watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 22/11/19...

Started by WhiteJC, November 22, 2019, 08:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

QPR ace needn't panic as Fulham clash provides chance for him to improve current stat

Ilias Chair has been a revelation at Queens Park Rangers under Mark Warburton, but he's yet to score this season.

A new dawn is upon QPR and it's fronted by Mark Warburton. The former Brentford boss came in over summer and completely revamped and revitalised the club.

14 players came into the club but Warburton has made first-team players out of some who were already at his disposal, but hadn't played all that much football – the likes of Ryan Manning and Ilias Chair have both come into the first-team proper this year.

Chair has featured in all but one of QPR's league games this season. He plays on either side of a midfield three with Ebere Eze on the other, and a holding midfielder in behind.

He had spent the second-half of last season on-loan at League Two Stevenage where he scored six goals in 16, and it prompted Warburton to throw him straight into the first-team this year.

It's paid dividends so far – Chair is enjoying a good spell in the QPR first-team and fans have quickly warmed to the Belgian. He's a classy midfielder with bags of technical ability and a good work-rate.

In 15 Championship games though Chair has failed to score once. His side aren't exactly missing the goals that he could be scoring but the longer he goes without one, the more frustrated he'll surely become.

QPR travel to Fulham this weekend and what would've been a long afternoon for QPR has been dealt a favour with the suspension of Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Warburton will want his side to take the game to Fulham at Craven Cottage and Chair will likely start in midfield, and be on the hunt for his first Championship goal of the season.

Fans get the impression that one he gets off the mark then he won't be able to stop scoring, but for now Chair just needs to keep doing what he's doing and the goals will soon come.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qpr-ace-neednt-panic-as-fulham-clash-provides-chance-for-him-to-improve-current-stat/

WhiteJC

Inconsistent Fulham plagued by old problems - Interview

Fulham have been able to blow away the likes of Millwall and Reading, but lose to Barnsley and Stoke in an inconsistent start hampered by poor defending and a staid style of play, according to our regular Craven Cottage contributor Konk.

You went up to the Prem with such a lovely team and highly sought after manager – more a Premier League team than a Championship team so the commentary cliché went – and then completely ballsed it up. How and why?

A lot of our success had come from Ryan Fredericks and Matt Targett getting forward quickly from the full-back positions, with Fredericks in particular a great outlet with his pace. Lots of balls cut back into the box or the edge of the box, with Mitrovic, Cairney and Johansen getting on the end of them. Fredericks went to West Ham on a free, and Targett returned to Southampton, as we weren't prepared to spend the £16m+ they wanted.

McDonald, Johansen and Ream had all been excellent during the promotion season, but many thought they'd struggle to adapt to the Premier League. We then signed an injured Alfie Mawson, who even now looks pretty pedestrian and ponderous, and big money signings like Schurle, Seri and Anguissa, none of whom came anywhere close to justifying their fees or wages. Neither keeper we signed was an improvement on Bettinelli either.

The defence would have been ropey anyway, but injuries and poor form meant we never had a settled back line at the start of the season, results were terrible and the whole squad was bereft of confidence. Jokanovic was unable to tighten things up at the back, Schurle and Seri began to look like they didn't care, and whilst many including myself would have kept Jokanovic on to see what happened this year, it wasn't a shock when he left. Ranieri was an unmitigated disaster.

You've spoken before about the club's recruitment, and role of the chairman's son in this, and that really seemed to come home to roost last year – you took a decent enough side up and then went on a QPR-style trolley dash. What did you make of all that? Has the situation improved?

No, it hasn't improved. Tony Khan is probably a lovely, talented bloke, but he shouldn't be the director of football at Fulham. He has no background in the game – not even a lifetime of watching. He's also based in the US and working on setting-up and establishing a wrestling business. So, he's a part-time DOF too. This summer we did great business offensively, with Mitrovic and Cairney signing new deals, and bringing in Knockaert and Cavaleiro on loan with the option to buy. However, we once again failed to address our defensive problems. I think most Fulham fans recognised a need to bring in a RB and a CB with pace, and ideally an upgrade on Bettinelli in goal. We failed to do any of that by deadline day, although Michael Hector has been signed and will be available from January.

Ins: >>> Michael Hector, 27, CB, Chelsea, £8m >>> Josh Onomah, 22, CM, Spurs, Part Exchange >>> Harry Arter, 29, CM, Bournemouth, Loan >>> Bobby Reid, 26, AM, Cardiff, Loan >>> Anthony Knockaert, 27, RW, Brighton, Loan >>> Ivan Cavaleiro, 25, CF, Wolves, Loan >>> Harrison Reed, 25, CM, Southampton, Loan

Outs: >>> Ryan Sessegnon, 19, LB/LM, Spurs, £24.3m plus Josh Onomah >>> Jean Michael Seri, 27, CM, Galatasaray, Loan >>> Ryan Babel, 32, RW, Galatasaray, Free >>> Rui Fonte, 29, CF, Braga, Free >>> Marcelo Djalo, 25, CB, CD Lugo (Spain), Free >>> Lazar Markovic, 25, RW, Released >>> Berti Schotterl, 24 GK, Lok Leipzig, Free >>> Andre Anguissa, 23, CM, Villarreal, Loan >>> Fabri, 31, GK, Mallorca, Loan

How's the fan relationship with the owner, given everything that's gone on?

Complex. Shad Khan is paying for a new Riverside stand and has made money available to managers, so no complaint in terms of the owner's financial commitment, but it's difficult not to think that he'd have seen a far better return on his investment if he hadn't had his son running the show. Would Tony Khan be offered a similar role by any other club in English football? Probably not.

Scott Parker, did well picking up the pieces in the dog days of last season, but permanent? What did you make of the appointment and how's he doing?

I think the broad consensus was that he did okay last season, but there wouldn't have been an outcry if the job had gone elsewhere. Last year's squad was so unbalanced and the season so grim, that it would be difficult to get a proper idea of anyone's potential in those circumstances. I was pretty neutral on the appointment and remain so, but in the absence of any obvious, available, standout alternatives, I would give him the season to see how he gets on. This season, some who questioned his appointment argue that their reservations have been borne out by some turgid, pedestrian performances, with the same defensive frailties, whilst most would like to see more dynamic displays, and share the same concerns, but would point to the DOF's role in our recruitment/non-recruitment, and Parker having to work within those constraints.

Fulham league results so far...
Barnsley 1-0 Fulham Thomas 13
Fulham 2-0 Blackburn Cairney 31, Mitrovic 82
Huddersfield 1-2 Fulham Grant 57 – Mitrovic 51, Cavaleiro 82
Fulham 4-0 Millwall Cavaleiro 15, 63, Knockaert 32, Mitrovic 61
Fulham 1-2 Forest Mitrovic 81 – Grabban 4, 31
Cardiff 1-1 Fulham Murphy 42 – Mitrovic 45
Fulham 1-1 West Brom Knockaert 49 – Ajayi 80
Sheff Wed 1-1 Fulham Nuhui 90 – Cairney 42
Fulham 2-0 Wigan Bryan 47, Cairney 83
Reading 1-4 Fulham Meite 89 – Cairney 13, 67, Mitrovic 26, 29
Fulham 2-2 Charlton Cavaleiro 55, Mitrovic 63 – Gallagher 41, Bonne 57
Stoke 2-0 Fulham Campbell 16, Gregory 80
Fulham 3-2 Luton Mitrovic 16, 53, 67 – Potts 60, Lua Lua 90
Middlesbrough 0-0 Fulham
Fulham 0-3 Hull Bowler 9, Bowen 57, Eaves 83
Birmingham 0-1 Fulham Mitrovic 52

How do you assess Fulham's start to the season?

A bit underwhelming - 26 points from a possible 48 and losses against Barnsley and Stoke. Fortunately, there don't seem to be any outstanding sides in the division this season, so we're only seven points off the lead, five points off second and two points of a play-off spot. We've played some good stuff at times, but whilst we're recording insane amounts of possession, a lot of that is our two CBs endlessly passing the ball back and forth on the edge of our box. With the exception of the odd game, it's often been a bit dull.

Stand out players and weak links in the side?

At this level, Mitrovic and Cairney stand out, although Cairney seems to increasingly frustrate a section of our support due to a perceived lack of heart/effort when things aren't going well. Cavaleiro and Knockaert have scored some great goals, but maybe not played to their full potential yet. With weaknesses, there's probably room for improvement with most of the squad at the moment, but the defence as a whole, are a bit of a cause for concern.

Is the plan to spend again in January and try and force you over the promotion line back into the Premier League riches? Any names being rumoured and linked for Jan? What's needed to get you there?

Hector is eligible from January and should be an improvement at CB, but then again, we thought that with Mawson, so you never know. I would like to see us sign a keeper and a RB if things haven't improved with either position by then. Not sure we've been linked with anyone yet, but if we don't address the defence then we're going nowhere.

Do you think you'll get promoted? What are the consequences if you don't?

I was quietly confident at the start of the season, but we just don't seem to have found our rhythm yet. If Mitrovic stays fit, we're almost guaranteed goals, but we really need to start getting at teams and putting them under pressure rather than fannying about for the sake of it. If Hector makes an immediate positive impact, then I'll go for third or fourth. Consequences wise, we'd probably lose our better players, but I don't think we'd be facing a meltdown. Pretty sure Khan would like us back in the Premier League by the time our expensive new stand opens, though.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/51307/

WhiteJC

Warburton urges expectations be kept realistic this season as QPR prepare to take on rivals Fulham

Queens Park Rangers boss Mark Warburton speaks about the expectations of his side this season as they prepare to face Fulham.

Mark Warburton has urged that expectations be kept realistic for his QPR side this season as they get ready for another derby game with local rivals Fulham.

The R's sit 10th in the Championship as they head to Craven Cottage on Friday evening, having picked up a 2-2 draw at home to Middlesbrough before the international break.

Scott Parker's Fulham, meanwhile, are two points above Rangers in seventh and beat Birmingham 1-0 in their last game.

Warburton believes his side should be in a higher league position based on their performances this season but does not want expectations to get carried away.

"It's all about expectations being realistic," he said after the draw with Middlesbrough.

"We want to finish as high as we possibly can. We should be higher but you look at a couple of recent things.

"I said to the players before the game (against Middlesbrough), one point out of nine looks like a poor run of form and then we get the feedback from two very, very harsh decisions in the Reading and Brentford games which adds on three or four points to their total.

"There's no lack of ambition or desire but the frustrating thing for me is that one minute you're the pundits' favourite for relegation and now it's 'why are you not in the play-off places?'

"We're human and we're a team that's evolving and developing and we're 16 games in and we're doing alright.

"We've got to keep expectations very, very positive, very real and I hope very much the supporters can see how much hard work is being done by the players.

"I'm very proud of what they've done so far. We've had a good start, we've dropped some silly points but we're right in the mix."

Defenders Yoann Barbet and Toni Leistner will be hoping they can recover from their respective injuries in time for the game.

Liam Kelly also missed out against Middlesbrough with a grade one muscle injury, which normally take around two or three weeks to recover from.

The Cottagers were dealt a huge blow in their last contest when the league's top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic picked up his fifth yellow card of the season, meaning he will serve his one-game suspension against Rangers.

https://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/football/queens-park-rangers/qpr-manager-mark-warburton-urges-expectations-realistic-rangers-prepare-take-on-rivals-fulham-1-6387037

WhiteJC

'Expect fireworks' – Fulham v QPR preview: Six-Pointer

Queens Park Rangers make the short journey across the capital to face Fulham tomorrow night, it what's bound to be an enthralling affair at Craven Cottage.

Two teams in the top ten of the Championship go head-to-head tomorrow night, as the top two domestic leagues resume following the international break.

It'll surely make for a close game at Craven Cottage and with the cameras on it, the players won't want to disappoint.

In the latest FLW Six-Pointer, we preview the clash between Fulham and QPR tomorrow night...

How good are Fulham at home?

"Fulham have taken 14 points from a possible 24 at home this season, placing them 8th in the home form table of the Championship. They lost their last home fixture though when Hull city came and left with a 3-0 win.

Scott Parker's side have certainly dropped the pace at Craven Cottage of late, and that'll be a big boost for QPR."

How good are QPR on the road?

"Fulham are 8th in the home form table, and QPR 8th in the away. Mark Warburton's side have taken 12 points from a possible 21 on the road this season, having won at Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday, Millwall and Hull."

Which side is in the better form?

"Neither are in great form at the moment but QPR are winless in four, and Fulham got their 2nd win in six last time out against Birmingham. Parker's team are probably in the better form at the moment but QPR will be looking to rectify their poor form with a win tomorrow."

Are there any injuries or suspensions for QPR?

"Yoann Barbet and Toni Leistner have both missed games in recent weeks for QPR but are expected to make a return tomorrow night. Liam Kelly also missed the last game due to injury and should return in goal for Warburton."

Are there injuries or suspensions for Fulham?

"Yes, and a big miss it'll be. Aleksandar Mitrovic will miss tomorrow night's game after picking up a fifth yellow card of the season against Birmingham. The Serb has scored 12 Championship goals this season and bagged another three for Serbia over the break, and will be a huge miss for Parker tomorrow."

How much will Fulham miss Mitrovic?

"Fulham without Mitrovic are a whole lot less dangerous. He's the Championship's top-scorer and has scored 21 goals for club and country already this season. QPR will be delighted to not have to face the Serb tomorrow and it could prove the decisive factor in tomorrow night's game – expect fireworks in a feisty London affair."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/expect-fireworks-fulham-v-qpr-preview-six-pointer/

WhiteJC

Win A Signed Fulham Shirt This Weekend!

Keep your eyes peeled on social media for your chance to win a signed Whites shirt.

Download the Sky Bet EFL Rewards App for your chance to win rewards and track your support every matchday this season.

iOS/Apple users: Download here

Android users: Download here

Upgrade the festive mantlepiece this Christmas with a fully signed 19/20 Fulham shirt – courtesy of Sky Bet EFL Rewards.             

Stay tuned for when the giveaway competition launches on Twitter and Facebook.

How to enter:

Like and retweet/share the competition post and download the Sky Bet EFL Rewards App

It's that simple!   

Don't forget to Check-In to the app this weekend, build your matchday stats and earn special club achievements throughout the season. 

iOS/Apple Users: Download here

Android Users: Download here   

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/november/21/signed-shirt-giveaway

WhiteJC

Mark Warburton says QPR are "capable of more" ahead of Fulham clash

Speaking to the club's official website, Queens Park Rangers manager Mark Warburton has said that he feels his side are capable of more, as they sit near the play-off spots heading into this weekend's game against Fulham.

QPR currently sit in 10th place in the Championship, four points away from 6th placed Bristol City after 16 games. Mark Warburton's side have shown they can be dangerous in the early stages of the season but with no wins in their last four games, the R's will be hoping they can bounce back upon their return to action after the international break.

This weekend, QPR face fellow London side Fulham at Craven Cottage, and manager Warburton is hoping to see more from his side as he hopes to build some consistency in their fight for a spot in the Championship play-offs. The 57-year-old said:

"The league is so tough, there is no-one breaking away. Look, we have taken two points from our last 12 and are right in it. It's about being consistent. Any team that can win four out of six, or three out of five with a draw, is going to be in good shape.

"I think we are capable of more – we have shown we are capable of more. We have missed chances, we have made some individual errors but we are a team and we win and lose together. There is no doubting the quality in the dressing room. There is a good mix of youth and experience, and I think we can put our head down and get some good results together."

Waburton then went on to discuss Fulham ahead of this weekend's game, saying that they need to be wary of the quality Scott Parker's side possesses, even with star striker Aleksandar Mitrovic out through suspension.

"Everyone knows they are a very talented squad. Yes, they are missing Mitrovic (suspended) so we presume it will be Reid or Kamara to come in. You look at Knockaert, Cavaleiro, Cairney, Johansen, they are a very, very talented team.

"Given time and space they will hurt any opponent. What we have to do is deny them what they want and make sure we impose ourselves on the game because we have the quality as well.

"We respect them but it's about QPR, it has to be. It has to be about what we do really well. We will have to challenge ourselves but I am looking forward to a really good fixture."

https://the72.co.uk/149609/mark-warburton-says-qpr-are-capable-of-more-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

Rodák: Good Friends

Marek Rodák knows he has the support of Marcus Bettinelli, after winning back the gloves from his mate.

Having served a one-game suspension, Rodák was back in the starting XI for the win at Birmingham City, and impressed as Fulham secured a gritty 1-0 win.

When asked about his relationship with Bettinelli, Rodák told fulhamfc.com: "We're really good friends.

"He's a few years older than me so he's always helped me, from showing me around when I first joined, to helping and supporting me when I started getting involved with the First Team.

"We've got a really good relationship and I know he's fully behind me, like I was with him when he had the shirt.

"It was maybe a bit unfortunate for Betts because when he came on against Boro he kept a clean sheet, but it was the gaffer's decision and he put me back in.

"It was important to get the win before we went away on an international break. I thought we deserved it, the team played well.

"I was pleased with my performance, making a few saves – a clean sheet is always nice."

After marking his league debut for Fulham with victory over Luton Town, Rodák was again selected for our trip to Middlesbrough a few days later.

His afternoon would last just 17 minutes, though, when he was shown a straight red card; somewhat frustrating when you're trying to establish yourself as the Club's number one...

"Yeah especially because it wasn't handball!" Rodák stated. "If I had handled it then fair enough, but it was my chest, so that was very frustrating.

"The referee wasn't having any of it, he didn't even ask his linesman, but that's football."

Friday's meeting with Queens Park Rangers could signal a first West London derby for Rodák – an opportunity he's relishing.

"I'm buzzing," he said. "They've started quite well, I know some of their players and they will be a threat. But we've prepared well and always back ourselves.

"My first game was a night time match at the Cottage and it was a special atmosphere, so I'm sure Friday will be the same."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/november/21/marek-rodak

WhiteJC

Fulham must respond to setback tomorrow night and ensure it's just a blip: Comment

This article is part of Football League World's 'Comment' series, this content strand is where the author of the article issues their personal opinion on the topic at hand....

Fulham have had a fairly good start to the season, but they'll be hoping that they can become even better in the coming weeks.

The Cottagers have a very good side for the Championship and on paper they have one of the best squads in the league. Players such as Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ivan Cavaleiro and Anthony Knockaert have all been star performers in the Premier league let alone in the Championship.

It's quite interesting that they haven't been able to find consistency yet, but after a successful 1-0 win over Birmingham just before the international break, they have to ensure that they can turn this into a successful run.

Fulham's last Championship home game was against Hull and supporters left Craven Cottage in disgust as the side were thrashed 3-0 in front of their own fans. On another day, it could have been five or six and Scott Parker has to make sure he gets a response from his side in their next home game.

That comes on Friday night, the Cottagers host London rivals QPR under the floodlights in what should be an entertaining game with the R's yet to keep a clean sheet so far this campaign.

There is one slight concern for Fulham though, and that's Mitrovic's suspension that he will suffer. He has now received five yellow cards in the current season, meaning that he'll miss the game with Mark Warburton's side.

The Cottagers have to ensure that the defeat to Hull was just a blip, otherwise they may find themselves wondering whether the side is playing to its full capabilities under Scott Parker. If they continue to concede goals the way they have done in front of their own fans, then pressure could begin to mount on the boss – especially with expectations so high.

This QPR game is massive for morale, confidence and the season. The win could give Parker's side the boost that they need to get rid of the inconsistency that is in their performances and move up the table.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-must-respond-to-setback-tomorrow-night-and-ensure-its-just-a-blip-comment/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Queens Park Rangers
FRI 22 Nov 2019   Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Tom Cairney has five goals this season - seven fewer than Fulham's leading scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is suspended after the Championship's top scorer accumulated five cautions.

Joe Bryan (back), Harry Arter (calf) and Tom Cairney (illness) could all return after missing the win at Birmingham on 9 November.

QPR will be without midfielder Geoff Cameron for the west London derby, as the American serves a one-match ban.

The trip to Craven Cottage has come too soon for Yoann Barbet (muscle injury) after missing the past three games.

Boss Mark Warburton will run the rule over players returning from international duty before naming his side.

Rangers have gone four games without a win but are 10th in the table, two points behind seventh-placed Fulham and just four points off the play-off places.

Match facts

Fulham have lost just one of their past seven league matches against QPR (W4 D2), though that defeat was at Craven Cottage in October 2016.
    QPR are unbeaten in their last two away league visits to Fulham (W1 D1) since losing five in a row between 1999 and 2015.
    QPR won their last away league London derby against Millwall - they haven't won consecutive away London derbies since October 2010.
    Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored more Championship goals than any other player this season (12) and has scored seven of Fulham's last nine league goals.
    Fulham haven't lost consecutive home Championship matches since October 2016 under Slavisa Jokanovic.
    QPR manager Mark Warburton's one away league match at Fulham was in April 2015, winning 4-1 with Brentford when the Cottagers were managed by Kit Symons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50428929

WhiteJC

Fulham 10K Raises £7,500

On a chilly Sunday morning, 7,000 runners (of which 45 were fans) took to the streets of Fulham to take part in the adidas Fulham 10k in support of the Foundation.

The race started on the iconic New Kings Road, to head through Parsons Green and Fulham Road before looping back to Eel Brook Common.

Runners enjoyed the flat and spacious closed roads, with many achieving PBs. Foundation runner Andrew Nippard flew around the course in an incredible 36 minutes, finishing in the top 40.

CEO of the Foundation, Mike McSweeney, who also took part in the race, said: "I would like to say a big thank you to all the runners who joined me last Sunday and also to everyone who supports the Foundation, including our staff.

"We have great people, doing impactful community work every day. As the CEO I try to lead from the front, but the reality of the 10k meant I was nearer the back!"

The 45 runners raised a superb £7,500 for the Foundation.

Special mention to Fulham fans Stuart Lutes, Ben Reed and Fiona McLellan who were the top three fundraisers, raising £1,800 between them.

You can still make a donation here: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/adidas10k

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/november/21/fulham-10k-raises-7500

WhiteJC

Collins Column: Club v Country – Mitro Edition

Players jetting off to play for their countries brings a myriad of different situations up, but what can Fulham learn from it? Jack J Collins takes a deep dive into Serbia and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The international break is a divisive place in the world of football. Some people can't wait for club football to return, others sped their time avidly following their country around the world, and even more still simply enjoy the respite, letting the time away wash over them until their normality is restored.

There's a few of us, however, who absolutely adore the International break, not only for the opportunity to see our own nation in action but for the opportunity to see some of the more unlikely matchups yielding a different perspective on certain players.

It got me thinking then, about the differing ways that different players contribute for club and country, and where better to start than a man in unreal form for both – our man on fire himself, Aleksander Mitrovic.

Is there anything Fulham could learn from the way Serbia feed our number nine, with his ten goals in EURO 2020 qualifying nearly equalling his total for the season so far, and especially against opposition of the calibre of Portugal or Ukraine, both of whom he netted against in the last couple of months.

So, Serbia. Over their qualification campaign, they've lined up mostly in a 4-2-3-1. In many ways it's remarkably similar to Fulham's system. At the back, Serbia utilise the crossing ability of Filip Mladenovic on the left – or occasionally Aleksandar Kolarov, although he fulfils a similar role to Tim Ream as a ball-playing CB for his country on an increasing basis – but have the more defensively-minded converted CB Nikola Milenkovic on the right hand side. Some attacking flair on the left but little on the right, in a back four – it sounds familiar.

The midfield balance rings some comparisons too. The 'pivot', if you will, is Palace's Luka Milivojevic, who sits deep in the 6 role; and a rotating cast alongside him – Torino's Sasa Lukic, Sevilla's Milan Gudelj and Getafe's Nemanja Maksimovic have all played there of late – all of whom offer a fair amount of defensive nous and a high-energy approach.

Mitrovic remains up top solo, for the most part; despite experiments to crowbar Real Madrid man Luka Jovic into the side alongside him. Long term, there will have to be discussions about how to get two high calibre strikers into the same side, with their strengths appearing to compliment each other, but for now, Mitrovic has kept his singular place with a streak of form that has made himself undroppable for club and country.

Mitro being able to play in a two up top, especially one which utilises a quick, poacher-type alongside him however, is something that would open up options for both Parker at club level and on the international stage, but that's one for a little bit later on.

What's really interesting for me is the way that Dusan Tadic operates behind Mitrovic. With Adam Llajic, Filip Kostic and Nemanja Radonjic rotating wide, Tadic has featured mostly as a number 10, relinquishing his role up front where he featured so heavily for Ajax, but still remaining tight to Mitrovic. It's allowed Tadic to assist almost half of Mitro's goals in qualifying this year, and it's in this perhaps, that Fulham can learn the most from the playmaker.

In recent weeks, we've seen Tom Cairney drop further back to accommodate collecting the ball against opposition happy to sit deep, but on this showing, Mitrovic thrives most with someone playing close to him, allowing him to sniff out chances in the box.

Take his goal against Ukraine, for example, where Tadic is in and around the box, steps back to collect and then plants an inch perfect ball just outside the six yard box for Mitro to take down and fire home.

his is where Cairney could perhaps do similar. Sitting higher would not only add to his already impressive goals tally this season, as we saw in the first few fixtures, but also would allow him to get back into the habit of providing dimes for his frontman.

This isn't the only solution, and in no way am I digging out the skipper, who is having a good season in his own right, but it gives Fulham options. If TC wants to drop deep, where he has shown that he can also be effective, then perhaps it's better for him to crash back into a number 8 role alongside Harrison Reed, and let Bobby Reid play off Mitrovic in more of a 4-4-1-1.

It's a specific role, and it would take time to adapt, but if Reid can stay forward and get around for scraps, as well as finding a partnership with our number 9, then it opens up the range of options that Fulham have, as well as allowing us to keep the ball higher up the field.

Serbia are by no means perfect, and this isn't a suggestion that to play to their strengths would automatically benefit ours, but it's interesting to see the levels of joy that they have had with a creative number 10 high up the field, against sides of the calibre of Portugal or Ukraine. It's just further food for thought for Scott to allow Fulham to break down teams then things aren't necessarily going our way.

Clearly, we won't see these results against QPR, with Mitrovic suspended, but if Bobby Reid does lead the line as expected, and does the business, it will add weight to the ideas that a player close to Mitrovic, or experimenting with some sort of combination up top, might still be a key solution for Fulham this season.

COYW.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-11-21-collins-column-club-v-country-mitro-edition/

WhiteJC

Firefighter Claudio Ranieri takes on another rescue mission at Sampdoria

Italian coach has made a name for himself trying to revive fortunes of struggling teams across Europe

From where Claudio Ranieri views them, at a distance but with a deep understanding, Leicester City look very familiar right now: poised near the top of the English Premier League, ominously in-form outsiders in the title race, and with a point more at this stage of the season than they had in 2015-16. That was the year Ranieri made them champions.

From his vantage point in Genoa, Ranieri had until lately been liking the look of Nantes's start to this French season, too. They were settling comfortably into second place, which is as good as it gets for anyone other than Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1, until an abrupt loss of momentum this month. Under Ranieri, two seasons ago, Nantes never suffered anything like their current, four-match losing streak.

As for Fulham, well, it would push a point to suggest that, at Ranieri's last port of call in English football, there is any nostalgia for the 'Tinkerman'. Just over a year ago, he took on the job of rescuing Fulham from a relegation crisis. He never solved the crisis, but, benevolent man that he is, Ranieri will be pleased to see Fulham climbing towards the play-off positions in the Championship, hopeful of a quick bounce back to the top division.

Ranieri lasted barely half a season at Fulham, been and gone almost before you could say 'dilly ding, dilly dong', one of the catchphrases he introduced into dictionary of English football: he used it to describe the imaginary bell he would ring to focus the minds of his Leicester players.

All of them would remain forever thankful for the positive thinking, the organisational rigour Ranieri brought to the English midlands for the most extraordinary nine months of Leicester's history, and probably the Premier League's.

But when the bell rang for Ranieri's time there, sacked only two thirds of the way into the defence of the magical title, some relationships had become strained. What was never in doubt was that another challenge would come to Ranieri very quickly. They always do.

Last month, Ranieri embarked on his fourth different gig since he left Leicester. That's four new contracts, with four clubs in three leading leagues in the space of 28 months. Nantes lasted a full campaign, and they achieved mid-table respectability. Fulham was, all told, a failure, although Ranieri was not there long enough actually oversee the moment of relegation, and it was certainly not a failure that left a lasting stain.

Not much more than week after departing Craven Cottage, Ranieri was being unveiled as the head coach of Roma, in the city of his birth, at the club where he played as a young defender in the 1970s, and where, in a previous stint as manager, he had come close to a Serie A title.

His second spell at Roma was always likely to be temporary; 'Sir Claudio' as he has been known in Italy since the Leicester fairytale, tasked with trying to haul the club into Serie A's top four, and Champions League qualification. He fell three points short, which meant he stayed Claudio the Caretaker, and available for the next firefight that needed an experienced, engaging expert to sort it out.

Sampdoria called Ranieri in early October. They were rock bottom if the Italian top division, had lost six of their seven fixtures and the luckless Eusebio di Francesco, already sacked by Roma in February, was then leaving his second Serie A employer within the space of eight months. Di Francesco may have suspected how the story would go. Just as at Roma, Ranieri stepped into his place, flak jacket at the ready.

"I am here to save Samp," he promised, eyes sparkling, but jaw set firm. He then described the role that has come to define him, in his late 60s, his days of fairytale title-chases apparently behind him. "I have not come to nurture young players or develop the squad. I am here to demand of the players: Go out onto that pitch and run until you die."

So far, so bullish. The Samp of Fireman Claudio, in this, his 20th job in management, have not been an unconfined joy to watch, but since stifling Roma in a goalless draw that began the Ranieri reign there have been two further clean sheets, a victory over SPAL and only one loss from his five matches in charge.

Samp host Udinese, 12th in the table, on Sunday on the back of a three-match unbeaten run, and knowing a win would likely take them out of the bottom three.

"It will be a hard job until the end of the season," predicts Sir Claudio. "But all the jobs I have done have been tough." And only one of them seemed truly blessed."

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/firefighter-claudio-ranieri-takes-on-another-rescue-mission-at-sampdoria-1.940891

WhiteJC

26-y/o Fulham ace will surely be relishing his chance to grab the limelight in absence of star on Friday night

This article is part of Football League World's 'Player view' series, this content strand is where we put ourselves in the shoes of a given player, and offer an opinion-based outlook on the perspective on the situation at hand...

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been nothing short of exceptional since his arrival at Fulham nearly two years ago.

Signed on an initial six-month loan from Newcastle United in January 2018 to aid their promotion push the Premier League, the Serbian netted 12 goals in 17 games to help inspire a hard fought play-off victory.

In the Premier League he shone as well, even when the vast majority of his Fulham teammates appeared to wilt under the pressures of the top-flight, netting 11 goals as the Whites were emphatically relegated straight back to the second-tier.

It would have been hard to begrudge him a move away after that campaign, but in the summer he committed five more years of his career to life at Craven Cottage, already netting 12 times in 16 games this time around.

He is comfortably the best striker in the division at present and a huge weapon in Scott Parker's bid to return the club to the top-flight at the first-time of asking.

However, they will need to make do without him this Friday night when they welcome QPR to the Cottage for a West London Derby.

Prior to the international break, Fulham saw-off Birmingham City in a 1-0 win at St. Andrews. It was another match where Mitrovic was the hero, but it was a match where he also picked up his fifth booking of the Championship season, suspending him for the R's clash in the process.

A big blow for the club and their fans. But it could be viewed as a big opportunity for others.

Ivan Cavaleiro was signed on loan from Wolves back in the summer and has impressed, although is perhaps yet to hit the heights expected of him.

The 26-year-old has found the back of the net four times and provided four assists as well, but he will surely see Friday night as a real opportunity to assert himself as the main man on the banks of the Thames.

Fulham will be looking for somebody to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and bully what has often been a fragile QPR back line.

Whether that is from out wide or from down the middle, Cavaleiro is the one with the physique to do that and I am sure that he will be relishing the opportunity.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/26-y-o-fulham-ace-will-surely-be-relishing-his-chance-to-grab-the-limelight-in-absence-of-star-on-friday-night/

WhiteJC

Parker and Warburton ready for Craven Cottage clash

Scott Parker is eyeing a promotion surge.

Fulham boss Scott Parker and QPR counterpart Mark Warburton go head to head on Friday night with both men believing a positive result could kick-start their push for promotion.

The Cottagers lie seven points behind Sky Bet Championship table-toppers West Brom in seventh, with visiting Rangers two points further back in 10th.

But such is the congested nature of the table, with just nine points separating the top 10, clubs' fortunes can rise and fall dramatically within a matter of days.

"It's a league where if you win two or three games, you're right up there," said Parker.

"We've seen over the course of many seasons that this division is very different to the Premier League. In the Premier League, a six or seven-point gap and the league is done and dusted.

"The last time we got promoted, we were struggling by Christmas but then we went on a little bit of a run. If we get a run going, we'll be around it. We've shown flashes of brilliance and performances that have been everything I've wanted."

Warburton echoed those thoughts but knows things need to improve after a sequence of two draws and two defeats before the international window.

"The league is so tough, there is no-one breaking away," he told www.qpr.co.uk.

"We have taken two points from our last 12 and are right in it. Any team that can win four out of six, or three out of five with a draw, is going to be in good shape.

"I think we are capable of more – we have shown we are capable of more. But we are a team and we win and lose together. There is no doubting the quality in the dressing room."

Warburton welcomed Nahki Wells, Jan Mlakar, Ebere Eze and Matt Smith back to training in midweek after they spent time away with their respective countries, but may treat them with kid gloves.

"Some of the boys have been away on international duty and you run the risk of injury and fatigue," he said.

"They are all back now, safe and sound thankfully, but you always have that fear as a manager."

Both sides have a suspension to deal with, with the Cottagers' Aleksandar Mitrovic and QPR's Geoff Cameron missing out.

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/uk_national_sport/18052300.parker-warburton-ready-craven-cottage-clash/

WhiteJC

QPR have a major advantage in Fulham game, but pressure is on them to take it – Opinion

This might sound a bit like a rallying cry, and I suppose it sort of is.

Because the message at the end of the day rings true, and that is that QPR might not get a better shot for some time, both in terms of beating Fulham and really putting a marker down for the rest of the season.

Fulham come into this game on the back of a massive problem, and that is that their main man Aleksandar Mitrovic will be out of this game through suspension, and given that he has been involved in 50% of their goals so far this season (via Transfermarkt) he is going to be a huge loss for them, and a massive gain for us.

Given how porous Mark Warburton's men have been at the back this year, coming in joint second when it comes to goals conceded in the Championship this season, we need all the help they can get if we are going to defeat our SW6 counterparts, and thankfully we got handed it when it comes to Mitrovic's suspension.

And given that we've been given such a huge advantage, it's imperative that we end up taking it.

A win on Friday night, away from home, against one of the perceived big boys in the division will act as a huge warning to the rest of the league that QPR should be taken seriously.

Results against the big teams haven't gone in our favour this year, with the likes of Swansea City, West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United, but despite all that, QPR even got as high as 5th in the table earlier this season, so the potential is there for the team to really make a challenge at the top end, but that can only come by beating the teams that are around us in the table, and those that many think are the contenders for the top prize.

A win can really act as a benchmark to push the team higher up the table, starting with the game against Fulham.

https://qpr.vitalfootball.co.uk/qpr-have-a-major-advantage-in-fulham-game-but-pressure-is-on-them-to-take-it-opinion/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs QPR: Championship clash live on Sky Sports Football
Watch live on Sky Sports Football from 7pm; Kick-off is at 7.45pm

Fulham face QPR in the Sky Bet Championship on Friday night, live on Sky Sports Football.

Team news

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is suspended for their Sky Bet Championship clash with west London rivals QPR on Friday night.

Mitrovic picked up his fifth booking of the season in their last game before the international break, so will miss the game at Craven Cottage. Tom Cairney (illness), Harry Arter (calf) and Joe Bryan (back) could all return, however.

QPR will also be missing a player through suspension, after Geoff Cameron also picked up his fifth booking of the campaign.

Yoann Barbet, meanwhile, has failed to recover from a muscle injury.

Recent form

Fulham got back to winning ways before the international break as they won 1-0 at Birmingham. That result saw them bounce back from two disappointing previous results that saw them draw 0-0 at Middlesbrough then lose 3-0 at home to Hull.

QPR have slumped to four games without a win, while their last two results have seen them lose 2-0 at Leeds and then draw 2-2 at home to Boro.

What the managers said...

Fulham's Scott Parker: "This league is about momentum. International breaks have come at the wrong time for us, so certainly that could be pleasing. We're looking to put our foot to the floor and see where it takes us.

"It's a league where if you win two or three games, you're right up there"

QPR's Mark Warburton: "It's all about expectations being realistic. We want to finish as high as we possibly can. We should be higher but you look at a couple of recent things.

"I said to the players before the game [against Middlesbrough], one point out of nine looks like a poor run of form and then we get the feedback from two very, very harsh decisions in the Reading and Brentford games which adds on three or four points to their total."

Talking point: How will Fulham cope without Mitrovic?

Fulham have scored 24 goals in the Championship this season, and 12 of them have been struck by Aleksandar Mitrovic. They would be nine points worse off with him.

However, the Serbian finds himself suspended for the visit of QPR, having picked up five yellow cards, so how will they cope without him leading the line? They have no obvious replacement for him in the squad and it will give their west London rivals a huge lift.

Opta stats

Fulham have lost just one of their last seven league matches against QPR (W4 D2), though that defeat was at Craven Cottage in October 2016.

QPR are unbeaten in their last two away league visits to Fulham (W1 D1) since losing five in a row between 1999 and 2015.

QPR won their last away league London derby against Millwall - they haven't won consecutive away London derbies since October 2010.

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored more Championship goals than any other player this season (12) and has scored seven of Fulham's last nine league goals.

Fulham haven't lost consecutive home Championship matches since October 2016 under Slavisa Jokanovic.

QPR manager Mark Warburton's one away league match at Fulham was in April 2015, winning 4-1 with Brentford when the Cottagers were managed by Kit Symons.

Prutton's prediction

How will Fulham get on without Aleksandar Mitrovic? He has been so, so important to them since he arrived at the club and his suspension is a huge blow for this west London derby.

QPR have hit the buffers in recent weeks, and are without a win in four. Maybe the international break will have given them a chance to recharge their batteries and they can grab a draw.

David Prutton predicts: 2-2 (12/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-qpr/preview/409545

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: Sky-high standards and a culture of winning helping to define Fulham's Premier League charge

Parker confident Fulham are on the right path to promotion. ( Getty Images )

Scott Parker promised to create the right culture at Fulham and he is confident the club is on the right track in their bid to return to the Premier League.

Fulham sit seventh in the Championship and face west London rivals QPR at Craven Cottage on Friday night looking to step up their promotion push in the run up to Christmas.

"It was a very difficult season last year," says Parker. "We lost a lot of matches and struggled, then in the space of three or four months expectation has changed and we are expected to win every game comfortably playing exciting and attractive football. That change in mind-set and belief is going to take a bit of time, but we will get there.

"If you go to any club fighting relegation you will often find the same problems and they are more deep-rooted than technical ability, they are probably more engrained in people's attitudes. That was a big thing for me to get right, which I feel we did and it is about building on that this year and instilling some of the things which are key to being successful.

"I was asked this week what was the difference between the West Ham side I was in that got relegated and the Chelsea team I was in that won the title. Of course there is an element of ability, the Chelsea team had some very good players but then so did the West Ham team.

"The main difference was the mentality, an understanding of what is needed, a drive and ambition to improve every day. That became a habit for the Chelsea team and it did not for the West Ham team. That is what we are trying to do here."

The 39-year-old former England international explains: "It is day-to-day habits. When you are trying to change habits and mentality, they do not just happen and it needs to be every day. Standards here now are second to none and every day we are driving things that I feel are important to being a successful team.

"Turning up on time, having some clear goals every day, there are no days off, making sure you give everything in training every day. I know that sounds pretty basic to a fan but I have been at some clubs where that is not the case.

"When the players get out of their cars in the morning and walk through the doors, they know what is expected of them. That they give everything for the three or four hours they are at the football club and they train as hard as they can, because that is the only way we are going to get better.

"There is more to very good teams and very good football clubs than just people's talent. We have got an unbelievably talented squad but there are other facets to making great teams and clubs. That is a process we are working on every day. Of course we try to improve them technically, but I realise to make successful teams you need more than that.

"If we had a magic wand and could just click our fingers and get success, life would be easy. I realise there are going to be some bumps this year because we cannot go from where we were last year to all of a sudden being unreal. We want to take quick steps but we understand there is a process."

Fulham were touted as favourites for automatic promotion with the talent in their squad like Aleksandar Mitrovic, Tom Cairney, Ivan Cavaleiro and Anthony Knockaert.

"In some games we have been brilliant," says Parker, who will be without the suspended Mitrovic against QPR. "On the flip side there have been times this season I have been disappointed and I have not seen the team I want to see.

"Are we on the right journey? For sure, I honestly feel that. I realise there are going to be blips. Would we like to be top? Of course. But we are where we are and are we close? For sure. We need to keep believing and I have no doubt we will be alright."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/scott-parker-skyhigh-standards-and-a-culture-of-winning-helping-to-define-fulhams-premier-league-a4293396.html

WhiteJC

Preview | Fulham U23s v Swansea City U23s

Swansea City Under-23s coach Cameron Toshack says it is important that the development side continue to be competitive in today's Premier League 2 Division Two showdown with Fulham (7pm).

Supporters are advised that the match will not be available to view on swanseacity.com or our official Facebook page.

The young Swans travel to Motspur Park aiming to end a run of four consecutive defeats in all competitions.

Meanwhile, Steve Cooper confirmed that Aldo Kalulu will enjoy his first action in three months as he steps up his return from injury.

Despite the recent results, a youthful development side have produced encouraging performances, while several first and second-year scholars have been handed their first opportunities at this level.

And Toshack insists that must be taken into consideration ahead of facing the Cottagers, who they could leapfrog in the table with victory this evening.

"It's important that we continue to be competitive. With the young group that we now have, it's important in their learning that they try to strive for consistency," he said.

"The average age of the squad is now under 18-and-a-half. That's something everybody needs to take into consideration but, at the same time, we challenge our players to be winners.

"They deserve credit because they've made a lot of progress since the start of the season.

"They have shown that they're capable of producing good performances, and today will provide another opportunity for them to show where they're at.

"In recent games, the boys have also had more experienced players drop in for the opposition. They must see that as a real positive.

"It's a situation they're not necessarily familiar with, but it's certainly a step in the right direction regarding their learning."

Fresh from their exploits with Wales at under-21 level, the likes of Jack Evans, Liam Cullen and Brandon Cooper are likely to return to the fold for the under-23s.

All featured in Tuesday's 1-0 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina in a crucial European Championship qualifier.

Elsewhere in a hugely successful international break for the Swans with Wales, Connor Roberts helped the senior side qualify for Euro 2020 with wins over Azerbaijan and Hungary, while Lewis Webb and Cameron Evans were part of the under-19s side that progressed to the elite round of the European Championship.

"We're really pleased to welcome back the Welsh internationals from their recent games. They have all done really well." Toshack added.

"Our group is always very proud when our players go away on international duty and experience the challenges it brings.

"It provides another huge positive for us."

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/preview-fulham-u23s-v-swansea-city-u23s

WhiteJC

Fulham are lethal going forward but unless they tighten up they won't gain promotion

In this week's EFL on Quest column - pundit Ian Holloway has his say on Fulham's playing style, Leeds' lack of options and Premier League clubs in waiting

I like Fulham going forward, I just felt they let too many goals in last year and that can be damaging to the group when you can't keep clean sheets.

I think Scott Parker is a wonderful fella, I really like him and he's cutting his teeth in management and there's no doubt he has got the right character to shine through.

It is just that balance - have they sorted out those holes in defence? It was their style they went from being open and out playing you by being over attacking and at times they tried doing that in the Premier League and they got burnt.

Can he make them not quite so open, not so attacking and have enough in defence to stop leaking goals. It is all about having the base to do something.

If you can't defend properly or if you are an attacking team and you're not defending behind your last attack you'll get done on the counter attack. That is quite a big problem to have.

Leicester won the Premier League title brilliantly a few years ago by counter attacking against the best, having a lot less possession but still stinging them and beating them.

That is the transition he's trying to go through because they are very attack minded.

They've got probably the best striker in Aleksandar Mitrović I would suggest.

I love him - an old fashioned number 9. When they signed him they went to the next level.

But they lost Ryan Fredericks who was a huge part of their success. They lost Ryan Sessegnon who was a huge part of their success.

So that is like having to rebuild isn't it? But attacking wise I do like their options and they could come into it but for me it is all about January.

It is all about when this window opens, who can add the best. And when they signed Mitrovic it was the best signing of the window and it got them the biggest reward with promotion.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-lethal-going-forward-unless-20929199

WhiteJC

Pundit names player Leeds must snatch from Championship rivals in January to guarantee promotion

Former Leeds United striker Noel Whelan has claimed that the club would be certain of winning promotion to the Premier League this season, if they signed striker Aleksandar Mitrovic from Fulham in the January transfer window.

Mitrovic has been in prolific form ever since he joined Fulham from Newcastle in February 2018, scoring 35 goals in 75 appearances in all competitions for the Cottagers, with his 12 in the Championship so far this season putting them top of the league's individual scoring charts.

Leeds meanwhile are currently third in the Championship table, although as things stand, they only have Patrick Bamford and Arsenal loanee Eddie Nketiah to call upon in the centre forward role, something it seems Whelan feels needs to change at the turn of the year, as he told Football Insider: "Leeds need another centre-forward in January, two isn't enough.

"Who would I most like from the league? If we had Mitrovic at Leeds we would romp the Championship."

Explaining his admiration for the 25-year-old, Whelan continued: "Seriously. He's that good. He ticks every box for a striker at Championship level – big, powerful, committed, great in the air and on the deck, excellent finisher, a massive threat in and around the box.

"I wouldn't expect us to sign him from Fulham but it would be brilliant if we did."

Mitrovic only signed a new contract with Fulham – who are currently seventh in the Championship following relegation from the Premier League last season – in July, with his new deal set to keep him at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2024.

The Verdict

I absolutely agree with Whelan here.

Mitrovic has been in outstanding form since the start of the season, and with the supply that he could receive at Leeds from the likes of Pablo Hernandez and Jack Harrison, means he would surely be able to get the goals needed to help fire Marcelo Bielsa's side back to the Premier League.

However, as Whelan says, I simply can't see there being anyway in which Leeds would be able to secure his services in January.

With the length of Mitrovic's current contract at Fulham, the Cottagers will be under absolutely no pressure to sell their key man any time soon, and they certainly aren't going to want to let him go to a team such as Leeds, who they themselves will see as a rival for promotion back to the top flight.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/pundit-names-player-leeds-must-snatch-from-championship-rivals-in-january-to-guarantee-promotion/