watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

January Silly Season Transfer Thread 2019/20

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 02, 2019, 08:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamsterWheel

Danny Drinkwater being sent back to Chelski by Burnley.... he'd do a job.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jeroen

Quote from: Chutney on January 02, 2020, 10:16:47 PM
why on earth are we bidding for more wingers?

Maybe we want to send Knocky back to free up a loan space for let's say Drinkwater or another DMC or defender?

Bassey the warrior

Drinkwater would be great but probably not affordable. Also, if we were to sign him we'd be wanting to send back Arter not Knockaert. I'd swap Knockaert for another more direct winger though.

sarnian

Drinkwater. According to rumours if he only did what his name suggests then he would be fitter and playing more often.

sarvenpa

I saw Drinkwater play for Burnley and in that form he was,  that would NOT help us......at all!
When fit, Arter will lead our team.

JimmyConway

Dwight Gayle apparently not in Newcastle squad today due to negotiating with another club about possible transfer this month?
I wonder who that team might be considering we have been linked heavily with him in the past?
No doubting his ability at championship level but awful injury record.

grandad

All we need are defenders. Another CB & a couple of good FB´s. No loans, only players that want to play for the Club & not just for the money.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Sting of the North

Quote from: grandad on January 04, 2020, 12:23:07 PM
All we need are defenders. Another CB & a couple of good FB´s. No loans, only players that want to play for the Club & not just for the money.

Why would a player signed on loan with a club option to be made permanent, be any more or less playing for money than a permanent signing?

I also don't think we need a bunch of defenders, but if we could get a fullback with PL potential in, then I'd be happy. The only thing I believe we need otherwise is a good DM, unless they believe Kmac can be revived.

Sting of the North

Very underwhelmed by the names mentioned like Drinkwater who seem to have lost whatever he had. Now is not the time for a player to come in to rediscover himself. It would be one thing if he had been injured, but he has been generally healthy for the last couple of seasons without playing games which means several coaches has deemed him not good enough.

In the summer some interesting names were mentioned at least briefly. Victor Wanyama of Spurs for example I believe was mentioned (probably wishful thinking). After recovering from injury he was a regular towards the last part of last season, and started games both in the league and the CL.

Seem to be massively out of favour at Spurs now, so maybe, just maybe he could be pursuaded to join another London club for 6 months with a view to permanent conditional by promotion. Would sort out any DM worries.

Amartey of Leicester is another that would fill multiple needs as he has mostly played DM, but in the PL has been used primarily as a right back (was a regular to start last season before injury ruled him out). Don't know why he hasn't played so far this season, so may still have issues because of the injury. If he is just not fancied for a place in one of Englands best teams, then I would go for him. Watched him a lot when he played in Sweden and some in Denmark, and back then he was a class above (although that doesn't say much).

Two athletic, strong, tall players with defensive qualities that are also used to playing in England and are of a good age so that they would benefit us massively also in case of promotion.

There are of course two problems, with the first being that it is unlikely that we could get them, and the second that we already have filled our loan quota for the season (so that someone needs to be returned/made permanent/dropped from the 18).

Finnans Right Peg

I see billy sharp is available .would you take him as back up to mitro I know other areas need addressing but i would take him

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jeroen on January 03, 2020, 05:55:12 PM
Quote from: Chutney on January 02, 2020, 10:16:47 PM
why on earth are we bidding for more wingers?

Maybe we want to send Knocky back to free up a loan space for let's say Drinkwater or another DMC or defender?

We have zero wingers signed for next season (not including part-time wingers Reid and Kamara), we have options to buy Knockaert and Cav, plus may extend Kebano and Torres. We should get another winger at the end of the winter transfer window as an option and we buy the two best options of the three wingers.

St. Andrews White

I'd be a bit surprised if we did serious business this window, given we had to wait for the Sess money to come in before we go Hector and we have no more loan spots.

Does anyone know if we can buy any of our loanees now to free up a spot? We surely know we want Reed and Reid of the 5 at the least!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Riversider

DevonFFC

The Rational Fan

Quote from: St. Andrews White on January 06, 2020, 10:13:07 PM
I'd be a bit surprised if we did serious business this window, given we had to wait for the Sess money to come in before we go Hector and we have no more loan spots.

Does anyone know if we can buy any of our loanees now to free up a spot? We surely know we want Reed and Reid of the 5 at the least!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

According to Nottingham Forest, we can sign more than five loans but can only name five in each matchday squad, plus we can convert any loan to permanent during the transfer window. https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/championship-loan-rules-explained-how-3038186

Mince n Tatties

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 04, 2020, 12:41:20 PM
Very underwhelmed by the names mentioned like Drinkwater who seem to have lost whatever he had. Now is not the time for a player to come in to rediscover himself. It would be one thing if he had been injured, but he has been generally healthy for the last couple of seasons without playing games which means several coaches has deemed him not good enough.

In the summer some interesting names were mentioned at least briefly. Victor Wanyama of Spurs for example I believe was mentioned (probably wishful thinking). After recovering from injury he was a regular towards the last part of last season, and started games both in the league and the CL.

Seem to be massively out of favour at Spurs now, so maybe, just maybe he could be pursuaded to join another London club for 6 months with a view to permanent conditional by promotion. Would sort out any DM worries.

Amartey of Leicester is another that would fill multiple needs as he has mostly played DM, but in the PL has been used primarily as a right back (was a regular to start last season before injury ruled him out). Don't know why he hasn't played so far this season, so may still have issues because of the injury. If he is just not fancied for a place in one of Englands best teams, then I would go for him. Watched him a lot when he played in Sweden and some in Denmark, and back then he was a class above (although that doesn't say much).

Two athletic, strong, tall players with defensive qualities that are also used to playing in England and are of a good age so that they would benefit us massively also in case of promotion.

There are of course two problems, with the first being that it is unlikely that we could get them, and the second that we already have filled our loan quota for the season (so that someone needs to be returned/made permanent/dropped from the 18).

I think the loan quote issue doesn't matter too much to get Wanyama on-loan. We can only start with five loan players (out of Wanyama, Reed, Arter, Reid, Knockaert and Cav), but I think we can leave Reed out of the matchday 18, whenever Wanyama, Arter, Reid, Knockaert and Cav are all commanding a place.

I really think we need a specialized defensive midfield that is an automatic starter like Wanyama or Amartey, in order than the defense looks better. Against Luton, out defenders failed to pass the ball to the DM, a better DM will make them look better. As for existing players, I think KMac and Reed are more bench players, while Arter is a more a traditional central midfielder or second defensive midfielder.

Southdowns White

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 07, 2020, 06:38:31 AM
Glenn Murray incoming from Brighton on a free.😵
Slow, Legs have gone, resorts to falling over to get free kicks. That's what the locals tell me.

Facts Not Fiction

You have to be realistic when it comes to a January window.

We shouldn't have to look at midfielders, as we already have Reed, Arter, McDonald, Johansen, Onomah, Cairney and Reid. Add O'Riley to that too, and we have ample cover for every possible midfield combination.

The only position I think it would be good to add cover is a backup LB to push Bryan, and a natural striker to cover Mitro.