watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scott Parker´s Fulham

Started by colinwhite, October 05, 2019, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

Scott Parker has clearly learned a lot from Slavisa Jokanovic and to some degree it would appear that his team has a  similar playing style to the Serb who will forever be a legend at the club,after that twenty-three game unbeaten run and club record. Both coaches set their teams up to keep possession of the football, to play with freedom and attack with a large number of players, when pinning back the opponent in their defensive third.
There are however a number of fundamental differences between our current side and that of our promotion side from 2 seasons ago.
The big problem for Jokanovic was that the football that had been so successful in the championship and the players that applied it were not quite good enough for the premier league, where mistakes are ruthlessly costly and weaknesses easily exploited. The whites couldnt outpass or play the teams in the top half of the table and werent quite skillful enough to exploit high possession stats against the teams sitting back and hitting us on the break. Those teams seldom gave anything away for free, and only seemed to need one mistake from us to put them in an unassailable lead.
A fundamental weakness in the Jokanovic approach (in the PL at least) was that we were always liable to get caught with our full backs pushing on sometimes two at a time , with the back post a major defensive weakness  ,particularly on the counter. One defensive midfield shieild was never going to be enough against the top sides and players like Tom Cairney were suddenly a luxury  that could not be defensively afforded when playing in a central position.

It seems to me that our recruitment team in working alongside SP have tried to address some of these tactial problems. The main tactical  difference  for me is the use of our wide players.Our full backs no longer steam forward 2 at a time. Indeed they are now first and foremost defenders whose job with ball is to get it forward to our wide forwards who now both stand in very wide positions to recieve the ball. The aim is  to create gaps and spaces in the opponents shape by moving the ball from side to side in midfield  and defense ( similar to the Slavisa´s team ) ,with the emphasis now on creating one on one situations for Knockheart and Cavalero in order to exploit their skill and guile in wide positions ,whilst at the same time still having cover behind them should we loose the ball. from the FB on that side of the pitch. This in turn means that we now no longer have an out and out sitter in our midfield three but a greater flexbillity to get these players forward also if need be.
In recent games this greater flexibillity has led to a slight change in role for Mitrovic. He is now no longer just a target player with the job of holding the ball up to enable us to get our full-backs forward and midfielders forwards, but also a player who combines with others and lays the ball off much more quickly in his link -up play.
I dont buy into the argument of entitlement that we have the `best squad `in the championship and therefore should win every game. To play the sort of football that we play takes time and work to develop. Movement off the ball and the art of the third -man run are vital ingredients in our attacking strategy and the slick ,classy movement of our team in its best moments are clearly there to be seen .Parker is a coach learning on the job and seems to be firmly setting his stamp on our new and exciting team. The team is not quite there yet ,and is very much a work in progress, but I believe we will get better and better. How will our head -coach  cope under the pressure of the big games and high-stakes ? Time will tell, but instilling a work-ethic and winning mentality into  the squad seems to be his primary aim, and that as well as the possession football with real` intent `that he advocates could springboard us into a season to be remembered for a long time to come.

Samjack

Very interesting read mate. Nice one. Good post.

Spirit of 2000

Well written and thought out piece. I hope you're right and right now think there's validity therein.  I had issues with our too slow possession game but have seen greater tempo, transition and variety of late.

grandad

Excellent analysis. SP has a lot to thank Slavisa for but at the same time he is gradually imprinting his own philosophy.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ScalleysDad

Quote from: grandad on October 05, 2019, 10:31:07 PM
Excellent analysis. SP has a lot to thank Slavisa for but at the same time he is gradually imprinting his own philosophy.

Hmmmmm. I am not sure about that. Parker signed up in July 2018 just in time for the mess that was the end of JOka and the comedy of errors that was Ranieri. I think SP was his own man then and is his own man now.

AnOldBrownie

Matt10

Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 05, 2019, 10:45:02 PM

Hmmmmm. I am not sure about that. Parker signed up in July 2018 just in time for the mess that was the end of JOka and the comedy of errors that was Ranieri. I think SP was his own man then and is his own man now.

I agree here. If anything, there are more similarities to Guardiola's style than there is Slavisa's. Pep sets up his full backs to tuck in, allowing the midifelders, except the DM, to push all the way into the box. Parker follows the same set up where we basically have two DMs (Reed or Arter) when our right FB (S.Sess) tucks in that much. Which is why you see S.Sess central more than overlapping. This is similar to how Pep allows Kyle Walker to be a key component in the center of the pitch.

In Slavisa's system it was about rotating/pivoting our two CMs in Cairney and Johansen, while McDonald dropped back. Or in the dark days, Seri and Cairney, while Anguissa dropped back. Our overlapping fullbacks were a higher priority, which is why speed and endurance were critical with Fosu-Mensah and Christie on the right, and Joe Bryan on the left.

Similar again to Pep, Parker's system isn't built on pivoting our midifelders in possession, but rather out of possession. It's based on prioritizing their assignment in high pressure, while the cover is filling the space the individual pressing has just vacated. Anytime we press high, usually via Johansen in our 4-2-3-1, watch how Cairney or Mitro will fill his spot.  When we set up with a two forward system, Johansen still maintains that pressure, while Reid, or whoever the second forward is, would drop back to fill that spot.

Slavisa's system was never built off high pressure at all. We absorbed a lot more attacks, but we had so much possession that it didn't matter. I still would have absolutely loved to see TC-StefJo-KMac do the business in the prem under Slav, just once so I could at least see it and be at peace.

MJG

Quote from: Matt10 on October 06, 2019, 04:08:02 AM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 05, 2019, 10:45:02 PM

I agree here. If anything, there are more similarities to Guardiola's style than there is Slavisa's. Pep sets up his full backs to tuck in, allowing the midifelders, except the DM, to push all the way into the box. Parker follows the same set up where we basically have two DMs (Reed or Arter) when our right FB (S.Sess) tucks in that much. Which is why you see S.Sess central more than overlapping. This is similar to how Pep allows Kyle Walker to be a key component in the center of the pitch.

In Slavisa's system it was about rotating/pivoting our two CMs in Cairney and Johansen, while McDonald dropped back. Or in the dark days, Seri and Cairney, while Anguissa dropped back. Our overlapping fullbacks were a higher priority, which is why speed and endurance were critical with Fosu-Mensah and Christie on the right, and Joe Bryan on the left.

Similar again to Pep, Parker's system isn't built on pivoting our midifelders in possession, but rather out of possession. It's based on prioritizing their assignment in high pressure, while the cover is filling the space the individual pressing has just vacated. Anytime we press high, usually via Johansen in our 4-2-3-1, watch how Cairney or Mitro will fill his spot.  When we set up with a two forward system, Johansen still maintains that pressure, while Reid, or whoever the second forward is, would drop back to fill that spot.

Slavisa's system was never built off high pressure at all. We absorbed a lot more attacks, but we had so much possession that it didn't matter. I still would have absolutely loved to see TC-StefJo-KMac do the business in the prem under Slav, just once so I could at least see it and be at peace.
Thanks Matt, I've been trying to explain to people that the requirement for. Fredericks or Malone rampaging full back is not needed because as you say he has gone down the Pep route and also with out and out wingers they are not going to be used the Slav way.
Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

Scott is firmly his own man but  I believe Slavisa`s philosophy has had an influence,particularly with regard to "bravery" in possession and playing out from the back .
As far as playing styles are concerned  they both advocate attacking possession football but there the similarites end .With our wide  offensive players higher we automatically have a higher press and with our full backs lower ,no longer have a need for an out and out defensive midfielder whos job was to slide over and cover marauding full-backs , as I stated in the Op.
Our sideways movement of the ball from deep positions now has a primary aim of isolating defenders in wide positions against our skillful forwards (wingers ).
Another consequence of this which I forgot to mention in the OP is TC s role . In many games hes has been deployed in the hole in a wider position on the left in order to be able to combine and play in behind defending full backs. This has enabled him to get into the positions to score the goals and even get behind defences on ocassions. He reverted slightly  to the more ball circulating CM in the second half yesterday at times,when we changed our system .

toshes mate

Like a lot of things in life the OP may appear to be a steady and logical appraisal of how FFC under SP is different to FFC under SJ.  But it isn't.  It tries to compare SJ in the PL with SP in the Championship.  It tries to compare the motley crews of Jokanovic (in both Championship and in the PL) with the judiciously selected assets Parker has.  Apples and Pears.  Tactically speaking. and in game management terms. the problems for Jokanovic were seriously more difficult than those for Parker given all else being equal.  Jokanovic was creating a team that could play possession; Parker has a team that can play possession but is still flustering when it is performing it, and some of that is because Jokanovic has the edge over Parker when it comes to getting players to partner each other, especially when it comes to habits (let's see how long it takes Arter to change his habits as an example). 

So far as squad strength is concerned it really doesn't matter apart from the concern a recruiter should have for getting their work as close to what the manager needs.  We are not even a quarter way through this season and wear and tear will have an impact.  That is when the concern will, out of necessity, be dropped points.  At this time SP should have been better than he has thus been if he were as good a manager as SJ.  He hasn't achieved that but I didn't expect him to.  He has a very, very long way to go before he becomes as astute as SJ.  I hope he betters our Serbian legend in time but as for Parking stamping his own mark on hos team at this time I would say 'you have to be joking'.  Parker doesn't even know what his own mark is yet. 

Marinelloguthrie

If you asked me start of season if i would have Joka back the answer would a big yes, however i have been very impressed by Parker.

He encourages very good football, talk well and seems to have complete respect of the players.

He is still learning but a proven by his half time changes yesterday he has a strong tactical awareness and flexibility.

colinwhite

Actually  Tosh I was making the point that what works in the championship needs to be carefully reconsidered for the premier league. I believe that Parker has taken this into account when trying to rebuild Fulham,this year along with the khans . I was in no way trying to belittle the achievements of Jocanovik ,I was one of his biggest fans.
The players that have been recruited have been part of a strategy by the club. Parker is learning the job as he goes along and has the benefit of the foundations layed by Slavisa. But he is stamping his own mark on the team ,which is a work in progress, if you cant see that then i cant explain it to you.

MJG

Quote from: colinwhite on October 06, 2019, 08:40:43 AM
Actually  Tosh I was making the point that what works in the championship needs to be carefully reconsidered for the premier league. I believe that Parker has taken this into account when trying to rebuild Fulham,this year along with the khans . I was in no way trying to belittle the achievements of Jocanovik ,I was one of his biggest fans.
The players that have been recruited have been part of a strategy by the club. Parker is learning the job as he goes along and has the benefit of the foundations layed by Slavisa. But he is stamping his own mark on the team ,which is a work in progress, if you cant see that then i cant explain it to you.
I agree. While it's similar possession based football there are tactical, style and attitude differences on view. That has to come from the manager and coaching staff.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

The mistakes made by recruitment for the PL have been well documented.  You have to get to the PL before you can think about engaging a team and it be fit for playing up to it.  Parker hasn't yet made a mark on this team and you can see that from in game selection, ineptitude and inconsistency.  I have already acknowledged Parker's improvements but his naivety sticks out like a sore thumb.  I give him the whole season to deal with it but IMO it will be nip and tuck for this side as things stand right now. 

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on October 06, 2019, 08:43:08 AM
I agree. While it's similar possession based football there are tactical, style and attitude differences on view. That has to come from the manager and coaching staff.
Not to mention different players which is where the bulk of the difference is.  Jokanovic had no true strike force for most of his tenure here as one example, unless on wishes to upgrade Martin's status to the level of a minor god.

colinwhite

lets give the club and SPs involvement in recruitment some credit. Parker is green ,but not naive .You are the only one comparing Jokanovic to Parker . That was not my intention . I was simply trying to put SPs reign thus far in context.
Hopefully we have learnt that getting out of the championship is one thing but adapting to the needs of the premiership when you get there is something entirely different.When it comes to premier league experience Parker has an abundance, and to suggest that he is inept really is ajoke.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on October 06, 2019, 08:29:37 AM
If you asked me start of season if i would have Joka back the answer would a big yes, however i have been very impressed by Parker.

He encourages very good football, talk well and seems to have complete respect of the players.

He is still learning but a proven by his half time changes yesterday he has a strong tactical awareness and flexibility.

This is how I feel too. I've been thrilled by some of the football this season.

toshes mate

You used the word 'inept' I didn't. Whilst I would use the phrase 'lacking guile' for Parker's team selection I put it down to 'his naivety as a coach' but I was among the first to acknowledge that he has a lot of learning to do as a coach and dealing with his brother-in-law is among those things that he needs to sharpen up on.   Lack of discipline let us down in the first half.   

ALG01

You play a style that suits your squad. Yesterday we missed fredricks big time.

As charlton were withstanding the onslaught what we missed was blistering pace on the wing. Cav is a top man, knock is also but they don't gave that pace.  It is the way it is. Parker's style is being tweaked as we go along,  the style is different now to how we played the first two or tgree games. Not very diffrent but different.

colinwhite

Isnt showing ` ineptitude` being inept ? Ok sorry lets not go there.
As far as Arter is concerned ,he performed very well in the Reading match and made the difference on many occasions,partularly early on. Cardiff away apart,I would suggest that he has done extremely well in his short time at the club. I dont think SP is going to put up with any further indiscipline from him.