watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The table

Started by bahay18, October 26, 2019, 06:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahay18

As the saying goes ' the season starts when the yellow ball comes out ' . looking at the table , that couldn't be more true this year . No one seems to be able to stamp their authority on the league , anyone who can string 3 or 4 in  a row is going to make a big impression . Watching wednesday v leeds , this is a very average Championship season and is more than winnable.

Fulham Tup North

049:gif  :hook:
The current TOP 6 in the table ALL have a last 5 games of:
2 WINS
2 DRAWS
1 LOSS

How's that for a STAT?   :wow: :wow:
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on October 26, 2019, 07:14:39 PM
049:gif  :hook:
The current TOP 6 in the table ALL have a last 5 games of:
2 WINS
2 DRAWS
1 LOSS

How's that for a STAT?   :wow: :wow:

Unfortunately, the best stats for the last five games are from four teams outside the top six that is Hull, Birmingham, Brentford and Huddersfield. With Fulham's next two games being Hull and Birmingham.

Mince n Tatties

Even the Bundesliga is wide open,normally Munich away with it,but 5 points separate the top 10 teams this season.

MJG

*Note this is all at 13 games

Not sure the league this season is much different to any other in recent championship seasons apart from maybe not one club charging away.

Prior to this weekend the bottom 3 had the same number of points combined as bottom 3 last season at 13 games.

Top 6 last year had 39 points, this season 141.

Last season at 13 games the top 6 had 15 more points than the whole of the bottom half added up together, its the same this season.

Last year 12th had 18 points, this season it had 18 points.

Its what makes the championship such a great league.
Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

All of that is all well and good, but we are a side capable of putting 4 or 5 wins together. When we do that we will be top of the league.

MJG

Quote from: colinwhite on October 28, 2019, 08:20:27 AM
All of that is all well and good, but we are a side capable of putting 4 or 5 wins together. When we do that we will be top of the league.
Depends how far back you are tho when that run starts.

Currently if we won the next 4 in a row we would be on 35 points and I would expect top to have 35/36. This is why its important to not drop more than 6 points away from your target I believe.

The Rational Fan

In the last five games, FFC players not called Mitrovoic have scored three goals and we have conceeded seven goals, so a five game wining streak would be surprising.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 28, 2019, 08:58:10 AM

In the last five games, FFC players not called Mitrovoic have scored three goals and we have conceeded seven goals, so a five game wining streak would be surprising.

Well, fortunately for us the EFL seem to have decided that even goals scored by Mitrovic will count.

toshes mate

Is the ratio of drawn games in the Championship so far this season slightly higher than is usual over a whole season?     

Statto

Quote from: MJG on October 28, 2019, 08:47:32 AM
Depends how far back you are tho when that run starts.

Currently if we won the next 4 in a row we would be on 35 points and I would expect top to have 35/36. This is why its important to not drop more than 6 points away from your target I believe.

Agree and I also think psychology comes into it as much as maths. Spend too long outside the top two and you'll struggle to identify or envision yourselves as a top two team. As I've said on other threads, I can see us casually settling around 6th.The sheer talent in the squad will stop us falling below that level but I'm not sure Parker has that Warnock-type (as much as I hate him) ability to put a rocket up the team's arse or alternatively the tactical nous (understandable given his inexperience) to get them to optimum performance.

filham

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 28, 2019, 08:58:10 AM

Yes, we keep worrying about our defence but we are not the free scoring outfit we like to think we are. Time Reid found the net and we have scored but a single goal in the three matches against the bottom three

colinwhite

Dont understand the obsession with league placings at this point. The table is so tight with so many games left that" top 10 sides " or" bottom 3 " doesnt really say a lot, and is just a ploy to enhance a doubtful argument.

FFC1987

Quote from: colinwhite on October 28, 2019, 10:05:21 AM
Dont understand the obsession with league placings at this point. The table is so tight with so many games left that" top 10 sides " or" bottom 3 " doesnt really say a lot, and is just a ploy to enhance a doubtful argument.

Or, and just hear me out, people are genuinely concerned that we're slightly behind the curve and haven't really been beating teams we probably should do. I'm more concerned that we might, at some stage rely on this record breaking run just to hit the playoff lottery, or beating top 6 sides away to make up for other points dropped which potentially, won't come.

It's not all doom and gloom, but you've probably got your head in the sand if you don't have concerns.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on October 28, 2019, 09:13:56 AM
Is the ratio of drawn games in the Championship so far this season slightly higher than is usual over a whole season?   
its lower, last year 29.34% of games were a draw and this year 28.9%

MJG

Quote from: colinwhite on October 28, 2019, 10:05:21 AM
The table takes shape now and pretty much teams will only change a few positions between now and the end of the season. Its a useful way of seeing where we stand against everyone else and whats required going forward.

Jim©

I think concerns is way, way overexaggerating the situation that we now find ourselves in.
I'd be concerned if at any point we were genuinely pleased to have drawn a game. No, in all of them we could and mostly should have won the games.
We battered W Brom for 65 minutes of a game and should have been out of sight. We have played the two teams that came down with us from the Prem (a) and got 4 points. We led high flying Sheff W (a) until the last seconds.
I dont think anyone could argue if we had 4 or 5 more points from our efforts this season and that'd put us...?

colinwhite

Ffc1987. fair enough. Concerns are one thing, but the signs are also there to see that we could easily have been top of the table now, by putting away chances that were there for the taking. I share peoples frustrations and certainly do not have my head in the sand,but base my opnion on what is there to be seen in our matches. Saturdays point could prove to be huge in my opinion. To see players like Cairney,Cavaliero, Mitrovic and others fight like pirates ,(sorry couldnt resist that ) gives us something we havent seen for a good few years - everyone fully committed to a cause with no luxury players. Time will tell ,but I think we can have a great season .

FFC1987

Quote from: Jim© on October 28, 2019, 10:16:50 AM
I think concerns is way, way overexaggerating the situation that we now find ourselves in.
I'd be concerned if at any point we were genuinely pleased to have drawn a game. No, in all of them we could and mostly should have won the games.
We battered W Brom for 65 minutes of a game and should have been out of sight. We have played the two teams that came down with us from the Prem (a) and got 4 points. We led high flying Sheff W (a) until the last seconds.
I dont think anyone could argue if we had 4 or 5 more points from our efforts this season and that'd put us...?

I'm really not sure how that's exaggerating if one shows concerns when you look at the curve, and some of the results/stats mentioned above. I could understand if people were saying we're going to finish mid table or less but the concern is in finishing top 2.