watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday music thread

Started by Burt, November 15, 2019, 08:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

This week, I have been mostly listening to Chrissie Hynde's new album "Valve Bone Woe".

Imagine dingy, smoke-filled jazz club and you're on the right track. Great album.

Mickeyboro

The first Pretenders album is still unimprovable!

Unimpressed by her autobiography but will give this a go.

RaySmith

Soounds great Burt. I like Chrissie Hynde, she's great,  love her voice, and has made some great records. Great that she's still making  good music.
But I've only seen her live on stage with Bob Dylan at Brixton Academy in the 90's, as an impromptu enthusiastic  backing singer.

I'm not very well up on the modern music scene,  but have been listening to a lot of Joni Mitchel lately.
Her song River is one of my all time  favourite songs-

https://youtu.be/F8MqF7xEGhs

Aussie Courtney Barnett is a modern singer /songwriter i like.

Whitestone

Went to see Vampire Weekend who played some of the old favourites like Oxford Comma and A-Punk along with a lot of stuff from the latest album Father of the Bride.

Buffalo76

The Black Crowes are back after the Robinson brothers kissed and made up. They're celebrating the 30th anniversary of their debut album Shake Your Money Maker next year by playing US shows. Fingers crossed they'll come over to the UK at some point again. Well worth checking out for anyone not already familiar with this superb band.

RaySmith

Got tickets to see the great John Prine in Manchester  in February. He's been very ill, so  likely won't have another chance to see him.
His classic, Sam stone, seems a fitting song for  Armistice week-

https://youtu.be/rtrALjg0-xQ

Mince n Tatties

Just listening and watching "The Byrd's" singing "My Back Pages"... Dylan's song but Byrd's Version is tops.

Mince n Tatties

Followed by "Brian Wilson".." Somewhere Quiet".

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I saw the prodigy this time last year. Glad I did now.
The Specials at hammersmith apollo about 5 years ago will still go down as one of the greatest gig of all time.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Spirit of 2000

My eclectic tastes demand playlists as opposed to albums.

Currently am listening to a playlist driven by my love of darts and various players walk on tunes, so am limited to that criteria.

List reads as follows: Seven Nation Army (White stripes), The Power (Snap), Don't Stop the Party (Pitbull), Jump Around (House of Pain), Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice), The Boys are back in town (Thin Lizzy), Down Under (Men at Work), Dizzy (Wonderstuff), The Best (Tina Turner), Eye of the Tiger (Survivor), Happy (Pharrell Williams), Daydream Believer (Monkees), Sandstorm (Darude), Uptown Funk (Mark Ronson), Freed from Desire (Gala), Rocking all Over the world (Status quo), Here Comes the Hotstepper (Ini Kamoze), Mr Brightside (The Killers), Walk of Life (Dire Straits), Play that funky music (Wild Cherry), Rebel Rebel (David Bowie), Johnny be Goode (Chuck Berry), Don't look back in anger (Oasis), Surfin' Bird (Trashmen), Can't Take my eyes off of you (Andy Williams), Stayin' Alive (Bee Gees), Wake me up (Avicii), Hey Baby (DJ Otzi), Mission Impossible (Miyavi), Bring me to life (Evanescence), Boom, Shake the room (DJ Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince), Breathe (The Prodigy), Reach Up - papas got a brand new pigbag - (Perfecto Alstarz), Buck Rogers (Feeder), Tubthumping (Chumbawumba), Hot, hot, hot (Buster Poindexter) & London Calling (The Clash)

See varied!!

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on November 15, 2019, 10:26:02 AM
The Specials at hammersmith apollo about 5 years ago will still go down as one of the greatest gig of all time.

Saw Prodigy a few times - best was about 11 years ago at the Brixton Academy - brilliant!!

Jem

"Valve Bone Woe" is really nice. I am imagining low lights, roaring fire and a nice bottle of merlot.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 15, 2019, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on November 15, 2019, 10:26:02 AM

Saw Prodigy a few times - best was about 11 years ago at the Brixton Academy - brilliant!!

Yeah. Saw them there too. Keith was all over the shop, having it. Impressive for a man of his then age.

Iggy Pop in finsbury park was mad too. Didnt get his willy out thank god.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

WindyCity

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 15, 2019, 10:33:59 AM
My eclectic tastes demand playlists as opposed to albums.

Currently am listening to a playlist driven by my love of darts and various players walk on tunes, so am limited to that criteria.

List reads as follows: Seven Nation Army (White stripes), The Power (Snap), Don't Stop the Party (Pitbull), Jump Around (House of Pain), Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice), The Boys are back in town (Thin Lizzy), Down Under (Men at Work), Dizzy (Wonderstuff), The Best (Tina Turner), Eye of the Tiger (Survivor), Happy (Pharrell Williams), Daydream Believer (Monkees), Sandstorm (Darude), Uptown Funk (Mark Ronson), Freed from Desire (Gala), Rocking all Over the world (Status quo), Here Comes the Hotstepper (Ini Kamoze), Mr Brightside (The Killers), Walk of Life (Dire Straits), Play that funky music (Wild Cherry), Rebel Rebel (David Bowie), Johnny be Goode (Chuck Berry), Don't look back in anger (Oasis), Surfin' Bird (Trashmen), Can't Take my eyes off of you (Andy Williams), Stayin' Alive (Bee Gees), Wake me up (Avicii), Hey Baby (DJ Otzi), Mission Impossible (Miyavi), Bring me to life (Evanescence), Boom, Shake the room (DJ Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince), Breathe (The Prodigy), Reach Up - papas got a brand new pigbag - (Perfecto Alstarz), Buck Rogers (Feeder), Tubthumping (Chumbawumba), Hot, hot, hot (Buster Poindexter) & London Calling (The Clash)

See varied!!

Nice list, though not familiar with some of those artists.  Nice to see Monkees got a mention.  They actually put out some very good music, in my opinion, though considered a bubblegum poppy type of band.  Hot hot hot great tune.  Loved a lot of Bowie's work, Rebel rebel a great song, but I've always enjoyed Space Oddity and Suffragette City much more, or anything on the Ziggy album.  Saw Tina Turner back in the day when Ike was running the band.  Great show.  Still think one of all time great videos and songs was the Killers When You Were Young.

Nice list.  Fun to chat about off topic (football) things during this break.

OldBrownShoe

The new Christie Hynde.
Have had the album for a few weeks. Simply superb and highly recommended! :HD:
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Cutler

I'm in Bristol tonight to see Blood Red Shoes at the Thekla. Brilliant atmospheric club (which is a converted boat).
But back to the original post, the pretenders are still a great band to see.  082.gif

Wolf

Adorable : Creation records act 1992-94, two albums, highest chart placing #70. Saw the final date of their 25th anniversary reunion tour two weeks back. Greatest rock band of all time (notwithstanding music is perhaps the most subjective form of art and some people may not agree with my statement).
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

bobbo

Just played a few of the tunes listed on this post and replies. Good sounds .

I've always been heavily into the music of James Taylor and been to the states to see him numerous times.
Anyone want to try " like everyone she knows " long intro but I love this tune.

Footnote :- I had Christie hynd at my desk years ado at lhr , she wouldn't speak to me did it all through her roadie .  Her choice I guess.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Russianrob

Palestrina, Mozart,Bach and modern composer Avre Part.

bobbo

OMG . Why didn't we have Spotify late fifties/early sixties.
1975 just leaving home full of hope