watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Radio Discussion On Womens Football.

Started by Mince n Tatties, October 14, 2019, 02:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

I think the World Cup has boosted popularity of the women's game here. I've really noticed this, and seen an expansion in women's football, halting as it may be in terms of actual attendance at games, but at least the games are taking place.

But I think an interest has been created amongst young women themselves, in taking part - that this is an acceptable thing to do, and this has to be a good idea, if only for their long term health. Young women generally being adverse to exercise, with little interest in sport of any kind.

toshes mate

Quote from: 70sPimlico on October 14, 2019, 09:48:57 PM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on October 14, 2019, 07:40:10 PM
Women have many good attributes and skills, but playing football is not one of them.
I'm going to be polite and just call you a dinosaur. Our club has 4 girls teams. Some of the girls coming through are frighteningly good. Give it 4 years and watch the girls coming through.
The FA changed the way youth football was run about ten years ago. It was done on the back of English players not having the sufficient skills to compete at the top level. Our game was dour, long ball with little technique. You may have enjoyed it.

The young exciting gifted players you see now are the direct result of these efforts.

Right now, you have a small band of 11 and 12 year old girls who have as good a technique as the boys they compete with. If you stood on the sidelines at a grass roots game, you would be somewhat shocked and wouldn't make that misguided and lets have it right, downright rude comment
+1

sunburywhite

I think Hampton and Richmond would beat the English Ladies Team
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: toshes mate on October 15, 2019, 08:00:55 AM
Quote from: 70sPimlico on October 14, 2019, 09:48:57 PM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on October 14, 2019, 07:40:10 PM
Women have many good attributes and skills, but playing football is not one of them.
I'm going to be polite and just call you a dinosaur. Our club has 4 girls teams. Some of the girls coming through are frighteningly good. Give it 4 years and watch the girls coming through.
The FA changed the way youth football was run about ten years ago. It was done on the back of English players not having the sufficient skills to compete at the top level. Our game was dour, long ball with little technique. You may have enjoyed it.

The young exciting gifted players you see now are the direct result of these efforts.

Right now, you have a small band of 11 and 12 year old girls who have as good a technique as the boys they compete with. If you stood on the sidelines at a grass roots game, you would be somewhat shocked and wouldn't make that misguided and lets have it right, downright rude comment
+1

The point of the discussion is not what skills they have(like pointed out here at 11 &12) or when they get older,but like was said on the radio,will there ever be an audience for it.
If you look at other sports like tennis and athletics they attract the same crowds as at the mens do,maybe because they are mixed tournaments or whatever.
Girls football isn't new,its been around longer than some think,my daughter played for Newmarket team in 1990.
Nowhere is it being promoted more than in the Meryside area with Liverpool men's side achieving what they have,yet at moment it hasn't helped the girls game with only 900 and less at other home game coming to watch.

fcfulham55

I'm going to be down right honest, I tried watching women's football once.  But will never again.  Simply because I didn't enjoy one second of it. And I'd forever be drawing unfair comparison's to the mens teams.

People say women have so much more protection and rights, and in most cases an easier ticket through life (suppose that's true in my experiences). So  I can see why theres a growing community of women haters.   

Think it's all equality a diversity, and too much try harding from the media that actually puts more people off than attracts people to women's sports.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

MikeW

The BBC has played a major role in promoting women's football beyond its realistic expectations. 

First, the BBC is so PC in relation to gender / colour / orientation that at times I feel white males are actually discriminated against!  They have very little chance of landing a decent job under the current set up.

Women's football is attractive to them because they employ so many female sports presenters - witness Five Live on a Saturday afternoon or the News 24 sports programme;  there is bound to be a bias.  Women's football is also cheap - no massive contracts like SKY / BT are wrapped into.  They are desperate for any live sport - witness hours of athletics across summer afternoons and Autumn evenings. On the BBC Sport website women's games are often just flagged up by the team names so the visitor has no idea its a women's game (Same with cricket).

So they are promoting a minority sport in a pretty uneven way.  What if they were to give Div 1 and Dive 2 men's football the same exposure?
I think many would be surprised at the viewing figures.  That said, did I read there is a women's game this coming weekend where a gte of 80,000 is expected?  Will make a pleasant change from gates of a few hundred.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

ffcne

Quote from: MikeW on October 15, 2019, 05:27:54 PM
The BBC has played a major role in promoting women's football beyond its realistic expectations. 

First, the BBC is so PC in relation to gender / colour / orientation that at times I feel white males are actually discriminated against!  They have very little chance of landing a decent job under the current set up.

Women's football is attractive to them because they employ so many female sports presenters - witness Five Live on a Saturday afternoon or the News 24 sports programme;  there is bound to be a bias.  Women's football is also cheap - no massive contracts like SKY / BT are wrapped into.  They are desperate for any live sport - witness hours of athletics across summer afternoons and Autumn evenings. On the BBC Sport website women's games are often just flagged up by the team names so the visitor has no idea its a women's game (Same with cricket).

So they are promoting a minority sport in a pretty uneven way.  What if they were to give Div 1 and Dive 2 men's football the same exposure?
I think many would be surprised at the viewing figures.  That said, did I read there is a women's game this coming weekend where a gte of 80,000 is expected?  Will make a pleasant change from gates of a few hundred.

They sell tickets £5 adults £1 kids .

MJG

Just checked...yep 2019 and not 1919
Was starting to wonder given some of the comments here and elsewhere.
Just the views of a long term fan

love4ffc

Quote from: MJG on October 15, 2019, 06:19:30 PM

064.gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Andy S

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on October 14, 2019, 07:05:10 PM
Women's football will never achieve mass popularity anywhere close to the men's game for the same reason youth football doesn't.
Its just not good enough and no amount marketing will change that fact.

Of course occasionally everything falls right and you get a cracking game such as some of the recent Women's World Cup games but people weren't queuing to watch youth football after recent England success at various age levels and the ladies game is in the same boat
I disagree. Youth football is usually different in respect that there are 11 players giving it their all because they love to play the game. There is no money involved The supporters are their family and friends and it works for me. It is though about the history. Success is built slowly and when it comes to fruition it is sweet

Sgt Fulham

What, that women's football is of a lower quality than men's and will therefore likely never be as popular? It will be 2119 and that will still be true. You can't ignore the obvious athletic differences between men and women, as much as you wish.

Men and women don't have to be the same at EVERYTHING. There's plenty of stuff that women excel in compared to men, it's really not a big deal.

Nothing personal, but I find this assumption of the moral high ground epidemic quite childish and inhibitory to proper discussion. If you have a valid point to counter my argument let's discuss it, don't just roll your eyes and demean.

toshes mate

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 15, 2019, 08:21:30 AM
The point of the discussion is not what skills they have(like pointed out here at 11 &12) or when they get older,but like was said on the radio,will there ever be an audience for it.
If you look at other sports like tennis and athletics they attract the same crowds as at the mens do,maybe because they are mixed tournaments or whatever.
Girls football isn't new,its been around longer than some think,my daughter played for Newmarket team in 1990.
Nowhere is it being promoted more than in the Meryside area with Liverpool men's side achieving what they have,yet at moment it hasn't helped the girls game with only 900 and less at other home game coming to watch.
Women were playing football around the time of the suffragettes, and then the FA decided to ban them from playing.  It isn't about women competing to be better than men; it is about women competing against each other as a professional entertainment and measured against some games played by their gender counterparts they don't do too badly.  But it is a matter of taste and them that want to watch will watch.  There are men's games that attract similar gates to the women, you just have to drop down the pyramid to the National Leagues to find them.

Woolly Mammoth

Personally I enjoy watching England women's football and cricket, and especially the rugby. They are playing other teams who are all women, to compete against each other, nothing wrong with that, they have a level playing field. But I agree they are indulged far too much in men's sport in the name of one of the twin evils of this world, yes you have guest it, the insufferable Political Correctness, which the bbc and sky are obsessed with.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Carborundum

I don't watch women's football on the TV, but it's nothing to do with them.  Frankly, my son's U15 team and Fulham blots up more than enough of my time.  I love watching football and find enjoyment at any level provided teams are reasonably matched.  So my lack of interest in women's football is really little different to my disinterest in the premier league.

But that's enough about watching.  Who cares about the crowd size?  Football is about participating and it is for everyone.

MJG

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on October 15, 2019, 07:12:55 PM

What, that women's football is of a lower quality than men's and will therefore likely never be as popular? It will be 2119 and that will still be true. You can't ignore the obvious athletic differences between men and women, as much as you wish.

Men and women don't have to be the same at EVERYTHING. There's plenty of stuff that women excel in compared to men, it's really not a big deal.

Nothing personal, but I find this assumption of the moral high ground epidemic quite childish and inhibitory to proper discussion. If you have a valid point to counter my argument let's discuss it, don't just roll your eyes and demean.
I don't disagree with the athletic view and different abilities of both sexes. My comment was aimed at some of the other comments which in this day and age could be deemed sexist.
Just the views of a long term fan

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

RaySmith

This is the way things are going - women's' sport is taking off, in all sports. and I think it's a good thing.

Take cycling - one of the most  macho of sports, with few women  doing it, and then relegated to the margins in traditional European competition, with shorter, easier courses, and  hardly publicised. - 'no one wants to watch it'  people said.

But in this country we've led the way, with women riding equal in length and toughness courses in the Tour de Yorkshire and the recent World Championships (Britain hosting it for the first time since the 50's showing how we've suddenly became a force in the sport), which also had mixed time trial teams .

And do you know what? the crowds out on the roads and streets, especially, but not solely, to support local favourite Lizzie Deignance, showed that people  are  as receptive  to watching and appreciating women's sport as men's, if it's put on and advertised properly, with the same TV coverage, etc.

And i believe  that Women's football will grow in popularity very quickly now, and obviously,  also quickly,  greatly improve in  skill and ability, though always separate from the men's game, although i think the differences in skill and athleticism will become less marked.

Women will never be as physically strong as men, and won't play  against male teams in football, but have shown that they can be as tough and competitive as men, which can make female elite sport  as entertaining and attractive to watch as men's.

Statto

Agree with the obvious points made about the physical differences between the sexes and therefore the unavoidable fact that the women will never be as good as the men. That's significant because spectator sports are generally about watching the handful if individuals who are the very best in the world at what they do.

I'm glad that we, as a society, now encourage girls to play football/sports just as I've been encouraged to play football/sports as a man. It's irrefutably a good thing given it's generally enjoyable, builds friendships and improves one's physical and mental well-being. But just because I played football, I didn't expect to paid Ronaldo's salary, for people to pay to watch me, or for the BBC to spend the license fee broadcasting my matches. Neither should the women.   

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Russianrob on October 14, 2019, 03:23:04 PM
Not merely a question of not catching on but could it even have a negative effect.I am a 60 year old Fulham supporter becoming so fed up with the present attempts to make us embrace womens football that maybe I could disown the male team.It is the same with the Gay issue so promoted that I fear the club will one day inform me that I cannot be considered a true supporter as I am not homosexual.Let me state clearly I am a true Cottager!
As a father of a female footballer your thinking seems narrow minded to me...but I wouldn't begrudge you having your own opinion.

I'm not sure anyone is forcing anything on you.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on October 15, 2019, 10:21:30 PM
Agree with the obvious points made about the physical differences between the sexes and therefore the unavoidable fact that the women will never be as good as the men. That's significant because spectator sports are generally about watching the handful if individuals who are the very best in the world at what they do.

I'm glad that we, as a society, now encourage girls to play football/sports just as I've been encouraged to play football/sports as a man. It's irrefutably a good thing given it's generally enjoyable, builds friendships and improves one's physical and mental well-being. But just because I played football, I didn't expect to paid Ronaldo's salary, for people to pay to watch me, or for the BBC to spend the license fee broadcasting my matches. Neither should the women.

I agree with the wage aspect of your comment but I think the BBC comment is a little misleading. The BBC bought the woman's world cup because it was an opportunity to try and boost the game but mainly because it was a world sporting event they could actually afford and sport always does well and gets decent viewing figures. If football hadn't sold the rights to private companies or the BBC could afford to televise those events, they would of.

Call me cynical but they I think this was way more about the affordability of it rather than the social progressive politics behind it. That was just a bonus.