watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

TC `s role

Started by colinwhite, November 28, 2019, 08:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

A major change in the last and One and a  half games has been Stefen Johanssen`s move into defensive midfield ,but even more importantly the employment of Tom Cairney in a role alongside him as a second deep-lying play-maker. Harrison Reid has done well but has been labouring for some time to get the ball forward in a 433 set up with him in the defensive role.
Whilst TC `s ability to pick a pass would suggest that he is at his most dangerous in the opponents half , for me his best position and where he has most influence on games is picking the ball up off the back four and helping to play out. Its no coincidence that our domination of the game on tuesday coincided with Toms deeper lying starting position . Mawson to Ream was no longer our most common pass ; it was now Johansen to Cairney with the latter having more touches of the ball than any other Fulham player. At last we have looked more balanced and the addition of Kamara on the right has created a greater variation in our attacking play, giving us aplayer that is more direct ,doesnt slow the play down and is a threat in behind. Bobby Reeds role as the running,mobile number ten working both to support Mitro and even work none-stop in press  get back  to defend as well has made us look ammuch more complete team. long may it continue !

JEEVES

I agree with you but let's say bobbs and AK are injured for the Swansea game and arter is fit I would put TC back behind mitrovic and arter next to stef wouldn't you?

colinwhite

Not sure,might be tempted to play Arter in the more forward role as he will get back ,even from that position. Lets hope they can play

The Rational Fan

I think the key to Stefjo playing defensive midfield is the full-backs not pushing up, at it changes the DM role into a combined #6/#8 that might suit Stefjo more as he gets older, wiser and normal energy levels.

colinwhite

Agreed ,for derbys early chance Odoi got caught in possession, lost the ball and Stef was 5-10 yards out of position for where the defensive midfielder should have been . Alot of ball watching by our defence after that but the root of the problem was this positioning.

ALG01

Quote from: JEEVES on November 28, 2019, 08:52:29 PM
I agree with you but let's say bobbs and AK are injured for the Swansea game and arter is fit I would put TC back behind mitrovic and arter next to stef wouldn't you?

Absolutely not
only make minimal changes TC and stefjo are the biggest strength in this positions, leave them there.

Statto

Quote from: colinwhite on November 28, 2019, 08:48:52 PM
A major change in the last and One and a  half games has been Stefen Johanssen`s move into defensive midfield ,but even more importantly the employment of Tom Cairney in a role alongside him as a second deep-lying play-maker. Harrison Reid has done well but has been labouring for some time to get the ball forward in a 433 set up with him in the defensive role.
Whilst TC `s ability to pick a pass would suggest that he is at his most dangerous in the opponents half , for me his best position and where he has most influence on games is picking the ball up off the back four and helping to play out. Its no coincidence that our domination of the game on tuesday coincided with Toms deeper lying starting position . Mawson to Ream was no longer our most common pass ; it was now Johansen to Cairney with the latter having more touches of the ball than any other Fulham player. At last we have looked more balanced and the addition of Kamara on the right has created a greater variation in our attacking play, giving us aplayer that is more direct ,doesnt slow the play down and is a threat in behind. Bobby Reeds role as the running,mobile number ten working both to support Mitro and even work none-stop in press  get back  to defend as well has made us look ammuch more complete team. long may it continue !

Agree with both posts

During our best spells under Jokanovic, Cairney would regularly come right back in line with the CBs to give them an easy short outlet

filham

Agree with the OP, I have been saying for a long time that Cairney is at his best in a deeper role employed as our main playmaker.

It worked well against Derby let us now leave it like that.

JEEVES

Quote from: ALG01 on November 28, 2019, 09:08:18 PM

Absolutely not
only make minimal changes TC and stefjo are the biggest strength in this positions, leave them there.

I said I agreed. I was giving a scenario. Bobbs and AK both went off injured did they not? So let's say both are still injured along with Harrison reed, and arter is available, what is your plan? Onomah or arter in the attacking midfield role? Thought not.

ALG01

Quote from: JEEVES on November 28, 2019, 09:33:38 PM

Absolutely not

I said I agreed. I was giving a scenario. Bobbs and AK both went off injured did they not? So let's say both are still injured along with Harrison reed, and arter is available, what is your plan? Onomah or arter in the attacking midfield role? Thought not.

Yes i understand the question and the answer is noot simple but i would risk one of the younger players such as de la torre or maybe even kebano...
It is a good question with no simple answer but i do believe the best we can be relies on Tc  stef jo in those positions. TC behind the forwards doesn't work, it makes us worse. That is what i think.

RaySmith

Good points by the op, and in the discussion.

JEEVES

Quote from: ALG01 on November 28, 2019, 09:41:24 PM

Absolutely not

Yes i understand the question and the answer is noot simple but i would risk one of the younger players such as de la torre or maybe even kebano...
It is a good question with no simple answer but i do believe the best we can be relies on Tc  stef jo in those positions. TC behind the forwards doesn't work, it makes us worse. That is what i think.

You'd genuinely rather keep arter or either Harrison Reed on the bench and start LDT or Kebano than put Cairney back into a role we know he's comfortable in? Fair enough. If Parker did something like that I wouldn't be very happy with it but I'd have to watch the game and make my judgement afterwards.

Also I'd be more open to seeing O'Riley playing there than either of them.

ALG01

Quote from: JEEVES on November 28, 2019, 10:09:26 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on November 28, 2019, 09:41:24 PM

Absolutely not

You'd genuinely rather keep arter or either Harrison Reed on the bench and start LDT or Kebano than put Cairney back into a role we know he's comfortable in? Fair enough. If Parker did something like that I wouldn't be very happy with it but I'd have to watch the game and make my judgement afterwards.

Also I'd be more open to seeing O'Riley playing there than either of them.

I think our diffrence is I do not think tC is comfortable or effective in the more advanced role. This is obviously just opinion but I do think the biggest asset we have seen is stefjo and TC play as they did together on Tuesday, it was so reminiscent of the promotion season and I think breaking that up would be less good for the team. We shall see how it pans out tonight. But I am sure we both agree both AK AND Reid getting injured was mighty cruel!

charlieFFC

I made this post early September, and am glad to see people see a shift in his role. We've definitely changed the system the last 3 games:

"Danny Murphy commenting on Arsenal's philosophy of playing it out from the back not always the right choice as they failed to beat Watford over the weekend.

He talks about his time at Fulham and how he would fall back to the edge of the box to pick up the ball when we played this style but also how Schwarzer would say at times to just get rid.

In our current context I do feel like we need Cairney to come deep and get the ball and not fear getting rid at times. We all agree our defence (particularly CBs / GK) are our weakest area yet we literally are relying on them not only to not conceded but to pull all the strings.

How many times did Mawson and Ream attempt lofted balls which just went out of play.

All for holding the ball but surely get the ball to the people who feel comfortable with it."

I also like how we seem to have a bit less possession and as a result are breaking a bit quicker and putting the oppositions back line under more of a threat.