Main Menu

Schwarzer Set To Stay

Started by White Noise, November 05, 2010, 09:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham FC  Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer set for Fulham stay

Nov 5 2010

By Paul Warburton

MARK Hughes believes that against all the odds Mark Schwarzer will sign a new contract and stay with Fulham.

The wantaway keeper was sorely miffed in the summer after a £2.5million switch to Arsenal was vetoed by the Whites – and hints that followed from the Aussie's camp suggested he would walk away from Craven Cottage a free man next May and into a lucrative deal abroad.

Shay Given at Manchester City was mooted as the obvious replacement.

But Schwarzer's Fulham manager made it plain today the World Cup keeper is a priority in the contract negotiation stakes, and suggested talks were well down the road in securing the 37-year-old for the next two seasons as well.

Hughes said: "We're not looking any further than Mark Schwarzer because we believe he's going to be our keeper.

"We've been talking with Mark in recent weeks – we want to make that happen, so hopefully we'll soon have some goods news about his future."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/11/05/arsenal-target-mark-schwarzer-set-for-fulham-stay-82029-27609497/#ixzz14Rf3EmXv

Tom

I'll believe it when it happens.
Fulham for life!

HatterDon

huh?

Dude, it's happening every minute of every day that he's here. I mean  :tom: is up with you?  :wink:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Great keeper, but he's made it clear where he wants to be, just because Arsenal are no longer interested , should we suck up to him, at his age a one year contract on slightly less money should be offered. Hopefully a younger keeper will be brought in, and take the number 1 jersey for years to come. If not Stockdale didn't look too bad did he ?

SuffolkWhite

Stockdale looked good Fred and he would challenge for the No 1 spot eventually, But didn't he have an inconsistent period last season. I watched him at Basel and he seemed good that night. Thing is, he is going to need 1st team performances t get the experience. It's a risk but at least he is showing loyalty which goes a long way for me.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

SmithyFFC

Let him go on a free at the end of the season.

Give Stockdale the No. 1 jersey, he earned it.
FTID

duffbeer

Sector9

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on November 06, 2010, 12:03:19 AM
Let him go on a free at the end of the season.

Give Stockdale the No. 1 jersey, he earned it.

He definitely hasn't earned it yet. The few games he played was not enough to say he should go straight ahead of Schwarz! Schwarz is one of the best in the premiership, and has been of the most consistent for 10 or so years!

If the man is happy at fulham, and wants to stay at the end of the season, then I respect him and will not hold it against that he wanted to go to Arsenal (a top four and champions league team) and am fully behind him!

Burt

When he signs the dotted line, then I will believe it...

Be good to have him for another season or so, which will enable Stockdale to get some more experience.

White Noise

Interesting responses. Not one 'great news, really hope this happens' type reply. His stock really has fallen a long way with fans.

Oakeshott

Actually, if it is true I do think it is great news.

Mark has had the odd dodgy game but they all do (even the immaculate EVDS dropped one the other day). For the most part he looks as good as ever and we'd struggle to find anyone as good. Given might be comparable, but probably at a lot greater cost. Like S9, I don't hold it against him that he wanted a move to Arsenal - he's obviously in his last few years at the top level and in that situation who wouldn't want the chance of Champions League games not to mention the possibility of a Premiership medal. However strong our attachment to Fulham, the best our current players can realistically hope for is finishing in the lower part of the top half of the Premiership and another crack at the Europa.

epsomraver

Part of this "change of heart" could be that Arsenal have seemed to have sorted out their goalie problems.

fulhamwannabe

my policy is this:
1:any player who asks for a transfer should never ever come back to the club no matter what(i"d rather play with 10)
2:any player who doesn't wet the shirt,should not play for the club anymore
3:any player who asks for more money:GTF
4:any player who leaves the club if this one is relegated,should be SHOT(treason)
and finally any player who starts his career and finishes his career in the same club(not many these days)IS CONSIDERED A TRUE HERO  don't matter if he was good or not! :54:

RidgeRider

if it happens, I thinks this is awesome news. We know what we are getting with Schwarzer and as fit and lean as he keeps himself, he has a few more years left in him at top level.

I hold no ill will towards him for wanting to play Champions League football and potentially win silverware in the Prem. Why wouldn't you want that opportunity? He probably loves it at Fulham but knows there are limits to how high he can go at Fulham. He was neither born in Fulham or England for that matter so there are no real reasons to be so loyal that you would pass up a chance for a larger stage.

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: RidgeRider on November 06, 2010, 12:55:08 PM
if it happens, I thinks this is awesome news. We know what we are getting with Schwarzer and as fit and lean as he keeps himself, he has a few more years left in him at top level.

I hold no ill will towards him for wanting to play Champions League football and potentially win silverware in the Prem. Why wouldn't you want that opportunity? He probably loves it at Fulham but knows there are limits to how high he can go at Fulham. He was neither born in Fulham or England for that matter so there are no real reasons to be so loyal that you would pass up a chance for a larger stage.
:045: Can't say fairer than that Ridgie. (Previous post not worthy of a reply)

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

If he stays he stays,if he doesn't we have Stockdale,not to fussed really.We need a striker that can strike and a mid field who can pass in Jan,for me the goalie situation is sorted either way