watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The defensive side of the team

Started by 70sPimlico, September 29, 2019, 06:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

As one who found the 3 month pre-season posts on here really boring from a number of posters who just bombarded us with their knowledge on Tony Khan and our useless defence, its nice to point out that 1/5th through the season only two teams have conceded less than us and only one team has a better goal difference.

We are def tougher to breakdown than Slavisa's team and that is with Odoi on bench and Hector already unofficially here and ready to start on Jan 1st.

Based on what I am seeing, I think we will win the league. I dont say that lightly, I'm not one for knee-jerk posts and I dont come on here posting continual messages that say the same thing. I think we have the team that will improve more than any other in the league. By about game 20, we will be virtually unbeatable and will know how to play against the derivative of tactics being used against us.

Statto

We're the best-resourced team in the league and were second favourites to win the league from the start of the summer. Yes we won our last match but we're still 10th, some way below the other favourites Leeds (4th) and West Brom (1st). So we've clearly started poorly and if I wanted an ungracious gloat like the OP, I'd say that shows why we should have done our business sooner and given the squad a more useful pre-season, which was my main complaint in the summer.

As to the defence, having the joint third best defence in the league is no big achievement for the second best team in the league. In any case the issue was always the lack of cover - let's see what happens if one of our first choice CBs gets injured before January.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: 70sPimlico on September 29, 2019, 06:42:59 PM
As one who found the 3 month pre-season posts on here really boring from a number of posters who just bombarded us with their knowledge on Tony Khan and our useless defence, its nice to point out that 1/5th through the season only two teams have conceded less than us and only one team has a better goal difference.

We are def tougher to breakdown than Slavisa's team and that is with Odoi on bench and Hector already unofficially here and ready to start on Jan 1st.

Based on what I am seeing, I think we will win the league. I dont say that lightly, I'm not one for knee-jerk posts and I dont come on here posting continual messages that say the same thing. I think we have the team that will improve more than any other in the league. By about game 20, we will be virtually unbeatable and will know how to play against the derivative of tactics being used against us.
Good post, interesting points. Brave to say we'll win the league but well-reasoned and I hope your optimism is rewarded.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

YankeeJim

Our back four are indeed our Achilles heel. While they are better organized than before, they are still venerable. What is making them look better is that our possession is quite high. Just as in Slava 's team. If they don't have the ball, they can't usually score. Look how poor we are when they are on  the break. Hector can't get here quick enough.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ALG01

selective use of stats in not an intlligent way to asses anything.
we have won only once in the last six outings (inc cup). we have surrended a winning lead three times in that time, we are tenth.

in comparison with slav's sid we have a much better first 11 in terms of the 6 in front of the back four and it is clear oppoents are very wary of taking us on nd sit back.#

our back four os rather better than any of us anticipated but we have a decent holding central midfielder in arter OR Reed that is the big difference.

I am totally confident if slav had this squad we wuld be top and cruising. parker is OK and I was and remain content with his appointment but he is learning as he goes along.

I thought we would not be doing so well but knock and cav and reid d arter all were brought in and that transfrmed the situation. TK remains a problem but at least parker seems to be able to manae him better than slav did. I have no confidence they will do the necessary in the wnter break to assure top two. they probably think the squad is good enough and it isn't because we need a better right back and a back/partner for mitro.

this tpe of post is tiresome when we have had such a good win and seem to be turning the proverbial corner.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: YankeeJim on September 29, 2019, 11:11:26 PM
Our back four are indeed our Achilles heel. While they are better organized than before, they are still venerable. What is making them look better is that our possession is quite high. Just as in Slava 's team. If they don't have the ball, they can't usually score. Look how poor we are when they are on  the break. Hector can't get here quick enough.

Ream and Mawson are first and second in the league for possessions stats. While Ream may not be good at his defensive duties, he is not only brilliant at possession but also making sure we don't loses the ball in our half. Ream is good in the championship, but we need Hector so that any premier league promotion, won't lead to a new partnership and instant relegation.

The Rational Fan

For anyone saying Slavisa would do better than Parker at this stage, let me remind you that in his first fourteen league games of the four seasons he never got more than four wins (or could have got more in the last season). Slavisa was terrible at starting seasons, Parker is on track to give us the best start in years.

filham

Parker has changed our tactics a little. Cavy and Knock playing forward and wide with full backs rarely overlapping , a safer approach to games.

Problem is that while less goals have been conceded we are now struggling to score.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: ALG01 on September 29, 2019, 11:47:19 PM

]selective use of stats in not an intlligent way to asses anything.
we have won only once in the last six outings (inc cup). we have surrended a winning lead three times in that time, we are tenth.

in comparison with slav's sid we have a much better first 11 in terms of the 6 in front of the back four and it is clear oppoents are very wary of taking us on nd sit back.#

our back four os rather better than any of us anticipated but we have a decent holding central midfielder in arter OR Reed that is the big difference.

I am totally confident if slav had this squad we wuld be top and cruising. parker is OK and I was and remain content with his appointment but he is learning as he goes along.

I thought we would not be doing so well but knock and cav and reid d arter all were brought in and that transfrmed the situation. TK remains a problem but at least parker seems to be able to manae him better than slav did. I have no confidence they will do the necessary in the wnter break to assure top two. they probably think the squad is good enough and it isn't because we need a better right back and a back/partner for mitro.

this tpe of post is tiresome when we have had such a good win and seem to be turning the proverbial corner.
Is this meant to be funny? (Serious question!)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jim©

I agree that your post is slightly tiresome. Whilst the draws you mention in such a defeatist tone are correct, the manner of them point perhaps to better results ahead. West Brom in particular couldn't get close to the ball for 65 minutes, we made them look very second rate and we could have been out of sight. Lots of ifs and buts and we know what transpired. However put in the context that they are doing exceptionally well against other teams we're yet to play, this bodes well.

I'm very much in the optimistic camp and don't think we need to "do the necessary" in the winter break to "assure" top two. We have enough quality all over the pitch to put a sustained challenge in for the automatics.

toshes mate

I am always game for a healthily optimistic OP and I also share the optimism although I am not sure any team can be confident of being top and staying there at any stage of the season until it is mathematically certain.  I do not agree with those who say 'we will not improve' or get so downhearted by lost points which actually even happen to the very best sides.  We have been beaten twice and, arguably, we could have turned both games on their heads with a little more flare.  Our defence isn't the best money could buy but it has worked reasonably well most of the time whilst being fragile under intense pressure which is a rectifiable fault (e.g. do not cave into pressure but remain as composed as you have been for the majority of the game).  The OP is right to say we will improve because we can all see what needs to improve. 

This season isn't like last season where Jokanovic was faced with an almost impossible task of fitting a bunch of misfits together and was fired at the first glimpse that he may actually have turned a corner (similar in some respects to Magath who also produced a better performance in his last game).  This season performances show that the majority of positions in the first team are well covered and that our blips are down to a combination of failing to stay resolute when under fire, a nervousness and lack of composure that'll only be overcome by the players themselves following coaching instruction.  Parker is doing pretty well compared to how I thought he would do this season, about halfway between where I expected him to be if he was superb and where I felt we would be if he was not the required article.  He is still a young coach/manager and he will make mistakes but they will not matter as long as he learns from them.     

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jim© on September 30, 2019, 11:48:29 AM

I agree that your post is slightly tiresome. Whilst the draws you mention in such a defeatist tone are correct, the manner of them point perhaps to better results ahead. West Brom in particular couldn't get close to the ball for 65 minutes, we made them look very second rate and we could have been out of sight. Lots of ifs and buts and we know what transpired. However put in the context that they are doing exceptionally well against other teams we're yet to play, this bodes well.

I'm very much in the optimistic camp and don't think we need to "do the necessary" in the winter break to "assure" top two. We have enough quality all over the pitch to put a sustained challenge in for the automatics.

We all would like to be optimistic, but it is also important to be realistic. Not sure we are the finished article yet, and I am also a little concerned that we have sufficient quality and cover all over the pitch if we sustain injuries to any player let alone key players.
Perhaps we may get lucky and avoid any serious long or short term injuries, or suspensions or maybe even loss of form. But as these issues tend to come in clusters if they do arise, it's best to be wise before the event rather than after. So I would not avoid planning to add to the team/ squad if necessary.
The manager and club of course will have a better idea nearer the time.
As it's often said because it is so true, one game at a time. You never know what's round the next corner.
Adverse matters tend to arise just when you think everything is sweet as a nut. Then all of a sudden wallop, somebody gets injured, and they are out for a month or two. That's where foresight and vision are so important, always prepare for every eventuality.
If we take any match for granted, like for instance Barnsley, then prepare for failure. Every game is a different challenge. Teams will fight like tigers, no matter where they are in the Division, we have to learn to do the same, that's why I feel that Scott Parker will get this team doing exactly that, he knows he has to.
Looking at the Fixtures and saying, we can get 3 points there 1 point here and none over there is not realistic, it's just guessing. All I am concerned is about the next match and walking away from Reading with all 3 points. Then I shall turn my attention to Charlton.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Roberty

We could keep more clean sheets but the real problem is that we've not been scoring enough goals and given the investment during the summer that is really disappointing.

Like many I hope that sooner rather than later - everything will click

As to lack of cover in defence - at the moment we don't need any
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 30, 2019, 01:26:22 PM
I am also a little concerned that we have sufficient quality and cover all over the pitch if we sustain injuries to any player let alone key players.

I think we have excellent cover down the centre of the field with Rodak (1), MLM (4/5), Arter (6/8) and BC.Reid (9/10), which will be even stronger once Hector can be registrated 2nd Jan. As for the right side of the field we have Odoi (2) and Kamara (7).

What concerns me is the cover on the left side of the field left-back (3) and left-wing (11), especially as without Bryan we would lack attacking width. What concerns other people about our backup cover?

res

Quote from: YankeeJim on September 29, 2019, 11:11:26 PM

More vulnerable than venerable, but know what you mean...fewer goals conceded as we have so much possession, but always suspect to a quick counter attack. Shows, though , the truth about the need to defend as a team, not just as a back four.

ALG01

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 30, 2019, 11:01:02 AM

]selective use of stats in not an intlligent way to asses anything.

Is this meant to be funny? (Serious question!)

No not being funny.  I think the tone of the OP is wrong. I am delighted withthe progress but the stat that counts is we still have 10 points. I am one that predicteddoom during summer but am happy to be proved wrong, so far, and my natural enthusisam is now having to be held in check. I do now think we are looing like contenders and just need some fine tunning.

We won so no need for, what seemed to me,  a post being a bit finger pointing at fellow fans.

filham

Just thought, only 3 goals conceded in last four games.
Our defenders and keeper must be feeling pretty pleased with themselves but should be aware that a few nasty slip ups tomorrow night could easily upset that record.

Bassey the warrior

Very optimistic post, but it's better than pessimistic. I don't think we're going to win the league but we will almost certainly make the play offs.

At the moment the problem is scoring goals and one factor might be the full backs don't get forward, but that also makes us harder to break down defensively. It's a double edged sword and we need to find a happy medium.

70sPimlico

Quote from: ALG01 on September 30, 2019, 04:02:21 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 30, 2019, 11:01:02 AM

No not being funny.  I think the tone of the OP is wrong. I am delighted withthe progress but the stat that counts is we still have 10 points. I am one that predicteddoom during summer but am happy to be proved wrong, so far, and my natural enthusisam is now having to be held in check. I do now think we are looing like contenders and just need some fine tunning.

We won so no need for, what seemed to me,  a post being a bit finger pointing at fellow fans.

Mate, like many others, I came on here during the close season to see pretty much every thread taken over by the same people saying the same two things over and over.

Tony Khan was an imbecile (usually worse) and we had a defence that was going to be ripped apart every game. We are talking 100's if not 1000's of posts. The summer transfer thread was basically over 100 pages saying just this.

Pre season I made one post saying I thought we had a really good defence with our POS from a year before, a player I really rate in Mawson, ditto Bryan, who I happened then and still do think is the best left back in the league. I agreed our weak spot was right back but I am really happy with Sess. To be 9 games in and have a really good defensive record, Odoi as cover and Hector joining in Jan, I think it would be a right old curmudgeon to not be satisfied.

So, after 1000's of posts over the close season, I think I should be allowed my one post to just point out that I possibly may have been correct in my thinking.

It will be the only one

Statto

Quote from: 70sPimlico on September 30, 2019, 09:12:37 PM
So, after 1000's of posts over the close season, I think I should be allowed my one post to just point out that I possibly may have been correct in my thinking.

It will be the only one

Well this is already your second post on the subject so your clearly milking it.

And it's a bit of a ridiculous point anyway - "I reckon we're gonna win the league so that proves I was right about how great TK is..."  :doh:

If we suffer a significant injury to Mawson or Ream before 31 December AND we're still in the top 2 (or at least, have one of the top 2 best defensive records) on that date, THEN, and only then, can anyone say TK's failure to sign more defensive cover wasn't a mistake.