watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

train travel

Started by sid far i, November 07, 2010, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid far i

Lots of people have mentioned to me about cheap train travel to away games but in the past i've generally driven with my sons, but now because of work commitments they are unable to go all the time, so how do i get the massively discounted train tickets that people talk about? i overheard someone mention that they had bought a ticket to newcastle in advance for £20 do these things exist or am i wasting my time looking online? any help appreciated

The Doctor

Cheap tickets generally have to be bought well in advance of the date of travel.  I'll be amazed if you can find any cheap tickets for next weekend.

As a rule-of-thumb, tickets are ususally a bit cheaper if you buy direct from the train company rather than from a site like Trainline as they add a commission to the ticket price

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Start here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets

Sometimes it is best to buy  two singles rather than a return
also get a train to a nearby town and then get local transport
( For example day return to York was £22.50 but Newcastle was £80.00 )
York is only up the road from Toon  as is Leeds or indeed Sheffield

and www.eastcoast.co.uk/    do cheap overnight with train travel

finnster01

Interesting. Some very creative thinking there. Didn't think of doing that.

Personally, I pretty much gave up on finding cheap trains a long time ago. I found it about as easy to come by as an honest red scouser or a good Japanese project manager. I think the last time I felt I got a good train fare the conductor was a chap called George Stephenson 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on November 07, 2010, 04:13:39 PM
Interesting. Some very creative thinking there. Didn't think of doing that.

Personally, I pretty much gave up on finding cheap trains a long time ago. I found it about as easy to come by as an honest red scouser or a good Japanese project manager. I think the last time I felt I got a good train fare the conductor was a chap called George Stephenson 

My beloved K Cat ( with her very weird new name) has some great ideas when it comes to cheap travel etc. Infact if you wanted someone to help you out regarding Fulham you'd find no better. Lovely lady who will go out of her way to help you , just gutted we didn't meet up in Hamburg and i ended up cheating on her with Big Mumma (the floozy threw herself at me in the Thomas Reid). K Cat i salute you  :Sparkyticus:  :Sparkyticus:  :Sparkyticus: and are you going to Newcastle?

ScalleysDad

About 12 weeks in advance I can get tickets from Exeter to Clapham Junction for £12 and £18 each way but the tickets are on specific trains. A standard return even brought in advance is much more than that. As has been said look at the local networks as well. Clapham at 18.27 was becoming mad bonkers and if the Gooners are at home the train is pretty full when it pulls in so now I go to Waterloo after the match. A single from Waterloo to Exeter is around £40 but a return from Clapham to Waterloo to fill in the gaps is less than £4. Its bonkers but about half the price.
www National Rail Enquiries will give you the nitty gritty detail and then take that to the very nice people at your local ticket office. Kerching kerching.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 07, 2010, 10:29:10 PM
About 12 weeks in advance I can get tickets from Exeter to Clapham Junction for £12 and £18 each way but the tickets are on specific trains. A standard return even brought in advance is much more than that. As has been said look at the local networks as well. Clapham at 18.27 was becoming mad bonkers and if the Gooners are at home the train is pretty full when it pulls in so now I go to Waterloo after the match. A single from Waterloo to Exeter is around £40 but a return from Clapham to Waterloo to fill in the gaps is less than £4. Its bonkers but about half the price.
www National Rail Enquiries will give you the nitty gritty detail and then take that to the very nice people at your local ticket office. Kerching kerching.
Scalleys Dad, not sure if you're going to Newcastle, but my mate Lester who lives in Western super Mare is flying from Bristol to Newcastle for about £80.

ScalleysDad

We looked at that and flights from Exeter. What a way to see a game and a few weeks ago it was very cheap thus allowing an overnighter. I have to earn a mass of brownie points next week and take the current Mrs Short to Twickenham for the ruggerbee. What a jet setter I am. Up to the game yesterday albeit on the lazy train, up again on wednesday and then again next saturday. I'll know every bump on the M4 before long.

michaelread

I dont want to rub it in, but down here I can go from my home town of Newcastle to Nowra (6 hour Train trip) and get off anywhere in between (Sydney is on that route for example) for a grand total of $3.20. If I want to connect and go out west, its $6.40. Standard fare, thats just all it costs.

How come it is so expensive over there? Im ripping my hair out trying to find a decent service from London to Manchester in January that wont cost me a lot, at the moment im going by coach for 30 pounds or so. Great.