watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How stupid of me

Started by Peabody, October 24, 2019, 12:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

After seventy odd years of watching Fulham, I have been under the mistaken idea that the object of football, is that you put the ball in the opponents net more times than they put it in your net. How stupid of me.

How did I realise the error of my ways, by coming home, from what I though was a quite entertaining football match, which ended up with Fulham scoring one more goal that Luton and incidentally playing some lovely stuff in the process, only to find some of my erstwhile colleagues on this forum, completely putting my hat on straight by completely shattering my idea and that more goals obviously don't win football matches

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Peabody on October 24, 2019, 12:34:59 AM
After seventy odd years of watching Fulham, I have been under the mistaken idea that the object of football, is that you put the ball in the opponents net more times than they put it in your net. How stupid of me.

How did I realise the error of my ways, by coming home, from what I though was a quite entertaining football match, which ended up with Fulham scoring one more goal that Luton and incidentally playing some lovely stuff in the process, only to find some of my erstwhile colleagues on this forum, completely putting my hat on straight by completely shattering my idea that more goals obviously don't win football matches

✔️  I concur.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

There was a plonker in the Hammersmith end about 2 rows back from me who the whole second half kept moaning everytime we didn't score on attack"" Jesus Parker you don't know what your doing".
Guy 2 seats along had enough in the end got up and shouted at the Plonker"Give it a feckin rest will you,every bloody game your at it,well I've had enough of listening to your drivel"
He walked out.😢

Arthur

Peabody,

Should I take your sarcasm to mean that there is never just cause to be critical after a victory? On the basis that 'the object of football' has been achieved?

Whilst the objective to win one game of football may have been achieved last night, is not the Club's aim for the season to gain promotion? In this respect, seeing as we are failing to meet the 'object of football' as often as we are succeeding, might it not be useful for Parker to look for ways in which we can improve both in victory and defeat?

Questions! Questions! But would I fall foul of your ire for saying what I think those improvements might be?

Peabody

Quote from: Arthur on October 24, 2019, 08:01:34 AM
Peabody,

Should I take your sarcasm to mean that there is never just cause to be critical after a victory? On the basis that 'the object of football' has been achieved?

Whilst the objective to win one game of football may have been achieved last night, is not the Club's aim for the season to gain promotion? In this respect, seeing as we are failing to meet the 'object of football' as often as we are succeeding, might it not be useful for Parker to look for ways in which we can improve both in victory and defeat?

Of course you can but last night, was quite a good performance and some, never seem to have anything good to say. Oh and me, being sarcastic? Never.

Questions! Questions! But would I fall foul of your ire for saying what I think those improvements might be?

The Rational Fan

We have all week to criticize the owner, manager and players, but any supporter worthy of the name should be 100% behind FFC when we are playing.

bog

Morning Peabody. Sir, you shade me by about two years, I am marching alongside you here. The Championship and the National league are the two hardest divisions to leave. We should have beaten WBA, Sheff Weds, Charlton but for their keeper and Forest got away with it. We have one of our best ever number 9's who could have left in the summer but loves the club. We have the squad widely regarded as the best in the division. We recall times when we could have been Bury.   

Thank you and good night  :54:

092.gif

SuffolkWhite

Wins a win. Football is a simple game a bit like some supporters.

Three at the back anyone  064.gif
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Dr Quinzel

Unnecessarily snarky post - It is possible to enjoy a win, and still fear the signs of problems that we are seeing regularly. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Coming on here, a forum, to discuss those is hardly surprising. It's good to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly of every game, and isn't that why this forum exists?

You can see three points from the game, and that may be enough for you, but no need to snipe at those who want to raise concerns and discuss what they saw a little more deeply - whether you personally see them as valid or not.

Lighthouse

The problem is that if we come on here after a defeat and read the criticisms and the over the top need to sack everybody. Then come on here after a win and read criticisms and over the top need to sack everybody. What is the point of coming on here? We all know our defense is poor and that our shape at the back is poor. But after an exciting game when we are doing well in the league. It seems rather odd to concentrate on what is bad in a game and how we should somehow be doing so much better.

It seems that Fulham fans, like the Country, just don't want to enjoy the good times as they simply aren't good enough. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 24, 2019, 09:35:02 AM
The problem is that if we come on here after a defeat and read the criticisms and the over the top need to sack everybody. Then come on here after a win and read criticisms and over the top need to sack everybody. What is the point of coming on here? We all know our defense is poor and that our shape at the back is poor. But after an exciting game when we are doing well in the league. It seems rather odd to concentrate on what is bad in a game and how we should somehow be doing so much better.

It seems that Fulham fans, like the Country, just don't want to enjoy the good times as they simply aren't good enough.

Some are always going to be cup half full, and others half empty. Such is life. I think it's true to say we could be doing a lot better, but also at the minute that it could be a lot worse. We're in a bit of a juncture and it could go one way or another and people are just either fearing the worst or focussing on the positives depending on their outlook.

Woolly Mammoth

Wise words and a very accurate point.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 24, 2019, 09:41:45 AM

Agree.

It's fair enough to speak of problems with the team, and defensive lapses, but if a neutral looked on here, they would think Fulham had lost last night, and were bottom of the league.

There's just too much emphasis on the negative, and little talk of the positive aspects, of which there are many, not to mention the  three points, leaving us two points behind second place,  of last night, and our talented squad and bright, young manager.

Peabody

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on October 24, 2019, 09:27:24 AM
Unnecessarily snarky post - It is possible to enjoy a win, and still fear the signs of problems that we are seeing regularly. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Coming on here, a forum, to discuss those is hardly surprising. It's good to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly of every game, and isn't that why this forum exists?

You can see three points from the game, and that may be enough for you, but no need to snipe at those who want to raise concerns and discuss what they saw a little more deeply - whether you personally see them as valid or not.

So, it's OK for others to express an opinion but it's, Sarcee or not, it's not OK for me to do the same? As for lecturing on the 'snarky post", that is how I see things and do I not have the right, like everyone else, to express that, in whatever way I see fit? You do things your way and I will do it mine.

Andy S

Haven't we ever sneaked two goals in a game that on play we didn't deserve? Of course we have and we will again in the future. The result was the most important thing last night. As I came away from the ground last night I heard a guy say to his friend that he was Happy conceding two between now and the end of the season as long as we scored three. To be honest that is a very tall order that we need to score three goals a game in order to do anything this season. I would like some 1-0 games please

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Peabody on October 24, 2019, 08:29:27 AM
Peabody,

Of course you can but last night, was quite a good performance and some, never seem to have anything good to say. Oh and me, being sarcastic? Never.

You took a moral high ground of sorts which seemed unfair to me at least. When you do that, you must know to expect for people to at least raise an eyebrow and question it.

There's better ways to say what you wanted without the need to disrespect those raising concerns they see as valid - that's my view. Respect yours, just didn't think it is the best way to do it.

Dr Quinzel

Quoted the wrong post there, sorry. Late nights after midweek games affect my brain.

Peabody

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on October 24, 2019, 10:48:14 AM
Quote from: Peabody on October 24, 2019, 08:29:27 AM
Peabody,

You took a moral high ground of sorts which seemed unfair to me at least. When you do that, you must know to expect for people to at least raise an eyebrow and question it.

There's better ways to say what you wanted without the need to disrespect those raising concerns they see as valid - that's my view. Respect yours, just didn't think it is the best way to do it.

Fair enough, you stick to your high ground and I' ll stick to mine

Chesh

Quote from: RaySmith on October 24, 2019, 09:54:08 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 24, 2019, 09:41:45 AM

Agree.

It's fair enough to speak of problems with the team, and defensive lapses, but if a neutral looked on here, they would think Fulham had lost last night, and were bottom of the league.

There's just too much emphasis on the negative, and little talk of the positive aspects, of which there are many, not to mention the  three points, leaving us two points behind second place,  of last night, and our talented squad and bright, young manager.

0001.jpeg
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

snarks

As has been posted on another thread. To win when you don't play well is what counts, and we did that in part last night. we were great going forward, but Ream and Bryan had collectively their worst game defensively so far this season.

We've only clicked a few times this season as a team, but boy when we do it's fantastic. I'm loving the way we play, and move teams around. Luton tried to press like Charlton, but just couldn't do it for long enough.