News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

matt Targett, huge mistake by Fulham management.

Started by jarv, December 02, 2019, 01:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

We had a choose between Anguissa for £23m and Targett for £20m, while i conceded making that decision probably costed us points against Brighton, Cardiff and Huddersfield early in the season. Does anyone seriously think Anguissa isn't as good a player as Targett?

As for Ryan Fredericks, do we seriously think we should have paid him the same as Tom Cairney. And, do we think Tom Cairney wouldn't have insisted on a pay rise if Fredericks was on the same as him?

Do we also seriously believe that two lower premier league players that struggle to make teams that maybe relegated would have made much difference. They are weaker players in the XI at their clubs?

peter w

Quote from: jarv on December 02, 2019, 03:07:18 PM
I like Bryan too but he will only ever be a decent second division player. Here in usa, football is on tv all the time and having seen villa several times, Targett has been their best player (behind Grealish) by a country mile. He is premier quality, no doubt about it now. When I watch other teams with an ex Fulham player, I tend to pay attention to them. Maybe we all do.

I wouldn't go that far. He was good against Man U, and at least one of the few that tried at Wolves. He's been slightly more positive than negative but nowhere near being better for us this season over McGinn, Mings, Heaton, Guilbert, El Ghazi to name but 5. He's good going forward but a little rash defensively. But in saying that he coped with James quite comfortably on Sunday so hopefully for us he uses it as a springboard for more consistent performances.

Carborundum

Quote from: The Rational Fan on December 03, 2019, 04:15:20 AM
Do we also seriously believe that two lower premier league players that struggle to make teams that maybe relegated would have made much difference. They are weaker players in the XI at their clubs?
I believe that football teams are either greater or less than the sum of their individual parts.  When you find a player that fits the squad and a system, best not let them slip through the net.  We were horrible for most of last year, far less than the sum of our individual parts.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Carborundum on December 03, 2019, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on December 03, 2019, 04:15:20 AM
I believe that football teams are either greater or less than the sum of their individual parts.  When you find a player that fits the squad and a system, best not let them slip through the net.  We were horrible for most of last year, far less than the sum of our individual parts.

Good Point, but it dangerous to overpay for players just, because they fit into the squad. KMac and Ream fitted perfectly in the 17/18 squad, but wouldn't have paid £20m for either of them. The advantage of buying better value players, like Anguissa, is we can sell them for a decent price if they don't fit in. When you buy players onlyhim  cause they fit it, as soon as they no long fit, you cannot sell them for good money to rebuild. If we had the option to get Taggett on loan then overpaying him makes sense, but offering a five year contract doesn't make sense.

Statto

Quote from: Carborundum on December 02, 2019, 10:42:22 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 02, 2019, 07:09:35 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on December 02, 2019, 04:06:04 PM
I don't really care about the price differential. This isn't Football Manager on the PC.  It's our chairman's money, not mine.

No it's not your money but there's a finite amount of it we can spend on players under FFP. So what if it's a choice of (a) £6m on Bryan and £24m on Mitrovic, or (b) £20m on Targett and £10m on Jordan Rhodes / Chris Martin?
Recent threads on arrangements with Cardiff concerning Bobby Decordova Reid suggest things are perhaps a little less cut-and-dried, a little more flexible. There's a finite amount of money we can spend for this season, we're not spending much of it on BDR but somehow he's out there in a white shirt because the management team wanted him in.  We surely could have got Targett in during a window when we shelled out tens on millions on Seri, Le Marchand and Anguissa. 

But yes, given the choice in your construct I'd rather have Mitrovic and Bryan.  Which is really a commentary about Mitrovic.

We've signed Reid and a number of others on a deferred or contingent basis but, whilst that's a useful way to maximise our spending allowance this season, it isn't rocket science or in any way mysterious, and doesn't change the fundamental point about us having a finite amount to spend.

However to be clear I agree with your point that we could (and for the avoidance of doubt I think we certainly should) have bought Targett *instead* of other players we bought last year, including Seri, Le Marchand and Anguissa (in fact, anyone except Mitrovic, and perhaps Mawson)

Bassey the warrior

It strikes me as odd that people are going on about Targett when Bryan is in good form. Sure we could've done with him last season but he wasn't going to keep us up on his own.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on December 03, 2019, 10:09:24 AM
It strikes me as odd that people are going on about Targett when Bryan is in good form. Sure we could've done with him last season but he wasn't going to keep us up on his own.

I am a bit confused by this thread, yea we could have done with Targett but we were also being held to ransom by Soton so we said stuff it, and got what we could at the time to cover what we could in the team. Yea we did buy some players with no Heart Seri etc etc etc but that's a different argument.

We are sitting third in the table with the best start to a season in donkeys years and Yes I know not all performances have been good but we are doing ok with the left back we have at a third of the price.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

humussapiens

Ironically, we hijacked Bryan from Villa (he passed medical) and Villa got Targett (for less money then asked from FFC?).

FFC - Villa, FA Cup :)