watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

great win

Started by colinwhite, November 30, 2019, 12:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

Some of football tonight was pure class. Some people dont seem to get that. For all there huffing and puffing Swansea  couldnt really get near us. Toothless boring football with a manager who has to go. I dont think so . 4 wins on the bounce and counting. Long may it continue.

Arthur

Long may our winning run continue, indeed.

When you say 'some of our football was pure class', how much football is this? I ask because the first football I saw from us tonight that, in my opinion, might be worthy of this term was for the first goal - some 20 minutes into the game. Up to half time, there were individual bits of skill that were classy, but I don't recall any other footballing moves that merit the description. At the start of the second half, when we were in the ascendancy, we put together a few passing moves that, in the context of the league we are in, could reasonably be looked upon as being 'pure class'. Thereafter, in the half-an-hour after we conceded, I saw determination and work rate aplenty. But top-notch football? No. So what, may I ask, am I not getting?

As for your saying Swansea 'couldn't really get near us', they were, like us, a footballing side - a footballing side that forced our keeper into action more times than we did theirs. It would be foolish, in my view, to think that, because we have won our last four, we do not need to look for ways to improve on these recent performances. I doubt, for instance, that Klopp, Guardiola and Rodgers only stop to consider how their teams might do better when they lose. Nor should we.

Although, at times, some of the criticism on this forum following a victory might seem harsh, this is no less true of a defeat. After neither outcome, however, is an uncritical eye the most advantageous way for SP to go about achieving promotion - and it's only to be expected that this forum will try to assess what he might need to change.

RaySmith

This was tough game, no doubt about that - Swansea are a very good Championship side, and might be considered unlucky not to get something from the  game.

However, we did something we've been criticised for in the past - we were clinical in front of goal, while our keeper saved us on  several occasions, and our back four, midfield, and indeed the whole team, put in a great defensive shift to keep them out.

Besides the  quality of such as Mitro, Cairney,Cavaleiro Odoi,Johannsen - well it seems unfair to pick out individuals - this was a team effort, and I was very impressed by our mentality, maybe  above all: how the players kept going, and their shape and commitment,  despite  often being under great  pressure from a quality team, with some very good players.

Woolly Mammoth

We did a job v Swansea on their own patch, and deservedly so. We prayed for three points and our prayers were answered. We have players that can win a game, and players that can save a game. We pressed the ball higher, and there was a higher tempo about our game. During this recent winning run of four matches, we are showing more tenacity with an aggressive streak which has made us a more resilient team, and we are mixing our play up a little more, so not quite so predictable. Yes a lot of improvement in the last few weeks alround. Defence is tighter because it is playing as a unit, and the midfield are funnelling back more often and picking up their markers, which creates more depth in our defence. It also helps when you play players in their strongest positions. Also when we lose the ball we are winning it back a lot quicker, because we are hunting in packs. Winning 4 in a row is no coincidence and no luck involved, players are winning their own battles and playing for each other, and that can be the difference between winning and losing.
Once we settled down we played at our pace, and were the governors most of the time, a very mature and streetwise performance considering the opposition, well done Fulham and all the supporters who travelled to watch them. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

colinwhite

Aurther, at the fifty minute mark Swansea were looking so outclassed it was almost embarrassing. They couldnt get any where near us let alone the ball.All that was missing was the 3rd goal at that point. Swanseas are avery good team and were dangerous but frankly clutching at straws. Our keeper made some good saves early on ,but our possession of the ball was controlled, patient but also with purpose .You could feel the confidence of our players even after they got their first goal.
A classsy if not completely smooth away performance.
To suggest that it was a fortunate win or `not pretty `(not suggesting that you mean that ) is frankly laughable.It doesnt mean we are suddenly world beaters but we will get better. Tonight we achieved this victory with Onima on the pitch for 90 minutes and a Kamara that was clearly carrying an ankle sprain. Who would a thought that was possible a few weeks ago.

As for our football that was classy in the first half. After about twenty minutes we completely controlled the game with a slick passing game involving the whole team. Goals change the scoreline but the way we played in possession gradually transfered control over to us and the goals came . We had clasy individuals but the collective play was class last night.Pure and simple.

toshes mate

It was our mental strength that sticks in my mind after the game.  This was a team with a growing sense of belief especially since changes have been forced during the last few games.  Our tackling is getting to be more likely to win fifty-fifty balls, and we are slowly becoming more composed in defence under pressure although there is a way to go. Certainly we deserved the points given we had chances to nail a third goal.  Not the fluid dynamic football played against Millwall for example, but slightly more effective for the job in hand last night which is a big positive for Parker and his coaches.  Disagree that it was classy but it was certainly effective which is what is needed in the Championship for these types of games (think what WBA did to us earlier in the season).

Just one game at a time folks.  The mood is being slowly turned around.

colinwhite

West Brom got played off the pitch for 75 minutes without hardly having a touch  and with Billic looking like a man completely without ideas until we gifted them a goal from a corner. Our controlled performance yesterday was a class above that .