watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (07/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 07, 2010, 08:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6491104,00.html?

Hughes hails Fulham belief
Cottagers boss taking positives after last-gasp equaliser

Fulham boss Mark Hughes hailed his side's never-say-die attitude as centre-half Brede Hangeland rescued the hosts a point in the 1-1 draw against Aston Villa at Craven Cottage.

The Norwegian defender earned the Cottagers a point with a last-gasp equaliser when he rose highest to head home a free-kick from Danny Murphy with just seconds remaining.

Marc Albrighton's 42nd-minute strike looked to have given Villa a vital win when he latched on to a sensational cross-field pass from Barry Bannan to finish in style.

But Hangeland stole the show in the fourth minute of stoppage time much to the delight of Hughes.
Probing

He told Sky Sports: "We found it quite difficult in that second half. We were one goal down and Villa looked a threat on the break.

"But in fairness, we kept on probing and kept on asking questions, kept on trying to do the right things.

"We didn't ask enough questions in the second-half, in terms of balls into the box, but the one ball we did produce brought us the goal and we are thankful for that.

"At that late stage you are thinking the game is lost and it has gone beyond you. We got something out of the game so we are pleased.

"We have got to be pleased with the point."

Positive
Hughes was disappointed striker Andrew Johnson could not take his chance after coming on as a second half substitute.

He added: "Andrew looked bright. I just felt we needed to stretch the game. We kept going and that is the positive we will take from it.

"It was a shame Andy couldn't take his opportunity, but it's only a matter of time before he gets up the level we know he can achieve.

"He showed once again he still has that awareness. But credit to Brad (Friedel) who came out very quickly and closed his angle down. It was good play all round."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/HughesAstonVillaReaction.aspx?

Pleased with the Point

A late Brede Hangeland equaliser helped Fulham gain a share of the points on Saturday in a tough encounter against Aston Villa at Craven Cottage.

Hangeland left it late, heading past Brad Friedel in the last minute of added time to send the Craven Cottage crowd wild.

Speaking after the match, Manager Mark Hughes was pleased with the spirit shown by his side.

"In the first half I thought we edged the better chances," said Hughes. "I was disappointed to concede just before half-time and in the second-half, Villa were able to get people behind the ball and play on the counter and that was always a worry for us.

"But we kept on going and doing the right things. We didn't ask enough questions in the second-half, in terms of balls into the box, but the one ball we did produce brought us the goal and we are thankful for that.

"At that late stage you are thinking the game is lost and it has gone beyond you. We got something out of the game so we are pleased.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/HughesAstonVillaReaction.aspx?#ixzz14aAZSwRp

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/MurphyVillaReaction.aspx

Fighting Spirit

Danny Murphy thought that the draw rescued by Brede Hangeland's dramatic late headed goal against Aston Villa on Saturday was a fair outcome on an afternoon when he and his team-mates struggled to meet the exceptionally high standards they had set with last weekend's impressive 2-0 victory over Wigan Athletic.

"It wasn't one of our better days at the office," admitted the Fulham skipper. "In the first-half we had a few chances but didn't convert them. Villa grew in stature, obviously got the goal, and when you concede at home to anyone in the Premier League you give yourself a mountain to climb.

"That said, we felt a little hard-done-by going in at half-time a goal down because we thought chances had been about even, even though we knew we hadn't played well.

"But I thought we played better after half-time. We got in their last third better, although the ball didn't quite fall for us. AJ had a couple of opportunities and myself and Clint had a couple of half-chances, but we were starting to get the feeling it wasn't going to be our day.

"Villa are very dangerous on the break, and they could have killed us off on a couple of occasions in the last 15 minutes, but we had to take risks at that point to try and get back in the game. Fortunately our desire and hunger to not lose was very evident. Everyone carried on trying hard to make things happen even though it wasn't going for us, and we eventually got the goal off the set play.

"On another day, if we'd put one of our chances away in the first-half, everything would have been a lot more comfortable, but it wasn't meant to be. Sometimes you have to be grateful for a point, and today is one of those days. There's no point trying to kid ourselves that we deserve more, because I don't think we do."

The relief of the fans in the stands brought to mind some of the classic late goals of recent times. But as entertaining as such drama might be to the spectator, Murphy insists it's a habit that Fulham are hoping to kick.

"We've won points with late goals a lot this season, and it's great that we have that togetherness to keep fighting to the end, but we don't really want to have to keep coming from behind like this. Obviously, sometimes in the season you are going to face quality opposition and you will lose games, but when we're at home we like to think we can give anyone a match.

"Today we weren't at the same level as we were last week and that was disappointing because we set our standards against Wigan and today we didn't maintain them.

"We did show good spirit, but we know we have to improve. Sometimes when you've played well and won as comfortably as we did last week, you go into the next game a bit complacent and I thought that happened today, but we can't let that happen again because in the Premier League you get punished.

"But let's be positive about the fact that we didn't get beaten."

The team now face a busy week with away trips to Chelsea, on Wednesday, and Newcastle next Saturday, and the Whites Captain is keen to assure fans that he and his colleagues will be ready to demonstrate the same fighting spirit in both of them, starting of course, with the SW6 derby.

"They'll both be different games to this," he said. "At home, we always fancy ourselves, but away from home we know it will be a bit more difficult.

"We might have to be a bit more defence-minded against a team like Chelsea because they have such quality. So we'll have to be well organised, make sure we've got good shape and discipline and work really hard to keep a clean sheet - because we know we're going to be under the cosh for long periods – but of course try and cause a threat at the same time.

"But we're looking forward to it. We know it's a big derby and it's about time we got something there. We were close last year, 1-0 up at half-time and only losing out because of that unfortunate own goal from Chris Smalling.

"It's something the players are looking forward to. I'm just hoping that the lads that took knocks today can be fit. We seem to be having some bad luck in that respect at the moment and Carlos and Bairdy are the latest victims – neither are the type to come off just for a niggle, so we'll have to wait and see what their situations are.

"We're backs-to-the-walls at the minute, so we need to remember what we've got – a good squad and a good spirit and we'll go to Chelsea and Newcastle and give it everything because we need more points on the board, and we've got to show our fighting spirit for the fans."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/MurphyVillaReaction.aspx#ixzz14aAqITwc

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/HangelandVillaReaction.aspx

A Calm Head

Brede Hangeland was in typically balanced mood speaking after his last-gasp goal rescued a point for Fulham against Aston Villa on Saturday.

With the Whites trailing to a Marc Albrighton first-half goal, Hangeland left it until the final minute of added time to head home Danny Murphy's well placed free-kick.

The goal sparked ecstatic scenes in Craven Cottage but speaking soon after the final whistle, Brede gave an even-handed assessment of the match.

"To be fair to Villa I thought they played really well today," he said. "We didn't come near our best levels so I can understand how they feel when they are one-nil up just before the end of the game and we get one back.

"Obviously it's the best time to score, just before the end of the game. I thought we battled well but we didn't play well especially in the second-half, that's something we need to look at and see why we didn't do as well as last week against Wigan.

"It was a little bit too hectic at times. We didn't manage to get the ball down and control the game and play our football. That's credit to Villa, they did really well today and I thought some of their young players didn't look too bothered playing in the Premiership.

"When you're a goal to nil down five minutes from full-time it's always a good feeling to be able to get something from the game. It's important not to get beaten because it looks like the league is going to be tighter than ever this season. Any result, at the end of the day, is something you can move on from."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/HangelandVillaReaction.aspx#ixzz14aB61rHR

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=220071

Fulham - Hughes on Draw With Villa!
I guess a point was better than nothing in the end but pre-match I have to say I had us down as taking all three from this one!

Perhaps that`ll teach me not to count my chickens.

In the obligatory post match interview, Mark Hughes gave an insight into his views on the action we`d all witnessed by remarking,

'In the first-half I thought we edged the better chances."

'I was disappointed to concede just before half-time and in the second-half, Villa were able to get people behind the ball and play on the counter and that was always a worry for us."

'But we kept on going and doing the right things. We didn't ask enough questions in the second-half, in terms of balls into the box, but the one ball we did produce brought us the goal and we are thankful for that."

'At that late stage you are thinking the game is lost and it has gone beyond you. We got something out of the game so we are pleased. We have got to be pleased with the point.'

Indeed we have as we now turn our thoughts to a local derby with Chelsea in midweek, it should be a tasty affair!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=220071#ixzz14aBIVglA

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/houllier-we-should-have-won-95893/?

Houllier: We should have won

Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier believes his team deserved to win against Fulham on Saturday after seeing the held to a 1-1 draw.

Villa took a 42nd minute lead through Marc Albrighton but they squandered numerous chances before Fulham defender Brede Hangeland scored a last-gasp equaliser.

"The overall performance was good," added Houllier. "We sometimes played very good football. I told the boys I am extremely unhappy with the result but the performance was outstanding in terms of effort and discipline and we had enough chances to seal the game. The only thing we could blame ourselves for was that we had the chances to finish it off."

But Houllier, already without John Carew and Emile Heskey, will not be without captain Nigel Reo-Coker for at least three weeks with a knee injury collected in a clash with Jonathan Greening.

"I don't think Nigel will be able to play for another two or three weeks minimum," said Houllier. "It is a knee injury. There was a challenge with Jonathan Greening.

"Jonathan fell on his ankle and he twisted his knee. It is very unfortunate. It is am medial ligament injury and we need to know the gravity of it is."

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was relieved his side managed to steal a point from the game.

"In the first-half I thought we edged the better chances," said Hughes. "I was disappointed to concede just before half-time and in the second-half, Villa were able to get people behind the ball and play on the counter and that was always a worry for us.

"But we kept on going and doing the right things. We didn't ask enough questions in the second-half, in terms of balls into the box, but the one ball we did produce brought us the goal and we are thankful for that.

"At that late stage you are thinking the game is lost and it has gone beyond you. We got something out of the game so we are pleased. We have got to be pleased with the point."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/fulham-1-1-villa-2/?

Fulham 1-1 Villa
Filed under: Match reports — rich
Never judge a book by its cover.  After five minutes we wondered aloud who the Villa number 25 might be.  Toby's programme revealed this to be one Barry Bannan.  Barry Bannan?  We must surely win today.

Especially when captain Nigel Reo-Coker went off injured and was replaced by Kieran Clark, creating a midfield quartet of Martin Albrighton, Bannan, Clark, and England's Stewart Downing.   It was a midfield we should have been able to dominate.

But Gerard Houllier had other ideas.  His young midfielders, all selected ahead of the unfavoured Stephen Ireland, swarmed like flies around... well. Our midfield didn't get a moment of peace, with Danny Murphy being particularly well shut down, sometimes by several men at a time.  They clearly knew all about Mousa Dembele, too.

We couldn't get through.  Dempsey had a chance blocked, Gera's rebound was scoreable but flew over.  Dembele had a half chance.  Dempsey tried a snapshot.  But that was about that.

Anyway, Barry Bannan.  He went from figure of fun to party pooper reasonably quickly, a hollywood ball over our defence (Carlos Salcido's hood) falling to Albrighton, who took the ball in stride and clipped home across Schwarzer.  Oh.

After that we piled it on, but our nice approach work never did find gaps in Villa's impressive defence, and too often we resorted to high balls, balls which Dunne and Collins headed away all game.  Frustrating; how we missed Zamora.  (Which is not to say that Dempsey didn't play quite well, but sometimes the Zamora skillset is invaluable, and he is more or less irreplaceable.)

On we went.  Baird pulled up injured, on came Kelly.  Greening, ineffective, replaced by AJ, Davies and Murphy teamed up in the engine room.   Then Dempsey slipped Johnson through, he had to score... but, clumsily, he didn't, Friedel out quickly to block.   Salcido, playing okay, was crunched by Luke Johnson and went off.  On came Duff, who looked bright, but still nothing doing for the whites.

With visiting in-laws decorating our spare room (soon to be nursery)  I called it a day with a minute of injury time played.  Beat the crowds, catch a bus, whizz home.  That was the idea.  I wouldn't miss anything.  We had dominated in so many ways, yet Villa had kept us at arm's length, a fantastic away performance given available players.  I'll forgive Fulham anything in the majority of games, but this Villa team was absolutely there for the taking, and we just didn't show enough, we didn't make life difficult enough.  We had no answer to Villa's urgency, we had no way through their well-drilled defence.  Disappointing.  I trudged down Stevenage Road and heard that noise, the noise that makes you happy because we've equalised, but sad because you've missed it through your own idiocy. Rats.  Diddy Hamilton:  "The Fulham goalscorer number 5, BREDE HANGELAND!"

I really hadn't seen that one coming.

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hughes-satisfied-villa-point-1230591?

Fulham boss Hughes satisfied with Villa point

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was satisfied with their 1-1 draw against Aston Villa.

Hughes was relieved his side managed to steal a point from the game.

"In the first half I thought we edged the better chances," said Hughes. "I was disappointed to concede just before half-time and in the second-half, Villa were able to get people behind the ball and play on the counter and that was always a worry for us.

But the return of striker Andrew Johnson, out of the game for 13 months with groin and knee injuries, was a boost for Hughes.

He had a gilt-edged chance to score after coming on as a second-half substitute but Villa keeper Brad Friedel won the one-on-one contest nine minutes from time.

"Andrew looked bright," added Hughes. "I just felt we needed to stretch the game. We kept going and that is the positive we will take from it.

"But Andrew showed once again he still has that awareness and I am sure he was disappointed not to convert his chance. But credit to Brad who came out very quickly and closed his angle down. It was good play all round."

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/albrighton-has-fulham-all-at-sea-but-then-ensures-their-rescue-2127417.html?

Albrighton has Fulham all at sea but then ensures their rescue
Fulham 1 Aston Villa 1

By Conrad Leach at Craven Cottage

Just when Aston Villa remembered how to score they showed they have forgotten how to win. The visitors arrived at Craven Cottage without three first-team forwards but Marc Albrighton's goal ended a scoring drought of 385 minutes – more than four games' worth.

Unfortunately for Gérard Houllier, especially given that Villa created many more chances than their hosts, one bad break means their winless run stretches back five games to the end of September. With the match four minutes into stoppage time, Brede Hangeland got a header on Danny Murphy's free-kick that brushed off Stephen Warnock's chest and got past Brad Friedel.

Unfortunately for Houllier as well, he has also now got himself in an argument with John Carew. The Norway forward is injured but in an interview accused Houllier of "lacking respect" for him. Houllier hit back, calling the former Valencia player "stupid", accusing him of "living in the past", a reference to fans singing Carew's name for goals he scored in past seasons but not in the current campaign. After a pointed reference to Carew's dubious fitness record, Houllier did say the row would not stop him picking the player when he is fit.

Having reached 94 minutes with only Albrighton's goal to show for it, Villa need Carew, as well as Emile Heskey and Gabriel Agbonlahor fit again. One of that triumvirate would almost certainly have got the second that would have put paid to Fulham.

Yet any of them would have been impressed with the way Albrighton finished, trapping Barry Bannan's cross-field pass and curling his shot inside the far post. Sadly for Albrighton he also conceded the free-kick that led to Fulham's goal.

Villa had the game's outstanding players: Stewart Downing and the midfield pair of Bannan and Ciaran Clark. Not far behind was Mark Schwarzer. The Fulham goalkeeper denied Downing after only three minutes but his most important intervention came in the 89th. A move started by Stephen Ireland, who has also felt Houllier's wrath, led to Downing crossing for Ashley Young. His header was not powerful but Schwarzer still had to scramble across to push it away. At the time it seemed inconsequential but that was before Albrighton's late mistake that left Houllier so rueful. "I'm disappointed with the result," he said, "but have told the players their performance was outstanding."

Attendance: 25,676

Referee: Peter Watson

Man of the match: Bannan

Match rating: 6/10

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/06/fulham-aston-villa-premier-league?

Fulham's Brede Hangeland steals injury-time point from Aston Villa

Aaron Hughes says: "There is still this perception of 'nice little Fulham', but the manager and us players have other ideas – we want to be competing with the big clubs." The central defender and his colleagues may have a way to go but Brede Hangeland's late equaliser against Aston Villa proved they do not lack fight, and it is heartening to hear that a club with no great riches still believe high ambition in the Premier League is credible.

For Gérard Houllier, though, the disappointment of emerging with only a point was compounded by his being forced to respond to comments made by John Carew, one of his injured strikers, following the Villa manager's statement on Friday that he needed to prove himself with a run in the team.

The Norwegian striker was reported in his country's VG newspaper as saying: "If he wants me to fight for a contract, he should speak to me directly and not through the media. This is disrespectful to me and to the fans who sing my name week in, week out."

But a visibly angry Houllier said: "I think he's stupid. How can he say that? I didn't lack respect. I was asked a question in the press conference [regarding the extended run] and I said: 'Yes.' I think he is living in the past at the moment. He should look at figures of how long he has played and the goals he has scored. I didn't lack respect for him but he's shown me a lack of respect. I'm not going to say sorry."

Carew is unavailable due to a calf problem and Houllier seemed to hint at disquiet regarding the 31-year-old's injury record. He said: "We were very unlucky with him. One day he was supposed to play but had a back problem, another a calf and then he fell ill between a teamtalk and a game."

Before Hangeland's headed finish Hughes's band of hopeful improvers had welcomed a Houllier gang that had gone 344 minutes since last scoring in the Premier League, with each team on 12 points, separated only by the home side's superior goal difference.

The Villa drought would end on 385 minutes when a sweeping left-to-right diagonal ball from Barry Bannan found Marc Albrighton, who performed an old-fashioned trap of the ball to move it into his path before finishing beyond Mark Schwarzer.

While Albrighton had been the previous league scorer for Villa (also in London, against Spurs), the contest proved an equal match of styles and ability, with each side offering moments of menace.

Danny Murphy bent in an early free-kick from the left that forced Brad Friedel into a double-fisted punch, and it was from this area that Fulham peppered Villa during the first half.

As well as Carew, the visitors were without Emile Heskey and Gabriel Agbonlahor due to injury. This led Houllier to place the 19-year-old Nathan Delfouneso at the tip of a 4‑4‑1‑1. But he was quiet on an afternoon in which Nigel Reo-Coker joined the infirm list – it also features Stilian Petrov – with a medial ligament problem that may rule him out for three weeks.

On the hour Hughes swapped Jonathan Greening for Andrew Johnson before introducing another attacker, Damien Duff, for a defender when Carlos Salcido was forced off 10 minutes later. When Johnson fluffed his one big chance when in on Friedel, Hughes's hopes had appeared to fizzle out.

But Hangeland was about to intervene. "We kept going and kept trying to do the right things, which was the key," was the verdict of a delighted Hughes.

THE FANS' PLAYER RATINGS AND VERDICT

CHRIS LLOYD, Observer reader It was a good result in the end but we dominated in the first half, especially the first half-hour. We missed a lot of chances through Moussa Dembélé, and Zoltan Gera especially. When we conceded the breakaway goal we struggled. We played well last week so we were expecting to carry on that form. Villa dominated the second half and we were very disappointing. Mark Hughes made the changes, bringing on Andrew Johnson, Stephen Kelly and Damien Duff. Hopefully, Hughes will switch it around for the next match at Chelsea. We lack bite and look weak in midfield.

The fan's player ratings Schwarzer 6; Baird 6 (Kelly 58 4), Hangeland 7, Hughes 7, Salcido 6 (Duff 69 6); Davies 6, Greening 5 (A Johnson 59 6), Murphy 6, Gera 4; Dembélé 6; Dempsey 7

JONATHAN PRITCHARD, Observer reader Villa played extremely well with a lot of players out injured for this match. Marc Albrighton played very well and Barry Bannan was excellent. He was our best player by far and our man of the match. He has fantastic vision and ball-playing skill and has a very bright future. There is a lot of promise with the kids and on that performance Houllier will have to keep playing them. We got on top at the end of the first half but we didn't take our chances and suffered. That's the Premier League. Sadly, our results aren't matching our performances away from home, but it's our fault as we did have a lot of chances to win.

The fan's player ratings Friedel 6; L Young 7, Dunne 6,Collins 7, Warnock 6; Bannan 8, Reo-Coker 6 (Clark 33 7), Downing 6; A Young 6 Albrighton 7; Delfouneso 6 (Ireland 88 n/a)

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/210066/Fulham-s-Brede-Hangeland-flies-in-to-sink-Aston-Villa/?

FULHAM'S BREDE HANGELAND FLIES IN TO SINK ASTON VILLA

GERARD Houllier put his faith in youth and found out the future looks bright for Aston Villa.

But it wasn't enough to help them get over their recent travel sickness and record their first win since September.
Brede Hangeland's goal denied the visitors with virtually the last play of the game as Fulham staged a desperate late fightback.

And it was tough luck on Villa, who had lost four of their last five away but looked good value for the win here after three of their youngsters dominated the game.

Marc Albrighton, 20, celebrated signing a new three-and-a-half-year deal with the club to finally end their Premier League goal drought that had run to a whopping 386 minutes.

His first-half strike – made by 20-year-old man of the match Barry Bannan – looked like being enough until Hangeland struck.

But the giant Norwegian headed home a Danny Murphy free-kick in the third minute of stoppage time to break Villa hearts. With Albrighton, Bannan and 19-year-old Nathan Delfouneso proving a constant threat it was hard to believe how the Cottagers had pulled it off.

But there is a determination about Fulham under Mark Hughes and they simply refused to lose ahead of Wednesday's tricky trip to Chelsea.

Villa had travelled south more in hope than expectation, reeling as they were from the loss of big John Carew to a calf injury. As a result, Houllier was forced to defend the punishing double-session training regime his new fitness coach recently implemented.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/forced-up-a-one-way-street/?

Forced up a one-way street
Filed under: Analysis — timmyg
Heading into the game, the fact that Villa would be without their three varsity forwards meant that a clean sheet could be a very realistic possibility.

But, last time Villa visited the Cottage they had not scored in 389 minutes. And within a four minute span just before halftime, they scored twice en route to 2-0 victory. This time, it had been 344 minutes since Villa scored. And they scored just before halftime en route to a match that should have ended 1-0 in their favor.

I say should because Fulham were quite, quite poor on the day. But more importantly, we never really adjusted to what Aston Villa were throwing at us. Or, forcing us into.

The transition from defense to offense was negligible not just in the second half — when we needed it to work the most — but all day long. As soon as our midfield got the ball, the Villa midfield would be on our heels pressuring us to either turn the ball over or pass it back to our defense. When we managed to get past midfield and look to threaten, there was little off ball movement by our forwards to get behind their organized back line and defensive midfield.

So why was their such morass not just in the first or second halves but throughout the entire game? First, look at the starting lineups:

According (and thanks) to the ever-thorough Football-Lineups.com, Fulham started in a 4-1-3-2 while Villa started in a 4-2-3-1. Although I feel Fulham played more of a straight 4-4-2, the point remains: there were a lot of bodies in the midfield.

With Duff starting on the bench and Davies sucked into the middle, coupled with Young starting just behind Delfouneso and Agbonlahor out with an injury, there would be no width in this match for either side.

So now look at this average positioning chart from soccernet (pardon on the blurriness of the image — I did it quickly in photoshop). We're in red, Villa are in blue.

It's a clusterfark in the middle. And as a result, especially after their taking the lead, Villa were so compact that any time we got past midfield I counted at least 8 men back defending their net. So without any width to begin with, and later to end with, it was an exercise in blunt frustration for our side.

Yet thanks to their 4-2-3-1 formation Villa were able to find space in between our defense and midfield. Mainly through Young they pestered our backs all game long — even squandering several clear goal scoring chances late in the match. It reminded quite a bit of the Germany/Australia game this past summer where Ozil basically ran rampant in between the midfield and defense. Thankfully Ashley Young is no Mesut Ozil and we didn't pay a hefty price at the end.

It would be easy to pen blame on Hughes for not recognizing this moshpit of a midfield earlier and making tactical changes to either offer more width or find a way to shut down Young. But injuries to Baird and then Salcido — our only reliable crosser so far this season — along with Riise not even being on the bench, forced his hand. The game would have to remain straightforward until something gave.

Thankfully, and perhaps rightfully, Fulham equalized at the death on a dead-ball cross. It was an extremely frustrating match to watch, but more so considering there was little we could do to change it.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/161910/Fulham-1-Aston-Villa-1-Houllier-s-Bright-start-ruined-by-Brede-Hangeland/?

FULHAM 1 - ASTON VILLA 1: HOULLIER'S BRIGHT START RUINED BY BREDE HANGELAND

GERARD HOULLIER put his faith in youth and found out the future looks bright for his Aston Villa.

But Brede Hangeland's last-gasp goal denied the visitors their first win since September with virtually the last kick of the game.

It was tough on Villa, who had lost four of their last five away but looked good value for the win here after three of their youngsters dominated the game.

Marc Albrighton, 20, celebrated signing a new three-and-a-half year deal with the club to end their Premier League goal drought at 386 minutes.

His first-half strike was made by man-of-the-match Barry Bannan, also 20, and looked like being enough until Hangeland struck.

The giant Norwegian headed home a Danny Murphy free-kick in the third minute of stoppage time.

With Albrighton, Bannan and tricky Nathan Delfouneso, 19, proving a constant threat, it was hard to believe the Cottagers had pulled it off. But Mark Hughes' Fulham simply refused to lose.

Yet Houllier still praised his Villa youngsters, saying: "Had we won we would all be praising them but we are on a learning curve. The future will be with some of these youngsters.

"We're extremely unhappy with the result but the performance was outstanding. We had enough chances to seal the game."

Young Delfouneso was Villa's only fit striker but the kids were all right to start this game, with two of them combining as Delfouneso headed wide an inch-perfect Albrighton cross.

Fulham's Clint Dempsey was denied by Brad Friedel, who stuck out a leg to save his goal-bound shot. Villa suffered another injury blow when skipper Nigel Reo-Coker was forced off.

Fulham almost scored when Hangeland strode out of defence after chipping the ball over Albrighton and fed Jonathan Greening.

His deep cross was nodded on by Zoltan Gera but Moussa Dembele struck his volley over the bar.

Villa grabbed the lead just before half-time when Bannan played in Albrighton who cut inside to score.

Andy Johnson almost nicked an equaliser but Villa keeper Friedel threw himself at the striker's feet.

So it was heartbreak for Villa when Hangeland rose above Ciaran Clark to head home Murphy's free-kick deep into stoppage time.

Hughes said: "Hangeland showed a real desire to get on the end of a quality ball into the box. We've got to be pleased with a point. At that late stage you think the game's beyond you. But we kept going and got our rewards."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-1-1-villa-hangeland-nets-injury-time-goal-cottagers-1231101?

Fulham 1-1 Villa: Hangeland nets injury-time goal for Cottagers

Fulham have spoiled Aston Villa's party by scoring a 94th minute goal to force a draw at Craven Cottage.

Villa winger Marc Albrighton opened up proceedings in the 41st minute when he cut in from the right before smashing the ball into the bottom corner past Mark Schwarzer.

The points were heading to Villa until Fulham centre-half Brede Hangeland stepped in and headed home an injury-time David Murphy free-kick to make it 1-1.

Fulham: 1 (Brede Hangeland 90+4')
Aston Villa: 1 (Marc Albrighton 41')

Venue: Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
Crowd: 23,654
Referee: Peter Walton
Yellow cards: FU - Damien Duff 90'
AV - nil

Starting Line-Ups

Fulham
Mark Schwarzer (gk), Carlos Salcido (Duff 69'), Brede Hangeland, Chris Baird (Kelly 58'), Aaron Hughes, Zoltan Gera, Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey, Jonathan Greening (Johnson 59'), Simon Davies, Moussa Dembele

Subs - David Stockdale (gk), Stephen Kelly (58'), Andrew Johnson (59'), Damien Duff (69'), John Pantsil, Dickson Etuhu, Eddie Johnson

Brad Friedel (gk), Luke Young, Stephen Warnock, Richard Dunne, James Collins, Stewart Downing, Ashley Young, Marc Albrighton, Nigel Reo-Coker (Clark 33'), Barry Bannan, Nathan Delfouneso (Ireland 88')

Subs - Brad Guzan (gk), Ciaran Clark (33'), Stephen Ireland (88'), Carlos Cuellar, Eric Lichaj, Steve Sidwell, Jonathan Hogg

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/late-leveller-and-carew-row-frustrate-houllier-2410725.html?

Late leveller and Carew row frustrate Houllier

Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes had spoken of his frustration at Fulham being considered a small team before yesterday's game, saying: "There is still this perception of 'nice little Fulham', but the manager and us players have other ideas -- we want to be competing with the big clubs."

The centre-back and his colleagues may have a way to go but Brede Hangeland's late equaliser against Aston Villa proved they do not lack fight, and it is heartening to hear that a club with no great riches still believe high ambition in the Premier League is credible.

For Gerard Houllier, though, the disappointment of emerging with only a point was compounded by being forced to respond to comments made by John Carew -- who along with attacking colleagues Emile Heskey and Gabriel Agbonlahor is on the injury list -- after the Villa manager's statement on Friday that he needed to prove himself with a run in the team.

The Norwegian striker was reported in his country's VG newspaper as saying: "If he wants me to fight for a contract, he should speak to me directly and not through the media. This is disrespectful to me and to the fans who sing my name week in, week out."

But a visibly angry Houllier criticised the player. "I think he's stupid," he said. "How can he say that? I didn't lack respect. I was asked a question in the press conference (regarding the extended run) and I said: 'Yes.' I think he is living in the past at the moment. He should look at figures of how long he has played and the goals he has scored. I didn't lack respect for him but he's shown me a lack of respect. I'm not going to say sorry."

Before Hangeland's injury-time finish Hughes's band of hopeful improvers had welcomed a Houllier gang that had gone 344 minutes since last scoring in the Premier League, with each team on 12 points, separated only by the home side's superior goal difference.

The Villa drought would end on 384 minutes when a sweeping left-to-right diagonal from Barry Bannan found Marc Albrighton, who performed an old-fashioned trap of the ball to move it into his path before finishing beyond Mark Schwarzer.

On the hour Mark Hughes swapped Jonathan Greening for Andrew Johnson before introducing another attacker, Damien Duff, when Carlos Salcido was forced off. When Johnson fluffed his one big chance when clean through on Friedel, Hughes's hopes had appeared to fizzle out. But Hangeland was about to intervene. "We kept going and kept trying to do the right things, which was the key," was the verdict of a delighted Mark Hughes.

Observer

- Jamie Jackson at Craven Cottage

Sunday Independent

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/houllier-we-should-have-won?

Houllier: We should have won

Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier believes his team deserved to win against Fulham on Saturday after seeing the held to a 1-1 draw.

Villa took a 42nd minute lead through Marc Albrighton but they squandered numerous chances before Fulham defender Brede Hangeland scored a last-gasp equaliser.

"The overall performance was good," added Houllier. "We sometimes played very good football. I told the boys I am extremely unhappy with the result but the performance was outstanding in terms of effort and discipline and we had enough chances to seal the game. The only thing we could blame ourselves for was that we had the chances to finish it off."

But Houllier, already without John Carew and Emile Heskey, will not be without captain Nigel Reo-Coker for at least three weeks with a knee injury collected in a clash with Jonathan Greening.

"I don't think Nigel will be able to play for another two or three weeks minimum," said Houllier. "It is a knee injury. There was a challenge with Jonathan Greening.

"Jonathan fell on his ankle and he twisted his knee. It is very unfortunate. It is am medial ligament injury and we need to know the gravity of it is."

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was relieved his side managed to steal a point from the game.

"In the first-half I thought we edged the better chances," said Hughes. "I was disappointed to concede just before half-time and in the second-half, Villa were able to get people behind the ball and play on the counter and that was always a worry for us.

"At that late stage you are thinking the game is lost and it has gone beyond you. We got something out of the game so we are pleased. We have got to be pleased with the point."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-1-1-Aston-Villa-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Brede-Hangeland-grabs-last-gasp-equalizer-to-cancel-Mark-Albrighton-s-early-effort-article623339.html

Fulham 1-1 Aston Villa: Sunday Mirror match report

Brede Hangeland is becoming something of a match-saving specialist for Fulham.

Remember the last ditch equaliser that deprived Manchester United of a three point haul ? Well, he proved yesterday that was no one off moment of glory.

Until he struck during the last of the four minutes added on by referee Peter Walton, Aston Villa's injury-ravaged team looked favourites to record a victory against the odds at Craven Cottage.

And Fulham manager Mark Hughes admitted as much. "You think when it gets that late in the game that we might not break through," he conceded.

"But in fairness to the players, they did not give up and they kept going. And Brede did it for us again."

The similarity to the strike against United was uncanny. Men pushed forward in a last desperate attempt to secure a draw, an expert delivery from Danny Murphy from a free kick and Hangeland's header from six yards was deflected past Brad Friedel off Stephen Warnock.

Fulham's delight was Villa's misery - but it was another Norwegian who had the attention of Villa manager Gerard Houllier during his post-mortem on the game.

John Carew and Houllier have history from their time together at Lyon - and it showed in a 24-hour war of words between the pair.

Carew's contract is up at the end of the season and Houllier said last week:"John is at the end of his contract and it is an opportunity to express what he wants - whether he wants to stay or go elsewhere. In both cases I would say he has got to be at his best to put himself in the shop window."

Cue Carew's riposte. "If he wants me to fight for a contract he should speak to me and not through the media. This is disrespectful to the fans who sing my name week in, week out."

Back to Houliier. "He is stupid," said the Villa manager leaving no margin for misinterpretation of his feelings.

"Instead of the fans singing his name he should have the players calling his name. What he said was disrespectful. John is living in the past. It is a good job I know him. I just think he should focus on the games. Will I pick him again ? Yes."

It is a shame that the spat captured the attention. There was a more positive aspect of life at Villa to emerge from the match - the young talent coming through at the club. "We had four players of 20 and two players who have started in the Premier League only this season," said Houllier who saw two of them combine for the opening goal. It was Villa's first strike ion some six and half hours but it was worth the wait.

Three minutes from half-time, the outstanding 20-year-old Barry Bannon produced a searing cross-field pass that prompted a superb first touch from another Villa starlet Mark Albrighton. It was truly exquisite as he killed the pace, ran clear into the Fulham area and stroked it past Mark Schwarzer.

Chances came for Villa to see off the Fulham challenge as they looked to exploit the pace of Nathan Delfouneso and Ashley Young on the break.

"We had to be wary of that," said Hughes. But Albrighton's inexperience was exposed as injury time came to a close. He gave away a needless foul - " he will learn from that," said Houllier - and that provided Hangekand with the chance to score.

There were unconfirmed reports that Houllier muttered "Bloody Norwegians !" from the dug out. You couldn't blame him.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-1-1-Aston-Villa-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Brede-Hangeland-grabs-last-gasp-equalizer-to-cancel-Mark-Albrighton-s-early-effort-article623339.html#ixzz14aFzAW9K

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8115056/Hughes-happy-with-point.html

Hughes happy with point
Fulham boss Mark Hughes was relieved his side managed to steal a point from the 1-1 draw with Aston Villa.

Marc Albrighton put Villa into the lead but the hosts levelled at the death from Brede Hangeland.

WhiteJC

Stephen Ireland is considering his future at Aston Villa less than four months after his arrival from Manchester City, having failed to earn a regular first-team place under new manager Gerard Houllier.
(News of the World, subscription required).