watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bob Willis RIP

Started by Carborundum, December 04, 2019, 06:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

A hero of my childhood.  Many wholehearted performances for England, but his headstone could simply read: 8/43.

Rest in peace.

KJS

Great cricketer good man RIP Bob

BestOfBrede

ron

Quote from: Carborundum on December 04, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
A hero of my childhood.  Many wholehearted performances for England, but his headstone could simply read: 8/43.

Rest in peace.

A great epitaph. Those of us who remember that great day and students of the summer game would know instantly who was resting there.

Fulham 442

RIP,  a sad day for English cricket.

Barrett487

Proper fast bowler

"a career-best 8-43 to help England to a famous win over Australia at Headingley in the 1981 Ashes"

A gentleman to boot.

R.I.P. Bob

Woolly Mammoth

Bob Willis, English Hero I salute you, RIP.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

sunburywhite

Personally i always found him a bit curmudgeonly as a commentator
Played his part in Bithams ashes

Started off playing at a young age at Stoke D'Abernon Cricket Club. I remember seeing something on the wall when I played there for Old Surbs
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Twig

He could work up a seriously hostile pace, one of England's great quicks.  So sad to see him leave us at just 70.

HV71

I was there that day at Headingly in 1981 - and the memory lives large. They only needed about 130 - but Bob put paid to that - brilliant , absolutely brilliant ! He was an old boy at the RGS Guildford ( fittingly the home of the earliest reference of cricket as a sport )

You will go down in history - RIP

Fernhurst

RIP Bob, great Sportman and commentator.
Far far too young.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

toshes mate

One of my favourite cricketing characters of all time who could not only play the game at the highest level but as a pundit he profoundly understood both the game and the players and could talk about them with passion, intelligence and individuality.  Irreplaceable and will be sadly missed in so many different ways.

RIP. 

alfulham

I did not realise that he was a Fulham fan until I met him at the cottage last year. Such a great man had time for everyone.
My condolences to his family.

Carborundum

Never spoke to him, but did come across him a couple of times.  The first was on my circular running route about six years ago.  Tall man walking towards me down a pathway by a railway line.  Looks familiar, not sure who, by the time I recognised him I was a few yards away.

Turns out both Bob and I were creatures of habit.  So not long after there I am in a similar place with a man who is definitely Bob Willis loping towards me.  There was only one thing to do, something I had done many times before, but not for a long while.  I impersonated his run up.  Erect posture, measured paces and stiff arm swinging behind me like a pump handle.  Not a word exchanged.  To this day I know not whether he thought I was taking the mickey or lost in thought he didn't notice me at all or recognised it as the tribute intended.  I hope it was the latter.

As a child I practically worshipped him, as a man I see someone who completely made the most of his abilities.  And was utterly true to himself.  Sod Packer, sod Apartheid.  I'll play for England thanks.  Cricket should give him one heck of a send off.

Andy S

Not sure he was liked among cricket circles but always spoke his mind and was never afraid to. Certainly a great fast bowler RIP

grandad

Played with him at Stoke D´Abernon CC. He had to use a curved run up as the boundaries were too short. He only straightened it out after he left Surrey for Warwickshire. His mother Ann was a legend at the club with her teas. A sad premature loss to the cricket world.
Where there's a will there's a wife

BarneyTravers

Recall seeing him in the Brick (right hand side as you walk in) on one of those European nights...should have said hello looking back but I prefer to admire my heroes from afar...like others I mimicked his run up in those halcyon days when Peter West and John Arlott's dolcite tones described the wonderful game of cricket.

So sad.

SG

I was genuinely upset when I heard the sad news. One of the greats of his generation. I can remember exactly where I was watching THE performance on that day. The tributes to him, especially from Atherton, demonstrate how highly regarded and respected he was.

Mullers OG

One of English sports greatest performers. 

The club should re- number the seat in the JH stand where R G D Willis was often sitting watching FFC -

it should from now on be seat 8-43

MikeW

Like others on here, I had no idea he was an FFC fan.  Admired him hugely as a bowler and captain.  The media reports from those who new him describe a man very different from his TV image.  Great loss.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."