal yet again. But these wild accusations and saying we have no chance of top six while we are this early in the season. Is frankly getting silly.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

davew

Quote from: fulhamben on September 21, 2019, 05:02:45 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on September 21, 2019, 05:00:17 PM
I reckon he has 2 months. If we're not top 6 by then then a change required
I'd be amazed if he were given that long. Everyone at the club knows this will be our best chance in years to go up. Why gamble that with persisting with parker
Yes Ben let´s try somebody else, any suggestions?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

SP

Just seen the goals, how many errors were there for the equaliser, awful defending.

davew

Maybe you are right, perhaps we should wait until we have played some of the better teams in the league, that will put things into perspective, our first bad game in a while, not sure about that? Results and points are what count and by my record we have managed 3 points in our last 4 games, not far off relegation form. Parker should not be sacked (yet), maybe give him another 6 games and let´s see where we are then. He has a squad which must be considered 1 of the best in the league and yet we are mid table, something obviously not right or have we just been unlucky (lol)?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 21, 2019, 06:06:23 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on September 21, 2019, 05:58:21 PM

Rather go down that watch Houghtons  boring tactics,even at home.
and you think our tactics are exciting at the moment? Personally think we are sooo boring home and away
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.