Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on October 01, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 01, 2019, 07:44:50 PM
Quote from: Statto on October 01, 2019, 05:51:37 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 01, 2019, 05:15:11 PM
Quote from: Statto on October 01, 2019, 03:23:46 PM
Quote from: Jim© on October 01, 2019, 02:49:34 PM
I'd be interested to hear what calibre of player you think would happily come and bench warm for us in the championship who is better than either MLM or Odoi? Honestly, I don't think there'll be many.

Well, they don't have to come in as a bench warmer. They have to come in to compete with Mawson and Ream, with a good chance of making one of those two (probably Ream) the "bench warmer". That being the case...

Hector
Carter-Vickers
Kalas
Jansson
Flint
Scott McKenna

Disagree that Kalas is better than Odoi. About the same level. He's just changed clubs anyway, so it's a moot point.
Jansson also just moved.

Kalas vs Odoi is a matter of opinion, so you're entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to challenge it.

But the point about Kalas and Jansson having just changed clubs is irrelevant. This is a thread about TK's failure to sign defensive cover last summer. When the transfer window opened, they hadn't just changed clubs.

Actually all of those players changed clubs in the summer, except McKenna. 

It's far from ideal we didn't sign a defender but that aside the business was good in my opinion. Sounds like Chelsea wouldn't loan Hector to us and we couldn't buy him until we sold Sess. So it's tricky.

Yes broadly agree with that

According to transfermarkt, there are around 9 centre backs in the championship not playing for Fulham better than MLM. I would have thought our backup right winger Kamara/Kebano/Onamah is more concerning and you need quality attackers if you play teams "parking a double bus". Frankly, Kamara is useful sub as he is good at creating space, but no where near clinical enough as a starter.

Statto

Our first choice wingers are interchangeable, right to left, with Bobby Reid as backup. Would take two of them to be unavailable for Kamara to get a start.

Dr Quinzel

After the re-emergence of MLM (and I know he didn't play central), I'm glad we have Hector ready to play in January. Fingers crossed Mawsom and Ream stay fit over the next few months.

Jim©

I'd be interested to hear what calibre of player you think would happily come and bench warm for us in the championship who is better than either MLM or Odoi? Honestly, I don't think there'll be many.

Well, they don't have to come in as a bench warmer. They have to come in to compete with Mawson and Ream, with a good chance of making one of those two (probably Ream) the "bench warmer". That being the case...

Hector
Carter-Vickers
Kalas
Jansson
Flint
Scott McKenna

It's all very subjective, but I'm not with you on Kalas, Carter-Vickers looks like he's been on a pie-eating course (for 6 months), Jansson and Flint don't have the passing skills to fit anywhere near our system and I've only seen McKenna once or twice.I still don't think any are better than either CB we have currently playing and on a par with Odoi- so the truth is that they would be bench warming (if i were manager).

Sting of the North

Quote from: Jim© on October 02, 2019, 09:29:31 AM

Hector
Carter-Vickers
Kalas
Jansson
Flint
Scott McKenna

It's all very subjective, but I'm not with you on Kalas, Carter-Vickers looks like he's been on a pie-eating course (for 6 months), Jansson and Flint don't have the passing skills to fit anywhere near our system and I've only seen McKenna once or twice.I still don't think any are better than either CB we have currently playing and on a par with Odoi- so the truth is that they would be bench warming (if i were manager).

I haven't really seen the other players (except for Kalas) that much, but I have seen Jansson a lot. I don't think he would have a problem with our system at all as he is comfortable on the ball. Don't think he would be a clear improvement, but a better option than MLM and Odoi most likely, and adds an aerial presence.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on October 02, 2019, 07:57:37 AM
Our first choice wingers are interchangeable, right to left, with Bobby Reid as backup. Would take two of them to be unavailable for Kamara to get a start.

So Bobby Reid is backup for four starters Cairney, Mitro, Cav and Knockaert; two injuries to the front four or one injury and Reid injuries then we are short upfront. If we start with Cav, Reid, Kamara and Knockaert, i would be more fearful than Rodak, Bryan, MLM, Odoi, Christie.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 02, 2019, 09:54:22 AM

So Bobby Reid is backup for four starters Cairney, Mitro, Cav and Knockaert; two injuries to the front four or one injury and Reid injuries then we are short upfront. If we start with Cav, Reid, Kamara and Knockaert, i would be fearful.

Still better than most teams in this division if we start with those, and better than the first half of our last promotion season. Also, you may have forgotten about Onomah, or that Johansen can easily play further upfield if needed. All teams will be worse if they lose a few starters to injuries/suspensions, but Fulham is not in a bad spot depth wise. A Championship team where a player like Kamara is at best the second attacking sub sounds like quite the team to me. For all his faults, he would start in many teams in this division.

With all that said, I am still a bit sad that they let Ayite go.

toshes mate

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 02, 2019, 09:54:22 AM

So Bobby Reid is backup for four starters Cairney, Mitro, Cav and Knockaert; two injuries to the front four or one injury and Reid injuries then we are short upfront. If we start with Cav, Reid, Kamara and Knockaert, i would be more fearful than Rodak, Bryan, MLM, Odoi, Christie.
Surely you always look to the midfield engine room to drive a team and, as we have seen in the past, when the midfield works well what is in front becomes less able to cope and what is behind has less chance of being breached.  We've already had a taste of Arter being absent without suffering unduly and I'd measure Reed as currently the better fit to the team.  Johansen's form has been another shot in the arm demonstrating his all round ability in this side.  Defensively we are a little weak wide left, MLM being no real best next fit for JB, but Odoi is still a pretty versatile player to have when necessary.  It's possible that S Sessegnon could play LB if required too.  Reid is beginning to show as a versatile Odoi equivalent for midfield or attack, and Knockaert shows versatility too.  What encourages me is that all the players who have participated this season look to offer improvements each time they play.

I am feeling more optimistic as each game passes but it is a tough season and so we can take nothing for granted.

Hopefully our training regime is well able to keep our regulars in prime condition although wear and tear necessitates rotation as and when opportunities arise.