watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pre season prediction re think

Started by ALG01, October 02, 2019, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Well before a ball was kicked I was predicting doom and gloom and suggested bottom six/eight most likely.

Despite the good attacking options it seemed to me the defence was a disaster. However sess and odoi are doing a good job at RB and Bryan has been much better and improving from what I expected. Mawsom is apparently fit although I am not overly impressed (he is OK but not what I expected) and we have a new man lined up. ream is imense.

So all in all pretty good. still some fine tuning here and there but I think we can all see Parker is trying to fix things as he goes along.

Biggest negative is that i am not sure our disciplin is quite as good as it should be and SP must deal with that because we  musn't react to provocative opponents.

Second problem is I have a digital character. Now I believe my doom will not come to pass I now think we are contenders, I hope I can keep a lid on my new found opptimism. I suggested to MJG he could remind me of my negative words, so if he reads this I consider myself reminded and am extremely happy to say I seem to have been over miserable in the close season after beiong relegated. Hope the new found belief does not blow up in my face on Saturday!

Andy S

There were a few on here that suggested we would be winning high scoring games by the odd goal which although not a bad thing makes the nerves jangle. The season is still young but I would suggest that our position is in the table reflects a adequate start to the season. Let's hope we can move onwards and upwards from here

filham

Yes it is just great being able to look forward to the six pointer on Saturday with optimism but be careful things are so tight and we could easily slip down the table again.
A defeat on Saturday and those negative thoughts will be creeping back into our minds.
Fully agree that Ream is doing a great job.

The Rational Fan

A few of our players especially in central midfield have a problem with getting yellow cards and likely to get two yellows. My tip to Parker is some of these players are best subsituted once they get a yellow.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 02, 2019, 11:27:40 PM
A few of our players especially in central midfield have a problem with getting yellow cards and likely to get two yellows. My tip to Parker is some of these players are best subsituted once they get a yellow.

How likely would you say that our midfielders are to get sent off? I mean, is it just a gut feeling, or based on anything in particular?

Litrecola_

The late goals are the problem. Whether we take the foot off the gas or sit back to far. SP needs to make better subs late in the game as 75 minute on and it is tense as hell.

The Rock

I didn't want to say it at the time, but I thought we should be top 2. I did say, our defence needs help, and it does, still. Good start, not great start. We have a great team,  of good one. Time will tell.

RoyTund

Felt most of the doom and gloom was overplayed. No way were we ever going to be bottom 6!

And this isn't a dig at him but I don't get the ream is immense stuff. There is a reason the other teams allow him the time on the ball; always goes sideways or back. Feel the organising and constant leadership by mawson at the back, which is helping ream, is being missed by many.

I Ronic

I'm impressed with Scott. He seems to have chosen a good backroom team. Worked with TK to get the players he wanted and is sticking to possession football. He's calm in interviews and backs his players at every opportunity.
Every game we play this season is going to be a test for some reason or another in this league.
At the moment I'm more interested in the team really embracing this style of football and making it their own. League positions can wait till after Christmas.

JoelH5

Please stop calling him Mawsom. It's Mawson
I was there, standing in the Putney end

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 02, 2019, 11:36:11 PM

How likely would you say that our midfielders are to get sent off? I mean, is it just a gut feeling, or based on anything in particular?

I cannot see much difference between many of our midfielders for example Reed vs Arter, so why not substitute players when they get a yellow.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 03, 2019, 08:37:31 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on October 02, 2019, 11:36:11 PM

I cannot see much difference between many of our midfielders for example Reed vs Arter, so why not substitute players when they get a yellow.

But your statement was that they are likely to get two yellows, and I therefore ask you what that likeliness is based on (kind of tried to connect it to another thread on here in which you claimed something similar).

As an example,  since you are seemingly trying to avoid the question: According to Transfermarkt (which I believe is generally accurate and seems to be up to date) Stefan Johansen has played 348 professional club games since his debut 12 years ago. He has never received two yellow cards in one game (he has received one red card, in the Norwegian league back in 2013). He has also not been sent off in any of his 50 games for the Norwegian national team. That is almost 400 games without receiving two yellow cards in any of them.

As for your question, I would say that generally substitutions should be made to benefit the team the most in a given situation although some thought is of course given to the long term as well. I cannot see why an arbitrary rule such as substituting a midfielder who gets a yellow would benefit the team. What if it is in the first minute? What if that player is having a very good game? If the player is looking like another card waiting to happen then by all means sub him, but that is an entirely different thing and based on an assessment of the actual situation (not arbitrary).

toshes mate

@ALG01

I have shared in much of the caution you demonstrated preseason, and it is far too early, IMO, to start ordering the bunting and white garments for a celebration for next spring.  However, the good points to emerge from all of this gloom and doom have been a revisionist approach to player recruitment which, although still far from perfect, has headed in a better direction, and the appearance of a more stable and settled coaching regime who appear not to be operating in a less than ideal environment.   Had both those factors been in place last season then relegation may not have been an issue.   Of course it can all go pear shaped but, if it does, I hope those who influence change do so with reasoned intelligence because otherwise this pleasingly optimistic time could rapidly turn the other way.

Keep being true to your feelings when stating opinion - better that than being a part of a propaganda regime who wouldn't know truth and goodness if it bit them.

ALG01

Quote from: toshes mate on October 03, 2019, 09:03:03 AM
@ALG01

I have shared in much of the caution you demonstrated preseason, and it is far too early, IMO, to start ordering the bunting and white garments for a celebration for next spring.  However, the good points to emerge from all of this gloom and doom have been a revisionist approach to player recruitment which, although still far from perfect, has headed in a better direction, and the appearance of a more stable and settled coaching regime who appear not to be operating in a less than ideal environment.   Had both those factors been in place last season then relegation may not have been an issue.   Of course it can all go pear shaped but, if it does, I hope those who influence change do so with reasoned intelligence because otherwise this pleasingly optimistic time could rapidly turn the other way.

Keep being true to your feelings when stating opinion - better that than being a part of a propaganda regime who wouldn't know truth and goodness if it bit them.

The Wigan game made me re-think. That was a top class performance against a poor but very awkward team that came to spoil. We kept at it, played like a team with a purpose and didn't get frustrated when it wasn't quite happenming. Then following up with an away win was just what the doctor ordered. there will be bumps along the way but we are not really anywhere near at our best so I am hopeful, like good wine, we will be improving.

Regarding recruitment, I have not really changed my opinion because we desparately needed quality defenders and so are really lucky how well things are going. But I do agree the midfield and forward players are certainly of the right class and type. However, if Mitro is injured we may be rather devoid of sensible back up.

Regarding ream, he is one of our key players. he is one that will take the ball forward when the space opens and is the leader of the defence, not mawson, he is the one imposing himself and his ability in possesion is very good indeed.

JEEVES

Mawson has been good man, cut him some slack. He's finally getting consistent minutes under his belt and he's getting better with each game. Plus we have no actual RCB's and he's the only proper CB in the last few years who's managed to play there without being terrible. Hector will be a welcome addition but if he was available right now I wouldn't drop Mawson.

Also, might be an unpopular opinion but although Tim Ream seems to be quality at this level I think a lot would agree that we'd either be looking to upgrade if we got promoted or that a partnership of Mawson (LCB) and Hector (RCB) is more likely to be able to establish themselves as a solid premiership CB partnership. No matter how well Tim plays in this League I just can't imagine a 31 year old Tim Ream being able to deal with premier league attackers.

ALG01

Quote from: JEEVES on October 03, 2019, 09:49:17 PM
Mawson has been good man, cut him some slack. He's finally getting consistent minutes under his belt and he's getting better with each game. Plus we have no actual RCB's and he's the only proper CB in the last few years who's managed to play there without being terrible. Hector will be a welcome addition but if he was available right now I wouldn't drop Mawson.

Also, might be an unpopular opinion but although Tim Ream seems to be quality at this level I think a lot would agree that we'd either be looking to upgrade if we got promoted or that a partnership of Mawson (LCB) and Hector (RCB) is more likely to be able to establish themselves as a solid premiership CB partnership. No matter how well Tim plays in this League I just can't imagine a 31 year old Tim Ream being able to deal with premier league attackers.

Mawsom came injured and has only just got a sequence of games. However, unlike coleman, not that disimilar, he is ok but hardly inspiring.

JEEVES

Quote from: ALG01 on October 03, 2019, 10:11:08 PM

Mawsom came injured and has only just got a sequence of games. However, unlike coleman, not that disimilar, he is ok but hardly inspiring.

Haha did you spell it Mawsom again just to wind up JoelH5? I still think ability wise he's one of the best CB's in this league. He was knocking on the door of England at one point. Had it not been for all his injury set backs who knows how he would have progressed. Saying that, under the circumstances I think he is exactly where he should be and I think he will only push on and get better from here on out. I don't think there's any need to be negative about him and I don't think he deserves slating after his recent performances.

Woolly Mammoth

Alfie Mawson will be a pillar in our defence, he will be the cornerstone in the back Division, we are very fortunate to have him in our ranks, he is quality and the best is yet to come.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

Quote from: JEEVES on October 03, 2019, 10:35:14 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on October 03, 2019, 10:11:08 PM

I hope so and the spelling is a mix of dyslexia which is a continuing issue and poor typing.
Haha did you spell it Mawsom again just to wind up JoelH5? I still think ability wise he's one of the best CB's in this league. He was knocking on the door of England at one point. Had it not been for all his injury set backs who knows how he would have progressed. Saying that, under the circumstances I think he is exactly where he should be and I think he will only push on and get better from here on out. I don't think there's any need to be negative about him and I don't think he deserves slating after his recent performances.

ALG01

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 03, 2019, 11:08:45 PM
Alfie Mawson will be a pillar in our defence, he will be the cornerstone in the back Division, we are very fortunate to have him in our ranks, he is quality and the best is yet to come.

well we usually agree and i have not said he is poor but I have said I expected more. His passing is a big issue, when he attempts anything over a few yards we tend to lose possesion and that is not having a go it is what I ghave witnessed, as we all have, in the last few games. I hope he does pick up but I suspect parker can see what i see.