Pre season prediction re think

Started by ALG01, October 02, 2019, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 03, 2019, 08:52:40 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 03, 2019, 08:37:31 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on October 02, 2019, 11:36:11 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 02, 2019, 11:27:40 PM
A few of our players especially in central midfield have a problem with getting yellow cards and likely to get two yellows. My tip to Parker is some of these players are best subsituted once they get a yellow.

How likely would you say that our midfielders are to get sent off? I mean, is it just a gut feeling, or based on anything in particular?

I cannot see much difference between many of our midfielders for example Reed vs Arter, so why not substitute players when they get a yellow.

But your statement was that they are likely to get two yellows, and I therefore ask you what that likeliness is based on (kind of tried to connect it to another thread on here in which you claimed something similar).

As an example,  since you are seemingly trying to avoid the question: According to Transfermarkt (which I believe is generally accurate and seems to be up to date) Stefan Johansen has played 348 professional club games since his debut 12 years ago. He has never received two yellow cards in one game (he has received one red card, in the Norwegian league back in 2013). He has also not been sent off in any of his 50 games for the Norwegian national team. That is almost 400 games without receiving two yellow cards in any of them.

As for your question, I would say that generally substitutions should be made to benefit the team the most in a given situation although some thought is of course given to the long term as well. I cannot see why an arbitrary rule such as substituting a midfielder who gets a yellow would benefit the team. What if it is in the first minute? What if that player is having a very good game? If the player is looking like another card waiting to happen then by all means sub him, but that is an entirely different thing and based on an assessment of the actual situation (not arbitrary).

Yes, I agree Stefan Johansen rarely get two yellows at least based on his previous record and statistics; but I think that against Cardiff we should have remove Arter after the first yellow card as Stefjo would have been a good sub anyway (although Parker barely anytime to do so).

Jim©

He's what we need in the air. Keifer Moore (wigan) was about 5 inches taller than Mawson and he didn't win a thing. He's statistically by far our best winner of aerial balls and that includes Mitro.
If he can just sort out the one or two lapses we've seen as he gets sharper, he'll be very good.

toshes mate

I certainly wouldn't argue that Mawson has been a success, and what is to come is what is to come.  We are not there yet but he is improving.  Considering his alleged price-tag and the trumpeted calls that he'd be fit by August (met by SJ's response 'which year?'), he has been okay but nothing remotely spectacular or head turning.  Certainly he has improved alongside Ream but then most defenders will benefit from the American's composed manner.  I give Mawson room to get better because he had a serious knee injury. We should all remember exactly how long it has taken TC to recover his mojo from knee troubles, being unsettled by a 'less than capable for the job' manager (CR) following the shocking sacking of SJ by the Khans, and being ill used in the PL.  Mawson's 'comeback' has been a very costly matter for FFC and not especially good value.  That isn't his fault directly and, again, I give him latitude but it was poor decision making by the Club.

I was very surprised that, at the very start of his tenure as DoF, TK didn't hunt for a really tall and solid defender given that the whole squad was on the low average side of height.  That we will have to wait until January for some defensive height is further testimony to the poor tactics and strategy of our recruitment team.  The recruiters may be getting marginally better but it's taken far too long from a very lowly start place, IMO.